• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu "leaks" Laura for Street Fighter V

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If that is a Christy Mack influence on her design that's a little eurrrrgh due to the War Machine shit. :/
I'm annoyed because:

1. people keep implying I never looked at myself in the mirror or seen anyone from the country I live my entire life and that's why I believe in the things I believe.

2. Also that people keep saying that my problem is with what a true brazillian should look like or how a brazillian should be represented, when I very specifically never said anything that comes close to this.
-
She looks like a white brazillian girl to me. Again, she looks like my sister, kind of. And I'm white and so is my sister. This is my perception and I don't know if any argument can change how my eyes and brain react to this. Given this perception, I said: "she could be darker" because we live in a country that has this kind of post-race ideal (how far we are from this ideal is open to debate), it felt like a missed opportunity to make a character from a "melting pot" country like Brazil to look like the rest of the cast.

Of course, if you think she already represents diversity, than that's ok, too, it's your perception and there's nothing I can (or want) to do to change that.

Maybe it's because, to me, "latino" is something really only work from a north american perspective. Otherwise the entire country would just be "latino" and be done with it. So I don't know how saying she looks "latina" means anything, when we have white latinos, black latinos, mixed latinos, and so on.

I don't know what to make of people saying "she doesn't look white, she looks latina" like there is this big, obvious distinction. (and again, maybe there is, but since everyone I know is latino, my perception is off).

And I'm genuinely happy there is a brazillian girl on the roster. As silly as it sounds, it is the kind of thing that does makes me feel more part of the world and all that jazz; I'm saying she could have darker skin because, well, she could, and it would be nice; it's not a complaint, it's not a demand, it's not a call to arms, it's a simple, very straightforward statement: Since she comes from a country with so many dark skinned people, she could also have a darker skin, because more diversity in gaming is, in my opinion, a good thing.

You can disagree with that all you like, but disagree with what I am actually saying.

Sblargh I miss you my friend

Dice//

Banned
I don't think she would have looked worse (i.e.; less sexy) with a sports bra... but I'm loving the hair. <3

Bloodrage

Banned
Now it looks like she's wearing Toad's clothes
M9oYpCZ.png
I was trying to match the Brazilian flag colors, man. I made her 110% Brazilian.

I'm more incredulous at how here tits are supposed to stay in that tiny gi with no support. A black person with with 2 black parents can come out that shade as shocking as it may sound. Is it conspicuous that she isn't darker? Sure

It doesn't help that there's that glowy shit in the engine. In some pics she doesn't look that light.

I'm more incredulous at how here tits are supposed to stay in that tiny gi with no support. A black person with with 2 black parents can come out that shade as shocking as it may sound. Is it conspicuous that she isn't darker? Sure

It doesn't help that there's that glowy shit in the engine. In some pics she doesn't look that light.
2 black parents have a 1 in 1000,000 chance of getting a white baby.

In any case, the outfit is ridiculous. It looks nice but still ridiculous.

I like her design as the next guy, but her chest is totally bullshit. There's no way in hell a BJJ fighter could have those massive boobs and fight properly. That's an SNK kind of bullshit.
I know SF isn't about realism, but we can't forget this is about martial arts. Sexualization could be ok if Capcom is able to make it fit in martial arts somehow.
Even Mika has more sense than Laura. At least she's a crazy wrestler that literally fight with her ass.

"Massive boobs".

Boy you don't know what massive means.

Dude, those boobs are bigger than every boob you ever touched in you life, brestfeeding included.
Also, let's ask to GAF expert what bra cup she wears.
Jk jk
It is possible that I really don't know since I'm not a native speaker. But man you can't deny that her breast looks like they're about to pop out in any moment.

NEO0MJ

Man

Were sfiv character reveal threads like this?

Anyhow, I dig the design. Can't wait to see how she plays.

The Zangief thread is pretty tame. It's just that female character threads can get...messy. And god help us when the subject of skin color is brought up.

mbpm1

I like her design as the next guy, but her chest is totally bullshit. There's no way in hell a BJJ fighter could have those massive boobs and fight properly. That's an SNK kind of bullshit.
I know SF isn't about realism, but we can't forget this is about martial arts. Sexualization could be ok if Capcom is able to make it fit in martial arts somehow.
Even Mika has more sense than Laura. At least she's a crazy wrestler that literally fight with her ass.

I'm glad you brought this up because I actually have a good counterpoint

https://twitter.com/MyMMANews/status/647420033077915648

However she does wear a sports bra so there's another point for that argument

TheOGB

Banned
I'm glad you brought this up because I actually have a good counterpoint

https://twitter.com/MyMMANews/status/647420033077915648

However she does wear a sports bra so there's another point for that argument
Yeah, the problem is less with the breasts* and more with the top Laura's wearing. Sports bra and open jacket would have been fine, even if it did look a bit familiar.

*In and of themselves, there's nothing wrong with Laura's breasts being large. But in a game where only 2 out of 5 female characters don't have ridiculously large breasts (that are made even more ridiculous by an equally ridiculous bug on the 2P side of the character select screen), and a genre full of female characters with ridiculous breasts, and an entire industry practically flooded with ridiculous breasts...

ExVicis

What is even happening in this thread anymore? Boobs? Racial traits? Hair discussion? Is this still a Street Fighter V thread?

What is even happening in this thread anymore? Boobs? Racial traits? Hair discussion? Is this still a Street Fighter V thread?

Street Fighter is way more than just a mere fighting game on NeoGAF.

It's basically a collection of things which are wrong in our society.

Ivan 3414

Not even the same hairstyle.

Demi Lovato and Avril Lavigne could have actually been direct influences on Laura's design too.

rs_600x600-140508143402-600.Avril-Lavigne-Instagram.ms.050814.jpg

lol

I mean...it's not like Christy Mack invented the hairstyle. It's been around...

Direct influence =/= only influence

I'm just saying it's a possibility. Not that this is concrete proof or anything. But when characters are designed, especially when they're looking for a specific real life looks, they tend to look at a variety of sources.

Just look at, for example's sake, this blog post about designing characters for the last SSX game:

One of the character's design was influenced by real life people, anywhere from Shaun White to Justin Beiber. They had a specific idea for a character and used real world examples as a base.

What I was trying to say is that Capcom using Christy Mack as a point of reference is not out of the question. Especially when they look pretty similar in that comparison pic.

Kebiinu

Banned
She looks like the Brazilian stereotype, tbh. Light skinned, hair with volume, sharp eyes and nose, she's beautiful overall.

I don't have a problem with it, it's not like the series is known for their realism. Could have gone a bit more unique given the culture, however.

This post is coming from a Brazilian-American, if that means anything. I'd be interested in a darker skin color as well, but she's about my complexion so I digress.

mbpm1

Take him on a date first you pig. Blanka should have a refined look now, with a ponytail and monocle. Perhaps sipping tea between matches. His other stance should be him unleashing the beast.

Blanka with some of Dudley's moves and damage

Electricity juggles on air hit and you can keep mashing to juggle them indefinitely

Harlock

I wonder if Capcom had choosen the brazilian singer Valesca Popozuda as a model we would be at page 100 already.

contato-contratar-valesca-popozuda-2.jpg

I guess we don't have much to talk about gameplay wise unless we want to makes guesses based on a few images.

Do you think that electric thing is actually a projectile? It has kind of a thin shape for a fireball, maybe it's just some kind of close range special. It also looks like she has a command grab, and having both a fireball and a command grab is a weird combination, is there an existing SF character that does that?

I also thought maybe those hold moves aren't grabs but counters instead. Is "countering" a BJJ kind of thing to do? Maybe partly why Karin lost her counters.

Haganeren

She reminds me of a Jojo character actually....

Not a big fan of her outfit apart from that, too open and not enough color in my opinion... But i see there is already a big debate around here...

Shredderi

Ono is watching GAF

I saw that!

Why are people talking about Christy Mack in here? Ah, you were watching this from a phone and didn't see that her hairstyle includes those cornrow thingies and not a shave! I mean saying that capcom still could have taken influence from Christy Mack would be just pure speculation as she didn't invent the hairstyle and therefore wouldn't really offer any meaningful insight to this as we just wouldn't know :)

Top Bottom