• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu News/Reviews (3/5/13): Sayonara Umihara Kawase (3DS), Conception II (3DS/PSV)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
googles Conception

The player's goal to charm pure, innocent girls from Granvania National Star God Academy, raise their affection for Itsuki, then produce and take the "Star Children" to explore dungeons and battle "impurities"

tumblr_mj195mMebr1qejqwno1_500.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's not as bad as you think.

Spike developed it, and the mechanics are surprisingly good. It reminds me of P3P at times. The other stuff, though? Yeah, I could totally leave that shit behind.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Now* would be a perfect opportunity for XSEED, RSG, etc to bring the Umihara Kawase DS compilation over--y'know, as a primer for the 3DS game that they are also gonna bring over.

*"now" = "three years ago", but beggars can't be choosers

FluxWaveZ

It's not as bad as you think.

Spike developed it, and the mechanics are surprisingly good. It reminds me of P3P at times. The other stuff, though? Yeah, I could totally leave that shit behind.

That's what compels me. It seems like a dating sim + RPG where the relationship the player builds with other characters directly influences the abilities that are available in combat. The game also seems to have a dominant focus on astrology. Dating sim affecting abilities in combat + astrological themes is so close to modern Persona's Social Link system + tarot themes that I couldn't not be interested.

kpjolee

Lol, Umihara Kawase. Still swinging around fishing rod at age 20 lol.
Original game was hard...really hard.

Ramune

New Umihara is what jumped at me at first sight. I can't get too excited though. Region-locking. ¬_¬

You know...maybe...Monkey Paw....could somehow bring the PSN version over as a PSOne Import.....eh?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you don't mind inferior Playstation versions you can get that one from the Japanese store right now.

No clue on the even shittier PSP version but it might be there too.

DS version is godly though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Isn't Conception that game where you impregnate High School girls?
I wouldn't be so blunt... it's more like in vitro fertilization, where you combine your power with the selected Star Maiden's power in order to build characters with different skills/classes in combat. When the kid's born, you need to choose a job for them (and certain characters have a preference for some stats over others, and this affects what jobs are available to you at the start). Minimum stats are needed for different job classes.

Outside of the utterly seedy premise and stupid story, the mechanics of that intrigue me (I'm still in the middle of playing the game; I'd posted some "as I start the game" impressions in the latest Whatcha Been Playin' thread).

That's what compels me. It seems like a dating sim + RPG where the relationship the player builds with other characters directly influences the abilities that are available in combat. The game also seems to have a dominant focus on astrology. Dating sim affecting abilities in combat + astrological themes is so close to modern Persona's Social Link system + tarot themes that I couldn't not be interested.
That's honestly exactly why the game is very reminiscent of Persona 3/4 for me at the moment. I think it's kinda solid. Having a deeper bond with other people will result in stronger party member offspring/ones with better abilities. Voice acting's good. Music's pretty decent (I honestly bought the game for the music in the first place; it's by this guy).

Dungeons are also randomized as you go in. Positional damage matters. You need to forge deeper bonds with different people in order to get higher level caps and give them other jobs. Problem is that there isn't much of a diversity in terms of skills and jobs, and that's where I feel that the gameplay portion of the game is lacking.

Eric C

New titles:
Sayonara Umihara Kawase
- 3DS
- Summer release
- 4980 yen
- Stars Umihara Kawase, now at 20 years of age.
- Original staff have returned and have their hands on all aspects of development.

Umihara Kawase Sequel?

I imported the DS cartridge.

This will never be released in the US will it? *sigh* I hate Region Locks.

Almost no translation needed, could be digital only.
I hope someone does bring it over at least as a digital only game.

Umihawa is huge in Japan, also heard it's a great game. (On the JPSN too.)

http://hardcoregaming101.net/umihara/umihara.htm

The DS cartridge has ports of both the Super Famicom (SNES) and PS1 games on it and it's not buggy like the PSP port. If you don't have a DS get the PS1 classic instead of the PSP game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
There seems to be a good news about Umihara: it's published by Agatsuma Entertainment.

wrowa

I've never heard of Umihara before, but the Game Center CX episode linked in this thread made the game look quite interesting.

I also feel a really strange urge to try out Conception. I guess that makes me part of the problem...

meppi

Well the Umihara Kawase games are some of my favourite games ever, so this one is a no-brainer for me.
So guess you can add me to the list of someone who's going to be picking up an LL as well when this hits. Not even angry about it. Hell, it'll be worth it for this game alone. :)
So glad the original staff is working on the sequel so we don't get into the problems of the shitty PSP version.

As others have mentioned the DS game is brilliant as well.
Too bad it only was a compilation of previous titles, but still.
If all goes well, this might be my GOTY. :D

Yeah, I threw a comment on Atlus' Facebook page asking them to see about bringing Umihara Kawase 3DS over. Maybe it will get them thinking if the comment gets enough likes or something.

Top Bottom