• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu News and Reviews (12/11/12) - Super Robot Wars UX (3DS), new MH4 info

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
It feels like we're getting MH4 news every week now lol

it's also called
strikeironhot.jpg

I predict we'll get at least five versions of MH4: two for the 3DS, one HD for the U and a best price one, and when there's no more money to be squeezed from, 3G+4 bundle in 2017

Sophia

In NA? It was so bad they decided to not bring the sequel over and we have never heard of anyone trying to bring over Project X Zone.

Everything I've read has said that Enless Frontier tanked hard.

The marketing and title didn't help at all. There was no reason to have such an absurdly long title when we've barely gotten any of the OG SRW games in the first place.

Takao

Banned
I really expect an unbiased review from Famitsu for Monster Hunter 4 despite their months worth of coverage, and weekly weapon reveals. Famitsu is such an upstanding publication that I doubt they'd sully their name by taking money from seedy companies like Capcom.

squall23

More scans. Miku Fei Yin for Virtual On, voices, Mark Sein, and update on cast list:

Tobikage
Dunbine (thank god it wasn't just Wings of Rean)
Dancougar Nova
Linebarrels of Iron
Gundam SEED Destiny
Macross Frontier movies

Bebpo

Banned
Would be reallyyyyyyyy weird if a standalone SRW included 00 movie only. It's gotta have OO S1->movie like how W had Gaogaigar TV -> Final.

Beth Cyra

More scans. Miku Fei Yin for Virtual On, voices, Mark Sein, and update on cast list:

Tobikage
Dancougar Nova
Linebarrels of Iron
Gundam SEED Destiny
Macross Frontier movies

Whelp, I can easily save my money.

No Getter (of any kind), No Grendizer, No Great Mazinger, no Gundam that is worth a damn.

Maybe next time Banpresto. On a postive note the Scans look really good and possibly on par with Z2 so a huge step up over W/L/K. I guess they dropped SEED for Neo so I should be be satisifed but damn, it's so old playing this same shit.

NeonZ

Would be reallyyyyyyyy weird if a standalone SRW included 00 movie only. It's gotta have OO S1->movie like how W had Gaogaigar TV -> Final.

Doesn't look like there's going to be a timeskip involved. Maybe Banpresto will make the 00 movie into the new Endless Waltz, which was often used in standalone games.

Beth Cyra

Doesn't look like there's going to be a timeskip involved. Maybe Banpresto will make the 00 movie into the new Endless Waltz, which was often used in standalone games.

Wouldn't be shocked. As it is maybe people already believe that Wing will slowly be phased out for OO in main games and I could see them doing that with OO the movie.

MechaX

Tobikage
Dancougar Nova
Linebarrels of Iron
Gundam SEED Destiny
Macross Frontier movies

Yeesh, four of those have already been done in SRW L, and this is what, Destiny's 5th consecutive showing for licensed SRW? Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting hyped about this line-up. Not enough solid entries like in the main licensed games, and not enough quirky, but still interesting entries like the DS titles.

Bebpo

Banned
Still, 00 movie standalone just makes...no sense plotline. Like "hey here are these cool mecha bros and aliens attack and they regroup and fight them"...ok maybe that will work in a very lololol way.

Yeesh, four of those have already been done in SRW L, and this is what, Destiny's 5th consecutive showing for licensed SRW? Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting hyped about this line-up. Not enough solid entries like in the main licensed games, and not enough quirky, but still interesting entries like the DS titles.

They're probably just re-using the old sprites but at least now they'll have voices! It does seem really boring to have SEED Destiny plot in it AGAIN, but maybe they're trying to plug DESTINY HD tv show. Hopefully this will be the last use of Destiny in a SRW for a long time.

Beth Cyra

Still, 00 movie standalone just makes...no sense plotline. Like "hey here are these cool mecha bros and aliens attack and they regroup and fight them"...ok maybe that will work in a very lololol way.

They're probably just re-using the old sprites but at least now they'll have voices! It does seem really boring to have SEED Destiny plot in it AGAIN, but maybe they're trying to plug DESTINY HD tv show. Hopefully this will be the last use of Destiny in a SRW for a long time.

I've only seen pieces of the OO movie but having an alien race show up and their reaction doesn't seem any more out of line then just having 4 guys trying to randomly destroy 4 Gundams when a war is going on around them, one of which has the abliity to read the future.

I however haven't seen all of the movie so I'm sure I'm missing the pieces that really make it odd.

Bebpo

Banned
Also if they're re-using DS sprites, I'm guessing the new sprites will still be around that quality as opposed to PS2/PSP sprite quality.

Oh, and please for the love of God be the manga version of Kurogane no Linebarrel. It's so much better than the crappy anime version that you can barely call them the same series.

squall23

Maybe Destiny doesn't have plot in this game. They could just be there for the sake of it like the various times Mazinger Z and Getter were in the games without plot. Or how Z and ZZ did diddly squat in MX.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh, and please for the love of God be the manga version of Kurogane no Linebarrel. It's so much better than the crappy anime version that you can barely call them the same series.

I think they'd mark it if it was the manga version (like how they make Shin Getter that way). Probably just the same version they did in L.

Maybe Destiny doesn't have plot in this game. They could just be there for the sake of it like the various times Mazinger Z and Getter were in the games without plot. Or how Z and ZZ did diddly squat in MX.

Would be nice.

Bebpo

Banned
Heroman? 00 movie? SD Gundam?

Super Robot Wars: Nobody Gives a Shit Edition

Welcome to the last 2 DS SRWs....

Low-budget handheld SRW is a dumping ground for C-tier mecha anime. They save the A/B tier stuff for the mainline titles every 3 years since new A/B tier anime is still so few and far between.

They can still be pretty fun though with their collection of oddball titles. And now they'll be voiced!

Naite

I'd hope so but I really doubt it. 3 series with Hisashi Hirai's character design in one game. Ugh.

Probrably the least excited I've ever been for a SRW lineup. I guess not being able to play it because of the whole region locking kind of makes me feel better.

Shouta

Low-budget handheld SRW is a dumping ground for C-tier mecha anime. They save the A/B tier stuff for the mainline titles every 3 years since new A/B tier anime is still so few and far between.

They can still be pretty fun though with their collection of oddball titles. And now they'll be voiced!

Hey, don't be dissing Mazinkaiser and Godannar! >=(

squall23

Are you dissing Gaiking LoDM?!

Bebpo

Banned
Probrably the least excited I've ever been for a SRW lineup. I guess not being able to play it because of the whole region locking kind of makes me feel better.

00 Movie
Mazinkaiser SKL
Dunbine + Rean
Fafner with voice!
SD Gundam (I dunno, could be fun!)
Heroman (now I don't have to watch the crappy series!)

Make it at least more interesting than L to me. And since I still haven't played L past the first few maps, Linebarrels will be new for me as well.

Honestly, I think having a fast paced modern playing SRW with full voice will make it really fun and exciting even if the sprites are a low-res/low-animation and the series are oddball choices. Plus I like that these games tend to be pretty short (30-40 maps with splits to make around 60 total). It's nice playing SRW games that just blow through material at high speed and don't take a hundred hours of your time to finish.

CorvoSol

I don't know if I care about the new Super Robot game because it doesn't seem like I know any of those franchises aside from Mazinkaiser, and Mazinkaiser is in games with franchises I do care about, so yeah.

I would give my right arm for a SRW game with an adaptation of the events of FMP! Sigma in it.

Didn't SRW L have ReBUild of Evangelion, though?

hteng

Banned
holy shit, another new SRW ?! DEMONBANE?!??!?!

edit:

Cast list:
Kishin Houkou Demonbane
Fafner in the Azure: Heaven and Earth
The Wings of Reanne
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On series (Fei-Yen HD)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer
SD Gundam Sangokushi: Brave Battle Warriors
Mazinkaiser SKL
Heroman
Macross F: Sayonara no Tsubasa
Aura Battler Dunbine
Ninja Senshi Tobikage
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny
Linebarrels of Iron
Juso Kiko Dancouga Nova
Fafner in the Azure

MechaX

Ah, I forgot about possible voice work in UX. I'm not super familiar with licensed SRW (dabbled a bit in R and D, and I'm playing through W and Z now), but by the way True Prime is making it sound, they could just do what Another Century's Episode does with some of its series sometimes (especially Freedom and Justice in ACE3, where there was no real SEED story other than "Hey, Kira's here now!").

Hey hey hey, K at least has Zoids (albeit, the one series next to Fuzors that no one really cares about), Stargazer (which... wasn't all that great), and Virtual On Marz (lol Virtual On story, lol only the main three it seems and some enemies). I'll admit, nothing really interests me in L besides Iczer, and even then, I'm only vaguely familiar with Iczelion instead.

Sandfox

holy shit, another new SRW ?! DEMONBANE?!??!?!

edit:

Cast list:
Kishin Houkou Demonbane
Fafner in the Azure: Heaven and Earth
The Wings of Reanne
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On series (Fei-Yen HD)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer
SD Gundam Sangokushi: Brave Battle Warriors
Mazinkaiser SKL
Heroman
Macross F: Sayonara no Tsubasa
Aura Battler Dunbine
Ninja Senshi Tobikage
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny
Linebarrels of Iron
Juso Kiko Dancouga Nova
Fafner in the Azure

That's actually a pretty decent list. They at least put 00 and Seed Destiny in lol

Beth Cyra

Ah, I forgot about possible voice work in UX. I'm not super familiar with licensed SRW (dabbled a bit in R and D, and I'm playing through W and Z now), but by the way True Prime is making it sound, they could just do what Another Century's Episode does with some of its series sometimes (especially Freedom and Justice in ACE3, where there was no real SEED story other than "Hey, Kira's here now!").

Hey hey hey, K at least has Zoids (albeit, the one series next to Fuzors that no one really cares about), Stargazer (which... wasn't all that great), and Virtual On Marz (lol Virtual On story, lol only the main three it seems and some enemies). I'll admit, nothing really interests me in L besides Iczer, and even then, I'm only vaguely familiar with Iczelion instead.
The situation with Neo and only having limited suits from said series is rare (hell as far as I know Neo is the only time of it happening) so I wouldn't expect an ACE 3 like thing with it only having Wing Zero, or Strike Freedom in UX's case as the only rep for Destiny.

Actually they do kinda do this for Char's Counter attack and Nu in Z, so it's not impossible just highly unlikely given how they shove SEED Desinty into SRW at every chance for the most part.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Charge Axe looks pretty much like a Slash Axe in merged mode.

And a sword and shield in split mode. Although the sword is longer than normal.

I really hope it feels more unique than this implies, otherwise see my previous comment.

Why not at least make it blunt. Morningstar/hammer/etc depending on model & shield? But how would that merge...

The new areas really look great though. Like that giant skeleton remains area on the last page. Walking in the rib cage.

Top Bottom