• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu "leaks" Laura for Street Fighter V

sinttulolaowd.png

I can't believe this, how the fuck these guys know.
Haha
Her skin color looks like the girl in the ad. Laura is fine.

Haha
Her skin color looks like the girl in the ad. Laura is fine.

Are you sure?

She looks like the Brazilian stereotype, tbh. Light skinned, hair with volume, sharp eyes and nose, she's beautiful overall.

I don't have a problem with it, it's not like the series is known for their realism.
Could have gone a bit more unique given the culture, however.

This post is coming from a Brazilian-American, if that means anything. I'd be interested in a darker skin color as well, but she's about my complexion so I digress.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
no, clearly they ripped of johanna from heroes of the storm

/s

man every now and then something cool like this pops up and i give a MOBA another try

then i go back to FGs because what is even happening in a MOBA

Akhe

Says the person who quotes Dr. Frank Moya Pons's Historia de la República Dominicana. In which he gets his 10% number from (and freakin cites) Santo Domingo Oficina Nacional de Estadísticas of 1963. :3

And it's not that the population suddenly "grew". They were always there, it's more that as time is going on, more and more people are identifying as such because social mobility while it still sucks is still seeing more and more people who identify as such make something of their lives despite the general racism in DR. Pretty much any DR scholar will tell you racism against blacks was (and still is) bad. You can basically blame it all on Haitian occupation of 1822 and Trujillo. Because of those two events "black" basically become synonymous with "Haitian". No one wants to be confused or identified as such. As Blas Jimenez once said; "Under Trujillo, there was nothing worse than being black, many screamed "I'm mulatto, I'm mulatto!" Being mulatto was what many of us said because we had to. We did it to live."

Also because you asked
CBDAZ0W.jpg

The number will only increase, it's a snowball effect. They see people who have gone through the same hardships as themselves (African Americans) being proud of what they are and striving forward despite setbacks and roadblocks and they figure...why not us too?

That's the bright side really of being an interconnected world.

Brazil? Asian 0? I don't think so.

Akhe

I REALLY don't think people at Liberdade don't identify as asian =P

dTrtdRo.jpg

UOIorAv.jpg

OY395pF.jpg

They would be the biggest posers otherwise xD

Well... São Paulo have the biggest Japan colony in the world. Many, many Chinese are coming to Brazil as well. In every corner you see a Japanese and you know it hahaha

moti-tsuki-2008.jpg

Comitiva%20e%20casal%20de%20modelos%20no%20bairro%20da%20Liberdade%20%20red.JPG

hanamatsuri-011.jpg

= D

And I'm married with an Japanese hahaha

I REALLY don't think people at Liberdade don't identify as asian =P

dTrtdRo.jpg

UOIorAv.jpg

OY395pF.jpg

They would be the biggest posers otherwise xD

I was being facetious, I don't know why it's 0 for Asian. I suspect they may have selected otras raza but even that doesn't fully explain it. Not that it matters Brazil still takes census, I posted that in response to the often posted 10% figure that was taken back in 1963 for Dominican Republic.

Maligna

Banned
At this point I feel pretty bad about posting that original picture of Laura with darker skin tone which has led the conversation down some unfortunate paths. This was not my intention.

Not sure why some people assumed that I was, but I wasn't saying anything about what a Brazilian person should or shouldn't look like with my picture. I just know that Brazil is a diverse country and when the rumor of a Brazilian female character was being thrown around I was hoping for an afro-brazilian character (like Sean), because currently Elena is the only black female street fighter and she falls into the trope of black characters with white hair.

When Laura was revealed I just did a photoshop job on her to see what she would look like with my original hope for the character in mind. I like her better this way aesthetically and kinda wish that was the direction they had gone. That's all, really. I am fully aware there are plenty of light skinned Brazilians.

No offense was meant, no judgement was made on any people. Sorry for unleashing the beast and derailing the thread!

Lulubop

Well... São Paulo have the biggest Japan colony in the world. Many, many Chinese are coming to Brazil as well. In every corner you see a Japanese and you know it hahaha

moti-tsuki-2008.jpg

Comitiva%20e%20casal%20de%20modelos%20no%20bairro%20da%20Liberdade%20%20red.JPG

hanamatsuri-011.jpg

= D

And I'm married with an Japanese hahaha

Sean is from Sao Paulo right? Makes sense

Laura was always a spunky kid growing up in the favelas of Brazil. From an early age she had a love of soccer and basketball and would regularly meet up with Sean to play one on one. As they got older Sean got less interested in sports...and Laura and became more interested in fighting and spending time with his new master Ken. In order to win Sean's affection, Laura decided to take up BJJ; it was there she found her calling in life and began to dedicate every waking hour to improving her skills. Because she was also a dancer (we totes didn't tell you that before!) she gave BJJ her own style and called it LJJ! Now Laura looks to test her strength as a fighter and prove to Sean that she's the one.

Laura was always a spunky kid growing up in the favelas of Brazil. From an early age she had a love of soccer and basketball and would regularly meet up with Sean to play one on one. As they got older Sean got less interested in sports...and Laura and became more interested in fighting and spending time with his new master Ken. In order to win Sean's affection, Laura decided to take up BJJ; it was there she found her calling in life and began to dedicate every waking hour to improving her skills. Because she was also a dancer (we totes didn't tell you that before!) she gave BJJ her own style and called it LJJ! Now Laura looks to test her strength as a fighter and prove to Sean that she's the one.

Nice fanfic

yurinka

I love her big, round b... eyes. Nice eyes, I love them.

I fucking love this fanart, she looks way better than in-game, where at first sight her clothes have a bland, boring look.

no, clearly they ripped of johanna from heroes of the storm
Before Johanna we had the main character of Velocity, Velocity Ultra and Velocity 2X. Some of the best rated PSP / PSVita games.

I'm pretty sure Japan devs don't know Heroes of the storm, I think it's more likely they saw these award winning games on their portables.

Kai_Awake_Avatar_1024_1024.jpg

LoveCake

I wonder what Laura's back-story are, does this rule out Blanka also being from Brazil?

I am looking forward to SF-V, i still play Street Fighter II: Turbo on my SNES i don't think that version has been bettered, i do enjoy Super Street Fighter IV: 3D on my 3DS though, my concern is that i have never really enjoyed Street Fighter games on consoles other than Nintendo ones :/

I hope that E. Honda, Dhalsim & Ingrid are in this.

Top Bottom