• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu review scores (3/1/17) - Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets perfect score (40/40)

LordKasual

Banned
Famitsus pefect scores are all in the OP.

They're not that lenient, and certain games that had extravagant marketing budgets are noticable by their absence.

New Super Mario Bros

MGSV

Skyward Sword

Final Fantasy XIII-2

That is lenient. There's noting wrong with them having a lower standard for what they consider perfect...but, well, there it is.

LordRaptor

New Super Mario Bros

MGSV

Skyward Sword

Final Fantasy XIII-2

That is lenient. There's noting wrong with them having a lower standard for what they consider perfect...but, well, there it is.

No, those are games you don't agree should have recieved those scores.

I don't agree THPS3 and Chrono Cross should have got Gamespot 10s.
I don't agree Sonic on the NeoGeo Pocket should have got an IGN 10.
I don't agree Little Big Planet or Rock Band 3 should have got Edge 10s.

I don't agree GTA4 should have got 10s anywhere - yet did in most western press.

It doesn't mean all of those publications are lenient with their perfect scores.

Banned
There list of Perfect score games is great with a few exceptions like XIII-2 and Nintendogs lol.

But I'll reserve judgment for the more accurate western reviews.

Lothar

Banned
Your posts are so cringe worthy

What's wrong with the post you quoted? The Zelda games that got perfect scores are far from flawless games. They do seem to typically ignore flaws for Zelda games. The poster you quoted has a point.

Why do people care what the score is? Everyone should play the game and decide for themselves. I can't help but shake my head at this nonsense.

LordKasual

Banned

I don't agree GTA4 should have got 10s anywhere - yet did in most western press.

It doesn't mean all of those publications are lenient with their perfect scores.

And this is why this isn't surprising, nor is it all that significant.

It's unlikely for a game like GTA4/5 to not get perfect scores with certain publications, just like it was unlikely for a game like FFXIII-2 to not be received very well by Famitsu. Two games with open world freedom elements that were judged on two completely different standard mindsets. For most people familiar with Famitsu, i doubt the thought even crossed their minds that Breath of the Wild wasn't going to be a perfect 10 game.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if IGN and Gamespot gave the game perfect 10s as well, without me knowing anything about the game other than the fact it's Zelda. Zelda has always gotten away with being judged on different standards than other games, and this is coming from a lifetime Zelda fan.

Edit:

But no, you're right. I should change my statement to "Famitsu is very lenient with certain types of games", although that's every review site across regions. Famitsu is more accepting of games with JP appeal, some western review sites not so much. But in general, everyone tends to have a soft spot for Zelda and most long-running Nintendo franchises.

Reminds me how Fable 2 won GOTY 2008 from many gaming publications. What the fuck was that all about?!

antibolo

Banned
Do Famitsu scores really matter? Famitsu's past history of "perfect" scores is extremely questionable.

What do Japanese gamers think of Famitsu reviews anyway? Are they well respected, or do they consider them a joke like we do with IGN, Polygon, etc?

LordRaptor

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if IGN and Gamespot gave the game perfect 10s as well, without me knowing anything about the game other than the fact it's Zelda. Zelda has always gotten away with being judged on different standards than other games

That says zero about press bias and everything about your own.

LordKasual

Banned
That says zero about press bias and everything about your own.

If you say so. I could dive into detail and give direct comparisons, but those would be wasted words in a thread like this.

But ultimately all game reviews have some subjective element that influences the final score anyway, so I don't see why it matters.

Servbot24

Banned
New Super Mario Bros

MGSV

Skyward Sword

Final Fantasy XIII-2

MGSV is a competitor for the best game ever made.

SS... I don't care for it but Famitsu's not the only one to give it a perfect score.

NSMB and FFXIII-2 are crazy though

antibolo

Banned
No they don't. It's right there in the OP.

The fact alone that Famitsu gave JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle a perfect score shows how much of a joke their scores are. That game had nice graphics but was otherwise an absolutely mediocre fighting game. Bandai Namco must have paid a lot for that score.

clemenx

Banned
I don't get the beef with the Nintendogs score. It excecuted what it aimed to and it did it perfectly. Scores were validated by how much of a phenomenon it became.

Lothar

Banned
If you add in near perfect scores, Famitsu ratings are probably even funnier. Final Fantasy 13 got a 39/40.

The Famitsu cover is amazing.

6Ex9U9c.jpg

(pic from Nibel's twitter)

I really like that cover as well, cool style.

Dynheart

Banned
We did, but then that one also probably didn't mean anything because they gave SS a 10/10!

Nothing means anything!

This is what I was getting at in my other post, without trying to bring up the Edge review (didn't want to derail the thread). Anything positive that comes out media with this game, it is immediately spun into something negative several times over. The people on this forum are creating their on negativity and perpetuating it by coming up with weird ass logic to justify that negativity. This thread is one (comparing Zelda to Nintendogs....and the Edge review, Skyward Sword received a 10, so BotW's review holds no weight), the impression and preview threads unfold just the same.

What are some of the more reputable, established Japanese gaming outlets? Famitsu certainly seems like the largest news site but I never hear much about the ones that people actually trust.

Paltheos

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NSW / Wii U) – 10 / 10 / 10 / 10
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I-II (NSW) 9/9/9/9
  • For Honor (PS4/XBO) – 8/9/9/9
  • Blaster Master Zero (NSW / 3DS) – 8/8/8/8
  • The Brookhaven Experiment (PS4) – 8/8/8/8
  • Ys Origin (PS4) – 7/7/8/8
  • Super Bomberman R (NSW) – 8/7/8/7
  • Pirate Pop Plus (Wii U / 3DS) – 6/6/6/6

Unless this is a problem with the port... no lol
Ys is fantastic. Origins isn't my favorite but I can see why it's some people's. It's a superb action game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What are some of the more reputable, established Japanese gaming outlets? Famitsu certainly seems like the largest news site but I never hear much about the ones that people actually trust.

there are no 'official' review sites outside of famitsu in Japan, atleast not that i've heard. People go by amazon review scores which are prone to abuse, and you can see how volatile the situation with dedicated gaming is over there.

Timeaisis

New Super Mario Bros

MGSV

Skyward Sword

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Can we stop pretending MGSV is a bad game? It's getting old.

SS I can see not agree it's 10/10 material, but opinions.

FFXIII-2 I can't excuse.

Servbot24

Banned
The fact alone that Famitsu gave JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle a perfect score shows how much of a joke their scores are. That game had nice graphics but was otherwise an absolutely mediocre fighting game. Bandai Namco must have paid a lot for that score.

Ok. That doesn't really address my point that they don't give out 10s to Japanese games willy nilly.

Top Bottom