• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give me a couple months to get launch out of the way. GAF is too stupid right now. I'll give you the biggest news you'll likely hear for a good few years then. Please be excited.

55 pages and Chinner makes more sense than all of you.

I'm abandoning my species and joining his.

You better speak up boy. What do you have up those sleeves of yours? Speak! Speak! Speak! *beats him* SPEAK!

Perkel

Banned
I can't see it myself, they're going to ride this into the ground, can't jump off the train now.

They did already 180.

My reasoning is this:

First of all we need to see what they tried to do:

- Always online
- Azure cloud
- 3 OSes (main, game, app)
- Surface integration
- All Win 8 apps working on Xbone
- DVR (TV)
- Their UI with Snapping
- Finally Kinect as intergral part of Xbox.

All of that delivered Day 1 on premiere this or next year. Do you know any hardware or even software that could do something like that without major fuckups day 1 ? I don't. Features like those should be integrated gradually to ensure each of them works well.

Skeff do you believe all of those features are easy to implement ? Because i KNOW they aren't and probably anyone who used any kind of PC or console also knows that this is shit ton of features that each of them is complex and it takes looong time to implement.

Long story short they did 180. 180 with all those features that were supposed to deliver and they planned from start to work on them till launch. Now with 180 they need to re-engineer all of those features because every feature is connected and they can't just switch off features at will (beside some minor features).

I can't even think how much devs are currently crunching in MS. Probably heads since they already spent money set deadline for them which is known to us release date but at the same time they probably have plan B if they won't be able to meet deadline without major bugs.

As of what you said Skeff. They did 180. Nothing is impossible and i can't think of any megaton that would hide bish in his bunker.

CBOAT probably didn't yet leak any info because MS internally still didn't decide if they will delay console. Probably people are already talking about this but heads didn't yet made decision hoping that they will meet goal without spending shit ton of money delaying console.

Recent problems with OS are imo biggest truthfact for my theory. If they did 180 because they feared preorder numbers then i bet they fear much more consumer backlash when they will come to home with their new Xbox One and trying to play call of duty with friend and they won't be able to do that because OS will crash, friends invites won't reach people and so on.

Also people who leak stuff KNOW that consoles may have launch problems. They wouldn't leak stuff if it would be something minor. No one would leak that OS have bugs if those bugs wouldn't be serious. They leak this stuff because there are some serious OS bugs and there is veeeery little time to fix it before people will get hands on consoles.

CBOAT already also mentioned that 2014 would be much better time to release console (which pretty much confirmed Xbone was planned for 2014)

CLEEK

Remember when Albert Penello refuted his colleague (VP of Marketing or something) and said no one was working on Kinect targetted ads at this moment?

Maybe he wasnt lying after all. Just that every coder has been pulled off other projects to crunch the fuck out of the broken OS.

PBY

Banned
They did already 180.

My reasoning is this:

First of all we need to see what they tried to do:

- Always online
- Azure cloud
- 3 OSes (main, game, app)
- Surface integration
- All Win 8 apps working on Xbone
- DVR (TV)
- Their UI with Snapping
- Finally Kinect as intergral part of Xbox.

All of that delivered Day 1 on premiere this or next year. Do you know any hardware or even software that could do something like that without major fuckups day 1 ? I don't. Features like those should be integrated gradually to ensure each of them works well.

Skeff do you believe all of those features are easy to implement ? Because i KNOW they aren't and probably anyone who used any kind of PC or console also knows that this is shit ton of features that each of them is complex and it takes looong time to implement.

Long story short they did 180. 180 with all those features that were supposed to deliver and they planned from start to work on them till launch. Now with 180 they need to re-engineer all of those features because every feature is connected and they can't just switch off features at will (beside some minor features).

I can't even think how much devs are currently crunching in MS. Probably heads since they already spent money set deadline for them which is known to us release date but at the same time they probably have plan B if they won't be able to meet deadline without major bugs.

As of what you said Skeff. They did 180. Nothing is impossible and i can't think of any megaton that would hide bish in his bunker.

CBOAT probably didn't yet leak any info because MS internally still didn't decide if they will delay console. Probably people are already talking about this but heads didn't yet made decision hoping that they will meet goal without spending shit ton of money delaying console.

Recent problems with OS are imo biggest truthfact for my theory. If they did 180 because they feared preorder numbers then i bet they fear much more consumer backlash when they will come to home with their new Xbox One and trying to play call of duty with friend and they won't be able to do that because OS will crash, friends invites won't reach people and so on.

Also people who leak stuff KNOW that consoles may have launch problems. They wouldn't leak stuff if it would be something minor. No one would leak that OS have bugs if those bugs wouldn't be serious. They leak this stuff because there are some serious OS bugs and there is veeeery little time to fix it before people will get hands on consoles.

CBOAT already also mentioned that 2014 would be much better time to release console (which pretty much confirmed Xbone was planned for 2014)
Can we stop with the delayed launch stuff? Let's be reasonable.

So thuway confirmed that Sony has OS issues as well, gerstman also stated that Sony have been cagey with their OS......seems like two consoles that will have their fair share of issues at launch.

Are we expecting the Xbox issues to he worse? Is that why there is no equivalent ps4 thread? I'm trying to figure out what the difference is. Also, both companies have shown a great aptitude at adding OS features and making huge strides in terms of the OS with their current consoles. If anything, I'd say MS has done more to transform their OS for the 360 than Sony with their Ps3. So any issues will likely be resolved soon after launch for both consoles. Unless the thing doesn't boot up and play games, I think both consoles will be fine.

I would also say to buy neither one at launch if bugs and crashes bother you a lot.

Jeff said at least he knows how the PS4 front end looks like but the XBone looks fake, kinda imply that Xbone is in a deeper shit now.

http://http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/65309051360/im-not-sure-sony-has-been-particularly-forthcoming

I-hate-u

Give me a couple months to get launch out of the way. GAF is too stupid right now. I'll give you the biggest news you'll likely hear for a good few years then. Please be excited.

55 pages and Chinner makes more sense than all of you.

I'm abandoning my species and joining his.

surpirsed-baby.gif

IvorB

Many with insider knowledge have commented on this fact, biggest issue was lack of PSN connectivity ......... but this is due to the fact that PSN for PS4 has not launched yet.

Thee are also some crashes etc but nothing major, this and the fact that the OS has been out in the wild (Gertsmann referred to the French video of two guys using it).

It's not that the rare no issues for PS4, its that they are the expected last minute issues and in comparison to the issues MS are having they are nowhere near as significant.

Ah okay. Thanks for clarification.

JaggedSac

Damn my natural accommodating nature

lol, thanks. So MS wrote an API for party chatting that somehow doesn't work. They need to change the API to fix he issue but this will break the about to release set of games. If that is the case, no amount of time will fix it. They either wrap the old APIs in a new set and hopefully the new functionality is able to be contained in that, or you say fuck it and support two sets of APIs. Which wouldn't be completely strange given that the APIs will probably mature over the generation and have new functionality added so versioning support should be in the design from the beginning. Only strange thing about it would be a version 1.1 API before the box is even released, lol.

As an Australian who speaks English as a first language, most voice systems can't understand me.... You've got no hope.

The real test will be whether or not it can understand the Scotts. If so, I might need to get one just to use as a translator, because I sure as hell can't.

Faustek

Dudes, Dudes. Look at how x360 and ps3 launched, 8 years ago. They can hardly be compared to their current renditions in terms of UI, features, graphics and even looks. It's a console launch, whatcha gonna do ? Consoles gonna console.
I have fully paid off my Ps4, but i'm fully expecting a whole bunch of shit coming late, a software drought, and perhaps even some hardware difficulties. You want to headline into the new generation ? You have to calculate in the risks. It's the way the cookie has crumbled since, forever.

So in short, Yes xBone has a rocky start. But what console hasn't ? And what console hasn't recovered from it ?

Dreamcast....

? That confirms absolutely nothing. That's pure confirmation bias on your part.

We have no absolute confirmation at this point sort of cboat in my opinion

However the evidence that the XB1 OS and likely live is severly buggy at present is far stronger than anything on the PS4 side

Rob Florences tweet especially lends creedence to that with everything else pointing in that direction too

KMS

As long as the phrase "acceptable losses" isn't uttered by this time next year all this will be water under the bridge so to say.

shem935

Banned
I really wish all the teasing of "Big information" would just stop. It over hypes your reveal and makes neogaf this insane conglomeration of memes and overused gifs. Please just hold the info close to your chest until you can reveal it.

PBY

Banned
I really wish all the teasing of "Big information" would just stop. It over hypes your reveal and makes neogaf this insane conglomeration of memes and overused gifs. Please just hold the info close to your chest until you can reveal it.
What it really does is make the reveal about the leaker.

Jabba

Banned
Heard that a lot from 360 users. Never gotten it. I pick up everything from a stick to WASD weekly and never felt that "weird". If anything it's been weird if I've been using the same controller for to long. Nothing is a good fit for me :/

I'm a little different. I get comfortable whatever I use. 360/PS3 controller. kb/mouse. Noticed for some reason I'll find a comfy way to use control inputs. I don't get that weirdness either.

I've actually been fairly disappointed by the gifs in this thread

Thought more would spawn

CLEEK

lol, thanks. So MS wrote an API for party chatting that somehow doesn't work. They need to change the API to fix he issue but this will break the about to release set of games. If that is the case, no amount of time will fix it. They either wrap the old APIs in a new set and hopefully the new functionality is able to be contained in that, or you say fuck it and support two sets of APIs. Which wouldn't be completely strange given that the APIs will probably mature over the generation and have new functionality added so versioning support should be in the design from the beginning. Only strange thing about it would be a version 1.1 API before the box is even released, lol.

It sounds like for whatever reason, MS have made the same decision as pre-PS3 Sony.

All the cool features of the 360 we ingrained in the OS, which made them universal. On the PS3, the SDK supported certain features, but it was up to devs to incorporate them. Thats why you never had cross game chat, as different games used different code, and some supported chat and others didnt. Same with MP3 playback, same with Youtube uploading. All available in the Sony SDK, but never universally incorporated.

Caayn

Okay, so has there been an official statement from Microsoft about this yet? Or did any Microsoft employee said anything about this yet?
Did we ever get that kinect voice chart that Albert promised us was coming?
Nope

This forum reads like an anti xbox forum.
Im sure ms will fix it if true
If this is true. Then the Xbox One will have the same problem as the current PS3. Every game uses different voip systems. And you can't merger them all together without breaking a few games.

Perkel

Banned
Can we stop with the delayed launch stuff? Let's be reasonable.

Bish is in Bunker because of what CBOAT sent him.

Could you tell me what exactly is material for megaton because we already that CBOAT didn't posted here so it is not it.

nope i don't see anything megaton worthy beside delaying console launch due to major OS problems.

We should prepare for asstorm. CBOAT please send us word of Ass god.

Verendus

Banned
I was asked a question, and answered it. Pretty straightforward. I should have used the PM ability for a stealth attack and I understand as much. GAF is very sensitive now with all this negative news. We need some joy or something.

JaggedSac

It sounds like for whatever reason, MS have made the same decision as pre-PS3 Sony.

All the cool features of the 360 we ingrained in the OS, which made them universal. On the PS3, the SDK supported certain features, but it was up to devs to incorporate them. Thats why you never had cross game chat, as different games used different code, and some supported chat and others didnt. Same with MP3 playback, same with Youtube uploading. All available in the Sony SDK, but never universally incorporated.

I do not believe, for a second, that MS went that route for the party system. Some wires got crossed or some info dissected incorrectly. Any number of people down the line of architects and lead developers would have let someone know that doing things that way would be a bad idea.

gaming_noob

Teasing of "big information" is fine IMO but when do we get "big information" that's actually good news? Frankly I'm tired of seeing bad news every day on the only forum I read. Some good news, please?

cacildo

the ps4 will have its share of problems at release too. Its impossible to get it perfect right out of the box, with these nnew consoles. They depend too much on online servers, huge mandatory installs... wont be easy.

shem935

Banned
I was asked a question, and answered it. Pretty straightforward. But please forgive me. I should have used the PM ability for a stealth attack and I understand as much.

I know and I'm not trying to criticize. I really appreciate that you want to give us heads up and all. The problem comes in when people go insane (I am guilty of this as well) and blow things up without actually knowing anything.

CLEEK

I do not believe, for a second, that MS went that route for the party system. Some wires got crossed or some info dissected incorrectly. Any number of people down the line of architects and lead developers would have let someone know that doing things that way would be a bad idea.

It does sound crazy, but thats exactly how the issue has been described in all of mortimer's posts today. Re-read the OP for starters.

JaggedSac

It does sound crazy, but thats exactly how the issue has been described in all or mortimer's posts today. Re-read the OP for starters.

I understand that is was what is being brought forth, and I am saying that something was misinterpreted.

PBY

Banned
Bish is in Bunker because of what CBOAT sent him.

Could you tell me what exactly is material for megaton because we already that CBOAT didn't posted here so it is not it.

nope i don't see anything megaton worthy beside delaying console launch due to major OS problems.

We should prepare for asstorm. CBOAT please send us word of Ass god.
Wow you're serious.

Come on.

cebri.one

I was asked a question, and answered it. Pretty straightforward. I should have used the PM ability for a stealth attack and I understand as much. GAF is very sensitive now with all this negative news. We need some joy or something.

+1000

December can't come soon enough

Perkel

Banned
Teasing of "big information" is fine IMO but when do we get "big information" that's actually good news? Frankly I'm tired of seeing bad news every day on the only forum I read. Some good news, please?

We get the all the time like new games unveil. It's console launch period so it is normal that most of people are tuned to hardware not software especially if they have 500$ to spend on something.

I for example because of delayed Driveclub and bad sitation with Wheel support on Xbox one i will simply wait and see how things will resolve (especially with wheel support)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom