• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2023 (Jun 26 -Jul 02)

It has been requested that i do not copy/paste the InstallBase format when posting famitsu data on Neogaf, so i'm now using famitsu's format and will create my own data table.

Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2023 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)​

Top 10 software sales​

1st NEW! Switch Super Detective Case Files
55,339 (total of 55,339) / Spike Chunsoft / June 30, 2023

2nd PS5 Final Fantasy XVI
37,763 (total of 373,790) - 89% / Square Enix / June 22, 2023

3rd Switch The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
26,089 (total of 1,723,314) + 4% / Nintendo / May 12, 2023

4th Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
10,244 (total of 5,354,788) + 27% / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

5th NEW! Switch Ghost trick
8,373 (total of 8,373) / Capcom / June 30, 2023

6th NEW! Switch 9 RIP
8,080 (total of 8,080) / Idea Factory / June 29, 2023

7th Switch Minecraft
7,241 (total of 3,178,847) + 17% / Microsoft Japan / June 21, 2018

8th Switch Nintendo Switch Sports
6,925 (total of 1,114,248) + 12% / Nintendo / April 29, 2022

9th NEW! Switch Tokyo Xanadu eX+ for Nintendo Switch
5,845 (total of 5,845) / Nihon Falcom / June 29, 2023

10th Switch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
5,341 (total of 5,225,169) + 25% / Nintendo / December 7, 2018

Hardware​

• Switch: 24,118 (total of 19,421,983)
  • Switch Lite: 22,051 (total of 5,389,433)
  • Nintendo Switch OLED: 60,045 (total of 4,961,211)
  • PS5: 44,967 (total of 3,318,567)
  • PS5 Digital Edition: 4,327 (total of 533,910)
  • Xbox Series X: 466 (total of 202,255)
  • Xbox Series S: 505 (total of 268,464)
  • PS4: 2,093 (total of 7,881,468)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL: 40 (total of 1,205,095)

UqUfi82.png

Last edited:

Fake

Jez... SF6 drop giga quick. Nintendo litelary own Japan, but is nice to see FF for a change.

MrA

Banned
Switch at 100k again for no reason is ridiculous, ps5 doing nicely as well
Ff16 might not be telling if it's facing shortages, otherwise near 90% is a pretty standard final fantasy drop

leo-j

Switch at 100k again for no reason is ridiculous, ps5 doing nicely as well
Ff16 might not be telling if it's facing shortages, otherwise near 90% is a pretty standard final fantasy drop
Selling 30k week 2 is not a standard FF drop

FF16 -88.76%
FF7R -89.95%
FF15 -88.88%

So percentage wise it's about in line with the last couple entries, but the lower debut makes it extra harsh.

I really dislike that dude because all of his PS/Sony reporting is inherently negatively biased. If he could find a way to report the drop as a bad thing, he'd do it, and it seems he's just being cheeky here in doing so.

In spite of that...yes percentage-wise it's in line but absolute number totals are effectively half of previous installments. Not the best sign, but also not the worst sign consider VII was released later in its generation with a larger install base to sell to. I think the drop for XVI in comparison to XV is the more troubling one considering they both have released roughly three years into their respective console generations.

Some of this though is also just attributable to a decline in the home console market in Japan. Sony REALLY needs to do something about that; a PS4 Portable or even PS5 Portable would be the obvious answers, and they'd have global appeal too beyond just Japan. But a PS5 Portable can't work unless they also made it a design for a (very) high-end smartphone market and partnered with carriers to help subsidize the costs through data plans. And I'd still expect a variant for the console market to go for over $499.

But, I think a lot of Japanese gamers would want that type of portable, so would a lot outside of the Japanese market.

Woopah

I really dislike that dude because all of his PS/Sony reporting is inherently negatively biased. If he could find a way to report the drop as a bad thing, he'd do it, and it seems he's just being cheeky here in doing so.

In spite of that...yes percentage-wise it's in line but absolute number totals are effectively half of previous installments. Not the best sign, but also not the worst sign consider VII was released later in its generation with a larger install base to sell to. I think the drop for XVI in comparison to XV is the more troubling one considering they both have released roughly three years into their respective console generations.

Some of this though is also just attributable to a decline in the home console market in Japan. Sony REALLY needs to do something about that; a PS4 Portable or even PS5 Portable would be the obvious answers, and they'd have global appeal too beyond just Japan. But a PS5 Portable can't work unless they also made it a design for a (very) high-end smartphone market and partnered with carriers to help subsidize the costs through data plans. And I'd still expect a variant for the console market to go for over $499.

But, I think a lot of Japanese gamers would want that type of portable, so would a lot outside of the Japanese market.
Sony's issue in Japan isn't hardware, its software. They need more games with wide appeal, not a PS portable.

MrA

Banned
Ff16 probably started as strong as if not stronger than ff7r in the US and Asia (except Japan) the uk and Spanish numbers are pretty weak so it probably isn't doing that well across Europe (the uk and Spanish ratios would have put it at like 2.25 million) coupled with how far down it is against ff7r in Japan it needs to be up in remaining territories to have reached that 3 million launch figure

Last edited by a moderator:

Celine

"Bu-bu-but install-base".

WiiU total install-base in Japan: 3.34M
Splatoon 1 (WiiU) total sales at retail in Japan: 1.54M

Yes, the expansion of the install-base (or lack of) helps/hinders the sales performance of a game but at the core there is always the question of the real desirability of a game.
Splatoon opened at 156K at retail then went selling ten times more, even if it was hosted on a failed console.
Once the sequel landed on a successful platform sales reached over 4M at retail.
Even if it debuted on a failed console it was quickly obvious that Splatoon was an extremely appealing game for the japanese audience (and not just for them).

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

So, FFXVI did have a huge drop-off in line with its predecessors after all and considering that first week numbers were already down over 50% from FFXV doesn't bode well for their long-term sales plan.

Last edited:
Sony's issue in Japan isn't hardware, its software. They need more games with wide appeal, not a PS portable.

I would say it's a mix of both. If the Switch weren't portable, you wouldn't see sales as good as they are, that's a fact. But I do also think Sony/PS need more big "family friendly" "all ages" style games that can be big trans-media IP the way something like Pokemon is.

Nintendo have the advantage of decades of building on very familiar IP in that style, so they have nostalgia on their side. Sony have more or less abandoned the majority of their pre-PS3 era IP, I would say maybe even pre-PS4 IP in specific cases. They have amazing brand retention of their key IP but not for as long as Nintendo has, and many of Sony's marquee IP are heavily story-driven which means there's always a built-in shelf life because some stories can't be continued beyond a certain period logically.

That's why they (Sony) should invest more in AA-sized 1P games in addition to the marquee AAA games, and use the AA games to branch back out into non-"epic" games the way their 1P did with PS1, PS2 & PS3. And try some 1P takes of quirky 3P titles that aren't really active anymore. Some of those could even be live service-based, just as long as they are doing something very unique. Imagine a AA Fall Guys x Only Up live service with Sony's level of quality and polish. That could be a big deal, if done right.

Otherwise yes I think lack of the right software is part of the challenge, but having a non-portable gaming system for a majority-portable market is the other side of the issue here.

"Bu-bu-but install-base".

WiiU total install-base in Japan: 3.34M
Splatoon 1 (WiiU) total sales at retail in Japan: 1.54M

Yes, the expansion of the install-base (or lack of) helps/hinders the sales performance of a game but at the core there is always the question of the real desirability of a game.
Splatoon opened at 156K at retail then went selling ten times more, even if it was hosted on a failed console.
Once the sequel landed on a successful platform sales reached over 4M at retail.
Even if it debuted on a failed console it was quickly obvious that Splatoon was an extremely appealing game for the japanese audience (and not just for them).

Most of Splatoon's sales come from Japan, though, and again that highlights the difficulty in making a "truly" globally-appealing IP. You either appeal strongly in Japan but softer in other markets, or the inverse.

Very, very, very few games/IP actually have consistently strong global appeal in the form of doing big numbers in all the major global markets. Minecraft, Smash Bros., Zelda for example seem to be among the only ones when it comes to sales. Throw in games like Fortnite when talking F2P. Historically I'd say Final Fantasy has never been a consistent IP in those regards, which is kind of expected given how radically different entries tend to be from one another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madflavor

I am fully confident in saying if FFXVI were on the Switch, it'd be very different story in regards to sales. PS5 is just not doing well in Japan, meanwhile Switch games sell like hotcakes over there. Granted I know FFXVI can't be on the Switch due to hardware limitations. I don't know what Yoshi-P's 18 month sales plan entails, but it better be good. The PC release will provide a decent boost, but unless the Switch 2 is closer than we think and there's an inevitable FFXVI Switch 2 port, I'm struggling to see how it'll have strong legs.

tkscz

Maybe it's because I'm not into Final Fantasy as I used to be but I don't even remember hearing much about it before it launched. Even then, didn't realize it had come out. Maybe I just wasn't paying much attention but that wasn't much fan-fair for this one as there was for previous games.

Last edited:
I am fully confident in saying if FFXVI were on the Switch, it'd be very different story in regards to sales. PS5 is just not doing well in Japan, meanwhile Switch games sell like hotcakes over there. Granted I know FFXVI can't be on the Switch due to hardware limitations. I don't know what Yoshi-P's 18 month sales plan entails, but it better be good. The PC release will provide a decent boost, but unless the Switch 2 is closer than we think and there's an inevitable FFXVI Switch 2 port, I'm struggling to see how it'll have strong legs.

But here's the thing: PS5 IS doing well in Japan. It's pacing ahead of the PS4 and even the PS3 there. The issue is software sales (at least physical), where it's just not pulling through as much as it should. That could be due to a lot of different reasons, it's hard to say. But PS5 software should definitely be doing better than it currently is, even if just looking at physical.

When you think about a lot of the big marquee games Sony cultivated on the PS4, the vast majority weren't games that had particular appeal to Japanese gaming audiences or built on IP with appeal to those audiences. Uncharted 4, Horizon, GOW..big games obviously, but Japan wasn't much of a factor into their sales success. Maybe Spiderman did strong in Japan? The IP is very popular there (and globally), after all. And we know Ghosts of Tsushima did very well in Japan, too. But, that's just at best two games 1P-wise over the course of a whole generation.

A crazy Switch hardware fact is that 2023 lost the first 17 weeks to 2022 but has now won 10 weeks in a row against 2022, of course it began with the Zelda Oled model launch in week 18. Switch could also realistically win the next 7 weeks against 2022 right up until the Splatoon 3 Oled model launched in week 35, 2022.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
An interesting Switch hardware fact is that 2023 lost the first 17 weeks to 2022 but has now won 10 weeks in a row against 2022, of course it began with the Zelda Oled model launch in week 18.
TOTKS and Marios games and movie don't be surprised when Switch 2023 beatses 2022 period

Madflavor

Here is hoping 7R part 2 destroys 16 so we dont have to go through another..

FFVII:R didn't do all that great either, and that was on a much larger install base. This isn't a "not muh Final Fantasy" issue. This is a software issue, along with a host of other reasons.

They released two disappointing Final Fantasy games in a row within a 6 year time span, then their next game took another 6 years to come out, on a single platform that's been struggling with it's software sales, and with a $10 price hike in a worse economy. Like no fucking shit the franchise is in an overall decline.

Kurotri

I have mentally prepared for the "FFXVI has failed to meet sales expectations" statement from Square Enix.

The game was wonderful. Hopefully this is just a Japan thing?

Last edited:

Hardensoul

FFVII:R didn't do all that great either, and that was on a much larger install base. This isn't a "not muh Final Fantasy" issue. This is a software issue, along with a host of other reasons.

They released two disappointing Final Fantasy games in a row within a 6 year time span, then their next game took another 6 years to come out, on a single platform that's been struggling with it's software sales, and with a $10 price hike in a worse economy. Like no fucking shit the franchise is in an overall decline.
Damn forgot games are $70 on PS5. I primarily play PC/Switch.

MrA

Banned
I have mentally prepared for the "FFXVI has failed to meet sales expectations" statement from Square Enix.

The game was wonderful. Hopefully this is just a Japan thing?
Spain and UK both posted weak numbers for ff16 indicating a weak performance in Europe, but if it sold 3 million, NA and Asia should both be as strong as ff7r
plus this isn't their former western studios, they're not going to admit defeat even if it is below expectation, they'll use weasel words like Market challenges are challenging or some nonsense
Most of Splatoon's sales come from Japan, though, and again that highlights the difficulty in making a "truly" globally-appealing IP. You either appeal strongly in Japan but softer in other markets, or the inverse.

most of splatoon's sales come from outside of Japan, splatoon 2 has sold over 9 million copies outside of Japan and 3 has like 5 or 6 million,

i will be SHOCKED if Super Mario RPG sells more than FFXVI
super mario rpg sold a bit over 2 million units on snes, best selling of the rpg mario games was bowsers inside story with a bit below 5 million (though it's re-release was a spectacular failure) so it would have to have some incredible growth to top ff16

Top Bottom