• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how no big names have actually denied this though.

I mean it's not their place to answer every rumour, but it would be in their best interest. Not just talking about this rumour on it a own either.

It's safer for them to not say shit since they can fix it before release and it's a non issue.

Tabris

It sounds like Microsoft and Sony have swapped places here.

PS3 was designed by hardware engineers with a lot of feedback coming from outside gaming division (entertainment), while you can tell the 360 was designed by gamers / software developers. The decisions made at launch hampered what the PS3 was able to do once they started re-designing the approach. PS4 seems to be designed by gamers / software developers first and foremost.

Ken Kutaragi doomed the PS3 with his decisions. Who is the Kutaragi at Microsoft that's responsible for this? Also hopefully the decisions made today won't limit what they can do in the future once they evolve the OS / network services (hopefully to be more gamer focused).

Note - I have not been keeping up with the news as much, so forgive my ignorance if you don't think this is the case.

Bsigg12

The non-unified VOIP servers thing makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.

Why the fuck did Microsoft buy Skype if they weren't going to incorporate it to XBL's VOIP?

I've been thinking that over. I feel like there may be something wrong about that from Mort's source. If they are using a Skype base, then there must be something else going on with it. I have no idea though.

Quasar

If I had something bad to say I would. I ask for bad things and never get anything solid because there is hardly anything bad to say.

Games in dev are behaving like games in dev though. There has been crashes in PS4 games but that's why these games get made and the kinks get ironed out. The difference is making these games but for a new launch system in PS4 and having the learning curve applied due to new HW.

Well given Sonys history I really have doubts they deliver on the backend network part. Of course I guess we wont know till that actually launches. A few devs doing network testing probably would tell us enough.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
SONY problem ladies and gentlemen...
money.gif

Mo' money more problems.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
3 OS system, Kinect integration, Smartglass, etc. Its a diff. ball game.

There isn't really 3 OSes. Not really.

Think of it as 2 separate instances of an PS designed to run separate code in protected environments and the 3rd is a communications layer that talks between them.

People are overblowing the complexity of it... not even close to as complex as say windows.

Kydd BlaZe

Every day it's something new... I have to wonder if MS was really planning on launching this year or if Sony forced their hand early
The problem was that they spent so much time and so many resources to all of the DRM shit they attempted to establish. Now that they have scrapped those policies I'd wager that they are rewriting a bunch of code in order to play catch up. Things probably aren't going as smooth as they would've hoped, and their OS just isn't anywhere near ready for launch, as a result.

Just a hunch...I suppose.

Still thinking about buying an Xbox One at launch though. Can't wait for Dead Rising and Ryse.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Instead of being insulting, why not strengthen your argument or perspective? Why are you in this thread if you're just whining and not really saying anything?

Come on.

He's gotta defend the throne

Bingo. Rebut the posts and insider tidbits Mortimer and co posted with actual facts, knowledge and/or technical explanations, or don't bother. All his posts in this thread are of the same pedigree. Damage control. Not surprising giving his latest admission he was a TeamXbox/MSXbox employee....

No.

Maybe all of you need to go back to the OP and read the blog post a 3rd time to get past your Sony blinders. This type of mentality of ganging up on a poster replying to someone seemingly purposefully spreading misinformation is ridiculous and should not be allowed.

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

He then said “If all you are doing is running a game and that’s the only app things are fine.”

This issues are with online UI features, not online gameplay stuff, from the info in the OP.

I only read the first few pages so maybe this has been asked. Could these problems have to do with the number of OS' running on the Xbone? Didn't MS say the system has 3 different OS to handle different tasks? Maybe they aren't integrating well.

If I had something bad to say I would. I ask for bad things and never get anything solid because there is hardly anything bad to say.

Games in dev are behaving like games in dev though. There has been crashes in PS4 games but that's why these games get made and the kinks get ironed out. The difference is making these games but for a new launch system in PS4 and having the learning curve applied due to new HW.

Nice. Thanks for elaborating.

CSX

Yep. I imagine changing things up after the DD reversal caused some headaches. Still, MS's main strength is their online service. They likely know what they're doing.

And if they fixed these problems before launch, this thread will be seen as FUD but no one will ever know the truth till the book "Behind the Xbox 1" 3 years later lol

Samyy

I only read the first few pages so maybe this has been asked. Could these problems have to do with the number of OS' running on the Xbone? Didn't MS say the system has 3 different OS to handle different tasks? Maybe they aren't integrating well.

I think thats one thing to consider, these devices are a lot more complicated.

Mahonay

Banned

This seems very probable. Others are pointing to this as part of the issue here.

Bsigg12

It sounds like Microsoft and Sony have swapped places here.

PS3 was designed by hardware engineers with a lot of feedback coming from outside gaming division (entertainment), while you can tell the 360 was designed by gamers. The decisions made at launch hampered what the PS3 was able to do once they started re-designing the approach. PS4 seems to be designed by gamers first and foremost.

Ken Kutaragi doomed the PS3 with his decisions. Who is the Kutaragi at Microsoft that's responsible for this?

Suits? From the sounds of it, a lot of the decisions for the Xbox One were from higher up that were probably looking at margins.

Probably the last thing MS needs with COD and BF coming out first.

If PSN is even as good as Live was this gen then Sony is going to be locking things up early.

what a mess :/

the days keep getting shorter and shorter, this thing is out in just a month and all this is happening

major nelson hasn't commented since that welcome major nelson thread I think. I'd feel safer about my pre order if we get answers

Fixed1979

Bingo. Rebut the posts and insider tidbits Mortimer and co posted with actual facts, knowledge and/or technical explanations, or don't bother. All his posts in this thread are of the same pedigree. Damage control. Not surprising giving his latest admission he was a TeamXbox/MSXbox employee....

..and worst of all Leafs fan.

As somebody with both consoles on preorder I'm actually taking this as good news for the Xbox One. Software / network issues can be patched. With Microsoft's history with hardware failures I was much more concerned about having a repeat of the rrod nightmare. Even a hint of that this time around would be enough for me to cancel my preorder. We're increasingly seeing major products released with incomplete/buggy software. Apple just sold 15 odd million iPhone 5s with uncalibrated accelerometers. These things happen and are acceptable given the complexity and level of functionality we want from our devices. Whether by launch or by next year these things will be patched out. If you want something that works perfectly as promised in the advertising you do not buy a launch day product be it a car, a phone or a games console.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The thread is going faster than I can read it... Yay. I'm going to enjoy being a part of history in a couple of weeks. I think I'm claiming this one the official start of the snowball. Well, it started with Driveclub, actually.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nice. Thanks for elaborating.

I say that in a broad sense though.

I'm not aware of little issues which devs get a hold of the platform holders and iron out. I'm talking about issues that affect me and you and how devs make these games. How easy or harder certain things before because of HW complexity or lack of SW maturity.

In short, I'm not in the offices listening to everything but I'm sure there has been some issues with PS4 but it seems to be standard fare for now.

nib95

Banned

Damn, I didn't realise he wrote that article. Annoyed me when reading it at the time. So the guy is just generally full of shit then. Hilarious reading it over given everything that has transpired since.

As somebody with both consoles on preorder I'm actually taking this as good news for the Xbox One.

I lol'd.

Mr. X

Lmao at this rushing to get something out the door on both ends. Being out ASAP is better than functioning features and quality assurance I guess.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Kevin Dent reminds me of Albert Rosenfield from Twin Peaks, but less funny. An arrogant prick, basically.

Even though some megatons might be dropped in here I got to pack it in.... Can't afford to waste another night and be dreadfully tired while doing Math stuff tomorrow.... See yah GAF stay strong

kevlar35

Banned
With all the hype in the lead up to Mortimer's post I was expecting something much, much bigger.

I think next time it might be a good idea to just post the info without all the 'look at me' teasing beforehand.

Christ. I leave GAF for a few hours to keep watching Breaking Bad (I'm only on season 3) and there's another atomic explosion. You know, I was going to clean my apartment the other day, but spent the better part of 12 hours on GAF.

Also, I apologize. Kuchera (sic?) must lurk or something, because I gave him the easiest softball talking point in the other thread about unnamed sources.

It's crazy that GAF is really the only source I trust at this point. Jason seems like a good guy, so maybe he'll have our backs.

It doesn't just seem like there's smoke here. It's seems like a giant ass forest fire.

So what happens if this turns out to be more anonymous FUD?

Yep. I imagine changing things up after the DD reversal caused some headaches. Still, MS's main strength is their online service. They likely know what they're doing.

The people who designed Xbox Live aren't there anymore. I dunno why people expect MS to still be king at that.

cripterion

The past few weeks on gaming sites and forums have been incredibly unejoyable. Everything being a "megaton" news story is so tiring. The reactions are almost always made before knowing the full story (read: the truth) and almost always completely ridiculous. People spend too much time on this forum and not enough time gaming.

Sadly, I'm quite guilty of this :(

Is it true that Microsoft is renaming Xbox LIVE as Xbox DEAD?

0/10

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
yep. jeff downplaying his original post doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't know anything. he could just have thought better and edited to cover his ass more.

we won't know either way. general public won't care too much about this or 720p-gate but there are more and more rumors leading up to launch that may or may not sway us. i know more than a few of us have both consoles still pre-ordered.

No, he's been saying both systems are being extremely rushed and coming in blazing hot for the last 3 months. Only thing he added was that Xbox One hasn't been available for demo, which is already pretty public information. He's just saying that a broken OS at this point in time isn't anything you wouldn't have been able to deduce without a leak.

The only thing that's not confirmed by Jeff's statement is whether it will take weeks or months to fix, which Mort says months, but that could easily be wrong because insider or not, time frame predictions can be a matter of opinion.

ViciousDS

Banned
With all the hype in the lead up to Mortimer's post I was expecting something much, much bigger.

I think next time it might be a good idea to just post the info without all the 'look at me' teasing beforehand.

um, this is pretty big news dude.....because Xbox Live is considered the king of sub services atm.....right Xbox One is looking to have a service similar to PS3 at launch

how is that not huge news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom