• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 32, 2023 (Jul 31 - Aug 06)

Woopah

You named 2 huge franchises that have sold for decades, one of the best games ever made, and momotaro i never heard of. A developer hitting big in japan not named Nintendo is like hitting the lotto.
I was naming some of the successful third party games, to show why it is worth bothering in Japan.

zeldaring

Banned
I was naming some of the successful third party games, to show why it is worth bothering in Japan.
if you were a developer would you focus on rest of the world or japan tastes. Elden ring sales are pathetic compared to the rest of the world. if would be a massive risk and most likely fail as they are clearly just in love with the Nintendo brand.

Woopah

if you were a developer would you focus on rest of the world or japan tastes. Elden ring sales are pathetic compared to the rest of the world. if would be a massive risk and most likely fail as they are clearly just in love with the Nintendo brand.
If I'm a developer, I'm not choosing between Japan and the rest of the world just like I'm not choosing between France and the rest of the world.

I'm just making a game that people want to play and selling it globally, including in Japan which is the 2nd biggest console market. The games which are successful in Japan tend to be popular everywhere, we can see that in the top 30.

People buy a game for the game, not the publisher. A game doesn't sell just because it has Nintendo's name on it. The possibility is there for third parties.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
If I'm a developer, I'm not choosing between Japan and the rest of the world just like I'm not choosing between France and the rest of the world.

I'm just making a game that people want to play and selling it globally, including in Japan which is the 2nd biggest console market. The games which are successful in Japan tend to be popular everywhere, we can see that in the top 30.

People buy a game for the game, not the publisher. A game doesn't sell just because it has Nintendo's name on it. The possibility is there for third parties.
Thing is third party games are selling better then ever Japan just doesn't like what the rest of the world does so why focus on them?

I believe brand and handheld is a huge factor so many quality games fail there and just look at the 360. Great console sold like it was the virtual boy lol. So many quality revolutionary games bomb there while they do great WW.

Last edited:

Woopah

Thing is third party games are selling better then ever Japan just doesn't like what the rest of the world does so why focus on them?

I believe brand and handheld is a huge factor so many quality games fail there and just look at the 360. Great console sold like it was the virtual boy lol. So many quality revolutionary games bomb there while they do great WW.
Because you don't have to focus on Japan. I don't think Nintendo "focused on Japan" for Switch Sports or Tears of the Kingdom. Neither do I think Warner Bros did it for Hogwarts or From Software is doing it for Armoured Core.

Definitely the Xbox brand has really struggled in Japan, but even Microsoft had great success in the country with Minecraft.

Is it possible to have success with games focused on Japan? Yes, the market is large enough to support that. But that's only worth doing for a small number of games.

In most cases Japan can just be another country to sell your game in as you aim for worldwide success, like Nier Automata or SMT V or Tales of Arise.

Pleased to see Pikmin doing well and having some legs.

You can tell Nintendo puts a lot of resources into the franchise, but the sales haven't always reflected that.

Top Bottom