• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2023 (Jun 26 -Jul 02)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
super mario rpg sold a bit over 2 million units on snes, best selling of the rpg mario games was bowsers inside story with a bit below 5 million (though it's re-release was a spectacular failure) so it would have to have some incredible growth to top ff16

FF16 is barely over 3 million total and "total of 373,790" in japan... what are you talking about!? lol no "incredible growth" needed.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
FF16 is barely over 3 million total and "total of 373,790" in japan... what are you talking about!? lol no "incredible growth" needed.
FF16 isn't going to stop after a week, it should still reach several million more with a pc port eventually reaching 8-10 million shouldn't be impossible, plus maybe will see a switch 2 port as well, it would definitely help ff16 in Japan

leo-j

FF16 -88.76%
FF7R -89.95%
FF15 -88.88%

So percentage wise it's about in line with the last couple entries, but the lower debut makes it extra harsh.

Exactly my point….. half of XV’s launch with week 1 and 2 combined is abysmal (ps5 has a bigger base than ps4 did also in Japan by this time).

Happy to see Rain Code on the 1st spot. Got my copy earlier this week and I'll be diving into it come Friday.

Somewhat related, does anyone has the Famitsu first week sales data for Spike Chunsoft's AI Somnium Files Nirvana Initiative to see how it compares?

Hard to really make sense of what could be spurring the increase in Switch sales. Logic would say maybe it's due to people scooping up the remaining Zelda OLED inventory, but even base and lite models are seeing sales increases.

Happy to see Rain Code on the 1st spot. Got my copy earlier this week and I'll be diving into it come Friday.

Somewhat related, does anyone has the Famitsu first week sales data for Spike Chunsoft's AI Somnium Files Nirvana Initiative to see how it compares?

Funny. I just looked that up myself:

On the Famitsu sales charts in its first week, the game made positions 20, selling 2,333 copies, and 29, selling 1,319, for a combined total of 3,652 copies in its first week.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI:_The_Somnium_Files_%E2%80%93_Nirvana_Initiative

Hardensoul

It must be the Geno Effect!

Kc9u4yj.gif
I don’t play Smash but just love the character reveal trailers and also reactions to those. Geno seem to be huge fan favorite! I guess I’ll finally find out when I will play SMB RPG for the first time. So glad it is getting remastered!

Madflavor

Exactly my point….. half of XV’s launch with week 1 and 2 combined is abysmal (ps5 has a bigger base than ps4 did also in Japan by this time).

You have to consider XV had a lot more hype behind it, and it was a different market back then. Japanese market is mostly mobile gaming now, and more people have moved away from home consoles. A big reason why the Switch does well over there is it's a hybrid console. There's a reason Japanese Devs for the past several years have been targeting the West more and more. FFXVI is honestly doing the best it can under the circumstances. I don't expect Rebirth to do that much better.

This honestly should've caught more people's attention when FFVII Remake, the most hotly requested remake of all time, and released at the tail end of the PS4's cycle, only sold 5 million in 3 months, and then we never heard any update on it's sales again. After 3 years.

It's both. The brand is as good as dead there.
You'll see a bump when MHW2 and DQXII release, but that's about it.
And no, doing better than Xbox means absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't say PS as a brand is "dead" in Japan, that's getting a bit ridiculous.

But, I think we can agree that Sony pulling out of the handheld/portable market altogether and leaving Nintendo virtually uncontested there was one of the worst decisions they made WRT the Japanese market.

Sometimes I wonder why Sony didn't just basically do what Nintendo did in a merged platform, but better. They could have probably made a more modest PS5 spec-wise but with a dock providing a big (at least 2x) performance boost to a base model with a modular display and inputs. They have arguably the best-looking games on the market with 8th-gen titles on a PS4, and still have arguably the best-looking games on the market with games like HFW, which is cross-gen.

This is not the same as saying they should've done a Series S; the Series S is redundant both because of MS's Day 1 PC for all 1P games, and it being a non-portable home console that isn't much cheaper than a digital PS5, alongside Game Pass not being a good enough incentive to go with Xbox as a second platform. A more modest (say, 2 TF) PS5 portable with a specialized performance dock bringing another 6-8 TF (think of it as a specialized eGPU) when attached would have been a very interesting market option. They could have bundled them together in the West for roughly the same price PS5 disc models go for today, while in Japan they could've just prioritized the portable option (few bundles with the performance dock) and for the first couple of years have PS4 versions of cross-gen games run on it natively.

For PS5-only games I would still prefer them to treat it as a current PS5 rather than as a 2 TF portable using the extra power for simply visual flourishes (which is basically what the Series X is being used for today: a resolution box for Series S games), but marketing it in Japan as a PS4 portable with the ability to play select PS5 games natively (and stream others) would have gone over really well IMO. Software sales (at least the physical Famitsu & Mediacreate track) would be a lot higher, too.

blackjon24

Wish it did better but did any recent japanese jrpg series do exceptionally well in japan as of late? If you look at the sales of SMT5, xenoblade 3, octopath 2, Dragon quest 11 S (Switch) all did not light the world on fire on switch even with the huge userbase in japan

If you look at competitors like elden ring and tales of arise both did worse on multiple systems as well. I think worldwide is going to matter much more.

Follow-up take from Takashi

1118219293159600249.webp

He is right up there with Jez Corden and Tom Warren as being such a staunchly anti-PS "journalist". Complete joke of a sham, his credentials must've been him digging for a pen and paper in a trash can and making a suit out of newspaper when Bloomberg's hiring person was passed out drunk.

The blatant fanboyism from a so-called professional :/

Wish it did better but did any recent japanese jrpg series do exceptionally well in japan as of late? If you look at the sales of SMT5, xenoblade 3, octopath 2, Dragon quest 11 S (Switch) all did not light the world on fire on switch even with the huge userbase in japan

If you look at competitors like elden ring and tales of arise both did worse on multiple systems as well. I think worldwide is going to matter much more.

I think is already the case. The US will be the game's biggest market most likely, followed by various European countries. There's also a chance some non-Japanese Asian countries like China have a decent share toward sales as well.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I certainly don't think any of this was unexpected. The warning signs of Final Fantasy's decline in not just Japan, but globally, have been around for quite awhile. FFVII:R's sales should've been "the moment" where people took notice. The most hotly requested remake for one of the most legendary games ever, only managed 5 million in 3 months on the PS4, and we haven't heard a peep since. That was on a much larger install base, and even with the PC release and the PS5 Intergrade version, we still haven't gotten an update on sales, which indicates bad legs. People who've got it in their heads that FFXVI is tanking in Japan because they think it's a betrayal to the franchise, or a bad game, are in for a wake up call next year with FFVII: Rebirth.

Yoshi-P has his 18 month sales plan, and they're claiming they're aiming for the western markets. So we'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sony's issue in Japan isn't hardware, its software. They need more games with wide appeal, not a PS portable.
i still believe hardware is the reason why PS is losing market share here.

Japan = mobile/ portable.

Kerotan

3M+ is WW including digital. Japan numbers don't and with digital it's probably over 500k. The revenue for SE should be pretty good considering ps5 game's are $10 more expensive and digital share is bigger so more profits.

SE are happy, Nauty is happy and you should be too.

lyan

It is hard to tell with digital becoming the majority, the Japanese themselves were wondering if Famitsu numbers are meaningless now when Capcom announced 90% of their sales are digital.
Still the Nintendo family friendly titles will remain strong physically as those are the go-to games parents/grandparents buy for their kids.

Hardensoul

I certainly don't think any of this was unexpected. The warning signs of Final Fantasy's decline in not just Japan, but globally, have been around for quite awhile. FFVII:R's sales should've been "the moment" where people took notice. The most hotly requested remake for one of the most legendary games ever, only managed 5 million in 3 months on the PS4, and we haven't heard a peep since. That was on a much larger install base, and even with the PC release and the PS5 Intergrade version, we still haven't gotten an update on sales, which indicates bad legs. People who've got it in their heads that FFXVI is tanking in Japan because they think it's a betrayal to the franchise, or a bad game, are in for a wake up call next year with FFVII: Rebirth.

Yoshi-P has his 18 month sales plan, and they're claiming they're aiming for the western markets. So we'll have to wait and see how that turns out.
The FF7 remake wasn’t for me! I’ll never buy or play it until the full game is finish. I don’t care if it gets a lot of praise. I’m not waiting years for them to finish part 2-3-4-5….or how many they splitting it up to to complete the story!

Just to give more context to what typical FF games actually sell lifetime-wise (source):

FF VIII: 12 million (863K PS1 demo, 8.6 million PS1, 1.8 million Steam, 1.4 million PS4, 111K XB1, 29K Switch)

FF IX: 8.9 million (5.5 million PS1, 1.7 million PS4, 1.1 million Steam, 172K Xbox)

FF X: 8.956 million (PS2)(*not counting reissues or the spinoffs)

FF XIII: 9.6 million (5.275 million PS, 2.33 million Xbox, 2 million Steam)

FF XV: 10.27 million (5.7 million PS, 2.3 million Xbox, 2.5 million PC/Steam)

That's a lifetime average of just under 10 million for each mainline FF game outside of FF VII and earlier. I think some people feel these games have always done Elden Ring or BOTW, or Spiderman & modern GOW numbers; that just simply isn't true and has never been true. However, historically Final Fantasy has been the most prestigious of JRPGs in terms of genre innovations and sales.

Historically.

JRPGs aren't even so easily defined these days and a game like Elden Ring could be called a JRPG or WRPG very easily. While we could look at these numbers and see that Xbox didn't do terribly for XIII and XV (at least compared to Steam/PC), consider that FF VII Remake has sold around 9.2 million copies, with 8.5 million being on PS4. That's about in line with FFX and, similarly, on just one platform.

Basically, FF doesn't need Xbox in order to reach 10 million sales, which would be the average for a FF game, and considering a lot of Xbox gamers have switched to PC anyway, Steam/EGS etc. should make up for a good portion of Xbox's missing sales once XVI gets ported to PC. Now there could be a question of if profit margins per entry are as good as previous entries, since AAA games cost a lot more to make today than back in 2001. But again, that's probably stuff Sony factored in when they reached whatever deal they seem to have with Square-Enix, so Sony is footing a good deal of the production costs for XVI (as well as a lot of upfront marketing costs) would be my guess.

That should leave Square-Enix with fat profit margins. XVI is probably already turning a profit for them and should continue doing so with long-term sales plus getting ports to PC. What I do kind of expect though, too, is probably a scaled down (visually) Switch 2 port either in 2024 or 2025, depending on when the PC port is done (that one would come first). If Square-Enix are counting on reaching well beyond 10 million lifetime sales, they'll do that with a Switch 2 port.

Which makes expending resources on an Xbox port practically worthless. It is what it is.

Ozzie666

There seems to be some rumors that FF16 may be released in some sort of de-make, 2D or 2.5 form like FF15 on mobile. I'd be curious to see how well a more traditional FF16 would do on switch. Dragon Quest on Switch should destroy PS5? one would expect.

Honestly, Square is as bad as EA ignoring Switch with such a market size. Japanese developers are chasing those western type games just like Sony. Only Capcom comes to mind with a japense company that seems to be finding consistent success.

This chase for power is going to ruin them.

Who the hell is buying switches still. In our household we have owned maybe 5-7 switches or so. Switch Lite, Old model, OLED and sold the old ones etc. I know people buy pro's and slims etc. Really inflating that install base. We only have 1 Switch remaining now.

Madflavor

Historically.

JRPGs aren't even so easily defined these days and a game like Elden Ring could be called a JRPG or WRPG very easily. While we could look at these numbers and see that Xbox didn't do terribly for XIII and XV (at least compared to Steam/PC), consider that FF VII Remake has sold around 9.2 million copies, with 8.5 million being on PS4. That's about in line with FFX and, similarly, on just one platform.

Do we actually have data for that, or is this a guesstimate?

leo-j

Just to give more context to what typical FF games actually sell lifetime-wise (source):

FF VIII: 12 million (863K PS1 demo, 8.6 million PS1, 1.8 million Steam, 1.4 million PS4, 111K XB1, 29K Switch)

FF IX: 8.9 million (5.5 million PS1, 1.7 million PS4, 1.1 million Steam, 172K Xbox)

FF X: 8.956 million (PS2)(*not counting reissues or the spinoffs)

FF XIII: 9.6 million (5.275 million PS, 2.33 million Xbox, 2 million Steam)

FF XV: 10.27 million (5.7 million PS, 2.3 million Xbox, 2.5 million PC/Steam)

That's a lifetime average of just under 10 million for each mainline FF game outside of FF VII and earlier. I think some people feel these games have always done Elden Ring or BOTW, or Spiderman & modern GOW numbers; that just simply isn't true and has never been true. However, historically Final Fantasy has been the most prestigious of JRPGs in terms of genre innovations and sales.

Historically.

Basically, FF doesn't need Xbox in order to reach 10 million sales, which would be the average for a FF game, and considering a lot of Xbox gamers have switched to PC anyway, Steam/EGS etc. should make up for a good portion of Xbox's missing sales once XVI gets ported to PC. Now there could be a question of if profit margins per entry are as good as previous entries, since AAA games cost a lot more to make today than back in 2001. But again, that's probably stuff Sony factored in when they reached whatever deal they seem to have with Square-Enix, so Sony is footing a good deal of the production costs for XVI (as well as a lot of upfront marketing costs) would be my guess.

That should leave Square-Enix with fat profit margins. XVI is probably already turning a profit for them and should continue doing so with long-term sales plus getting ports to PC. What I do kind of expect though, too, is probably a scaled down (visually) Switch 2 port either in 2024 or 2025, depending on when the PC port is done (that one would come first). If Square-Enix are counting on reaching well beyond 10 million lifetime sales, they'll do that with a Switch 2 port.

Which makes expending resources on an Xbox port practically worthless. It is what it is.
Source for all these figures?

lyan

I think they are, but the FFVII: Remake one is what I'm curious about. Last official sales data we got from that game was back in August 2020 at 5 million sales. S
the achievement tracking site cited for the period before it went to psplus for 7R is under paywall =(

Porcile

Not quite sure what the point is here. Akihabara doesn't represent Japan in any way whatsoever. 90% of the people who go there are tourists. It's probably the least Japanese place in all of Japan. So it's no surprise the people there buying PS5s are foreigners.

That would make much more sense to me; Chinese not getting the required numbers for their market, than Japanese people living under a rock and realizing 6 years in the market that they want one. The japanese market should be saturated, everyone who is slightly interested should already have one and almost only replacements for broken units should be sold. There is no reason to wait that long if you are into Nintendo stuff at all. All systemsellers have been released ages ago, no price cuts.

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. [NSW] Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE (Spike Chunsoft, 06/30/23) – 55,339 (New)
  2. [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix, 06/22/23) – 37,763 (373,790)
  3. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo, 05/12/23) – 26,089 (1,723,314)
  4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 10,244 (5,354,788)
  5. [NSW] Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (Capcom, 06/30/23) – 8,373 (New)
  6. [NSW] 9 R.I.P. (Idea Factory, 06/29/23) – 8,080 (New)
  7. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 7,241 (3,178,847)
  8. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 6,925 (1,114,248)
  9. [NSW] Tokyo Xanadu eX+ for Nintendo switch (Falcom, 06/29/23) – 5,845 (New)
  10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 5,341 (5,225,169)
  11. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 5,329 (3,410,392)
  12. [NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo, 09/09/22) – 5,250 (4,048,685)
  13. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Pokemon Violet (The Pokemon company, 11/18/22) – 5,010 (5,063,467)
  14. [PS5] Street fighter 6 (Capcom, 06/02/23) – 4,765 (41,850)
  15. [NSW] The Quintessenthial Quintuplets: Gotopazu Story (MAGES., 06/29/23) – 4,609 (New)
  16. [PS4] Street Fighter 6 (Capcom, 06/02/23) – 4,298 (29,682)
  17. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 3,929 (2,220,071)
  18. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 3,737 (1,254,444)
  19. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 3,390 (7,487,592)
  20. [NSW] Everybody 1-2 Switch (Nintendo, 06/30/23) – 3,320 (New)
  21. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream land Deluxe (Nintendo, 02/24/23) – 3,1923 (454,370)
  22. [NSW] Xicatrice (Nippon Ichi Software, 06/29/23) – 2,334 (New)
  23. [NSW] Ikaruga (Pikii, 06/30/23) – 2,192 (New)
  24. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo, 02/12/21) – 2,173 (1,163,262)
  25. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo, 06/05/20) – 2,106 (1,133,242)
  26. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo, 01/11/19) – 2,023 (1,271,956)
  27. [PS5] Diablo IV (Blizzard Entertainment, 06/06/23) – 1,961 (33,777)
  28. [NSW] Momotaru Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 1,896 (2,887,680)
  29. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 03/25/22) – 1,728 (1,038,516)
  30. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythym Festival (Bandai Namco, 09/22/22) – 1,641 (186,362)

Everybody 1-2 Switch bombed hard, Nintendo's worst selling boxed game on Switch by far.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Wait a minute what happened to the Nintendo effect! I was under the impression anything Nintendo releases get good scores and loved by their rabid fans!!
Haven’t you heard? The ’Nintendo Bonus’ only exists when their games are rated high.

And if a high profile Nintendo game is rated higher than another high profile non-Nintendo game the Nintendo bonus always equals:

([Score of Nintendo game] + 0.1) - [Score of non-Nintendo game]

Last edited:

SantaC

Ff16 probably started as strong as if not stronger than ff7r in the US and Asia (except Japan) the uk and Spanish numbers are pretty weak so it probably isn't doing that well across Europe (the uk and Spanish ratios would have put it at like 2.25 million) coupled with how far down it is against ff7r in Japan it needs to be up in remaining territories to have reached that 3 million launch figure
Europe like their RPGs and FF16 is not.

Sojiro

Sure thing Switch, go ahead and keep selling 100k+ units a week. I guess Everybody 1-2 switch's release was just a massive system selling boost that people forgot to buy the game with 😂. Good to see Nintendo keep the pure, traditional console gaming space alive in Japan where no other company unfortunately wants to develop for!

Woopah

I would say it's a mix of both. If the Switch weren't portable, you wouldn't see sales as good as they are, that's a fact. But I do also think Sony/PS need more big "family friendly" "all ages" style games that can be big trans-media IP the way something like Pokemon is.

Nintendo have the advantage of decades of building on very familiar IP in that style, so they have nostalgia on their side. Sony have more or less abandoned the majority of their pre-PS3 era IP, I would say maybe even pre-PS4 IP in specific cases. They have amazing brand retention of their key IP but not for as long as Nintendo has, and many of Sony's marquee IP are heavily story-driven which means there's always a built-in shelf life because some stories can't be continued beyond a certain period logically.

That's why they (Sony) should invest more in AA-sized 1P games in addition to the marquee AAA games, and use the AA games to branch back out into non-"epic" games the way their 1P did with PS1, PS2 & PS3. And try some 1P takes of quirky 3P titles that aren't really active anymore. Some of those could even be live service-based, just as long as they are doing something very unique. Imagine a AA Fall Guys x Only Up live service with Sony's level of quality and polish. That could be a big deal, if done right.

Otherwise yes I think lack of the right software is part of the challenge, but having a non-portable gaming system for a majority-portable market is the other side of the issue here.
I agree with almost everything you say apart from "majority-portable market". As I mention below, PS5 is currently selling hardware faster than PSP or Vita did in their third year. Japan didn't go to portables because they could be played on the go, they went because that's where the biggest games were. That's why I say software is a bigger problem for Sony than hardware.
It's both. The brand is as good as dead there.
You'll see a bump when MHW2 and DQXII release, but that's about it.
And no, doing better than Xbox means absolutely nothing.
The PS brand itself is doing pretty well, it just needs more appealing games more regularly.

I thought Rain Code would do 32k, so its way better than what I thought.
You have to consider XV had a lot more hype behind it, and it was a different market back then. Japanese market is mostly mobile gaming now, and more people have moved away from home consoles. A big reason why the Switch does well over there is it's a hybrid console. There's a reason Japanese Devs for the past several years have been targeting the West more and more. FFXVI is honestly doing the best it can under the circumstances. I don't expect Rebirth to do that much better.

This honestly should've caught more people's attention when FFVII Remake, the most hotly requested remake of all time, and released at the tail end of the PS4's cycle, only sold 5 million in 3 months, and then we never heard any update on it's sales again. After 3 years.
It wasn't like people in Japan just stopped playing games on TVs, they just went to the devices with the most appealing software.

Elden Ring did over 1 million Japan including digital, and Dragon Quest 11 S (Switch) did over 900,000 just physical (so probably over 1 million with digital).
i still believe hardware is the reason why PS is losing market share here.

Japan = mobile/ portable.
The mobile phone market isn't really impacting the console market in any meaningful way, its a separate thing. Portability does indeed help Switch hardware sales, but its ability to play games on a TV screen also massively helps its hardware sales.

Hardware-wise, PS5 is doing better than the PS3 and PS4 did in their third year, but its also doing better than PSP and Vita. Which would wouldn't happen if "Japan = mobile/ portable". Meanwhile software wise, PS5 is probably doing worse than those 4 platforms.

Zathalus

But a PS5 Portable can't work unless they also made it a design for a (very) high-end smartphone market and partnered with carriers to help subsidize the costs through data plans. And I'd still expect a variant for the console market to go for over $499.

But, I think a lot of Japanese gamers would want that type of portable, so would a lot outside of the Japanese market.
A PS5 portable is just not feasible. As in the cooling and power consumption is just not there. Not even on 3nm. Or even 2nm.

I suppose you can make it a lower spec, but then you run into the Series S problem.

Maybe something with an eGPU could be done, but that would require another die, seperate cooling and PSU, and likely drive costs up significantly.

Rat Rage

JRPGs aren't even so easily defined these days and a game like Elden Ring could be called a JRPG or WRPG very easily.

What? No, Elden Ring can't be called a JRPG. The term "JRPG" has been around for ages and refers to a video game genre. If anything, I've noticed some really dumb opinions of what a JRPG is over the last few years.
I think it's because some of the people misusing the term "JRPG" are too young to remember a time when the term "JRPG" was used synonymously with "turn-based-role-playing-game". They get confused by "Japanese Role Playing Game" and assume that any game that isn't even an RPG but merely features "RPG elements" developed in Japan could be labeled a "JRPG".

Top Bottom