• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu polls Japan for their top 10 most memorable games per console

Bebpo

Banned
Shadow Hearts 2 making the PS2 list is really nice. It was a fairly niche series/game, but yeah it's easily one of the best A+ rpgs of the post-2000s. And it was weird and different in everything from the characters to the battle system.
It's also sad seeing how many series up in these top 10 lists have died when obviously they're still popular to the Japanese gamers and there would be a demand for a new title.

The only game I was surprised was missing on PS2 was ZoE2 but then I remember that ZoE2 sold like shit and is super niche. Plus the PS3 version was fucked up on release and got horrible reviews trade-ins everywhere.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
No Super Metroid = pull your head out of your ass Famitsu readers

I'm so upset I could eat a horse meat sandwich with extra mayo and hot sauce.

Baten Kaitos!!!

God bless good taste. Take note, Nintendo/Monolith. I honestly didn't know this game actually had this much of a following still in Japan.

Madao

hmmm

no Pokemon Gen 5 and the only Gen 6 presence is the Gen 3 remakes.

no wonder they want to jump to a new gen asap. seems they're not fond of the latest gens over there.

also, the Wii U will be remembered as the Splatoon machine in japan.

_Ryo_

Thisis gonna sound weird coming from me, considering my username and tag and all but Shenmue being #2 for Dreamcast really surprised me. From a lot of anecdotal observations, I was under the assumption that Shenmue wasn't really popular in Japan at all.

I mean, the thing about Shenmue is that it feels like you are actually in Japan, in Dobuita, surrounded my your small community and friends and you actually are living that life,it is basically a Japanese life sim, that and the story of journey, exploration and revenge with hints of latent mysticism are what appealed to western players, I'd think. But if you are Japanese and already live in Japan you already experience that culture so I think the game loses a lot of its appeal to those wbo dislike life simulators. So it is surprisingly that it is the #2 most liked game in Japan to me.

randomkid

Did they sample a single highschool? WTF is with those vote counts? I feel like you could poll the lurkers of a Wario64 thread and get higher numbers.

japan doesn't really have a lot of gamers left, media create threads will tell you the story

famitsu also has a famously peculiar readership. shocked that last remnant didn't make the ps3 list.

Aters

japan doesn't really have a lot of gamers left, media create threads will tell you the story

famitsu also has a famously peculiar readership. shocked that last remnant didn't make the ps3 list.

Yep, Famitsu readers pull out the most epic port begging I've ever seen.

Ein Bear

A port of Resident Evil Revelations being one of the most memorable PS3 games is the most surprising one for me.

Bruno MB

The thing I noticed is that Famitsu polls always have a ridiculously low amount of votes for a magazine with a circulation of 300,000 units per issue.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People are surprised that a game like The iDOLM@STER that has an anime series and movie, a mobile spin-off with it's own anime and two additional spinoffs in the mobile space, multiple concerts, shedloads of merch and crossover promotions in other Namco titles is the most memorable XBox 360 game for Japan? This is the system that sold like 10 units total in Japan remember.

But no Link to the Past (or Triforce of the Gods to call it by the Japanese name). Colour me shocked. They sure love their Final Fantasy.

Thud

No symphony of the night, mother 2 and a link between worlds is just wrong.

They do love their kirby, sakura taisen, final fantasy and dragon quest.

PSX: Doko Demo Issyo and a Harvest Moon game. This got my attention.

And the Sega Systems, basically every Sakura Taisen game is in there. i wonder if this had anything to do with the type of anime in the mid 90's?

Kid Ying

Good lists there. Tengai Makyo really deserved being the top of pc engine, although i missed rondo being there.

Street of rage 1 and not 2 on mega drive is a bit crazy though. Sor 1 was quite a subpar game.

I would also put ct a bit higher on the snes list. It doesnt need to be the first, but it's a bit low to my tastes.

Last, revelations on ps3 is LOL. I would understand on 3ds, where it was ground breaking, or even wiiu, where there is not much like this to play, but the ps3? This one was rhe most strange at all.

KingBroly

Banned
No Super Metroid = pull your head out of your ass Famitsu readers

I'm so upset I could eat a horse meat sandwich with extra mayo and hot sauce.

Metroid's been dead in Japan since the original. Hence why Nintendo keeps trying to make it cater more towards Japan.

Niiiice FFV placed highest of all the super fam FFs. Also, Soul Hackers made Sega Saturn's list. Some other nice titles made some of the the lists too. Nice to see that.

That's kind of funny, I hopped on some Titanfall for the first time in months and there were a handful of really high ping Japanese players in my US West lobbies. Good on them for picking the best game on the system.

I wish FFV came out on SNES here. I still haven't gotten around to playing it. What's the definitive English version anyway? A hacked SNES ROM? An official release somewhere?

cj_iwakura

That's kind of funny, I hopped on some Titanfall for the first time in months and there were a handful of really high ping Japanese players in my US West lobbies. Good on them for picking the best game on the system.

I wish FFV came out on SNES here. I still haven't gotten around to playing it. What's the definitive English version anyway? A hacked SNES ROM? An official release somewhere?

The GBA version.

Top Bottom