• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: PS5 sold 118K units and XSX/S sold 21K units

H-I-M

I know they're both sold out, but now I'm scared for Playstation's future in Japan.
Wouldn't be surprised if they announce in the future a PS5P(portable)

Stuart360

Be interesting to see what certain people say now, after saying neither Xbox or Sony has had any coivd related problems with manufacturing, in that 155k Xbox sales in UK thread.
Also just think about that for a second, Microsoft provided more consoles for the UK, than Sony provided for its home market. Yes covid has had an effect, its undeniable.

Flintty

PS5 selling 6 times XSS/XSX combo? Nice.

Its expected but after fake selling out reports for Xbox I thought it would do better

Your take away from this is ‘yay PS5 outsold XSX/S’?

Lol keep fighting the fight.

These numbers further cement the current state of console gaming in Japan, tbh.

I expected the XSS would be more popular than the X in Japan, but it’s a losing battle really - nobody expected a crazy turn around here.

ranmafan

For all the people saying Xbox couldent sell more because it sold out.

You can literally go to https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08GGKZ34Z/ right now and just buy the console.

So I suspect it can sell more.

well you can buy it from third party sellers yes but not from amazon japan themselves right now. Just checked.

but I expect it will be easy to buy soon for the few that want it here

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
200.gif

Came for this did not leave disappointed.

Bodomism

Banned
Be interesting to see what certain people say now, after saying neither Xbox or Sony has had any coivd related problems with manufacturing, in that 155k Xbox sales in UK thread.
Also just think about that for a second, Microsoft provided more consoles for the UK, than Sony provided for its home market. Yes covid has had an effect, its undeniable.
This is true.
The massage is clear, Sony shipped less console in their home country than what Microsoft had shipped in UK.

Japan is getting the same treatment by Sony yet again with small allotment.

silent head

PS2: 631K
PSP: 166K
PS3: 88K
PSV: 325K
PS4: 322K
PS5: 118K

XB: 124K
XB360: 62K
XBO: 24K
XBSS / XBSX : 21K
PS2: 631K - Released in Japan 7+ months before US/ 8+ months Europe
PSP: 166K - Released in Japan 3+ months before NA / 9 months before Europe
PS3: 88K - Released in Japan 1 week before NA / 4 months before Europe
PSV: 325K - Realeased in Japan 2 months before NA/Europe
PS4: 322K - Realeased 3 months after NA/Europe
PS5: 118K - Released on same date as NA / Europe Week later

SilentUser

Lot of bad takes in these comments. As someone living in Japan let me explain the situation. It is almost impossible to buy PS5's. Everyone wants one however numbers are very limited. In order to buy one you must enter a lottery. Latest numbers showed 1000 entries for every 1 unit available. Switch has also been sold out for last 2 months at least.
That's good to know, I was concerned about the console not being desired at all.

ranmafan

Resellers got their consoles before the actual customers.

This completely! Take a look at yahoo auctions and mericari and you will see so many systems being sold by resellers, and at insane prices. And people are paying for them too. Lots of frustrated people on Japanese twitter too at the resellers and the bots. Not to mention the lottery systems which are hard to win. Even today when I lucked out getting one from Amazon Japan it was a struggle fighting the resellers and bots to get my order in.

For all the people saying Xbox couldent sell more because it sold out.

You can literally go to https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08GGKZ34Z/ right now and just buy the console.

So I suspect it can sell more.

Yeah people (usually from US) just dont understand how rest of the world buys xbox, or rather not to buy

Here at Finland it took less than 1-5 mins to sell out PS5, xsex took about 2 weeks, and series S is still available at least in 29 cities(one retailer chain) with is majority of our "big" towns/cities. Today it looks like they finally sold out online, but those retailers still have them.

Big difference sell out in minutes vs weeks.

I think that we are almost as Playstation land as japan, but switch is maybe 10% of japans popularity

Last edited:

DustQueen

Banned

Opening weekend to my question.

Now to see if there was any xbox numbers

24k for the xbox one so basically flat. Wonder what's the cause of the drop in sales for both
Grave for the Xbox sales clearly was dug August 6 1945.

PS5 is just simply too big, when there comes a time to make choice between puting ur grandma out on the street to have a space to put ur PS5...many are choosing grandma
how Can I do it?
Although some clearly can
BWsRaGg.jpg

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Did both consoles sell out in Japan?

That's the most important indicator at this stage.
Apparently, both did.

Reactions: GHG

Ogbert

Yeah people (usually from US) just dont understand how rest of the world buys xbox, or rather not to buy

Here at Finland it took less than 1-5 mins to sell out PS5, xsex took about 2 weeks, and series S is still available at least in 29 cities(one retailer chain) with is majority of our "big" towns/cities. Today it looks like they finally sold out online, but those retailers still have them.

Big difference sell out in minutes vs weeks.

I think that we are almost as Playstation land as japan, but switch is maybe 10% of japans popularity

Huh?

Japan is utterly dominated by Nintendo. Sony are small fry.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well that’s about the total sales for Xbox one in Japan so I’d call that a win!
Lol

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 launched months after than US or EU when Sony hadn’t problems with production and sold more. You can’t sell more consoles than you have produced lol
In Feb 2014? PS4 had supply issues until March/April in US... May/June in Europe.

C’mon you guys are trying to excuse a weak launch.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
OP, you should probably add that both consoles sold out of their allocated stock.

Without that important bit of information this 'news' can be interpreted very differently.
It doesn’t matter... the launch numbers are bad in Japan.

vkbest

In Feb 2014? PS4 had supply issues until March/April in US... May/June in Europe.

C’mon you guys are trying to excuse a weak launch.

What excuses? The one data you have is all consoles was sold, Sony is making a worldwide release on 2 weeks on a pandemic time. You cant compare a data of PS2 or PSP, when those consoles were released first on Japan. You can apply this to XSX on the territories where the consoles were sold out.

In Japan the preorders were on a lottery system. Many people have been incapable to preorder a PS5 in Japan.

oldergamer

Xbox xsx is not manufactured in Japan. So its an import which would be more limited in supply then ps5 that sonyy builds there. Still the console market is dead in Japan.

Ms offering gamepass via remote play is probably going to be a bigger factor then actual console sales. You can stream those games on millions of devices

ethomaz

Banned
What excuses? The one data you have is all consoles was sold, Sony is making a worldwide release on 2 weeks on a pandemic time. You cant compare a data of PS2 or PSP, when those consoles were released first on Japan. You can apply this to XSX on the territories where the consoles were sold out.

In Japan the preorders were on a lottery system. Many people have been incapable to preorder a PS5 in Japan.
It just more excuse imo.

The console launch numbers are very weak.

You can add Japan not buy more consoles excuse too but that is more excuses for a bad launch.

Last edited:

Kikorin

These are terrible numbers for both, but I guess expected for MS at least. More surprised on how bad launch games sold, what are people playing? Astrobot and Bugsnax?

vkbest

It just more excuse imo.

The console launch numbers are bad.

The consoles launch numbers is that you have when you want to release a worldwide launch. Its not a secret, the most consoles were produced to the US market. Stock in Europe is too much reduced too.

Last edited:

Woopah

There is definitely supply issues for sure. Will be interesting to see what the weekly numbers are in February.

What PlayStation really needs is a big hit for a new franchise (Ghosts of Tsushima is a step in the right direction).

Drewpee

Banned

Best selling PS5 games are Spidey MM and DS remake at 18K units sold.

Previous consoles launch numbers comparison

Wii U: 308,600
Wii: 371,900
PS4: 322,100
Switch: 330,637

The only thing sales numbers this early might indicate is that production of units was way down compared to previous launches.

I doubt there is anywhere in the world that has PS5s sitting on a store shelf so the number sold right now doesn't matter, demand is much more important and that will never be an issue.

Porcile

The launch was so low key. In some electronic goods stores you wouldn't of even known there were two new consoles just released. Absolutely nothing there, no games, not even any display or advertising. Pretty crazy actually. I'm sure the Mario Game and Watch sold more.

Mahavastu

At the same time it gives the same message to Japanese gamers as the previous Gen where Japan received 330K launch week shipment for 3-4 months later than Global launch, and now 118K launch week shipment and probably around the same number when adding all of those sales from PS5 launch to PS4 timeframe.

Looks like what was reported last week by bloomberg about Sony sidelines Japanese market is indeed true based on this pitiful shipment numbers.
They show their commitment to the japanese market by releasing the box here at the same day as in the US (as opposite to Europe for example).
They could again wait for 3-4 months and get larger numbers for launch until then. Not having more devices is exactly because they launch that early.

MayauMiao

Well looks like my next console won't be a PS5. Japanese support is very important and this does not bode well for Sony.

Top Bottom