• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 33,2023 (Aug 7 - Aug 13)

Famitsu Sales: Week 33, 2023 (Aug 7 - Aug 13)​

Software​

1st Switch Pikmin 4
69,989 (total 666,377) -11% / Nintendo / July 21, 2023

2nd Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
16,177 (total 5,426,782) +14% / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

3rd Switch The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
15,768 (total 1,820,225) +7% / Nintendo / May 12, 2023

4th Switch Minecraft
9,878 (total 3,225,961) +16% / Microsoft Japan / June 21, 2018

5th Switch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
7,819 (total 5,258,520) +29% / Nintendo / December 7, 2018

6th Switch Nintendo Switch Sports
7,618 (total 1,151,536) +17% / Nintendo / April 29, 2022

7th Switch Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
7,128 (total 5,092,971) +49% / Pokemon / November 18, 2022

8th Switch Splatoon 3
6,705 (total 4,085,585) -3% / Nintendo / September 9, 2022

9th Switch Natsumon! 20th century summer vacation
6,155 (total 37,594) -53% / Spike Chunsoft / July 28, 2023

10th Switch Mario Party Superstars
5,952 (total 1,279,705) +20% / Nintendo / October 29, 2021

Hardware​

• Switch: 12,446 (total of 19,496,224)
  • Switch Lite: 8,042 (total of 5,449,594)
  • Switch OLED: 71,256 (total of 5,312,645)
  • PS5: 45,095 (total of 3,588,885)
  • PS5 Digital Edition: 5,767 (total of 558,901)
  • Xbox Series X: 1,639 (total of 211,325)
  • Xbox Series S: 653 (total of 269,659)
  • PS4: 1,543 (total of 7,893,282)
  • New Nintendo 2DS LL: 29 (total of 1,192,053)

xWIXVKN.png

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Thanks. PS4 Pro sold 20% of the PS4 in Japan? It was more than I believed. And the Switch is really strong there! By the way your title have a mistake Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 :

Sales-Age Famitsu Sales: Week 33,2023 (Aug 7 - Aug 3)​

it should be 7- Aug 13 I suppose?

Now imagine what the PS5 Pro will be like, now that people are properly prepared for what mid-gen consoles are.

MrA

Banned
xbox doing better in Japan than in most European countries, that's quite a thing
switch and ps5 continue to look good,
where are those 2ds's coming from?

Nintendo must be sweating over the fact that they’ll have to release a new system soon. It’s very hard for me to believe they’ll reach this level of success with the next one.
Why? If anything, they just need to name it Switch 2 and the momentum will be a lot bigger than when the first Switch came out.

I doubt it will hit Switch's overall sales, simply because it was the go-to console during Covid alone. It was the perfect storm for Nintendo for 2 years in a row while PS4 was dying and the PS5 was getting released and having those stock issues...but Nintendo was never this healthy. I bet they were sweating before Switch came out, not now.

Saber

Gold Member
Pikimin still staying strong, what a chad! And for the love of Peach, when this MK gonna ever stop selling lmao

Also, PS4 is basically selling as much as Series X. This is trully a thing of beauty.

In just four weeks of retail sales Pikmin 4 has already surpassed the last known retail number for Pikmin 3 Deluxe before it fell out of the charts, this makes Pikmin 4 already the best seller in the franchise for Japan.

[NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2020.10.30} (¥5.980) – 642.696

[NSW] Pikmin 4 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.07.21} (¥5.980) - 666.377

Credit: Blue Monty from InstallBase

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Why? If anything, they just need to name it Switch 2 and the momentum will be a lot bigger than when the first Switch came out.

I doubt it will hit Switch's overall sales, simply because it was the go-to console during Covid alone. It was the perfect storm for Nintendo for 2 years in a row while PS4 was dying and the PS5 was getting released and having those stock issues...but Nintendo was never this healthy. I bet they were sweating before Switch came out, not now.
I guess. But i’m just thinking they’ve had insane success with both software and hardware. They’ve also pretty much owned Japan. Things can change a lot.

I’m sure the next one will be successful, but so was the 3DS and that system was waaaay behind the DS still.

Shareholder are naturally going to want things to keep going up.

Last edited:

Woopah

I think it will be interesting to see if greater third party support (especially from the beginning) could offset the lack of a COVID boost.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

And this is part of the problem. not only Nintendo is known for looking for a new gimmick each new generation since at least the Wii, and the hard work that made this success possible was done under the late Satoru Iwata. Will they dare make a Switch 2 with no differenciator at all? Will they try to do another gimmick this time? Will they have a good deal from Nvidia again ? Lot of reasons to be curious about their next console. Like the PS3, they will have to work hard to fail, and I can still see them failing here. The Wii U was in the same situation after all. I hope not, and I am 99% sure that it will be a great success but there is a possibility of it and in their shoes I would be sweating bullets.

Nintendo must be sweating over the fact that they’ll have to release a new system soon. It’s very hard for me to believe they’ll reach this level of success with the next one.

It won't be hard. As we can see, Nintendo have the strongest-performing games in the Japanese market. They have the games that make Japanese gamers go out and buy their systems, in massive droves.

As long as the Switch 2 isn't a complete cock-up like the Wii U was to its predecessor, they shouldn't have any problems repeating this success in Japan.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
As long as the Switch 2 isn't a complete cock-up like the Wii U was to its predecessor, they shouldn't have any problems repeating this success in Japan.
Yeah I don’t doubt it’ll be successful (I definitely doubt it’ll be a WiiU). I just doubt it’ll be as successful as the Switch is.

They’re going to sell >140M systems now. If they sell 70M of “Switch 2” they’ll still be successful, but I very much doubt that’s where Nintendo want to be going off of the Switch momentum. I just think it’s going to be very very difficult to keep growth going up. I don’t think the next Animal Crossing will sell >40M units, or that Mario Kart 9 will top 60M units etc.

That’s why I think they’re sweating over there.

Yeah I don’t doubt it’ll be successful (I definitely doubt it’ll be a WiiU). I just doubt it’ll be as successful as the Switch is.

They’re going to sell >140M systems now. If they sell 70M of “Switch 2” they’ll still be successful, but I very much doubt that’s where Nintendo want to be going off of the Switch momentum. I just think it’s going to be very very difficult to keep growth going up. I don’t think the next Animal Crossing will sell >40M units, or that Mario Kart 9 will top 60M units etc.

That’s why I think they’re sweating over there.

A drop like that for an otherwise successful Nintendo follow-up system is starker than the drop they had from NES/Famicom to SNES/Super Famicom. That's closer to the drop they had from SNES to N64 IMO, relative to the rest of the market.

To me a drop by 50% hardware sales from Switch to Switch 2 would signify something went horribly wrong, like we saw from the 360 to the XBO, because you'd be getting that 70 million mainly off the strength of the previous system and maybe Nintendo pulling things back together near the end similar to Sony in the PS3 gen. I just don't see the drop-off being anywhere near that much for Switch 2.

At this rate, at worst Switch 2 will do PS4 numbers. Of course, if the 1P software isn't top-tier (next 3D Mario a dud, no new Zelda for a very long time, no new Pokemon for a very long time or it ends up bad, etc.) then we could be looking at numbers close to 100 million or even less. But that would require almost too many things to go badly for Nintendo to ever realistically happen, IMO.

I do see something of interest in what you're saying, though, and I think it could be argued a lot of Nintendo's game got big bumps in sales due to the unique value proposition the Switch represented in the market. It seemed very unique and new to a lot of people, and the first system of theirs that merged their console and handheld markets into one. If Switch 2 is just "more of the same", I think there's actually a good chance they just do away with the generational approach altogether and the Switch 2 is treated as a new model in the same brand line, like iPhones are.

That way the pressure to outsell the Switch isn't there, since the new Switch is brand-wise a continuation of the previous system, but with updated specs. Would also expect cross-gen support to be a focus for Nintendo for the first couple years in that case, maybe some means to allow Switch owners to upgrade to the new system, and so on.

That is one approach they could take, seems, to get a new model out without the pressure of outdoing the insane performance of the original, if the Switch 2 isn't as stunning a new type of thing the Switch was.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
A drop like that for an otherwise successful Nintendo follow-up system is starker than the drop they had from NES/Famicom to SNES/Super Famicom. That's closer to the drop they had from SNES to N64 IMO, relative to the rest of the market.

To me a drop by 50% hardware sales from Switch to Switch 2 would signify something went horribly wrong, like we saw from the 360 to the XBO, because you'd be getting that 70 million mainly off the strength of the previous system and maybe Nintendo pulling things back together near the end similar to Sony in the PS3 gen. I just don't see the drop-off being anywhere near that much for Switch 2.

At this rate, at worst Switch 2 will do PS4 numbers. Of course, if the 1P software isn't top-tier (next 3D Mario a dud, no new Zelda for a very long time, no new Pokemon for a very long time or it ends up bad, etc.) then we could be looking at numbers close to 100 million or even less. But that would require almost too many things to go badly for Nintendo to ever realistically happen, IMO.
Let’s hope so. But that’s exactly what happened between DS (154M) and 3DS (76M) which were very similar systems and had a very similar library.

Could be anything. Maybe the system will feel to similar to the previous one so people don’t upgrade, maybe they price it too high etc.

I just doubt they’ll reach the same heights next time, both for software and hardware.

Let’s hope so. But that’s exactly what happened between DS (154M) and 3DS (76M) which were very similar systems and had a very similar library.

Could be anything. Maybe the system will feel to similar to the previous one so people don’t upgrade, maybe they price it too high etc.

I just doubt they’ll reach the same heights next time, both for software and hardware.

Yeah, it's definitely possible. I think when Nintendo reveals the next Switch, how they reveal it and present it as a product in the market will let us know which way they position it. I.e as a whole new successor that basically acts as a "reset" of sorts, or an updated model of the original positioned like an upgrade in the way new iPhones are.

If Switch 2 isn't a massive departure from the original in terms of hardware concept and such, I think Nintendo will take the latter approach.

Luigi Mario

Considering that the last mainline entry in the Armored Core series released almost a decade ago, I'm really curious to see how AC6 will fare in Japan.
It was a different market back then and Verdict Day still did around 80K in its launch month.
Any guesses on first week numbers Woopah Woopah and Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 ?

Last edited:

Woopah

Considering that the last mainline entry in the Armored Core series released almost a decade ago, I'm really curious to see how AC6 will fare in Japan.
It was different market back then and Verdict Day still did around 80K in its launch month.
Any guesses on first week numbers Woopah Woopah and Luminoth-4545 Luminoth-4545 ?
I'm very bullish and think it could clear 170,000 first week (I want to say 200,000 but maybe that's too optimistic). There's a gameplay demnonstration being streamed in Japan which should further help.

The first week history for the numbered games is:

• Armored Core (PS1) - 59.181
  • Armored Core 2 (PS2) - 122,190
  • Armored Core 3 (PS2) - 126.278
  • Armored Core 4 (PS3) - 36,446
  • Armored Core 4 (360) - 12,673
  • Armored Core V (PS3) - 170,237
  • Armored Core V (360) - 23,820

Top 30

Software Sales
(followed by lifetime sales)
  1. [NSW] Pikmin 4 (Nintendo, 07/21/23) – 69,989 (666,377)
  2. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 16,177 (5,426,782)
  3. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo, 05/12/23) – 15,768 (1,820,225)
  4. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 9,878 (3,225,961)
  5. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 7,819 (5,258,520)
  6. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 7,618 (1,151,536)
  7. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Pokemon Violet (The Pokemon Company, 11/18/22) – 7,128 (5,092,971)
  8. [NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo, 09/09/22) – 6,705 (4,085,585)
  9. [NSW] Natsu-Mon! 20th Century Summer Vacation (Spike Chunsoft, 07/28/23) – 6,155 (37,594)
  10. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 5,952 (1,279,705)
  11. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 5,430 (7,512,167)
  12. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 4,925 (2,907,301)
  13. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 4,841 (3,437,199)
  14. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival (Bandai Namco, 09/22/22) – 4,217 (201,485)
  15. [NSW] Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe (Nintendo, 02/24/23) – 3,601 (472,052)
  16. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo, 06/05/20) – 3,349 (1,148,252)
  17. [PS5] Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix, 06/22/23) – 3,159 (411,039)
  18. [NSW] eBASEBALL Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 (Konami, 04/21/22) – 3,104 (287,887)
  19. [NSW] Hakuouki Shinkai: Manyou no Shou (Idea Factory, 08/10/23) – 3,065 (New)
  20. [NSW] Soaring Sky! Pretty Cure – Soaring! Puzzle Collection (D3 Publisher, 08/10/23) – 2,983 (New)
  21. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo, 02/12/21) – 2,936 (1,176,287)
  22. [PS5] Neptunia Game Maker R:Evolution (Compile Heart, 08/10/23) – 2,871 (New)
  23. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 2,429 (2,235,384)
  24. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Special Price (SEGA, 11/17/22) – 2,354 (82,283)
  25. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo, 01/11/19) – 2,351 (1,283,024)
  26. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo, 10/05/18) – 2,280 (2,167,388)
  27. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 03/25/22) – 2,166 (1,049,285)
  28. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl (Pokemon, 11/19/21) – 2,214 (2,654,802)
  29. [NSW] Everybody 1-2-Switch! (Nintendo, 06/30/23) – 2,069 (18,249)
  30. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo, 06/28/19) – 1,812 (1,307,835)

Sojiro

Pikmin! Switch is at 90k again, purple Pikmin doing some heavy lifting. Mario Wonder is the next notable game for switch right? Wonder how HW sales will hold until late October.

Woopah

Pikmin! Switch is at 90k again, purple Pikmin doing some heavy lifting. Mario Wonder is the next notable game for switch right? Wonder how HW sales will hold until late October.
The major major notable Switch releases for the rest of 2023 are:

October - Super Mario Bros. Wonder
November - Momotaro Dentetsu sequel + Super Mario RPG
December - Dragon Quest Monsters 4

But several other games should do well too. We could also see new games/dates at TGS and the September Direct.

Kerotan

Can we get a round of applause for the phenom know as the PlayStation Quintuple.

Another week another 50k. I expected it to be struggling to hit 40k by now I'll gladly be wrong.

I wonder when stock will start running dry in markets ahead of the slim launch.

Woopah

Can we get a round of applause for the phenom know as the PlayStation Quintuple.

Another week another 50k. I expected it to be struggling to hit 40k by now I'll gladly be wrong.

I wonder when stock will start running dry in markets ahead of the slim launch.
Not for a while I would guess. The Spiderman bundle is the standard edition console right?

The major major notable Switch releases for the rest of 2023 are:

October - Super Mario Bros. Wonder
November - Momotaro Dentetsu sequel + Super Mario RPG
December - Dragon Quest Monsters 4

But several other games should do well too. We could also see new games/dates at TGS and the September Direct.

Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, FFIW. Bigger than Final Fantasy there actually, at least from what I remember. Like, DQ VII's release in Japan was mammoth.

I know the Monsters series is a spinoff but it plays into the Pokemon/Monster Hunter style appeal and well, we know those games are massive in Japan as well.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, FFIW. Bigger than Final Fantasy there actually, at least from what I remember. Like, DQ VII's release in Japan was mammoth.

I know the Monsters series is a spinoff but it plays into the Pokemon/Monster Hunter style appeal and well, we know those games are massive in Japan as well.
Dragon Quest is like a cultural event. The mainline ones at least.

Deerock71

And this is part of the problem. not only Nintendo is known for looking for a new gimmick each new generation since at least the Wii, and the hard work that made this success possible was done under the late Satoru Iwata. Will they dare make a Switch 2 with no differenciator at all? Will they try to do another gimmick this time? Will they have a good deal from Nvidia again ? Lot of reasons to be curious about their next console. Like the PS3, they will have to work hard to fail, and I can still see them failing here. The Wii U was in the same situation after all. I hope not, and I am 99% sure that it will be a great success but there is a possibility of it and in their shoes I would be sweating bullets.
Quite literally the stupidest name for a follow-up console of all time.

Woopah

Absoloutely, here's how it did on 3DS:

• Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D - 921,310
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - 811,251
  • Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi - 748,139

Unbelievable

ddSerg9.jpg

Like others have said, the PS5 console sales in Japan have been great. It's the physical software sales that are leaving people scratching their heads. I don't think digital makes up such a large volume of software sales in Japan but that could also vary heavily by platform. For example we know no mobile games show up in the Famitsu or Media Create charts; that doesn't mean they aren't selling tons of digital copies or bringing in tons of revenue in Japan.

PS5 has a way more robust digital presence than the Switch, so maybe it makes digital more inviting. Though it could also realistically be, that since many younger people in Japan are either busy with school or work, and don't have a lot of time to sit down to play games at home, then they may only be playing F2P or very specific GaaS/live-service games on their PS5s in Japan, and spending the rest of their gaming time on Switch, mobile or mobile/portable PCs (like laptops).

Dunno; there just has to be a good explanation for what's going on here with the physical software sales for PS5 in Japan.

Absoloutely, here's how it did on 3DS:

• Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D - 921,310
  • Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - 811,251
  • Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi - 748,139

Dang; were these at launch? If so, they might do 1+ million for the new one at launch in Japan, easily.

Woopah

Like others have said, the PS5 console sales in Japan have been great. It's the physical software sales that are leaving people scratching their heads. I don't think digital makes up such a large volume of software sales in Japan but that could also vary heavily by platform. For example we know no mobile games show up in the Famitsu or Media Create charts; that doesn't mean they aren't selling tons of digital copies or bringing in tons of revenue in Japan.

PS5 has a way more robust digital presence than the Switch, so maybe it makes digital more inviting. Though it could also realistically be, that since many younger people in Japan are either busy with school or work, and don't have a lot of time to sit down to play games at home, then they may only be playing F2P or very specific GaaS/live-service games on their PS5s in Japan, and spending the rest of their gaming time on Switch, mobile or mobile/portable PCs (like laptops).

Dunno; there just has to be a good explanation for what's going on here with the physical software sales for PS5 in Japan.

Dang; were these at launch? If so, they might do 1+ million for the new one at launch in Japan, easily.
No sorry those are lifetime, not launch.

Top Bottom