• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu review scores (3/1/17) - Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets perfect score (40/40)

LordRaptor

But the claims that their reviews are downright bought always seems like bogus. Do you really think Sega spent a ton of cash for the Bayonetta-review and 428 while Square Enix can't afford to do it on most of their mainline FF and other flagship titles?

Or that MS could never afford their prices

Toxi

Banned
Demon's Souls (29/40)
Dark Souls (37/40)
Dark Souls 2 (37/40)
Dark Souls 3 (38/40)

Wow, From Software really stepped up their game after the terrible Demon's Souls! I can't imagine the much raised profile for the series and having Bandai Namco as a publisher had anything to do with it!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It would be nice if it meant something. They gave FFXIII-2 a 40/40 for god's sake. Publishers get the score they pay for.

ramparter

Banned
Demon's Souls (29/40)
Dark Souls (37/40)
Dark Souls 2 (37/40)
Dark Souls 3 (38/40)

Wow, From Software really stepped up their game after the terrible Demon's Souls! I can't imagine the much raised profile for the series and having Bandai Namco as a publisher had anything to do with it!

It reminds me that game review that the author defended saying "that was the score I expected people to give the game"

Why are people discrediting the publication instead of viewing it as another high praise to a game that looks excellent? If you look hard enough every fucking review publication has graded something questionably in the past.

The Big N

Banned
Bomberman R with the 8/7/7/8? I'm guessing its like a 7.5. As long as this game holds up I may pick it up shortly after launch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im sure the game will be amaing, but Famitsu is a joke in the industry these days, thats pretty much a known fact right?

I remember them talking about it on a bombcast some time ago, how its basically a glorified ad these days.

7Th

Between Zelda, Nier and Nioh can we agree that Western devs are finally getting outed as the piece of shit they always were?

Why are people discrediting the publication instead of viewing it as another high praise to a game that looks excellent? If you look hard enough every fucking review publication has graded something questionably in the past.
This is the magazine that gave Peacewalker perfect scores while the game had Famitsu magazines present in-game and the magazine owner was doing official ads for said game, and this is all without disclosing.

Famitsu does it to itself.

DNAbro

Between Zelda, Nier and Nioh can we agree that Western devs are finally getting outed as the piece of shit they always were?

that's not how it works

also Famitsu reviews are useless. They are pretty much the "paid review" boogieman people like to pretend exist.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I have to look up that Brookhaven Experiment game. Just submitted a resume to the Brookhaven National Lab last night, lol.

butman

Demon's Souls (29/40)
Dark Souls (37/40)
Dark Souls 2 (37/40)
Dark Souls 3 (38/40)

giphy.gif

killatopak

IMO so are like 70% of the publications that count for metascore. As every review, they liking it this much doesn't mean the game is inevitably a masterpiece, but it's another good indication that maybe it is.

Famitsu does okay when reviewing low budget games.

AAA games with marketing money though

Ay lmao.

Pinky

Banned
If everyone thinks Famitsu is complete shit when it comes to reviews, then why do threads continue to get made? Doesn't make sense. Famitsu threads turn out the same every time and are quite predictable at this point.

Anyway, excellent scores for Zelda! Can't wait to play it!

takriel

LOL guys. Until now, Zelda has been getting stellar reviews. This famitsu review just further cements the trend.

Nairume

Banned
Demon's Souls (29/40)
Dark Souls (37/40)
Dark Souls 2 (37/40)
Dark Souls 3 (38/40)

Not to really defend Famitsu's awfulness (because clearly the change in popularity made a difference), but is that really any different from how reviewers and gamers both just kinda slept on From's prior RPGs of that style until they blew up?

Quit being a fanboy. They aren't being discredited because of the score, they are being discredited because they have a shady history of being paid off for reviews.

This is the magazine that gave Peacewalker perfect scores while the game had Famitsu magazines present in-game and the magazine owner was doing official ads for said game, and this is all without disclosing.

Famitsu does it to itself.

Famitsu does okay when reviewing low budget games.

AAA games with marketing money though

Ay lmao.

I'm not saying we should blindly trust Famitsu. I'm saying that perhaps the biggest thing to take here is that's yet another indication of this game being on its way to be really really critically acclaimed.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I think someone here once argued you shouldn't get all hot and bothered about a perfect 40/40 or something having a 36/37/38/39score from Famitsu and consider anything above 35 as basically a 5/5 or 10/10. Also, the four individual remarks on the game sometimes give interesting insight on the 'why' of a rating.

Then again there's plenty posts on GAF arguing that Famitsu is flawed af and scores 'bought' with the media spent of the big publishers. I know that to be true for my country, so it wouldn't surprise me.

LordKasual

Banned
The only way this game wasn't going to get a 40 from famitsu is if it was literally the worst Zelda game ever created.

Famitsu is very lenient with its perfect scores. The Internet is very lenient with Zelda in general. Need I remind anyone that Skyward Sword managed perfect review scores for some dumbass reason.

Expected, carry on

I'm not saying we should blindly trust Famitsu. I'm saying that perhaps the biggest thing to take here is that's yet another indication of this game being on its way to be really really critically acclaimed.
Personally I would save my takeaways for reviews I can read and an outlet that doesn't have a history of shadiness.

BotW is most likely going to get a great overall critical reception, there is no particular reason for you to value this particular magazine's take.

Top Bottom