• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
So thuway confirmed that Sony has OS issues as well, gerstman also stated that Sony have been cagey with their OS......seems like two consoles that will have their fair share of issues at launch.

Are we expecting the Xbox issues to he worse? Is that why there is no equivalent ps4 thread? I'm trying to figure out what the difference is. Also, both companies have shown a great aptitude at adding OS features and making huge strides in terms of the OS with their current consoles. If anything, I'd say MS has done more to transform their OS for the 360 than Sony with their Ps3. So any issues will likely be resolved soon after launch for both consoles. Unless the thing doesn't boot up and play games, I think both consoles will be fine.

I would also say to buy neither one at launch if bugs and crashes bother you a lot.

is there a thread on that? the xb ones seem to be getting much more attention here.

Edit:

I take that back after a few seconds of thought. We must go full tragedy. It will make a better story in the long-term.

I nominate "proponent of tragedy" as your avatar quote going forward. I read your post, but when I got to that edit, I laughed so hard I peed a little.

MormaPope

Banned
Why would MS do that? Its not in their nature. Just look at how they handled RRoD. They knew long before launch that the hardware was fucked and had fundamental design issues. Yep kept pumping them off the production line to make sure they had the jump on the PS3.

Then after launch when consumers had dead consoles, they denied any problem "things break" and pumped out the exact same flawed hardware for 12 months before finally starting to look into addressing the hardware faults.

Starting to sound all too familiar.

Yup, this is an issue of trust. Sure, the Xbone probably won't suffer from a RRoD equivalent, but I'm sure as hell not going to trust Microsoft when it comes to launching new hardware.

p3tran

Banned
Yes, I'll be getting a PS4 this year (funds dependant). I was hoping to pick up an Xbox one in March/April...but I guess we'll see how the launch goes.

It's going to be weird using a DS4.
if you are getting one day one of them and the other one in spring, I would buy in opposite order just for the games available.

what crow?

he is right its a win win situation for these insiders. if xbox one doesn't have any of these problems they can say oh they fixed just right on time.
especially this last rumor does really anyone expect the first weekend to be smooth sail for these consoles?

He's one of the "Sony has DRM too!" guys, he created Tales from My Ass IV, he called out CBOAT over something ridiculous and was delivered a reply by the buttocks himself. And that's just the stuff I remember, he's been feasting on crow regularly all year.

As for him being right, rubbish. Software is a moving target, it's not a locked down piece of hardware, so of course they're leaving the door open for these issues to be fixed. It's common fucking sense. And what's your solution to this then? Require leakers to be able to predict the future? Or should they keep quiet until the day before launch and only then inform us of what they know?

Either trust the mods to vet the leakers, approve/disprove of their posts and ban anyone that's talking shit or don't enter these threads in the first place.

Rainy Dog

They should delay the Xbone until february/march/april 2014. Fix all issues and release a COMPLETE package which is working as it should (and not only in 16 countries).
Don't release another broken product, knowing it is broken (see the Xbox360 story).

Agreed, if the situation is that they simply cannot get the OS in a stable state fit for general usage. But even as someone who’s only getting a PS4, I really hope it doesn’t come to that and MS can at the very least drum up something that is stable enough to play games even if literally everything else has to be disabled initially.

I’d have no sympathy for MS if it did come to that, but I’d have the upmost for the gamers that just want to finally play the games.

He didn't start this thread. He posted it on his blog and said that the mods hadn't got back to him so he couldn't post it on GAF. In the 50+ pages since he may have had it verified by mods though. Someone will have to correct me if I am wrong.

Right and what about his numerous follow-up posts on GAF that further elaborates it?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=8107174

Plus I've been mentioning this idea every 5 pages or so to try and get a rise out of the mods as I'd love anything from them at this point

is there a thread on that? the xb ones seem to be getting much more attention here.

Scroll down on my summary to PS4 news

I tried to contain it all in there

THREAD SUMMARY FOR NEW PAGE

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87786946#post87786946

Waaghals

This seems almost too crazy to be true. I know Mortimer's track record, but this level of supposed dysfunction inside MS is just baffeling.

I would have thought that carrying on with an X360 style system would have been a no-brainer.

I'm not sure I believe this, not becasue I don't trust Mortimer, but because this level of stupidity seems completely counterintuitive too me.

One of my reasons that i am skipping this but hey for my country it is delayed untill 2014 so no worry!
That's another thing... I think a big reason for the delay is making voice commands work for all the different languages.
I will never understand why they decided to push this tech soo much... All can be done with simple quiet button prompts that have a zero failure rate..

Faustek

From the maker of such threads as...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650659&highlight=

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563713&highlight=

rolleyes.gif

Yes, I'll be getting a PS4 this year (funds dependant). I was hoping to pick up an Xbox one in March/April...but I guess we'll see how the launch goes.

Heard that a lot from 360 users. Never gotten it. I pick up everything from a stick to WASD weekly and never felt that "weird". If anything it's been weird if I've been using the same controller for to long. Nothing is a good fit for me :/

There's a difference. the Sony OS issues are that 1) PSN is not up - but it's not scheduled to be up and 2) the OS is still being finalized, hence the massive, practically mandatory day 1 patch. 3) They're having a tightly controlled review event because they have all this stuff coming down to the wire

The allegation here in this thread is that fundamental XBL chat and multiplayer matchup features may be broken on Xbone for months after launch. That's a big thing. If the source who said it's a fix that will take a long time is correct, then it's a bigger problem for MS than the stuff we've heard about Sony's OS.

But, if the problem's scope is overblown by this source, then perhaps it's a very short term problem that ends up getting patched either on day one or in the first couple weeks. Which would not be the end of the world.

sounds the same, neither are finished, both could be broken.

I've a feeling both will be fine though.

if you are getting one day one of them and the other one in spring, I would buy in opposite order just for the games available.

Well the hope was that by March/April Titanfall would be out and any issues with the Xbox One would have been resolved.

Heard that a lot from 360 users. Never gotten it. I pick up everything from a stick to WASD weekly and never felt that "weird". If anything it's been weird if I've been using the same controller for to long. Nothing is a good fit for me :/

Never liked the DS3 really, hurts my hands after a few hours.

JaggedSac

It probably conflicted with TV integration or Skype or NuADs or Kinect or some other function which trumps gaming in the eyes of the current Xbox decision makers.

How would that conflict? They already have it where one person can be watching Netflix and the others can be playing games and still be party chatting. From his blog post, it sounds like they went back to pre-party days.

Have you read all of mort's posts in here as he adds a little on to what is said in the blogs?

Otherwise nothing new on that front

I have not, and unfortunately, I am too lazy to bother. Do you recall offhand his explanation?

MormaPope

Banned
This seems almost too crazy to be true. I know Mortimer's track record, but this level of supposed dysfunction inside MS is just baffling.

I would have thought that carrying on with an X360 style system would have been a no-brainer.

I'm not sure I believe this, not becasue I don't trust Mortimer, but because this level of stupidity seems completely counterintuitive too me.

The Xbox One's alternative title could be Xbox Vista going by the info going around.

IvorB

So thuway confirmed that Sony has OS issues as well, gerstman also stated that Sony have been cagey with their OS......seems like two consoles that will have their fair share of issues at launch.

Are we expecting the Xbox issues to he worse? Is that why there is no equivalent ps4 thread? I'm trying to figure out what the difference is. Also, both companies have shown a great aptitude at adding OS features and making huge strides in terms of the OS with their current consoles. If anything, I'd say MS has done more to transform their OS for the 360 than Sony with their Ps3. So any issues will likely be resolved soon after launch for both consoles. Unless the thing doesn't boot up and play games, I think both consoles will be fine.

I would also say to buy neither one at launch if bugs and crashes bother you a lot.

Sony are having OS issue? Really?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I skipped over 25 pages but needless to say I'm a bit skeptical about this, to put it lightly. Surely this is something they would have had finished months ago.

Has cboat commented on this?

I-hate-u

I cancelled my Xbox One pre-order.

I took it one step further, after reading the posts about potentially negative PS4 news (the humanity), I cancelled that pre-order too.

I'm half expecting you Gaffers to get blown up come launch day. This hardware cannot be trusted.

Man tell us some info on dem SCE games.

If I were planning on getting an Xbone, I'd wait for a price drop. There's just no way I can see Microsoft not getting desperate and dropping the price at some point next year, whether they drop Kinect at the same time or not.

I'm a bit skeptical about this, to put it lightly. Surely this is something they would have had finished months ago.

If they weren't planning on launching until 2014, and the recent workflow was based around the DRM implementation then it the '180' will have thrown everything off.

If I were planning on getting an Xbone, I'd wait for a price drop. There's just no way I can see Microsoft not getting desperate and dropping the price at some point next year, whether they drop Kinect at the same time or not.

I suppose that's a real possibility. I'd prefer to wait if they sold it without Kinect.

Chinner

Banned
this is just the gamble you take when buying (either) console at launch. just wait it out till the next wave of games hit early next year. by then software should be patched and more stable, any hardware faults will be known about and more importantly there will be a bigger library of games out for you to choose from.

I have not, and unfortunately, I am too lazy to bother. Do you recall offhand his explanation?

Damn my natural accommodating nature

I'm still talking to my contact and I wanted to share this exchange.

Him: I can explain why this would be a challenge to fix, if you need some clarification.

Me: Yes, please!

Him: Alright, the problem stems from the fact that it's both launching on the 22nd, and each team has had to write their system to write their party system to handle party hand-offs from the OS side. So if you change the way the way the system handles matchmaking or parties or voice chat in parties or voice chat in games, you run the risk of breaking every released game's individual API, because you have to account for how each individual game's XBL functionality is written. However, the way it is now is a huge cluster mess of probs.

So, in a weird way, they can't fix it on the OS side. What you could do is you could write an all encompassing XBL-API and hand it to each dev. But then you'd have to make that the standard, the OS side would have to be patched to recognize only api handshakes from the game to the OS with that particular code. Meaning some games would still end up breaking, but it'd be fewer. And it'd be more future proof.

No word on what MS is going to do about it though, and with the trouble they are having pushing online clients to Thunderhead to begin with.

They have bigger fish to fry if they want their next 6-months of titles to launch on time.

I meant since the thread started.

By info do you mean specifics as to why the technical problems are happening or more confirmations as to whats broken?

Because as my post above illustrates, we've had new info on both

Jburton

Banned
Sony are having OS issue? Really?

Many with insider knowledge have commented on this fact, biggest issue was lack of PSN connectivity ......... but this is due to the fact that PSN for PS4 has not launched yet.

Thee are also some crashes etc but nothing major, this and the fact that the OS has been out in the wild (Gertsmann referred to the French video of two guys using it).

It's not that the rare no issues for PS4, its that they are the expected last minute issues and in comparison to the issues MS are having they are nowhere near as significant.

p3tran

Banned
Well the hope was that by March/April Titanfall would be out and any issues with the Xbox One would have been resolved.

Never liked the DS3 really, hurts my hands after a few hours.

yes, I was talking about day 1 games, where xbone seems to bring better shit out of the gate.

spring is titanfall yes, but is also driveclub/infamous for ps4 and then hopefully destiny may drop on both too.

AmyS

With hardware and OS(s) this complex with this new gen, it is no wonder. There are bound to be issues on both sides of the fence. There's little doubt PS4 early adopters will have some issues, but it seems early XBO adapters may face more & worse issues if even half of what has been said is true.

I'm glad I didn't pre-order either console. I'll probably get a PS4 in Feb or March and maybe the XBO much later into 2014.

For those getting XBO this year, I hope the engineers at Microsoft pull off some miracles so that basic functionality, playing games offline & online work as soon as they plug in their consoles. My brother works in software engineering outside of the game industry so I do feel bad for those guys burning the candle at both ends.

LCfiner

sounds the same, neither are finished, both could be broken.

I've a feeling both will be fine though.

doesn't sound the same at all to me. the whole reason this thread was started was due to very specific allegations of important stuff not working on the xbone that are seemingly not possible to fix in time for launch

but, FWIW, I don't think MS will have broken multiplayer for a long time after launch. I'm guessing that any problems will be ironed out within two weeks for all games.

the thought of the system being broken for months until early 2014 seems crazy. Certainly not impossible, but really crazy for MS to ship a console with a fundamental feature broken for so long. I don't think it'll happen.

Nokterian

That's another thing... I think a big reason for the delay is making voice commands work for all the different languages.
I will never understand why they decided to push this tech soo much... All can be done with simple quiet button prompts that have a zero failure rate..

Fun fact a lot of dutch people speak english as a second language.

yes, I was talking about day 1 games, where xbone seems to bring better shit out of the gate.

spring is titanfall yes, but is also driveclub/infamous for ps4 and then hopefully destiny may drop on both too.

I might just hold off on both to be honest, I'm saving for my wedding next November and I've got enough gadgets already (according to my better half).

Corto

this is just the gamble you take when buying (either) console at launch. just wait it out till the next wave of games hit early next year. by then software should be patched and more stable, any hardware faults will be known about and more importantly there will be a bigger library of games out for you to choose from.

Absolutely. If you don't want to put yourself through a launch/early adopter period then wait a few months. Christmas though will be tough for parents or kids to go through without caving in and buying one of these consoles as a gift.

Verendus

Banned
Man tell us some info on dem SCE games.
Give me a couple months to get launch out of the way. GAF is too stupid right now. I'll give you the biggest news you'll likely hear for a good few years then. Please be excited.

55 pages and Chinner makes more sense than all of you.

I'm abandoning my species and joining his.

50 pages and Chinner makes more sense than all of you.

I'm abandoning my species and joining his.

You know your ticket to Gaf's Next Gen hype train was just voided right?

Seriously you don't even get to try the complimentary cookies or anything

Huh someone actually just quoted my summary

Wondered if that would happen

le.phat

Dudes, Dudes. Look at how x360 and ps3 launched, 8 years ago. They can hardly be compared to their current renditions in terms of UI, features, graphics and even looks. It's a console launch, whatcha gonna do ? Consoles gonna console.
I have fully paid off my Ps4, but i'm fully expecting a whole bunch of shit coming late, a software drought, and perhaps even some hardware difficulties. You want to headline into the new generation ? You have to calculate in the risks. It's the way the cookie has crumbled since, forever.

So in short, Yes xBone has a rocky start. But what console hasn't ? And what console hasn't recovered from it ?

Ashes

Banned

Pretty much. Seems like a particular bad launch, but it'll be better by next fall.

Just be thankful. A clusterfuck of epic proportions would have been if this had been before the 180.

Xbox 8. So many similarities with how MS fucked everything great about Windows 7.

The sooner Ballmer leaves MS, the better.

they stuck a start screen on and improved performance. I've used it for a year and cannot see why it's seen that way? it's been stable and fast.

I do feel the metro screen was all a bit of a waste of time for desktop windows mind, forced in.

Well if all these problems are going on. I see it being a work in progress and they would need to fix things in priority. Now launch is a month away they have time.

But anything can happen when the system gets in the public hands. That what's should be more concern. Stuff that wasn't seen in the closed environment.

Hope it gets iron out sooner than much later.

IvorB

Y'all need to chill. We don't even know if this stuff is true. You're just fear mongering at this point, considering well all know soon enough.

I don't think it's fear mongering at all but you are right: we will know soon enough. But I do think there is enough info here for prospective buys to take a cautious approach. Especially considering MS's track record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom