• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if both of these consoles hit their releases without any major problems?

Are there consequences for the 'Insiders' or do we just shrug and say "Oh well" then wait for the next Megaton from those same sources?

I suspect this place is addicted to the drama far more than it's interested in the facts.

There are strict rules by mods for insiders leaking info

2 sources minimum shown to mods and higher level of scrutiny I would imagine depending on insiders track levels

There would be bans if they posted inside info without sources to back it up

We move on with our lives, and enjoy the games.

Insiders have been wrong before, and we don't crucify them just because they've made mistakes every now and then.

Besides, they're still more right than wrong. By a fair margin.

I can accept there may be issues with LIVE for some people for the next couple of months, but the suggestion that basic elements of LIVE's functionality like Party-chat will not be broken for all for several months is something I cannot accept. Microsoft will clean this up by launch; OS software is something I have faith in when it comes to them. I'm sure Sony are also working on their OS even as we speak.

Imagine if app-switching, snapping and practically every secondary feature is bonked for months. That is the huge part of the news.

But with that being said, that's only a possibility that mort's sources has told him. MS may fix it within the last 3 weeks, who knows.

Besides, I wouldn't underestimate the power of crunch. While software development is different from other fields, I've seen what 'crunch time' can do to people, where in one week, people are more productive than they are in a month.

How is this news? Please just hear this out. Every single tech company on the planet promises something that looks amazing day one but runs like crap in reality. We've seen these things for years. The first iPhone. The first Android phone. Smart TVs. The first Blu-ray machine. The first computer.. Etc..

They show you the vision, exactly what they want you to be apart of and then work their way up. This is not news to me because this is bound to happen. Do I expect Sony UI or even the PSN store to be working like butter on day one? Absolutely not. Shit, I don't have faith in the Android version of the PSN app because I know it will be filled with bugs on day one. iOS 7 dropped and it causes nothing but problems. However it's not an issue Apple can't fix and this is certainly not an issue MS can not fix. This is way overblown and I feel its particially due to the fact that expectations are very high for something that isn't perfect to begin with. I don't know why everyone is acting oblivious to the truth of reality.... Shit never works perfectly day one.

StoopKid

People might not care about Smart Glass, but it was a largely publicized feature taking up a good chunk of the press conference. I am working on getting other sources for a few other things, but Famous has told you folks the brunt of what needed to be said.

Last night I heard some awful things about Xbox One, but I kind of wrote it off as hyperbole from one crazy kook, but Famous must be confident with a variety of sources because he's taken the ball, and knocked it out the park.

The best thing to come out of this entire situation, is Dent's twitter meltdown.

With that said, Sony has there own challenges, and journo's are pissed off over a cavalcade of things. There is much skepticism as to if PSN will actually work on day 1.

With all that said, folks this is launch day. Things will improve over time, and not everything will work optimally on day 1. Look at the Wii U, look at the PS3/360, and to some extent look at the Vita. The programmers are burning the midnight oil and working tooth and nail to deliver something come launch.

Lol kevin dent is such a clown.

A new street fighter game that Ono said wouldn't happen... why do I have this terrible feeling this is a f2p game similar to Killer Instinct or that F2P Tekken game

Did you guys forget they young kid on youtube with a XB1 milling around with the interface? In an uncontrolled environment. It's hard to believe this is true.

Ashes

Banned

Are there consequences for the 'Insiders' or do we just shrug and say "Oh well" then wait for the next Megaton from those same sources?

I suspect this place is addicted to the drama far more than it's interested in the facts.

I don't know; Arthur Gies gets criticised a fair bit. And he is a journalist too. He just overplayed his hand, didn't he?

And we've had a few tales from my ass threads. We've had one even today.

How is this news?

Nobody's mad at Sony for not having Gaikai or 'Take-over Gameplay' feature on day one because the expectations was set that those features are long-term and aspirational.

On the other hand, something like Remote Play not being there day-one would've pissed off a good amount of people, because they've been demo-ing, marketing and promising the product feature for months.

It's the same with MS. TV & app-switching are part of the core product promises delivered. It's sold as a core experience of the product, which was why Albert telling us the Kinect features are limited even for launch countries annoy some folk.

People are suspecting MS will eventually have an app-store for Xbox, but no one's angry it won't be there day one... because it's not part of their product selling points.

Expectations is a real thing.

Ocelott

So Glad I end up deciding not to get both systems. If the Ps4 is the lesser of 2 evils(though it doesn't sound bad)I will just wait for the Xbox when its a price drop or killer app.

It seems as if the last couple of years, beginning with the scrapping of XNA, is a series of blunders where Microsoft is determined to let the suits decide the future of their gaming platform. It is one thing for them to decide the business plan but it appears they can't help (if not suits, then applications-oriented designers) mucking with the implementation.

“In essence, it is almost EXACTLY how it was on the PS3, and it is in those API “handshakes” that is breaking the online experience.”

tumblr_mvcpe9ImZL1rxjo7co1_400.gif

Nokterian

In reality though, most of them don't speak it all that well when it comes to pronunciation.

As for the dutch language itself, there are so many different dialects (as i'm sure they have in most countries) that i can't see how this tech will ever be as problemfree and failurefree as buttonprompts. When i then think of all the money abd recourses invested... Damn.

But again, if it turns out that all the tech will work perfectly then they will have my eternal highest respect.

You do know that the first kinect was not localized in the netherlands right? It would be added later in that year..in the mean fast forward to today. Nothing happend and yes a lot of dialects here for sure. It shows to me how lacking microsoft is.

Enough with the negative news.

Who is being assigned to make the official threads for both consoles?

A standard big game would have its post done already. Somebody get to work please.

eot

Banned
Considering how many games launch while still being busted I guess we shouldn't be surprised if the game happens with a console.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow at the connections issues part.

So basically even getting connected in online multiplayer will be a crapshoot? Connecting to the servers to download that day one update will be spotty?

Oh, man. That's going to be a PR disaster.

Nachtmaer

You do know that the first kinect was not localized in the netherlands right? It would be added later in that year..in the mean fast forward to today. Nothing happend and yes a lot of dialects here for sure. It shows to me how lacking microsoft is.

Dialects in NL were already a problem? Boy, I can only imagine how things would go south of your border.

Gaz_RB

A standard big game would have its post done already. Somebody get to work please.

I'm sure people are working on it, but I wouldn't expect them until a week before launch...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The standard rule is one week before release. Not time yet.

sephi22

Here's a question for you guys, how would you handle this situation if you were at MS?

Scenario: You are Phil Spencer. The Xbox One development is going well, but there are small issues regarding online (like the party chat issues mentioned in the OP) that you hope will be ironed out by launch.

Things are going well and you are hopeful that by working overtime, you will be able to fix these by launch. If not, it will take a week or two at worst to fix them. Things could be better, but they are still not that bad.

Suddenly, word gets out and Mort posts this info on his blog. Now you have hundreds of angry fanboys asking you stuff like 'Is the online borked?' on your twitter. How do you answer?

Do you:
A) Say 'There are no issues', and hope whatever issues there are get fixed by launch, and no one remembers this. However, by saying this, you are playing with fire. If you don't fix the issues, they will call you an outright liar and this will be a PR nightmare.

B) Admit to the issues but ensure they will get fixed by launch. While this is an honest reply, its marketing suicide. Gamers might cancel pre-orders based on knee-jerk impulses, and if you end up fixing all the issues by launch, you would regret ever admitting you had any.

C) Give a non-answer.

Its a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation, and I don't blame guys like Spencer or Penello for giving non-answers. Its not because they are being dishonest, its just that its a shitty situation they are placed in and too early to start answering this as the console's still a month out.

They should wait until they know for sure whether they can deliver a fix or not, but still early enough so that people can cancel pre-orders if they so choose. A week before the console ships would be a good timeframe.

P.S. I'm talking out of my ass in a fantasy scenario and I don't really know how the business works.

thats what i said too...

come on guys, we cant be serious here saying that xbox live will be ruins and death.
it just does not compute.
could they have fucked it up? yes of course they could.
could it be permanently unfixable? unless they used proprietary and uncompatible hardware for networking, or something equally impossible, you bet you ass its fixable.

will they be laughed at if they dont deliver the service at day 1?
YES they will.
but nothing more serious than that I would bet.

They have to have the units packed up and ready to ship to retailers very soon, if not already. They don't have that much time left to fix everything. Most likely it would have to be a post launch patch to fix whatever issues there are.

Raide

Is that a Dev Kit or Day One Edition?

If it works on a Dev Kit, I don't see it suddenly being busted on a Retail Unit? I think a thread appeared about this footage and it was a Dev Unit.

I dunno about all this OS stuff. Out of Sony and MS, I kinda trust MS to make a good OS and have the features working well.

Dabanton

TBH waiting until after release to drop another megaton feels like an organised attempt to keep the bad news coming.

If there is a major problem with the X1 as a potential buyer of said machine I'd like to know what that is. What good is teasing all of us and then disappearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom