• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: PS5 sold 118K units and XSX/S sold 21K units

Kokoloko85

PS4 sold 322,000+ on its first 2 days.
PS3 sold like 80,000+
I was expecting more. Maybe covid has caused issues

Last edited:
Horrible numbers.

I don't think it has anything to do with Covid because Japan has been trending away from consoles for almost a decade now. Probably pre-sold more consoles in places like Germany.

I remember when people laughed at a report that Sony has stock issues and even Sony said Nothing to see here. And people believed. It is pretty obvious they have issues with the stock.

Also, it seems indeed Xbox did not need launch titles. By the time the exclusive games come to Xbox, the issues with the production will be fixed.

I don't think it has anything to do with Covid because Japan has been trending away from consoles for almost a decade now. Probably pre-sold more consoles in places like Germany.
Also, PS5 is just kinda big for Japanese houses. MS should create XSS with Japanese flag color though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
As a Wii U launch buyer, those Wii U numbers are shameful. 10 consoles would have been too much. Fucking trash heap of a console that was. I will never not be bitter about that fucking trainwreck (I was a shareholder at the time of the launch, fuck me what a bag of shit that was)

*side eyes his Wii U over in the corner*

I liked it, lol

lachesis

Line Research - Japanese Console Ownership

Here's an interesting research by "Line" - a popular messenger service in Japan over 5M high school students on what game systems do they have in their home. The article that I came across was about a month ago. (Oct 2020)

OiMvxZf.jpg

3DS being #1, Wii #2, Switch (not Lite ver) being #3, DS being #4, Wii U at #5. PS4 on #6, followed by Vita as #7 etc...
Other interesting thing about the games they play - as well - at least 80%+ Nintendo games.

Many kids consider Playstation as old-man console in Japan, the ones who's holding onto their youth in early-mid Heisei years. That doesn’t bode well for both Sony and to certain degree, Microsoft which Xbox has almost nil recognition in mainstream market. It's like young kids think of Facebook as old people's SNS, where as Nintendo always held onto their market.

And thus it's understandable that Sony is focusing on the West where it's still growing. Some of the responses regarding PS in Japan was little surprising: The idea that Kids would grow out of Nintendo to more mature PS as they get older... is really proven false in this case, at least in Japanese market.

Seeing the data that PS5 sold 118k, and MS sold 21k, touting how well they are doing in whatever means necessary... TBH, it’s like seeing a network TV rating competition analysis. All of them are tanking YOY, yet they each claim #1 show in the time slot! To me it sounds like "oh, my ship is sinking slower than yours" measurement...

yurinka

PS4 sold 322,000+ on its first 2 days.
PS3 sold like 80,000+
I was expecting more. Maybe covid has caused issues
Horrible numbers.

Both consoles are sold out.

Unlike with the other consoles, they made the launch in way more countries than MS and Sony they ever did, and Sony also had for a week later (tomorrow) their launch for the rest of countries.

Both MS and Sony said they shipped more units worldwide for launch that they ever did, but launching in more countries at the same times means less consoles per country. Japan is a small market for both MS and Sony, so if they had to move more units to their main markets and remove from less important countries, many countries like Japan received less units.

So looking it on a global scale seems they will have their best launch ever. Specially if PS5 outsells PS4 launch it will be the best console launch ever. Japan is simply a small country for them compared to NA and Europe, so don't care too much about it so had few units for launch.

lachesis

Oh, wow. Did not know about that.

I was also pretty shocked while I was reading up some responses in some other related threads too... perhaps it's individual case, but it certainly felt like what "Playstation" means to young people is quite different of what my generation, or at least how I feel about it. Suddenly felt like a very very uncool old man.

Nintendo sells to Kids, Family and to Seniors
Playstation sells to single men / middle aged men.

And unlike their own prediction of kids growing from Nintendo to PS... nope, When they grow out of Nintendo, and any serious gamers would just jump to PC it seems, and pass on Nintendo to their own kids.

As per the PS5 though - I think it will hold what PS4 has done in Japan as status quo.. but their major growth will be on the West. I am afraid it will become as western company as Xbox is now. Xbox... although I like their HW, the chances of making in Japanese market is very slim - and all really depends on how they can market their GamePass and XCloud to the mobile users. In either case, I just hope that we'll get the steady and strong flow of Japanese games on either platforms. I love my Switch, but I also want to see some highend games for proper 4k consoles...

Last edited:

Dr Bass

As a Wii U launch buyer, those Wii U numbers are shameful. 10 consoles would have been too much. Fucking trash heap of a console that was. I will never not be bitter about that fucking trainwreck (I was a shareholder at the time of the launch, fuck me what a bag of shit that was)

I'm a share holder now and will be for a long time.

I liked the Wii U.

I like the Switch.

I sorta just like fun video games regardless of platform. Go Nintendo, Sony, MS.

🤷‍♂️

MrFunSocks

Banned
Japan just getting more and more irrelevant with each passing generation.
Honestly surprised the Xbox did that much. Can’t really take anything from the numbers other than even Sony don’t even value Japan much anymore.

Woopah

Nintendo sells to Kids, Family and to Seniors
Playstation sells to single men / middle aged men.

And unlike their own prediction of kids growing from Nintendo to PS... nope, When they grow out of Nintendo, and any serious gamers would just jump to PC it seems, and pass on Nintendo to their own kids.

I'm not even sure this is true. From the sales it looks like the kids who grew up on DS and 3DS have moved onto Switch. That's one of Nintendo's strengths is their appeal to a very wide age range.

Bodomism

Banned
Japan just getting more and more irrelevant with each passing generation.
Honestly surprised the Xbox did that much. Can’t really take anything from the numbers other than even Sony don’t even value Japan much anymore.
I don't think that's true.

Nintendo Switch is selling around 16 million units over there which is bigger than UK+France+Germany combined and about to finish above 25 million units LTD.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Best selling PS5 games are Spidey MM and DS remake at 18K units sold.

Previous consoles launch numbers comparison

Wii U: 308,600
Wii: 371,900
PS4: 322,100
Switch: 330,637

Japan doesn't like to support non-Japanese products, or at least American ones. MS can do nothing to sell more consoles.

Bodomism

Banned
Just a lack of supply.
Every console in a launch week was supply constrained but the issue here is the allotment size.

Japanese gamers are angry and mad at Sony because it's pretty much pointless to launch with a small shipments despite launching earlier than Europe since most of the consoles were sold to the scalpers/resellers and not the actual PS5 customers.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Horrible numbers.

Almost a decade? You forget about the DS and when that came?

I say the Switch brought forth a solution that has resurrected home console gaming in Japan.

21K units in Japan is nothing to scoff at. Especially considering the really important games have yet to come. Fable I think will do big in Japan.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't think that's true.

Nintendo Switch is selling around 16 million units over there which is bigger than UK+France+Germany combined and about to finish above 25 million units LTD.
I should've been more specific - to the home console market. Handheld they're a huge market.

Top Bottom