• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO the bad news for ps4 is that PSN may not work correctly? I'm not surprised.
Same for the Xbone. I doubt both online would be working.

Something of that sort although there is quite a bit stating XB OS and XBL is buggy right now while there is far less in the way of PSN issues

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Any new info on why MS fundamentally changed the concept of a system wide party and changed it into what appears to be game specific ones?

I would imagine that the hypervisor / multiple-VM (3 apparently) nature of the Xbox One OS means that apps on one VM and games on another VM would make sharing allocated resources between the VM's is problematic, that's kind of the point of VM's, to ringfence.

Verendus

Banned
No disrespect meant here, but I don't think I've seen Verendus' "information" correct before, starting from E3 (FFXV exclusive to PS4) and at TGS (new large-scale Sony JRPG). There were many more things that didn't come through as well.
In my defence, I will admit that I am deliberately vague with you. I stick to PM mostly. The FFXV post was worded in a deliberate manner and also filled with slightly false information (which I did admit as much publicly soon after). But, also in my defence, I pretty much let a mod and someone else on this forum know about FF15, KH3, no DRM, online, The Order, and a bunch of other crap around the time I made that initial post and/or a few weeks after. About a month before E3, I pretty much told a mod and that other member most of what you saw in FFXV's debut E3 trailer.

It's probably why I'm not banned. You can believe it, or as I always say, take the information with a grain of salt (the sensible thing to do since you can't vouch for me, and even if someone else does, it doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things).

Let's not discuss me though. I would appreciate that.

OHHH SHIIIIITTT. How this is not major DQ on PS4 ? Dude that is big.
Because it might be a worthless addition. Plus, I don't really think much of DQ (no offence DQ fans).

SeanR1221

That re-cap was very good. One confusing part though....

Jeff's answer here about journalist not reporting on resolution-gate

Absolutely! If one console runs a game that looks “twice as good” as the other version, you will most certainly hear about that.

Don’t hold your breath.

So...does this mean there isn't a resolution difference? Or am I reading this wrong?

The news was fake apparently. Maybe thats why the topic was locked

Please don't bring the reviewtech debacle in here if that's what you mean

This is based on actual sources

So...does this mean there isn't a resolution difference? Or am I reading this wrong?

I read it as Jeff said it. Basically unless the games are significantly different in the opinions/eyes of the gaming journos there's nothing to report

That in no way means multiplat parity or that resoultions would be the same. I just thought it was interesting to post it

I would still trust the resolutions given by mort and thuway (also cboat actually)

p3tran

Banned
You have not seen this one...an amazing work of art from over the weekend from Vashetti (i think)....

kazHirai_contro_DonMattrick.gif

This. This is why I fucking love GAF. Our GIFs are legendary.

for this gif to be appropriate, you need balmer or somebody ms hitting xbox division mattrick

Aw, here is some.

Nothing major though.

1. Dragon Quest will return to Playstation. This doesn't mean it's exclusive. Discussions at the moment.

2. Capcom has the next Street Fighter already in the works (don't know exact stage so kind of pointless really), even though Ono said a few months ago about the resources not being allocated or whatever. They're doing something though so not sure how that fits in what he said.

3. Someone should go prod the Tales head about PS4 Tales. They have one in concept. So, I expect next Tales after the next PS3 Tales? Safe bet. I don't think this that big news though. Although good if you're hoping for JRPGs to arrive a little earlier this time.

See? I can be nice even though I like to mess around with you the majority of the time.

aaaand thread delivers.
I can see how you are having (lotsa) fun, but at least you do it in a way that is fun for everybody ;)
you should be the paradigm.

S¡mon

Banned

I think he is referring to the "twice as good". I read it as: the PS4 has more powerful hardware, but it won't deliver images "twice as good".

People are bringing facts and you are talking about faith.

Why should we be positive? ........ if something is going badly wrong 3 weeks out from launch then people have every right to be negative, especially when hearing of the poor performance of an expensive machine.

If you don't like the rumours don't read them.

The only facts are that the OS isn't perfect right now during development. That's it, it's not a fact that when these systems launch and you apply the updates, they will be broken like they are now.

You don't have to be positive, it's your call. Faith isn't the same as optimism, and I will read whatever the fuck I want playboy.

CLEEK

I would imagine that the hypervisor / multiple-VM (3 apparently) nature of the Xbox One OS means that apps on one VM and games on another VM would make sharing allocated resources between the VM's is problematic, that's kind of the point of VM's, to ringfence.

Good point, that makes perfect logical sense. MS have stated that the system OS is segregated from the gaming OS, and one can be updated independantly from the other.

Krilekk

Banned
The same team that made Windows 7 went on to make Windows 8...

Which is in every regard superior to Windows 7. It's nice to hate on 8 for Metro but truth is I used it once and then got rid of it and used 8 ever since because it is that much better than 7.

I think there is an element of truth here, but with the way Microsoft development cycles are the OS team will probably have most of these issues ironed out in the day one patch. I can't see a situation where a paid service like XBL will be flaky and crap like PSN was for so long. Sony got away with the latter because it was a free service, paid customers are far less forgiving.

The insurance that Mort has given himself speaks volumes to me on this subject. Honestly, I'm more interested CBOAT's info that Bish got!

Woffls

It means resolution isn't the only thing that you need to consider when determining how good a game looks. Something that a lot of people seemed to ignore in that thread. Other effects might have been turned down just to get the game up to 1080p. Which version looks best may well end up being largely subjective depending on what players want to see: more pixels or more shading, particles etc.

Tobor

It means he doesn't think the resolution difference makes the PS4 "twice as good".

He sidestepped the guys question based on that specific wording.

mejin

I still think some sources are trying to make the PS4 as bad as Xbox One when we should be seeing Xbox One as good as PS4. Crazy stuff.

CLEEK

Which is in every regard superior to Windows 7. It's nice to hate on 8 for Metro but truth is I used it once and then got rid of it and used 8 ever since because it is that much better than 7.

How did you get rid of it? 3rd party software? Effectively modding the OS to turn it back into Windows 7. Not something you can do on a console now, is it.

Verendus

Banned
I think there is an element of truth here, but with the way Microsoft development cycles are the OS team will probably have most of these issues ironed out in the day one patch. I can't see a situation where a paid service like XBL will be flaky and crap like PSN was for so long. Sony got away with the latter because it was a free service, paid customers are far less forgiving.

The insurance that Mort has given himself speaks volumes to me on this subject. Honestly, I'm more interested CBOAT's info that Bish got!
I think that is something people may be underestimating about Microsoft. If there are genuine problems, I'd imagine they would fix them quickly. They have some very talented people there. And I imagine XBL would be a top priority. That service is a big point of pride for that platform.

In reference to CBOAT, I've been thinking about what it could potentially be, and nothing really seems to fit. I'm wondering what it could. I don't think he'd be referring to a potential hardware problem, it'd have to be on the software side. But what the hell could it be? That's hard to figure out. It's like everything that it could be is already a big negative point that has rumoured.

Edit:

Could be that CBOAT has mentioned this along with a bunch of other smaller software problems. Altogether, it creates one big 'ass storm'.

No disrespect meant here, but I don't think I've seen Verendus' "information" correct before, starting from E3 (FFXV exclusive to PS4) and at TGS (new large-scale Sony JRPG). There were many more things that didn't come through as well.

How about you bother reading Verendus's shit before you start talking out your ass.

He never said anything about TGS, and he already said beforehand to not expect anything big to appear on TGS. Sony JRPG that he teased was, by his own words, very very early stages, which means it wouldn't appear in any conferences until god knows when.

I won't say he's infallible nor do I necessarily think he's spot-on, but half the things he teased has no set-dates. In fact, I would assume his biggest teases wouldn't even materialise until 2015, earliest.

Perkel

Banned
Burden of proof is on you not me. Not a single leak, rumor, whiff has mentioned a delay. You're the one making the leap from potentially broken OS to delay.

You are right. I didn't say it as fact. I said it as big possibility and yet you say i shouldn't even try to talk about it. And you are questioning if i am even serious.

I don't have anything to Xbox or anyone. I would loooove to eat juicy crow but i am using electronics for almost my whole life and i am yet to see ANY consumer device that tried to do so many things at the same time connenting everything on day1. Even without 180 that should be monumental task.

It is my theory. You may not agree or agree. What we know is that CBOAT sent BISH something about Xbone that is megaton.
That was before those OS leaks problems (which were already hinted by proelite).

I would love to eat delicious crow.

GamerJM

Banned
In my defence, I will admit that I am deliberately vague with you. I stick to PM mostly. The FFXV post was worded in a deliberate manner and also filled with slightly false information (which I did admit as much publicly soon after). But, also in my defence, I pretty much let a mod and someone else on this forum know about FF15, KH3, no DRM, online, The Order, and a bunch of other crap around the time I made that initial post and/or a few weeks after. About a month before E3, I pretty much told a mod and that other member most of what you saw in FFXV's debut E3 trailer.

It's probably why I'm not banned. You can believe it, or as I always say, take the information with a grain of salt (the sensible thing to do since you can't vouch for me, and even if someone else does, it doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things).

Let's not discuss me though. I would appreciate that.

Because it might be a worthless addition. Plus, I don't really think much of DQ (no offence DQ fans).

Hm.....from this info it sounds like you're just hinting at DQX PS4 version

Rocky

Banned
He never said PS4 actually, and he didn't say if it is a totally new DQ. Imo it will be a version that already exists with extra bells and whistles, that communicates with WiiU, phones, 3DS. I don't think we'll be seeing a new DQ for some time.

Why not? I would love to see DQXI on PS4 and it be a return to more of like what DQ VIII was. IIRC, there was an interview with Horii around the time of X's launch where he said fans wanted the series to return to consoles and be more like DQ VIII was when asked about possibilities for XI.

Ashes

Banned
both at the mo. cancel all pre-orders, we're all doooomed I tells ya.

While we're in an honest mood, I truly to believe the ps4 is sub par for the course. Middling GPU & notebook CPU, even if they are supercharged or whatever. Devs should had pushed harder for more processing power.
If steam boxes next year dominate the ps4 at the same price point, one of the top 4 is going down.

chris0701

What on earth the DQ X PS rumors are posting in this thread ? Completely Off-topic
Isn't this thread a new-age of "ALL rumor I can get/post here?"

iJudged

Banned
Lol if true,but I doubt it, may have bugs and what not, I mean, we are paying $500 aren't we?....... To beta test it

So this is what was supposed to be huge news? I'm not discrediting mort or anything but this is just a whole other level of basic shit turning into unnecessary drama. Absolutely no new technology launch has ever been perfect. Every single thing from hardware to software, there is always issues....

You know what, I'm over this. This is just too much now.

RaikuHebi

Banned
So this is what was supposed to be huge news? I'm not discrediting mort or anything but this is just a whole other level of basic shit turning into unnecessary drama. Absolutely no new technology launch has ever been perfect. Every single thing from hardware to software, there is always issues....

It sounds way worse than normal issues to me.

ViciousDS

Banned

This, but Bish is hiding in the bunker atm probably waiting for someone else to out the info lol

sphinx

the piano man
We might know about it later today, this day is shaping up to be a megaton day, I hope the servers can cope with what is coming...

what makes you think this is going to be a megaton day? there are still some hours until US wakes up properly but if anything, I'd expect the most strict silence from all "official" parties until launch.

leakers and informers will continue giving tidbits, but PR people, journalists and specially MS and SONY as entities won't touch any social sites with a 10 foot pole for the next weeks.

p3tran

Banned
I think that is something people may be underestimating about Microsoft. If there are genuine problems, I'd imagine they would fix them quickly. They have some very talented people there. And I imagine XBL would be a top priority. That service is a big point of pride for that platform.

thats what i said too...
....i imagine that worst case scenario would be that one high ranking microsft suit with a semi-brain already has contacted a high ranking engineer-suit,
asking him for the favor of personally getting his hands dirty like it was 1999 and droping a team of high caliber coders that would normally would not be even bothered with the xbone if someone else had not screwed up beyond the scale of screwup blah blah...

or something in the lines of that.

i mean, its software.. they can do overtime on that..

but boy-oh-boy, if by any chance this release i go to my 360 to contact my game friends, like i used to do this gen but for another reason... hahahaha its going to ve soooo fucking funny :D

come on guys, we cant be serious here saying that xbox live will be ruins and death.
it just does not compute.
could they have fucked it up? yes of course they could.
could it be permanently unfixable? unless they used proprietary and uncompatible hardware for networking, or something equally impossible, you bet you ass its fixable.

will they be laughed at if they dont deliver the service at day 1?
YES they will.
but nothing more serious than that I would bet.

JaggedSac

The same team that made Windows 7 went on to make Windows 8...

Is this supposed to mean something?

Absolutely.

After pondering it for a little bit, here is what it appears to me that MS is doing, and this didn't quite come off this way based on the blog post. The system has a main OS and a game OS. It appears that the OS handling the party system can change. The situation in the blog post makes it sound like the party as a whole moves to the party handler of a specific game such as Halo or something. But it is actually just moving over to that particular player's game OS that is handling the party. So if someone is watching Netflix and is partying with a person also watching Netflix. If one of them starts playing Halo 5, only that person's party handling is moved over to the game OS. The person watching Netflix is still in the System OS party handler. The handshake that was mentioned is referring to system OS and game OS hand off.

Also, each specific game developer does not have to do any additional work to get this done. There are of course APIs that devs need to interact with, such as "is the player in a party", "who are they in a party with", and maybe game invites to party.

Foffy

Banned

I retract my claim of having cigars with you.
Y-you can make that up with a Demon's Souls 2 confirmation. I kid. Much love, friend. <3

This is what early adopters are there for, consoles would never launch without you guys suffering for the rest of us.
So, I can't forsee a launch delay even if they have to delay online play for a month or something.

Imagine if app-switching, snapping and practically every secondary feature is bonked for months. That is the huge part of the news.

But with that being said, that's only a possibility that mort's sources has told him. MS may fix it within the last 3 weeks, who knows.

Besides, I wouldn't underestimate the power of crunch. While software development is different from other fields, I've seen what 'crunch time' can do to people, where in one week, people are more productive than they are in a month.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
This, but Bish is hiding in the bunker atm probably waiting for someone else to out the info lol

I don't think that info is gonna be leaked, I think it's the true "ass storm" that will develop after launch.

We're seeing a whole season of little ass breezes, the odd ass gust, but the true, knock-down-trees ass storm is yet to come, which is why Bish has a shelter and I have shares in Butterkist.

kevlar35

Banned
And if both of these consoles hit their releases without any major problems?

Are there consequences for the 'Insiders' or do we just shrug and say "Oh well" then wait for the next Megaton from those same sources?

I suspect this place is addicted to the drama far more than it's interested in the facts.

Into

I don't think that info is gonna be leaked, I think it's the true "ass storm" that will develop after launch.

We're seeing a whole season of little ass breezes, the odd ass gust, but the true, knock-down-trees ass storm is coming, which is why Bish has a shelter and I have shares in Butterkist.

Yep even CboaT said wait til launch. Whatever it is, it sounds horrific

Guess that is the plan now, we wait for launch when all hell breaks loose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom