• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu's new MGSV Ground Zeroes interview with Kojima clears up some details

Furyous

Is Phantom Pain is a full priced release? If so, now I'm MAD just like everyone else.

Hopefully, other publishers look the other way and don't use this model.

I need 45 missions included in this game to justify the purchase because there's a full game coming. For the love of god, please don't let this game be one mission split into 5-10 different parts. I need multiple environments and weather.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Peace Walker base management/recruiting making a comeback is meh

Hopefully the systems will be better designed/less of a grind. It's not on portable anymore so hopefully they ditched the monster hunter influences.

I'd rather it be more like PO than PW

This is like the tanker in Mgs2...for 20 bucks. :(

Didn't people pay more than that for half the tanker mission and ZoE?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Peace Walker base management/recruiting making a comeback is meh

Hopefully the systems will be better designed/less of a grind. It's not on portable anymore so hopefully the ditched the monster hunter influences.

I'd rather it be more like PO than PW

Didn't people pay more than that for half the tanker mission and ZoE?

Oh, if ZoE3 is included, then yeah, I won't complain! But I really doubt that will happen... ;)

Dali

So will the actual full game include gz the same as all the others being one complete package or will the remain separate (until the special all inclusive package is no doubt released months later)?

Sotha_Sil

I was hoping to see $30 bucks for GZ, with a $30 upgrade for PP if you had already bought GZ. Looks like it's going to be $90 for MGSV.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, if ZoE3 is included, then yeah, I won't complain! But I really doubt that will happen... ;)

That's not comparable.

What would be comparable would be packaging a Ground Zeroes demo with some low budget new IP that came out of nowhere that no one would have any prior interest in without the inclusion of the demo, for full price.

I prefer this way. Get all of Ground Zeroes for half price.

So will the actual full game include gz the same as all the others being one complete package or will the remain separate (until the special all inclusive package is no doubt released months later)?

No clue.

My guess would be that GZ will be included in PP, but people who purchased GZ ahead of time will be able to receive some in game bonus or exclusive content for their support. (My second guess would be that GZ's story isn't really all that necessary to play through for PP, and will just be summarized in the full game for people that didn't play it)

I'm just hoping I'll be able to redeem it. I plan on getting GZ on current gen, and PP in next gen.

Protag

Banned
And i wanted to get the limited edition of ground zeroes.

As die hard a fan as i am, im not that die hard.

It REALLY is a demo, just something to whet the appetite.

Will want the limited edition for Phantom Pain though.

And that mention of lots of content *_____* oh god yes

I lovedddd peace walker, so its for sure that im gonna love TPP

iLLmAtlc

Just me or does everybody know what is gonna happen already based on the trailers?
Big Boss is tricked into rescuing Chico while the XOF forces pretend to be government inspectors and invade/destroy Mother Base

I mean it's kinda weird to try and sell this when the "twist" is out there already isn't it?

Dali

Let's be realistic; after Phantom Pain is out, Konami will later on do another release that includes both GZ and PP bundled at full price.
Yeah that's obviously going to be the case if it's not already included up front. The question everyone wants to know is will it be included up front? Konami says the reason for breaking it up is to give fans something to hold them over. So once pp is released it would have served its purpose and there'd be no reason not to include it.

Outside of Japan it's 20 bucks for digital download on current gen, 30 bucks at retail, and 30 bucks on digital only for next-gen (no retail).

In Japan it's 30 bucks for retail on all platforms, and 25 bucks for digital download on all platforms.

So a $30 dollar demo?

Good to know.

Sergiepoo

Fuck yeah! Peace Walker features are in. PW is the most fun I've ever had with a Metal Gear game.

Am I crazy, or is anyone else going to skip Ground Zero and go straight to Phantom Pain?

Dali

Fuck yeah! Peace Walker features are in. PW is the most fun I've ever had with a Metal Gear game.

Am I crazy, or is anyone else going to skip Ground Zero and go straight to Phantom Pain?
You're crazy. People bought ZoE - a 4hr game that I beat three times back to back because I was convinced I'd missed something - at full price for the mgs2 demo. People will buy this, especially since it's going to have a nice box and physical release.

Many won't though... Those are the people most curious as to whether pp will include gz as all the other mgs games have included their prologue.

Batzi

Banned
So where's that guy Batzi who was shitting on people left and right for suggesting that Ground Zeroes was only going to be a tutorial and not a full game?
Do you know the length of the game? NO. Where does it say that a prologue or a tutorial means that it is a short game? Anyone who is calling this Tanker 2.0 is fucking stupid. By tutorial Kojima means that GZ serves as the game that gets us ready for the main game. Tutorial as in getting used to the idea that a gigantic open world is coming. Tutorial does not mean short.

Alienous

MGSV, the real MGSV, taking so long could be alleviated by a moment like this. It would even topple Raiden in terms of videogame suprises.

It's dense, so it's spoiler tagged for those who might want to read it.

As Big Boss, over the course of The Phantom Pain, you build Outer Haven. You recruit its soldiers, purchase and steal its weapons and vehicles. It expands, like Motherbase does. Then you reach the finale of the game and the credits roll ...

Then a mid-credits scene appears. 'Ten years later.' appears in the middle of your screen. Then you're back in the game, outside of your base. But you're a young Solid Snake (voiced by Hayter). Perhaps like the flashback section of MGS4, the game cuts to black when you enter the base, then the rest of the credits play. But I'm just imagining how seeing what you, as Big Boss, have created (with your choices represented i.e. building 'Wing X' of Outer Haven) from that perspective could neatly be a powerful end to the Metal Gear Solid series.

It might not be tear worthy, but I think that could be a strong finale.

- Phantom Pain is the game which will feature the full range of expanded features carried over from Peace Walker - base building, recruiting soldiers, etc. Most of this will not be in Ground Zeroes at all. You will not be able to use the fulton recovery system in Ground Zeroes either, but there are optional captives you can rescue using the helicopter.

Ugh, Peace Walker didn't click with me at all.

Mexen

GZ would have been a lengthy cut scene in TPP if kojima wanted... There's something he won't say, something only those who do buy GZ will experience

Jawmuncher

You're crazy. People bought ZoE - a 4hr game that I beat three times back to back because I was convinced I'd missed something - at full price for the mgs2 demo. People will buy this, especially since it's going to have a nice box and physical release.

Many won't though... Those are the people most curious as to whether pp will include gz as all the other mgs games have included their prologue.

I remember that was my whole reason for getting ZoE back in the day.

SkyOdin

Sounds a lot like Dead Rising 2: Case Zero. Which I have no problem with, since Case Zero was arguably better than the full Dead Rising 2.

BigBoss

Do you know the length of the game? NO. Where does it say that a prologue or a tutorial means that it is a short game? Anyone who is calling this Tanker 2.0 is fucking stupid. By tutorial Kojima means that GZ serves as the game that gets us ready for the main game. Tutorial as in getting used to the idea that a gigantic open world is coming. Tutorial does not mean short.

It's incredible how delusional you really are.

Every time Kojima uses the word "tutorial," people leave out the part right before it. "Serves as." Maybe he didn't say it in this interview, but he has stated this repeatedly. The misinformation surrounding this game is
mind-blowing

Mexen

Every time Kojima uses the word "tutorial," people leave out the part right before it. "Serves as." Maybe he didn't say it in this interview, but he has stated this repeatedly. The misinformation surrounding this game is
mind-blowing

Yeah but it still gives us a wrong impression due to what we have come to know as a Tutorial. How long is your standard tutorial in the genre in question? minutes! I doubt anyone would go through "a 4 hour tutorial". Its a bit misleading to put "serves as a tutorial" and "pay for it" in one context

georly

So basically ground zeroes is MGSV's kickstarter. Pay 30 bucks now for ground zeroes, which will help fund MGSV as well as gather fan feedback of improvements to make. Better this than to have to cut the game short due to funding.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds a lot like Dead Rising 2: Case Zero. Which I have no problem with, since Case Zero was arguably better than the full Dead Rising 2.

Wasn't Case Zero a couple of bucks?

Blader

Except Case Zero was only five bucks.

mind-blowing

Of course it serves as a tutorial, it's a tutorial!

Kojima has also said repeatedly that GZ is only a fraction of the size of TPP. Unless this is to mean that TPP is actually hundreds of hours long, GZ is going to be a very short story experience.

RaikuHebi

Banned
MGSV, the real MGSV, taking so long could be alleviated by a moment like this. It would even topple Raiden in terms of videogame suprises.

It's dense, so it's spoiler tagged for those who might want to read it.

As Big Boss, over the course of The Phantom Pain, you build Outer Haven. You recruit its soldiers, purchase and steal its weapons and vehicles. It expands, like Motherbase does. Then you reach the finale of the game and the credits roll ...

Then a mid-credits scene appears. 'Ten years later.' appears in the middle of your screen. Then you're back in the game, outside of your base. But you're a young Solid Snake (voiced by Hayter). Perhaps like the flashback section of MGS4, the game cuts to black when you enter the base, then the rest of the credits play. But I'm just imagining how seeing what you, as Big Boss, have created (with your choices represented i.e. building 'Wing X' of Outer Haven) from that perspective could neatly be a powerful end to the Metal Gear Solid series.

It might not be tear worthy, but I think that could be a strong finale.
This is what I want except the whole of MG and MG2 in Fox Engine to go with it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm still buying it day-one.

You can't dissuade me even when you are fucking me over in the ass Kojima!

georly

Does any one know?

I don't think anyone does, but if i had to guess, it's probably the same as the full tanker stage in MGS 2, but since it's open world-ish, they'll probably tack on a bunch of arbitrary, non-story missions you can do to extend full playthrough. So like 2 hours story, 6 hours of random missions on alternate playthroughs. (eg, kill these 2 targets and escape. Gather intel from this guy and kill who he tells you then escape. rescue so and so without getting caught and escape.)

So basically ground zeroes is MGSV's kickstarter. Pay 30 bucks now for ground zeroes, which will help fund MGSV as well as gather fan feedback of improvements to make. Better this than to have to cut the game short due to funding.

Nah. It's just a cash-grab.

bengraven

no retail?

RQHphg2.jpg

This is kind of gross.

It's like a Collector's Edition demo.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
If I buy GZ digitally on the PS4 do I get a discount on the full game? Is GZ included in the full game? Does all of MGSV cost 90 fucking bucks?

Betty

Banned
If I buy GZ digitally on the PS4 do I get a discount on the full game?
-There's been no mention of such an offer and it's unlikely to happen.

Is GZ included in the full game?
-Unknown but again unlikely, possibly only in a collectors edition or an updated release sometime after the full game will it be included.

Does all of MGSV cost 90 fucking bucks?
-Technically yes, but Konami are banking on GZ being good enough or content rich enough to be considered a game in it's own right. You'll likely be able to understand The Phantom Pain without playing GZ though.

Dot50Cal

Banned
We're now being charged for demos, fuck off.

I'm a huge MGS nerd and I fully agree with you. Fuck this! Voting with my wallet here, but it almost makes me want to skip out on MGSV entirely (I probably won't), but its that feeling that you "missed" something. It leaves a little chink in my armor of love for the series, maybe enough to not even partake :(

kick51

Banned

i think their funding was secured by MGS 1, 2, 3, and 4 + spin-offs and royalties. Maybe it'll seem like a cash grab still, I'll have to wait to hear how beefy it is, gameplay wise. I'd be happy to drop $30 on like 10 hours of MGS gameplay at launch, but maybe I'll wait for a lower price if it's shorter than that.

Gbraga

So the marketing team is charging $30 for a prologue just so we gamers can get a taste of the game.

thanks obama, you're so nice

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
He meant analogously, a reference to the side-ops/extra missions.

They could definitely be cool but VR missions were whole new mini-levels (with some being quite big actually) and had more focused design. I wouldn't mind it if they fenced off parts of the map for side missions as opposed to Far Cry 3's outpost style sidequests where you can approach from any direction.

They said there will be side missions in addition to the main story.

Hopefully they will be Peace Walker or Substance style instead of western shooter sidequest style.

Top Bottom