• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acheteedo

Sadly not at all surprising, the OS's on the 360 and PS3 were bare-bones affairs when they launched, the features we have now were built up over years of small updates. Now the XB1 and PS4 each have many more features, each OS has been rebuilt from the ground up, and it's all supposed to work from day one? Not a chance. This is complicated stuff with a really harsh deadline. The only surprising thing about this is that we haven't heard similar from Sony, which is doubly surprising given their history with the PS3's OS. Either they've hired a team of savants or we just haven't heard about the potential launch problems yet. Either way I'm not holding my breath for a smooth experience on either console, and will be super impressed if either one manages it.

Ark

If this is true, MS should delay the launch. I can't imagine millions of XB1 having trouble for months, that would hurt the Xbox brand in an inimaginable way.

If they delay the launch now, they'll have millions of XB1's just sat in warehouses for months while their software guys are crunching to get these issues fixed as soon as possible. It makes more sense for them to go ahead with the launch at this point and fix the issues on-the-go.

They're in too deep to turn back now. When this generation is in full swing, none of this will matter.

Sadly not at all surprising, the OS's on the 360 and PS3 were bare-bones affairs when they launched, the features we have now were built up over years of small updates. Now the XB1 and PS4 each have many more features, each OS has been rebuilt from the ground up, and it's all supposed to work from day one? Not a chance. This is complicated stuff with a really harsh deadline. The only surprising thing about this is that we haven't heard similar from Sony, which is doubly surprising given their history with the PS3's OS. Either they've hired a team of savants or we just haven't heard about the potential launch problems yet. Either way I'm not holding my breath for a smooth experience on either console, and will be super impressed if either one manages it.

Sony seems a lot more prepared, so I'm confident that Verendus is right when he says the PS4 is just experiencing normal launch-day device 'teething problems'.

Into

If this is true, MS should delay the launch. I can't imagine millions of XB1 having trouble for months, that would hurt the Xbox brand in an inimaginable way.

Absolutely, but i think they want to weather the storm and do not want to give Sony a inch let alone several months.

In the short term, its a good idea, they will sell their initial shipments and all will seem rosy. In the long run however, it could seriously damage their brand. Word spreads around faster than ever these days, due to social media and general negativity towards the Xbox One.

Imagine if they did delay it, how pissed off third parties would be? They are going all in here, hoping it all turns out well, i certainly hope so, because there are good people working there who are not responsible for most of problems surrounding this console, yet they are the ones who have to carry the burden

Chinner

Banned
so does this mean i could troll peopl on xbox one? for example, they are watching nfl or some kind of game involving balls, i then join their party and because there are no party leaders i make everyone join my little pony: friendship is american? then i culd force everyone to watch nickelodeon.

Shrewder

Neo Member
I wonder how much the leaders of the Xbox One project hate the internet right now. On a scale of 1-10; there must be some real anger there. Someone keeps leaking things about them in a language he created himself, there have been campaigns against them, and then others leak negative news here and there which is like doing The People's Elbow for added humiliation after having already given them The Rock Bottom.

Honestly, this is what I want to happen next.

Xbox One launches and there are no problems. There are the general launch issues that are to be expected, but nothing catastrophic or major. The folks who pick up the console are able to enjoy it fine, and after a few weeks, everyone looks back all this craziness with a softer heart.

It'd be like Rocky Balboa. A true underdog story.

None of the above benefits me any way, quite the opposite, but it'd be nice to see. There is far too much negativity these past few months.

Edit:

I take that back after a few seconds of thought. We must go full tragedy. It will make a better story in the long-term.

This could certainly explain, as I stated in an previous post, why members of the Xbox team may not answers such critical questions directly. The approach could be to wait until the product and services are launched and let that do the talking. If things are more serious than simply crunching to hit functionality on launch date, not counting minor issues, it could be a gamble that backfires in the short term. But,...We'll find out soon. :)

He's definitely one to trust from what I know of his stint at eurogamer.

Rab needs MUCH more respect here at NeoGAF. He was half of Consolevania / Videogaiden - absolutely the funniest videogame television show / webshow ever made by a zillion miles. He's never pretended to be super well connected but he also never bullshits.

Oof, Rab's definitely one of the good ones. This is getting messy.

Yeap, that's what I think too. Rab's a dude of immense integrity, he wouldn't say shit like this without any basis.

Unless if he's reading neoGAF and just trolling us :p (but I doubt it)

Ashes

Banned

Beta tested in the future.

StuBurns

Banned
I believe the rumor, because it comes from a good source, but I really struggle to accept Microsoft would let this happen.

They're going to get obliterated if it's months till all the Live stuff is flawless. Delaying the system is so less damaging I can't imagine they'd push forward.

Kalm

Damn, there's a fresh bad news thread every time I check in before bed. Ah well, I'd rather know than not know so thanks, 'mort.

The worst part is that the X1 is the only console I've ever preordered -- aside from the Dreamcast. At this point, I'm fairly certain that I'm just gypsy-cursing it for the rest of you guys. Sorry. :X

I really need sleep but I don't want to miss anything so I'm going to need all of GAF to go to bed in 3...2...1...

Pezking

In the short term, its a good idea, they will sell their initial shipments and all will seem rosy. In the long run however, it could seriously damage their brand.

The RROD should have already done that, but it didn't.

Maybe they're right at assuming they can weather this storm as well.

In the UK, you'd struggle at any store, My personal experiences are:

GAME: It took me 3 hours to return a faulty xb360. that's faulty the day after I purchased it(it was RROD on first boot as pre owned system)

But also Toysrus didn't give a shit returning a PS2 because I had 2 bought at presents and just returned it.

I know CeX have a terrible policy too regarding returns.

the problem is, the xbox one if it had an unstable OS, may not be classed as not working, it's just missing features, some companies are very difficult to get your money back from.
In my plentiful experiences, John Lewis will exchange or refund anything pretty much instantly in-store. Amazon is ridiculously easy too, it's all automated online.

This could certainly explain, as I stated in an previous post, why members of the Xbox team may not answers such critical questions directly. The approach could be to wait until the product and services are launched and let that do the talking. If things are more serious than simply crunching to hit functionality on launch date, not counting minor issues, it could be a gamble that backfires in the short term. But,...We'll find out soon. :)

Honestly I keep holding out the notion that one of the rumors/leaks we pass on gaf about the XB1 [COD being 720p etc.] will turn out false and MS are just trying to teach us a hard lesson

then I realize MS like money and if they could confirm that damaging rumors were false they would. So I don't know what to make of it to be honest

What no obligatory link to my thread summary yet on this page? Gotta fix that

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87786946#post87786946

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
So was it a long con? Did I get inside info on all of that shit so I could screw everyone at the very last second? I would almost believe that if it wasn't sony. They aren't that competent. I actually offered myself, sexually(not sexually), to Adam Boyes early last summer and he said "You aren't qualified."

also:

what does the bolded even mean?
(i'm gonna chalk up part of this stuff up to you maybe being drunk as you said)

I LOL'd but I believe he meant "services". I actually offered myself, services(not sexually), to Adam Boyes early last summer and he said "You aren't qualified."

But it isn't day one yet?

They get the benefit of the doubt for the same reason Sony get the benefit of the doubt on having the best first party games next gen - past history.

If however This isn't working at launch or soon after then MS deserve all they will get for it because as you said we're paying extra for it

Why is it surprising? Sony's promises for launch are certainly deliverable, the pie in the sky stuff they've promised like Gaikai have been mentioned to be post-launch from the beginning. I guess that's the benefit of being open and honest

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wow, the pieces are all falling together if he isn't referring to morts blog. This next couple of weeks are gonna be insane.

Considering this is a possibility, I just asked him on Twitter. Hopefully, he'll answer soon.

Not as long as you (a) want to provide a low-level "GameOS" for games as well as (b) a full-blown Windows 8 environment for WinRT applications at the same time.

Why not ? It could be done if you write the entire OS to do so.
Hypervisor is a shortcut, but a shortcut with a lot of cons.

Marlenus

In the UK, you'd struggle at any store, My personal experiences are:

GAME: It took me 3 hours to return a faulty xb360. that's faulty the day after I purchased it(it was RROD on first boot as pre owned system)

But also Toysrus didn't give a shit returning a PS2 because I had 2 bought at presents and just returned it.

I know CeX have a terrible policy too regarding returns.

the problem is, the xbox one if it had an unstable OS, may not be classed as not working, it's just missing features, some companies are very difficult to get your money back from.

Wall of text incoming. Starts a bit OT but does come back to the Xbox one and the OS issues.

Under the sale of goods act 1979 there is no way it should have taken you 3 hours to return a duff console, especially one that died as soon as you got it home. It applies to second hand goods as well as new goods and the criteria are:
1) As described
2) Of satisfactory quality
3) Fit for purpose

Now the sale of goods act can apply to goods for years after you purchase them. In general you have 4 weeks to reject faulty goods out of hand and get a full refund and you have the expected lifespan of the device to demand a repair/replacement. For something like a console I would expect a 5 year time frame to be quite valid as laptops/tvs/cameras/phones etc routinely last 5+years without fault.

In the case of the RROD I would consider that to fall foul of the sale of goods act since it is a manufacturing issue and anybody who purchased a 360 in the UK who had a RROD and could not get MS to sort it out free of charge should have gone to the shop they purchased it from and gotten them to do it. Depending on how long ago you had that issue with Game I would strongly recommend making a complaint to their head office as well as to the office of fair trading.

If these issues on the xbox one end up being true come launch, and the device is described by the sale person/information leaflets/on box information as having features that are missing at launch then it fails criteria 1 of the sale of goods act and you can get a full refund. The online stuff, if true is going to be harder to sort out though because it is possible to claim it is an issue with your internet connection and not the console/software itself. If you can show that it is not your internet connection though then online issues as described in the rumour should probably fall under the fit for purpose clause of the sale of goods act.

On top of this anybody who purchases the console on the internet also has the safety of the distance selling regulations meaning that you have a right to cancel an order from the moment it is placed until 7 working days after you receive it. This does not apply to the games unless they are still factory sealed.

So, if you live in the UK and you want an Xbox One but on arrival it turns out the online stuff is woeful and you cant stand 720p images then you can cancel your pre order after you receive the console. Any games you open and play though will have to be sold on as 2nd hand goods but any games you did not open can also be returned.

Cliffs:
1) Skeff should not have spent 3 hours returning a faulty console as the Sale of Goods Act protects him from this.
2) The 360 RROD was probably a Sale of Goods issue so everybody in the UK, if they exersiced their rights, should have had a repair/replacement free of charge
3) If the Xbox One functionality differs from descriptions given by leaflets/sales people/on the box then it falls foul of the Sale of Goods act and you can get a refund.
4) Online orders have more protection so you can cancel your pre order after you receive the console if these rumours end up being true. This only applies to games that remain unopened though.

Why is it surprising? Sony's promises for launch are certainly deliverable, the pie in the sky stuff they've promised like Gaikai have been mentioned to be post-launch from the beginning. I guess that's the benefit of being open and honest

Yeah Sony's OS promises are far less ambitious although disappointing to hear about the suspend/resume being delayed

And I like that they haven't been too crazy about gaikai yet. I need to see the receipts on that before I believe it

viveks86

Honestly I keep holding out the notion that one of the rumors/leaks we pass on gaf about the XB1 [COD being 720p etc.] will turn out false and MS are just trying to teach us a hard lesson

then I realize MS like money and if they could confirm that damaging rumors were false they would. So I don't know what to make of it to be honest

What no obligatory link to my thread summary yet on this page? Gotta fix that

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87786946#post87786946

Now this is plain ol' shameless self promotion! :p

Into

Id say more than a billion dollars is a hell of a cost to pay:

Xbox 360 'red ring of death' costs Microsoft more than $1B
http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ed_ring_of_death_costs_Microsoft_more_than_1B

The price of a fault OS and Live that does not function well for weeks or even months would cost them in mindshare, people are already very negative towards their console. Any bad news is magnified by several times.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
How about that Xbox One launch... :/

Well, MS will fix these issues but you really have to wonder what is going on at MS and the whole project management process regarding Xbox.

I mean, MS should excel in software/network architecture against its competitors in the videogames biz but somehow, stuff have not really been working out.
It is not as if this is their first console either.. and it is a bit strange that the OG Xbox preparation was the one that went "the smoothest" in all senses, compaired to 360 and Xbox One. Sure, OG Xbox was an easier release from different technical standpoints, it was a pure gaming machine with non of the extra blizz blazz... but MS should have learned how to scale this process, especially after Xbox 360.

One thing that is somehow sad and somehow tipical of MS is that.. they for some reason don´t release a "perfect product", always have a caveat of some sort.. only the OG Xbox got it right from the start.. (except EU price).

360 had RROD issues, the Surface RT is just sad without proper x86 support, the surface pro 2 is good but why no built in 3G/4G connectivity.. and now Xbox One..

So it seems that MS should look into persons who are handling the XBox overview and why it has not been working together properly.. something has not connected between the hardware and software guys.. which is strange..

Okay? Skeff quoted Mort's blog, not Proelite..?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to let everyone see what's being said

I am also very very tired at this point

So I apologize if I come off rude

Given the choice between

720p COD

and

Xbox One OS that crashes / hangs once per user session. Flaky ass multi-player.

I think 720p COD is the lesser of the two evils.

I am saying 720p would be a mere annoyance compared to frequent crashes and broken Live matchmaking.

But proelite mentions might be wrinkled out for launch

There could be a ton of bugs in the OS and in the multi-player framework that causes a really bad user experience all around. They have one month remaining so we'll see.

Threw in this if you care

Nothing truly confirmed yet I suppose but pretty heavily leaning one way

Verendus

Banned
And more importantly, a better GAF thread.
Exactly.

We need the final chapter. What is GAF going to do? There will be no more carnival. It'll all be over. We need the tragic ending. It's more memorable that way. If after everything that's happened, Xbox One just chugs along, it'll be like no third act. You can't have a movie with just act one and act two. It's wrong.

Launches are hard. We had the Wii u launch last year. This is the way of things. Steam's beta period was kinda bad too.
My genuine opinion, on this thread, and many other 'news' threads about resolution issues and so forth is that they're pretty stupid. The news is fine, but how it's handled is pretty crazy. The reactions of posters to it all where it devolves at times to back and forth insults, insiders getting overly serious about leaking gaming news, PR people getting involved and then being roasted, it's just crazy. It's hilarious, but I do cringe at times.

I hope the MS folk learnt a valuable lesson from all of this. Don't step foot into the fire.

Ark

There were other factors surrounding the RROD though. Most everyone already had a 360; the 360 had far more games than the PS3; the 360 wasn't anywhere near as expensive as the PS3; the 360 released over a year earlier than the PS3.

This time they're launching side-by-side, the PS4 is cheaper and they both have a similar amount of quality-looking games.

I actually agree with this. a March 2014 launch would have been much better for the Xbone. but I'm pretty sure they have contracts with publishers they have to fulfill.

cebri.one

what, there's like a month to fix software problems

I haven't read a single post in this thread yet (I will read every single one, eventually... trust me). But I'm getting a ton of tweets and I'm sure you guys have questions and I'm still talking to my contact and I wanted to share this exchange.

Him: I can explain why this would be a challenge to fix, if you need some clarification.

Me: Yes, please!

Him: Alright, the problem stems from the fact that it's both launching on the 22nd, and each team has had to write their system to write their party system to handle party hand-offs from the OS side. So if you change the way the way the system handles matchmaking or parties or voice chat in parties or voice chat in games, you run the risk of breaking every released game's individual API, because you have to account for how each individual game's XBL functionality is written. However, the way it is now is a huge cluster mess of probs.

So, in a weird way, they can't fix it on the OS side. What you could do is you could write an all encompassing XBL-API and hand it to each dev. But then you'd have to make that the standard, the OS side would have to be patched to recognize only api handshakes from the game to the OS with that particular code. Meaning some games would still end up breaking, but it'd be fewer. And it'd be more future proof.

No word on what MS is going to do about it though, and with the trouble they are having pushing online clients to Thunderhead to begin with.

They have bigger fish to fry if they want their next 6-months of titles to launch on time.

Well, it may be not enough time.

Good, good. As I was writing I got on twitter and sent people at my wife's account. The trolls gave her a hard time and one called her a tranny.

She said, laughing "I just got called a tranny!"

I said, also laughing "How did he know?"

She said "I think I posted a dick pic"

And then we laughed. It was funny. I know that things are super serious in this industry and even that back and forth probably offends some people... but that's how we talk. The 12 people who listen to my podcast can back that up, as I do one with my wife every month (or 6 months, depending...).

My night thus far has been this:

Ate food

Poured a glass of wine and sat down to watch the world series (I'm a lifelong red sox fan).

Got a (message of some sort) in the first inning with incredible info.

Spent the next several innings (yes, innings are the length of time now) talking to this person. Another person. A third person... and then tracking two other people down.

Got mad when St Louis scored.

Got excited when Boston tied it up.

Got my first partial verification that this info was right.

Got info from two others almost simultaneously that it was right.

Gomes slaps a home run that makes me go apeshit.

I'm feeling bad that it's taking so long to write up what ends up being a gramatical nightmare anyway that I point people at my wife because she's the funniest person I know.

She is laughing hysterically as she tells me what people are writing to her.

Shemale thing (we both laugh).

I finally decide that it's done. Oh I forgot to mention, the entire time I was writing it here - in a gaf box - waiting for Bish to tell me it was ok to post. He never did. So I moved it to my blog. I know this red flags! HE WANTS CLICKS! Look up the site, it's wordpress, I don't make a dime. In fact I pay many dimes every year.

I post it.

Mik (mormonrage... or Mike on the Player One Podcast) finds every gramatical error in 2 seconds and tweets them at me.

Twitter/email/gchat/etc go nuts.

I respond to things as best I can, it's really, really fast.

It approaches midnight and today (monday) is my wife's birthday.

We go and do birthday things for a few hours.

I come back and talk to friends, try to respond to tweets... the red sox already won. Everything is awesome.

I keep responding to stuff. I find it fun. Someone is fucking mad as fuck... don't mind, like to give what info I have. Someone is thanking me... I thank them back. Someone is excited I ripped MS a new one... i remind them that Sony fucks up... a lot.

Then, at some point, I made a post here... and I think a tweet that made people think I was suicidal or something. I kept getting messages saying I needed to relax.

It made no sense... tonight has been an obscenely good night and I'm fucking off from work tomorrow!

It kept happening!

I wrote a long thing and a friend made me feel like it would seem desperate so I erased it.

He was wrong.

I wrote this and formatted it just like kevin dent's post the other night.

TL;DR I've been nothing but happy for a long time. Also, my wife is fucking awesome. Don't believe me? Listen to this.

My wife is rooting for Boston big time. Her friend bought her another Sox cap when they knocked out Detroit.

Keep up the good work man!

le.phat

If this is true, you have to really feel for the OS engineers right now. Crunching to an immovable deadline you don't think you can make is a dangerous cocktail of stress and dread. It pushes you to your breaking point.

First thing that crosses my mind. epecially te windows team, that just came from a behemoth of a deadline in the form of the win8 launch, only to get caught up in the clusterfuck known as xbox one. I hope that when the console is finally launched, micosoft will roll out the xboat one more time abd send all of its programmers on a long ass cruise.

StuBurns

Banned
The RROD was different because although MS obviously knew it was going to happen, they could just lie and pretend they had no idea, they can't pretend they don't know the OS is borked, if it is.

My genuine opinion, on this thread, and many other 'news' threads about resolution issues and so forth is that they're pretty stupid. The news is fine, but how it's handled is pretty crazy. The reactions of posters to it all where it devolves at times to back and forth insults, insiders getting overly serious about leaking gaming news, PR people getting involved and then being roasted, it's just crazy. It's hilarious, but I do cringe at times.
Seriously...

LCfiner

Man, I woke up and this whole thread is huge.

Seems to me like the biggest risk for MS is the bit from famousmortimer’s source who says the multiplayer connectivity issue not weeks away from getting fixed but months.

that’s sort of the key, isn’t it? If that estimate is accurate and Xbone has severe connectivity issues all the way through Xmas and into early 2014, it would be pretty awful and could potentially damage the reputation of the system for a long time - even for people who aren’t as plugged into the gaming news.

buuuut, if that estimate is overly pessimistic and the issues get fixed up over the next month, then perhaps it’s a bad launch week, but online game connections are good to go before Xmas. Certainly it would still be bad news if it was broken for launch week but a system can recover from a wonky launch.

Exactly.

We need the final chapter. What is GAF going to do? There will be no more carnival. It'll all be over. We need the tragic ending. It's more memorable that way..

Yep need that final chapter otherwise how do I sell my cover to cover novel detailing the underdog story of the Xbox One?

My genuine opinion, on this thread, and many other 'news' threads about resolution issues and so forth is that they're pretty stupid. The news is fine, but how it's handled is pretty crazy. The reactions of posters to it all where it devolves at times to back and forth insults, insiders getting overly serious about leaking gaming news, PR people getting involved and then being roasted, it's just crazy.

I hope the MS folk learnt a valuable lesson from all of this. Don't step foot into the fire.

Honestly I think hyperbole, anger and arguements would be lessoned if all information was given freely. If we knew everything inside the industry because then our expectations would be properly tempered

I am of course also sleep-deprived at this time though so may be going crazy

Praha

Neo Member
I've seen Xbox One OS twice. I haven't seen Xbox Live in action (aside from basic functionality of the dashboard), but I have to say that all of this isn't surprising.

A Microsoft rep said to me at an Xbox One media briefing a few months back that engineers will be working on the dashboard and Xbox Live right up until the minute the console launches. He said it in a very light, casual way, like as if to say, "Oh man, our engineers will be working on this beast right up until launch! How awesome is that!?" I didn't know how to respond. But he only said it after the person demoing the OS started having issues with it.

Again, this isn't surprising.

It's all a work in progress right up until it launches. And both consoles will be getting very large updates at launch.

This seems very trivial in the scheme of things. I'm sure MS will fix it.

Faustek

They must be busy figuring out a way to get Bish out of his bunker. Can we get some Astroturfers in here? I'm sure Bish's shill-o-sense would start ringing too loud for him to continue staying under the hatch.

Ah yes, this is a sad state indeed. Never before have a launch been this messy. I'm really saddened by the fact that you my console friends are running into launch issues.

Unstable OS
Day 1 patches
Online DRM
Offline DRM
Spy Cameras(on you not your local gyms tanning salon)
Missing features
No Video editing
Bad Sales
Restricted Hardware
No Mod support

Yes I feel your pain. But alas I have come here to remind you all of a different approach to your gaming needs. A different way to play the game. A way for you to be your own master so to speak.
What I'm talking about is Of course SteamOS

How many times haven't you seen Segas qπ Miku running around in the beautiful world of Skyrim decapitating vampires to a chippy tune? You Can in SteamOS

How many times haven't you wanted to be a horse in GTAIV? You Can in SteamOS

How many times haven't you just wanted to know about Half Life 3? You Can in SteamOS

Coming to you exclusive in 2014 Half Life 3 only on SteamOS

Please don't kill me

DieH@rd

Banned
XboxOnebetatested.jpg

(I'm assuming it's already been posted but I couldn't find it)

Can someone change this into "beta tested by 3 separate OS teams"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom