• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Chaos17

I regret to have played Fantasy Life before Rune Factory 4 because of the gameplay. FL made thigs really smooth for players progression and combat. But RF4 do have the simualtion part (the villagers) that is missing in FL.

Zing

Banned
Alchemist I just saved until the end of the game. I was good enough to make hi-sp potions and life cures in bunches. After that I said fuck it since I never used bombs and they other stuff I was making wasn't that great. I got lucky I guess and didn't have to really grind very many monster drops to level it up.
I just want to make useful stuff for the time I invest. The potions at the shops don't seem much worse, and money is not an object in this game. At least with Blacksmith and Tailor, the items I make are significantly better than store-bought.

I figured out that the armor with element bonuses are defensive, not offensive. I haven't battled against a big boss with a specific elemental attack to test the effectiveness.

I'm probably going to retire my wizard/alchemist/tailor and return back to my Paladin/Blacksmith/Miner. I was mainly starting over just to refresh my memory with the story. I've now reached the final chapter again, so I am caught up. Paladin with shield is just too fun, and making awesome weapons and armor is nice. I am growing tired of always having to back away and range attack.

Just got the game and I have a question. I finished the prologue and now I can do free stuff in reveria. Can I start changing lives? Or should I wait some main story event?

TheMoon

Just got the game and I have a question. I finished the prologue and now I can do free stuff in reveria. Can I start changing lives? Or should I wait some main story event?

Do whatever. Story stuff is quite insignificant. :)

If they let you, it means you are free to go nuts and do what you want.

VandalD

ok!
stupid question, what's the point of the active life? Apparently I can still fight if I'm a miner and collect mines if I'm a blacksmith.

stat boosts for the specific skills/attributes, iirc.
On top of the relevant attribute boosts, you get more materials while mining as a miner, and more wood if you chop trees as a woodcutter. You can complete some challenges while in any life, but if, for instance, you have a bounty challenge for paladin, you need to actually be a paladin when you turn in that bounty, otherwise you won't get challenge credit.
I'm still a bit salty that swapping lives requires going to the guild
Could have been a lot worse if they didn't let you teleport back at nearly any time. I'd have preferred a more flexible system where you don't have to dedicate yourself to one class at any time, and they just let you go out and do whatever you want to do. This game wants you to lead multiple lives so much that they might as well have just gotten rid of the barriers.

L~A

Got a question... currently Hero Cook, but need to grind skills up to Level 15... any tip on doing that as quickly as possible?

Tripon

Got a question... currently Hero Cook, but need to grind skills up to Level 15... any tip on doing that as quickly as possible?
Higher level cooking recipes will give more experience. You might need to change into a fisherman though to get high level fish.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
If you have the DLC you can also buy an item for three Lunares coins that boosts your exp rate for all skills under the cook life, but that requires you to have finished the game and gotten into the DLC content. This might help you out as well, has some recipe suggestions.

L~A

Higher level cooking recipes will give more experience. You might need to change into a fisherman though to get high level fish.

I figured as much, but thought that, perhaps, there was a trick or something, ha ha. Anyway, thanks for the answer!

If you have the DLC you can also buy an item for three Lunares coins that boosts your exp rate for all skills under the cook life, but that requires you to have finished the game and gotten into the DLC content. This might help you out as well, has some recipe suggestions.

Ha ha, it's the very thread I found yesterday evening while looking out for tips. And no, don't have the DLC... have no real desire to buy it since I'm not even done with the main dish after 150h+, and with many other games to play. Maybe if there's a lull in release after the launch of the next handheld, I'll catch up to it...

Elija2

The challenges where you have to cut down 500 trees or mine 500 ores are just the worst. I've completed every other Miner challenge so far but I have to grind 100 more ores if I want to rank up. Ugh.

Velcro Fly

The challenges where you have to cut down 500 trees or mine 500 ores are just the worst. I've completed every other Miner challenge so far but I have to grind 100 more ores if I want to rank up. Ugh.

I'm the same way with woodcutting. I need to cut down like 200 more trees. I guess it's ok since it will level my woodcutting skill up and give me plenty of wood to finish other crafting Lives.

Haven't played this game in almost 2 months though. I get addicted for a few weeks and then stop playing. I'll 100% it eventually though.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
It worries me that ill finish a long day of work then fire up this sucker to complete menial tasks and other work but I find it so soothing and relaxing!
I have a task to kill some gorillas in the desert but I can't find them - any tips?

Niraj

It worries me that ill finish a long day of work then fire up this sucker to complete menial tasks and other work but I find it so soothing and relaxing!
I have a task to kill some gorillas in the desert but I can't find them - any tips?

They're probably the ones to the south. You go down a little pathway iirc that takes you to the entrance to another area.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
They're probably the ones to the south. You go down a little pathway iirc that takes you to the entrance to another area.
Oh nice, thanks - I keep going north and ending up in the Ancient Ruins. I'll hunt around more:)

Stix_Remix

Neo Member
Just came back to this game after quite a few months of inactivity, and I discovered my save data had apparently been erased. Has this happened to anyone else? Pretty weird glitch, considering it saves to the SD card. :(

Kind of a bummer to lose 60 hours of progress, but... I was thinking of restarting the game so I guess that works too. :-/

VandalD

who still plays? this week i`ll 100h :)
Haven't played in a while, but I loaded it up to see what my time was.

WVW69iiVykMtfKKGLu

There are a few more things I could do, but I've pretty much got all the stuff I wanted to get. And that's how much money I have left over after going to every furniture store and making sure I have 5 of everything. This game gave me good value. Too bad about the sequel.

ngower

This game's been on my radar for a while and I was hoping for a Black Friday deal, but alas none to be found. So I'm leaning towards picking it up soon as I've been neglecting my 3DS and, outside of the Zelda or Atlus games, this is probably the biggest title I've overlooked. It seems to be a distant cousin of Animal Crossing, which is a series I adore. Just wondering if this game is still worth looking into. If I understand correctly there's an online element--is that still active or has it died off?

This game's been on my radar for a while and I was hoping for a Black Friday deal, but alas none to be found. So I'm leaning towards picking it up soon as I've been neglecting my 3DS and, outside of the Zelda or Atlus games, this is probably the biggest title I've overlooked. It seems to be a distant cousin of Animal Crossing, which is a series I adore. Just wondering if this game is still worth looking into. If I understand correctly there's an online element--is that still active or has it died off?

It's more Rune Factory than Animal Crossing.

You can play online but it's only with friends, so it'd only be dead if you can't find anybody to play with you.

Jhoan

Funny, I've had this game for a year and have never played the MP nor got the DLC. It's a bummer to hear that the only way to play the MP these days is with friends since I don't have anyone added who plays it. I definitely agree that this game a lot of bang for the buck despite the grinding monotony. I mean it's fascinating that Austin Walker made it his GOTY last year.

I haven't booted it up in a couple of months but would be interested in trying it out to take out a couple of dungeon super bosses.

Seil

Are you able to change your character appearance later in the game,

You can, though it's been so long since I played that I can't remember what the conditions are. You can never change your gender, though. And for some that's important since there are a couple gender specific armor sets that don't share stats.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Sorry to bump this thread too but I'm desparately looking for a great coop game for the coming summer and I'm jumping here and there asking for toukiden, soul sacrifice and more and now... This. Is it worth takin fantasy life with the intention of playing it mostly for coop?

Sorry to bump this thread too but I'm desparately looking for a great coop game for the coming summer and I'm jumping here and there asking for toukiden, soul sacrifice and more and now... This. Is it worth takin fantasy life with the intention of playing it mostly for coop?

There's a lot of stuff you have to do solo but it is a lot of fun to play in coop. I put in a lot of time playing coop especially in the DLC area. I'd pick this over Toukiden for sure. I like toukiden a fair bit. I haven't played SSDelta or vanilla SS so can't comment.

Why wouldn't you get the actual Monster Hunter instead of a vastly inferior imitator?

OT though, about half of my (200 hour) playtime was spent in co-op and I had a blast.
Would definitely recommend (plus co-op is effectively mandatory for the DLC which is a lot of fun)

-NeoTB1-

Anyone still playing this? I did a little co-op with a friend back at launch and had a lot of fun. Randomly came across the game today while cleaning my office and felt the urge to play again.

Linius

Haven't played in ages, after 100 hours I felt like I've seen most of it. Still salty there won't be a proper follow up on the 3DS.

Niraj

If I get the time, I'd like to replay it since I don't have my data anymore. I liked it enough to go through all that again.

watershed

Banned
I've played it thru twice and am still contemplating a 3rd. I find it's interesting enough to mix different classes that the game can support multiple playthroughs and still be fun and charming.

Velcro Fly

I haven't maxed out all jobs but I've thought about replaying the game.

It was such a charming experience and the 90+ hours I put in to the game felt like almost nothing at all.

I just have so much more on my plate game wise that I feel like taking another 100+ hours on this game when I have so many more games that I want to play through this summer would be almost irresponsible.

yayaba

Sadly my wife and I stopped playing as well. We must have sunk about 50 hours into the game and we co-oped the majority of it. The funny thing is when we go on vacations and decide to bring our 3DS's (for long plane rides), we'll bring our copies and without playing for literally months, we can hop back in and immediately start playing and picking up from where we left off.

It's to the point where none of us can remember what's going on in the story but we just grind life quests for fun and can play it for 3-4 hours even. At this rate we'll probably finish it in 2020 but it'll be fun at least :)

Impotaku

Aaand im done, level 200 and god rank in every life along with all the masters special requests taken care of so i now have all crafting recipes too. Time to shelve fantasy life after 141 fun hours of playing.

cbed157718.jpg

cbed543df0.jpg

watershed

Banned
I just revisited this game the other day. Still so much fun. Too bad we haven't heard anything about the sequel in a while, but maybe that means it is no longer a mobile game and will instead come to the 3ds or Nintendo's next handheld.

Top Bottom