• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu News: Gundam Seed Battle Destiny x Vita, Persona 4 News, Persona 5 Teasing

7Th

Well, too bad for you everyone else is eating it up, including the anime. It's selling so well, it's easily marketable in various forms, and the formula is easy to replicate game after game. Why would they do anything else? The main team calling all the shots at Atlus these days loves Persona anyway. I don't think they're particularly interested making a SMT4. Maybe Kaneko wants to, but the stuff he's interested in gets budgets like Raidou and SJ. It's probably going to stay that way.

Are randomly generated dungeons really part of what people love about modern Persona? Because I'd be fine with P5 if it instead of boring and bland randomly generated dungeons it had complex mazes filled with traps and puzzles similar to Nocturne or SJ.

duckroll

Are randomly generated dungeons really part of what people love about modern Persona? Because I'd be fine with P5 if it had complex dungeons filled with traps and puzzles similar to Nocturne or SJ.

No but the people making Persona are lazy, and they're in charge. So you just gotta deal.

Natiko

Banned
Everything they've been announcing for the Persona 4 update seems fairly insignificant to me. Am I the only one? Sure a new character and some new events are nice but with P3P having a new main character that significantly changed some S-links, this seems really bare bones in comparison. Hopefully there's something bigger that they've just been holding back.

Go_Ly_Dow

Would personally love a college or work/office setting for P5, sadly the chances of this happening is pretty unlikely.

Midou

Catherine uses Gamebyro, the same engine Elder Scrolls and Fallout uses! Atlus says they've developed their own HD engine for Persona 5.

Forgot about that. I guess I should rephrase as "if they made it look as good as Catherine". I mean Persona 1-4 kind of had lower-end graphics compared to other RPGs of their respective gens, so maybe expecting the same graphics in a hopefully 60-80 hour game to be the same as a 10 hour game might be a bit much. I don't really care as much though, I just want it.

matmanx1

P5 would be an instant win. And Gundam on Vita is stellar news if it's good. I'm comparing Gundam games to EXVS on the PS3 now so it would have some big shoes to fill.

daoster

Am I the only one disappointed that it's not Snowboard Kids? Sure the DS version sucked but...i spent many a hours playing the first two.

TreIII

Would personally love a college or work/office setting for P5, sadly the chances of this happening is pretty unlikely.

Maybe, maybe not. If nothing else, I'm hoping Catherine's success will showcase to Atlus that it's okay to leave the school kids behind for a change (except for maybe the interns around the office) and give us more "adult" dramas.

I mean, as long as we're going to dealing with schoolkids or salarymen when it comes to the Persona series, I'd at least appreciate a second try at what Persona 2: EP tried.

Snakeyes

Well, too bad for you everyone else is eating it up, including the anime. It's selling so well, it's easily marketable in various forms, and the formula is easy to replicate game after game. Why would they do anything else? The main team calling all the shots at Atlus these days loves Persona anyway. I don't think they're particularly interested making a SMT4. Maybe Kaneko wants to, but the stuff he's interested in gets budgets like Raidou and SJ. It's probably going to stay that way.

The irony is that anything Megaten that is not modern Persona has much more sales potential outside Japan with proper marketing. Just look at the Souls series; with just two games released in a 2 year span, it has already sold more than half (close to 3 M) of what the entire MT franchise sold during its lifetime (roughly 5 M), and that's mainly because of its strong Western appeal.

If Fatlus made mainline SMT a bit grittier, created controversy through Fox News because of the religious themes all while marketing it to the Souls crowd they'd have a huge hit on their hands.

Takao

Banned
Well after how Musou and Ridge Racer have gone, this should be doubly worrying for Gundam Vita. ;)

Muso is heavily milked on all platforms, and that likely hurt NEXT a lot. If it's good it'll have legs. Ridge Racer on Vita is a demo and deserves to bomb.

Xater

Ugh at this pace and localization taking it's time I fear we will not get P5 until next-gen is already out.

Xater

P2:EP, P3, and P4 all came out during the subsequent gen. Par for the course, I suppose.

Yeah, but I still don#t like it. I usually like to just move on to the new platforms. And to be honest I don't really know why it took them so long.

Persona 5 tease is good, hopefully, they can actually throw in tons of anime cutscenes and make the social links even deeper.

I wonder if it will go for a truly grim ending or another happy one, regardless, they should make its new game + pretty deep with some actual changes in the story, if possible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I love the formula, waifus everywhere.

Actually, they'd use the engine from Catherine for this most likely, right?

Yeah, sign me up for Persona 5 waifus.

Zenith said:
the glaringly obvious reason behind the atrocious overhyping is that people want to relive their time at school, except this time around you're a superhero who gets to date Japanese chicks and knowing the answers to questions in class actually makes you more attractive to the opposite sex.

:bow Zenith :bow2

I'm joking.

wrowa

The irony is that anything Megaten that is not modern Persona has much more sales potential outside Japan with proper marketing. Just look at the Souls series; with just two games released in a 2 year span, it has already sold more than half (close to 3 M) of what the entire MT franchise sold during its lifetime (roughly 5 M), and that's mainly because of its strong Western appeal.

If Fatlus made mainline SMT a bit grittier, created controversy through Fox News because of the religious themes all while marketing it to the Souls crowd they'd have a huge hit on their hands.

I don't think that's true at all. Persona 3 and 4 are two of the most succesful games Atlus ever published in the US and outsold every single other SMT game. The Persona series is much more popular than its mother-series.

The mainline SMT series is niche and will remain niche. In contrast to Dark Souls it doesn't have a unique kind of gameplay with an universal appeal going for it. It's actually part of of sub-genre that's not really popular anywhere. In order to make it as successful as Persona or even Dark Souls Atlus would need to change the way the game plays drastically.

7threst

This is just wild guessing. Also, The souls games and SMT aren't very comparable.

Snakeyes

I don't think that's true at all. Persona 3 and 4 are two of the most succesful games Atlus ever published in the US and outsold every single other SMT game. The Persona series is much more popular than its mother-series.

The mainline SMT series is niche and will remain niche. In contrast to Dark Souls it doesn't have a unique kind of gameplay with an universal appeal going for it. It's actually part of of sub-genre that's not really popular anywhere. In order to make it as successful as Persona or even Dark Souls Atlus would need to change the way the game plays drastically.

Mainline SMT is Pokemon's badass grandpa. You're telling me that Pokemon is a series with niche appeal?

Shin FUCKING Megami FUCKING Tensei FUCKING 4! It has been too long!

Besides, they wouldn't announce 5 when Golden hasn't hit; that's not how their PR rolls.

Some people are still in denial.

Like the game's makers.

My problem with modern Persona isn't really the tone or the schoolgirls, I just don't really like the lazy randomly generated dungeons and the way the newer games are structured since most of the everyday stuff I find tedious and unappealing.

Has Persona series been known for great dungeons, for what that's worth? And I liked 3 & 4's better than 2:ISs (not being attacked every 3 feet helped).

If Atlus made mainline SMT a bit grittier, created controversy through Fox News because of the religious themes all while marketing it to the Souls crowd they'd have a huge hit on their hands.

Atlus seems invisible concerning controversy. And about the bolded, Dude. Man. Dude.

Aeana

New Trauma Center for WiiU!

Man.
Man, don't say such things. That jerk from 4chan or whatever who was supposed to have INSIDE INFO said it would be revealed at E3 along with the WiiU and it it wasn't. I can't take any further disappointments, it's best to just consider the series dead I think after Trauma Team's failure. :(

Danielsan

What do you mean? I'm not talking about dudebro SMT here.
How is mainline SMT not gritty? Have you even played Nocture? Some seriously fucked up things happen in that game.

Man, I really want to play some Nocturne right now. Also the notion that some people think Strange Journey was good enough to be called a mainline SMT game disgusts me. It was good, but it doesn't even touch Nocturne's shadow.

How is mainline SMT not gritty? Have you even played Nocture? Some seriously fucked up things happen in that game.

Man, I really want to play some Nocturne right now. Also the notion that some people think Strange Journey was good enough to be called a mainline SMT game disgusts me. It was good, but it doesn't even touch Nocturne's shadow.

If they do do a game deemed "SMT4" it must have Press Turn. That what was truly lacking in SJ.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so can we expect another 25 minutes+ announcement trailer for P5, just to not break tradition?

Top Bottom