• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu review scores (3/1/17) - Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets perfect score (40/40)

Sweet ready to the flood of scores tomorrow
200.gif

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That is such a romanticised piece of artwork that it's actually cheesy.

Don't read too deeply into it. That sword being given has low durability and Link need to scrounge up some wooden sticks to replace it after two fights anyway.

Why no use the OOT link instead ?

That would have been even better, in my opinion - kind of like passing the torch. Ocarina Of Time is widely considered to be the greatest Zelda game ever made and it's Link would be passing the sword/torch to Breath Of The Wild Link as if to say "You're the new reigning champ now".

Timeaisis

So it's inexcusable to shit on MGSV in this thread but XIII-2 is ok? Which do you think is the bigger victim out of the two?

I never said either was inexcusable. Opinions are opinions. I just said FFXIII-2 is the outlier 10/10 there. MGSV got a lot of perfect scores.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have no doubt it'll do well, but as everyone here is saying Famitsu is like the most mainstream non trustworthy review site for legitimate reviews. It's basically ads as reviews, they'll score high games that they are paid to promote as been proven time and time again.

All this basically confirms is Nintendo's check went through.

Good to know it's just a bit better than Umbrella Corps (which got 39/40 from them), yaddayadda.

Peléo

Nintendogs was revolutionary and is a direct link to mobile gaming, BotW is in good company.

The first Nintendogs was incredible. Managed to explore every single unique feature of the DS (Touchscreen, Dual Screens, Microphone, Portability) to create an experience different from any other game up until that point. The first big hit of the console as well. People are quick to despise it and it may be dwarfed today by other similar games, but Nintendogs DS is an absolute gem and one of the most interesting games Nintendo ever created.

Big0Bear

I know the game will be great but I doubt it's perfect. The Dlc alone drops it in my book how can you sell hard mode. And the language options are pointlessly restricted

score01

Pretty amazing to see 4 entries in one gaming series getting perfect scores. Any other series managed that consistency?

McGwigan

Banned
NieR gets 39/40 and then Zelda gets 40/40 but can't even maintain 30fps and is highly derivative. Not sure o can ever trust famotsu again

NieR gets 39/40 and then Zelda gets 40/40 but can't even maintain 30fps and is highly derivative. Not sure o can ever trust famotsu again

Won't be the only place where Zelda outscores NieR, I imagine the gap will be wider too.

Guess you won't have many reviewers to trust soon?

NewGame

Banned

Pfft, Nier is still extremely anime as far as 'derivative' is concerned. Women who fight in their under wear and sidekicks that cry at the drop of a hat.

Mechanically Zelda is pushing the envelope.

All this talk about nintendogs really brings back some fond memories. The games I played the most were super mario 64 DS and nintendogs.

Never again in the last 10+ years have I thought about nintendogs but now checking some videos on youtube, I really did have a good time playing it.

Hope BotW and the switch have a good launch. Nintendo deserves it after the WiiU.

All this talk about nintendogs really brings back some fond memories. The games I played the most were super mario 64 DS and nintendogs.

Never again in the last 10+ years have I thought about nintendogs but now checking some videos on youtube, I really did have a good time playing it.

Hope BotW and the switch have a good launch. Nintendo deserves it after the WiiU.

Nintendogs is the game that made me want to buy a Nintendo DS

gamerMan

Translation?

I can't translate it, but using Google Translate:

While there was a lot to worry about, the game is one of the finest RPGs. Even the music, story, and world are excellent on their own. It's so immersive. I loved acquiring all the different skills. The main story is not very long, but there are plenty of sub quests.

The game combines a sense of realism and degree of freedom that surpasses other Zelda games. It's so fun to explore unexplored places and dungeons that you forget the time. It is the new pinnacle for home console RPGs.

This one talks about an enemy and says it was thrilling and unexpected.

The level of immersion is amazing because you can go on so many adventures. Things change depending on what you do. It's fun to choose what you want to do. It's like the finest garden where everything in the world tickles your curiosity.

No way in hell does Skyward Sword deserve an 80 let alone a perfect score.

Skyward Sword got a ton of positive reviews at the start. Famitsu wasn't the only people to overrate it. I'm not really sure why there was such a critical dissonance with it afterwards. I remember being hyped for it and it just never clicking with me.

Nintendogs wasn't a 40/40 game but suggesting that it was bad is breaking my heart.

Nintendogs was fucking awesome and it really helped non gamers get into the DS.

Yup, it was a really big deal at the time.

That, Brain Age, and Animal Crossing all coming out at the same time was the perfect storm that made the DS blast off among the Touch Generation audience. Throw in crossover hits like Mario Kart DS and man, that was a crazy time.

duckroll

Just as an alternative. Western games media has ton of review sites and even magazines that are comparable to famitsu. I don't exactly know the situation there but didn't someone say famitsu is the only choice in looking for reviews? That should mean there's a lot of market for review sites like rpgfan,dualshockers and such.

It's not true. There are other mags and they all have reviews. Dengeki is the main other outlet. The thing is, Famitsu is just always the fastest because it's weekly instead of bi-weekly or monthly. There used to be more mags too, but it's been dwindling because the videogame book publisher market in Japan is kinda monopolistic, especially after Kadokawa merged acquired their competitors in that space. *cough*

As for websites, no one in Japan is going to care because there are already tons of resources. Everything from Amazon Japan reviews to the Mk2 review sites collecting detailed player reviews and impressions. There is no shortage of actual information for anyone who actually cares to look. English websites carrying Japanese news don't cover stuff that takes time and effort to translate but doesn't have easy to digest or clickbait headline potential though, because it's hard enough to get traffic as it is.

This isn't a problem of an underserved market. This is a "problem" of English speaking fans thinking there is a problem.

killatopak

Pfft, Nier is still extremely anime as far as 'derivative' is concerned. Women who fight in their under wear and sidekicks that cry at the drop of a hat.

Mechanically Zelda is pushing the envelope.

That's the most bullshit thing I've ever read and it's clear you don't even know the most basic of thing with regards to NieR. It'd the very equivalent of thinking Link is named Zelda or that botw is an ubisoft game with all the bad things with it.

It's not true. There are other mags and they all have reviews. Dengeki is the main other outlet. The thing is, Famitsu is just always the fastest because it's weekly instead of bi-weekly or monthly. There used to be more mags too, but it's been dwindling because the videogame book publisher market in Japan is kinda monopolistic, especially after Kadokawa merged acquired their competitors in that space. *cough*

As for websites, no one in Japan is going to care because there are already tons of resources. Everything from Amazon Japan reviews to the Mk2 review sites collecting detailed player reviews and impressions. There is no shortage of actual information for anyone who actually cares to look. English websites carrying Japanese news don't cover stuff that takes time and effort to translate but doesn't have easy to digest or clickbait headline potential though, because it's hard enough to get traffic as it is.

This isn't a problem of an underserved market. This is a "problem" of English speaking fans thinking there is a problem.
Thanks for the information.

Top Bottom