• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailers

Not everything is rosy on Sony's side too.

Just saying...

2014 probably would have worked out better for both companies.

I suspected this much, just that everyone is focused on Microsoft.

And just in case the mods are trying to figure out how to handle this thread, May I suggest

R&D_Ejection-Seat-Muchette2.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well whatever problems Sony is facing at the moment are sure to be temporary and not as big as MS's.

If I had something bad to say I would. I ask for bad things and never get anything solid because there is hardly anything bad to say.

Games in dev are behaving like games in dev though. There has been crashes in PS4 games but that's why these games get made and the kinks get ironed out. The difference is making these games but for a new launch system in PS4 and having the learning curve applied due to new HW.

WoolyNinja

Even if the XboxOne works fine at launch, it boggles my mind that it sounds like they went from a centralized "OS controlled Live (chat/party/etc)" to an API based "each game controls live features (chat/party/etc)"

Yagharek

All this uncertainty over online functionality being ready makes me wonder how bad it might have been if the drm system originally announced had remained.

It could have been incredibly ugly.

graboids

everyday I feel more confident in my plan to skip next gen at launch, see where these things are in 2014... XBL party chat is the only reason I play online... And why I never played online on PS3... If it's not at least as good as it is now on 360 then it's a huge deal to me, until it's fixed.

“Let me get into some technical detail regarding it – on 360, the OS handles all of the party and chat functionality. All you do is hook up the XBL VOiP OS API into your game, and it does most of the work for you. With it results in is a shared experience across multiple entertainment. If you’re watching movies or playing games, you can do it together. However, this system is entirely different on Xbox One. So, lets say me, you, and Thuway have xbox one’s that are online. We are signed in our profiles. Sitting at the home screen, we are considered to be in a “Xbox Party” on the server. There are no more ‘party leaders’. With that said if any one of us decide to start a game, the party is shifted over to that game’s party system. Each game now has their custom written VOIP.”

Why the fuck would you try to re-invent something that already works really, really well, and has been for the past eight years?

Afrodium

Banned
People are vastly underestimating how important this could end up being. Most people won't notice if CoD is in 720p or 1080p, they will notice that the Xbox Live experience that they pay for has gotten significantly worse than it was on the 360.

Live is pretty much the only thing the Xbox One had going for it, and now that may be gone too.

This seems to be indicative larger issues with the console as a result of it being designed by executives who don't understand gamers. Why they didn't just copy the functionality of Live from the 360 I do not know.

Alchemy

People harping on 'well what about the PS4's OS?!', is anyone really buying the PS4 because of OS features? I'm buying one because its cheaper than an Xbone, more powerful, and Sony has better first party developers and supports consoles even into their twilight while Microsoft ditches theirs instantly as they transition to their next gen strategies (see the original Xbox and 360 the last couple of years).

The only thing the Xbone supposedly had over the PS4 was the OS and Xbox Live having a proven history over PSN. Even if both OS's are equally broken, Microsoft is left with nothing over the PS4.

I wouldn't panic because there's nothing to panic over right now on PS4 side.

There is a plan in place and I don't know any kind of deadlines but the PSN going up for PS4 is part of that plan but some might see it as Sony being behind.

The PS4 and Xbone aren't out yet. Things like this are being worked on.

If I had something bad to say I would. I ask for bad things and never get anything solid because there is hardly anything bad to say.

Games in dev are behaving like games in dev though. There has been crashes in PS4 games but that's why these games get made and the kinks get ironed out. The difference is making these games but for a new launch system in PS4 and having the learning curve applied due to new HW.

pre-order not cancelled >_>

Completely agreed on the numbers thing. Everyone's so swept away in the sensationalism and keen to confirm their own bias.

Post upon post, .gif after .gif confirming a whole lot of nothing, maybe, probably.

neptunes

Come to think of it, have we seen either OS in extensive detail? (eg. not stage demos or PR released footage)

Like full XBL and PSN integration.

TheTwelve

Ben Kuchera: "Seriously, if you don't think both systems have teams crunching to fix a million things... You don't need SUPA SEKRIT SOURCES for that." (via Twitter)

Yep, just like he said we were all crazy to believe the PS4 wouldn't have Microsoft style DRM.

_woLf

The non-unified VOIP API thing makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.

Why the fuck did Microsoft buy Skype if they weren't going to incorporate it to XBL's VOIP?

Someday we will all look back on these "launch" threads and laugh.. CBoAT... Mortimer.. Twitter feuds..

This is the stuff of legend.

Funny how no big names have actually denied this though.

I mean it's not their place to answer every rumour, but it would be in their best interest. Not just talking about this rumour on it a own either.

danwarb

So what happens if this turns out to be more anonymous FUD?

Assuming this is true, im pretty sure MS is going to make sure they have it fixed before launch (big day 1 patch?). Their workers will be on crunch time

Yep. I imagine changing things up after the DD reversal caused some headaches. Still, MS's main strength is their online service. They likely know what they're doing.

xelloss12

People harping on 'well what about the PS4's OS?!', is anyone really buying the PS4 because of OS features? I'm buying one because its cheaper than an Xbone, more powerful, and Sony has better first party developers and supports consoles even into their twilight while Microsoft ditches theirs instantly as they transition to their next gen strategies (see the original Xbox and 360 the last couple of years).

The only thing the Xbone supposedly had over the PS4 was the OS and Xbox Live having a proven history over PSN. Even if both OS's are equally broken, Microsoft is left with nothing over the PS4.

I certainly am. Vita remote play and suspend are features that I would love to use.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ltls.jpg

I guess I started it, but he's gained ~50 followers in an hour from his Twitter breakdown. I thought it was fair.

Holy shit, I don't know who this guy is, and I'm not typically a fan of violence, but that's rage-inducing. How can someone who looks like that have that attitude? Weird.

Azull

Stay tuned.

You're one of the only guys that I am happy that posts on GAF just because of some your articles and you're actually willing to have a civil conversation with us. So thank you J.

Edit: Also, holy shit the Day one patch is 2GB!? I thought it was at max a 1GB? Good God.

KaYotiX

Banned
Even if the XboxOne works fine at launch, it boggles my mind that it sounds like they went from a centralized "OS controlled Live (chat/party/etc)" to an API based "each game controls live features (chat/party/etc)"

Yeah.....im still excited for Xbox One though. I think about 2 other friends are buying a Xbox One at launch so the party chat isn't a big deal for me personally but it still sucks.

As long as I can play online just fine ill be happy.

nib95

Banned
Ben Kuchera: "Seriously, if you don't think both systems have teams crunching to fix a million things... You don't need SUPA SEKRIT SOURCES for that." (via Twitter)

Yep, just like he said we were all crazy to believe the PS4 wouldn't have Microsoft style DRM.

Did he actually say that? Was/is he really also a Sony Too!™ member?

Xbox Live is the heart and soul of the Xbox brand. If that doesn't work as it should, then I really don't know what's left for the name

Oh, and I've been 360 only during the entire gen, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom