• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Adamator

I have no trouble playing with someone higher than me. I don't play this kind of game for a challenge.

I wish I could one shot kill things. I really want to get more Lunares coins but none of my current life Creator ranks (Paladin and Miner) make it easy and Pam's requests are a pain.

But I so want the dragon King stuff. I guess that is my "Goal" right now.

I started angler this morning for something new. I also read a guide that it's creator rank daily for Gold Lunares is pretty doable. We shall see.

VandalD

I never did check out how the multiplayer worked in this game. If anyone (with the expansion) wants help or just wants to group up to kill some things, I'd be down for that. Haven't played this very much since I hit creator with everything.

Velcro Fly

Hero rank for Paladin, Miner, Angler. Woodcutter, Blacksmith, and Carpenter.

Just finished Chapter 5 of the main story right now. About 62 hours in. Looking forward to the next area where I can slay things and farm materials to craft things. A few of these jobs I will be able to max out pre DLC pretty quickly.

I love this game. Easily one of my favorites on the 3DS along with Smash. Hard to believe I took so many months off of this game.

edit: I need to know if I can do the DLC trial stuff with NPCs. I know online is probably dead and I have this thing where I hate asking for help with anything. So if my gear/items are good enough I can do anything in this game with NPCs right?

Brick

I'm just starting to really dive into this game after picking it up a few months ago. It's some of the most fun I've had while gaming in a long time and I'm loving every minute of it.

Are there any Combat classes that are better for the initial leveling than others, or are they all pretty much the same? I'm thinking about going Archer, but don't want to make the game too difficult on myself later on if I end up being too squishy.

VandalD

I'm just starting to really dive into this game after picking it up a few months ago. It's some of the most fun I've had while gaming in a long time and I'm loving every minute of it.

Are there any Combat classes that are better for the initial leveling than others, or are they all pretty much the same? I'm thinking about going Archer, but don't want to make the game too difficult on myself later on if I end up being too squishy.
Archer is fine. The only one I'd say to avoid early on is Magician, and that's because you'll be wanting to use your SP on dashing around and gathering wood and ore. Even the most basic attack spell costs SP, so it's helpful to have a weapon skill to fall back on.

Brick

Archer is fine. The only one I'd say to avoid early on is Magician, and that's because you'll be wanting to use your SP on dashing around and gathering wood and ore. Even the most basic attack spell costs SP, so it's helpful to have a weapon skill to fall back on.

Good to know. Thanks!

I started playing this earlier in the week. I figured I'd unlock all three of the gathering classes first and explore a bit. I noticed that the lumberjack class' challenges are going to be tricky. A lot of them ask for elder logs, but aside from the introductory quest, I haven't encountered such a tree yet. Are there any pro tips to not to get stuck at the mercy of the RNG gods?

VandalD

I started playing this earlier in the week. I figured I'd unlock all three of the gathering classes first and explore a bit. I noticed that the lumberjack class' challenges are going to be tricky. A lot of them ask for elder logs, but aside from the introductory quest, I haven't encountered such a tree yet. Are there any pro tips to not to get stuck at the mercy of the RNG gods?
Try not to neglect your Luck stat. It has a decent effect on drop quality, so much that people don't tend to max it out even if they can, just because then they'd never get common drops. Besides that, you always get one more extra lumber drop as a woodcutter and one more ore drop as a miner. You also get another drop from getting an "Excellent!" when you finish a node, and you do this by "overkilling" the node. I think Elder Logs in particular only come from the bigger trees you may not even be able to cut down yet. Keeping your tools up to date as much as you can is extremely important, whether you're crafting them yourself or buying them.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Hero rank for Paladin, Miner, Angler. Woodcutter, Blacksmith, and Carpenter.

Just finished Chapter 5 of the main story right now. About 62 hours in. Looking forward to the next area where I can slay things and farm materials to craft things. A few of these jobs I will be able to max out pre DLC pretty quickly.

I love this game. Easily one of my favorites on the 3DS along with Smash. Hard to believe I took so many months off of this game.

edit: I need to know if I can do the DLC trial stuff with NPCs. I know online is probably dead and I have this thing where I hate asking for help with anything. So if my gear/items are good enough I can do anything in this game with NPCs right?

Yes, you can.

Chaos17

Of course, just be sure to unlock the master combat NPC or at least the queen, they're better than anyone else for the trial tower.

Chaos17

Who is the Master Combat NPC? Do you mean Odin?

Each jobs has a master that you can ulock with DLC.

01uPe0Yl_thumb.jpg

Odin is just a story NPC.
By combat as meant > paladin, archer, mage, warrior

Zing

Banned
I started playing again tonight. I still have a character with 45 hours on it and almost finished with the story, but I wanted to start over and keep it simple. So, I am an alchemist for now, and probably a wizard later. Maybe in the far future I will be a Tailor, but for now, I am sticking to just one job.

I'm going to have my girlfriend try the game and see if she enjoys it. I considered buying a digital copy during the sale last week but forgot to pull the trigger. Now the sale is over! Sigh.

Zing

Banned
What made me quit was how overpowered I was. It made the combat trivial. Only doing one or two lives will hopefully rein that in.

Why are names limited to six characters? Arg.

Can someone remind me... Are we able to recustomize the look of our character later? I can't remember what the hairdresser does.

Adamator

I've been building up fishing so I can do the God challenge for coins. I am just about at creator rank. Would someone who is able be willing to join me in multiplayer and make a Star Rod?

I'm on PST time and would be able to join up with you in the evening, say 6pm or so.

And it would be nice to play in Multi-player finally!

PM Me in case I miss your message here. Thank you.

VandalD

What made me quit was how overpowered I was. It made the combat trivial. Only doing one or two lives will hopefully rein that in.

Why are names limited to six characters? Arg.

Can someone remind me... Are we able to recustomize the look of our character later? I can't remember what the hairdresser does.
You can change everything but your gender and name.

Zing

Banned
You can change everything but your gender and name.
Thanks. I managed to check the hairdresser again and saw it only affects hair (of course).

Anyway, going to spend most the day playing this with my girlfriend on sunday. I played a bit with my daughter but it didn't really feel right, probably because we were way overpowered, and also because we were at vastly different points in the story. This time, at least at the start, we are going to be progressing together.

I still don't get why avatar names are limited to six characters. Even pets can have more in their name!

Velcro Fly

So yeah regular enemies on Origin Island hitting me as hard as the Golden Dragon was.

Any tips on gear? Just grind out Blacksmith since I'm master at that and hope I can craft better gear? I'm using the Paladin hero set and even blocking stuff I take like 40 or 50 damage from enemies. Really frustrating that I haven't really had any chances to upgrade gear and the damage spiking is huge.

VandalD

So yeah regular enemies on Origin Island hitting me as hard as the Golden Dragon was.

Any tips on gear? Just grind out Blacksmith since I'm master at that and hope I can craft better gear? I'm using the Paladin hero set and even blocking stuff I take like 40 or 50 damage from enemies. Really frustrating that I haven't really had any chances to upgrade gear and the damage spiking is huge.
If you don't want to work on your blacksmithing right now, you could go to the shop in Rocky Hill Shrine (northeast section of Origin Island) and buying some Rune armor, but I'm not sure if that's better than the hero set. You can also occasionally find good gear in the red chests scattered around the island. Aside from that, you could bring an NPC ally or two around with you to help out. I think that becomes more of a thing they expect you to do in the DLC.

Velcro Fly

If you don't want to work on your blacksmithing right now, you could go to the shop in Rocky Hill Shrine (northeast section of Origin Island) and buying some Rune armor, but I'm not sure if that's better than the hero set. You can also occasionally find good gear in the red chests scattered around the island. Aside from that, you could bring an NPC ally or two around with you to help out. I think that becomes more of a thing they expect you to do in the DLC.

Yeah i was still on the story section so I had Dogu following me around and it was brutal. His attack is so slow and such short range he doesn't help at all.

I'm going to level my blacksmithing since I have plenty of ore. If nothing else it will be another Life I have at a high level.

And it was really only a few things that were knocking me around pretty good. But getting hit for like 80 or 90 damage by a ranged attack was quite the rude awakening haha. I know I have a better shield that I think is really good when I actually block so I might try that out later.

I did manage to get most of the paladin challenges done other than whatever dragon I'm going to have to kill. My team of Pino and Odin helped me big time against everything else I had to kill and it wasn't too bad. Might use them again as a baseline and see how it goes. It's actually way more fun having NPCs with you since their AI is actually pretty good.

VandalD

Yeah i was still on the story section so I had Dogu following me around and it was brutal. His attack is so slow and such short range he doesn't help at all.

I'm going to level my blacksmithing since I have plenty of ore. If nothing else it will be another Life I have at a high level.

And it was really only a few things that were knocking me around pretty good. But getting hit for like 80 or 90 damage by a ranged attack was quite the rude awakening haha. I know I have a better shield that I think is really good when I actually block so I might try that out later.

I did manage to get most of the paladin challenges done other than whatever dragon I'm going to have to kill. My team of Pino and Odin helped me big time against everything else I had to kill and it wasn't too bad. Might use them again as a baseline and see how it goes. It's actually way more fun having NPCs with you since their AI is actually pretty good.
Blacksmithing is extremely useful to have throughout the game, and essential for endgame if you stick with paladin or mercenary. I think you'll find it worth the time taken. The damage does ramp up quite a bit in the DLC. The toughest monsters in the game can two-shot me with their strongest attacks, while with the same gear, I take no damage from all of the regular enemies on Origin Island. With all the blocking I had to do, shield skill ended up being my first to 20.

I do appreciate the AI NPCs. They're very helpful. Their AI is decent enough. My main problem with them is how they tend to disengage an enemy pretty easily if you get too far away. Surrounding a boss is the best way to deal with most of them, but it can be easy to spread out too far, and they'll flock to me to take a hit I'm trying to tank for them. It gets worse when you play a ranged class, since you don't want to be up in a monster's face as a hunter or a magician. It'd also be nice to give them simple orders, like not attacking, so that you can accomplish a challenge without them killing something and without having to dismiss them.

Zing

Banned
Enjoying this game far more now that I am just focusing on a few lives. My old character is back to just paladin/blacksmith/miner and new character is alchemist/tailor.

I think what broke my back was cooking. There are so many recipes and only a few of them seemed useful, and the life challenges were a chore. The superior food was handy as a melee, but trying to juggle six lives was too much.

Zing

Banned
is it me or is the blacksmithing tap A weird? I have no trouble with the weaver and carpenter one, but blacksmith I need a specific timing otherwise it just doesn't work if I spam too fast.
Now that I am a tailor, I have also noticed this. The blacksmith "tap A" requires a specific timing, while the same step in sewing can simply be pressed as fast as possible. I guess there are slight variations between the various crafting, even when the same action is required.

Sewing has to be the most difficult/frustrating craft. It has two of the "press A when cursor is in the middle" steps. It seems that the "needle" (right) step moves the cursor faster than the "machine" (middle) step. Is it just my imagination?

I'm just now arriving at Port Puerto with my Alchemist/Tailor, and so tempted to start up Angler. I'm going to try to wait until after I complete chapter 2, though. I'm still considering what combat class I should be. Most likely Wizard, but Hunter sounds like a lot of fun as well.

VandalD

Now that I am a tailor, I have also noticed this. The blacksmith "tap A" requires a specific timing, while the same step in sewing can simply be pressed as fast as possible. I guess there are slight variations between the various crafting, even when the same action is required.

Sewing has to be the most difficult/frustrating craft. It has two of the "press A when cursor is in the middle" steps. It seems that the "needle" (right) step moves the cursor faster than the "machine" (middle) step. Is it just my imagination?

I'm just now arriving at Port Puerto with my Alchemist/Tailor, and so tempted to start up Angler. I'm going to try to wait until after I complete chapter 2, though. I'm still considering what combat class I should be. Most likely Wizard, but Hunter sounds like a lot of fun as well.
Not your imagination. The needle is definitely faster. Tailoring having two of that type of minigame pretty easily makes it my least favorite craft. It's too bad they didn't do more to differentiate the crafting. I can overlook mining and woodcutting being so similar since they're not nearly as tedious, and fishing is different enough from them to be its own thing. Different minigames and snappier menus/dialogs would've made crafting a lot less of a slog for people who want to eventually do everything. Ended up holding the X button a lot for this game.

Tailor goes perfectly with magician, of course, and being an alchemist will allow you to craft the many SP potions you'll want to have on you to keep casting spells through long fights. Hunter will be a bit more dependent on blacksmithing (only if you want to make your own equipment, of course), as I think their better armors come from smithing. But don't let that stop you. Only wrong way to play this game is in a way that's not fun to you.

Velcro Fly

My plan going forward:

1. Level up Mercenary, Carpenter, Woodcutter with my current STR/VIT build. My stats are all sorts of fucked up since I was way above level 50 when I beat the main story. I still need to chop down like 200 trees for that one challenge.

2. Pay the 30k Dosh to respec to stats that will help me level Magician and whatever other life that requires those stats. I need to make some kind of cloth and I can't buy it apparently and I need a bunch for Blacksmithing. Plus I have a ton of requests that are unfulfilled and many of them are quality sewing item requests.

3. Keep on plugging away at everything until all my jobs are maxed. Not sure how much further I'm going to go. At one point I wanted to level every skill to 20 but I'm not sure I have it in me.

I'm at around 74 hours right now and I feel like I could be done with every job to max in another 30 or so. Depends on how much I'll have to grind for materials for crafting. Haven't looked too far ahead to see what I'd need other than for that cloth for Blacksmithing.

Zing

Banned
Played with two other people for the first time and it was fun. One in the same room as me, and the other across town. Wow, sending messages in game is a pain. I can't understand why this doesn't use QWERTY. I had to give up and just send texts using my phone.

We did a run up to the top of Snowpeak and the waterfall cave. We are range of level from 15-24. I think our next destination is nautilus cave, or maybe the other one in the archipelago (I forget the name).

My daughter loved it. She is going a bit overboard with the lives, though. I think she has started every life except alchemist. I started Wizard and it is pretty fun to finally have something to do in combat other than slash with a dagger. As an Alchemist, I haven't even had any bombs to use since blue/red gel wasn't sold in shops until just today when I reached Al Majik.

Niraj

Played with two other people for the first time and it was fun. One in the same room as me, and the other across town. Wow, sending messages in game is a pain. I can't understand why this doesn't use QWERTY. I had to give up and just send texts using my phone.

Easily the worst part of the game

Zing

Banned
Hmm. The armor I can tailor that has the abilities "wind+" and such... Does that mean wind resistance, or a boost to my wind magic? I thought it was a boost, but I read a post that said otherwise.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Did a transfer from my old 3DS to my N3DS XL and for some reason Fantasy Life is the only game that doesn't work. I get an error to ask me to power off the device when I try to start the game:( My other two games don't have such a problem.

I also noticed that all my DLC was blanked (there are entries but no info's showing) in the data management screen so I deleted them all.

I did a PC transfer and still have my 3DS files on my PC though.

Am sad to lose my file of about 50 hours or more.

Velcro Fly

Crafting lives have really burned me out. I can combat until the cows come home. But crafting just wears me out. 90 hours in and have 8 or so jobs at demi-creator and tailoring is getting there. Taking a well needed break from the game for a little bit though. Have a bad feeling that cooking is going to grate on me too.

GeekyDad

Crafting lives have really burned me out. I can combat until the cows come home. But crafting just wears me out. 90 hours in and have 8 or so jobs at demi-creator and tailoring is getting there. Taking a well needed break from the game for a little bit though. Have a bad feeling that cooking is going to grate on me too.

That does sound more like a chore than a game. I've just been doing...kinda whatever in the game. Only tinkered with two lives thus far, and I'm able to get through the game okay. It's cute and surprisingly robust for a handheld game. At times it feels like a cutesy, micro Skyrim it's so vast.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yay, managed to get back my savedata after noticing what I did wrongly during my transfer:p

pariah164

I love crafting. The problem is I just bought my house/fast travel in Al Majiik, and that drained my funds completely. I'm always afraid to sell stuff, because what if I need it for a quest/craft? Then I'm screwed. I wish I could just craft all day and not worry about it.

Except for Alchemy. Alchemy can get fucked. Alchemy is good in other games, just not this one.

Velcro Fly

That does sound more like a chore than a game. I've just been doing...kinda whatever in the game. Only tinkered with two lives thus far, and I'm able to get through the game okay. It's cute and surprisingly robust for a handheld game. At times it feels like a cutesy, micro Skyrim it's so vast.

It's mostly like the process behind it.

I have to check my challenges. Each challenge is to make at least one item. Then I have to check how to even make the item and see what I still need to make said item. Sometimes it's string or buttons and sometimes they come from multiple different places. Buttons only sold in Port Puerto and then cloth I need to buy from Al Maajik. So I've begun just making a list of what I need to make and what I need to buy to make it. And sometimes I miscount or I forget things. I feel like challenges and what I need to fulfill them should have been readily available right in the crafting window and not something I check before I craft. The actual making things and leveling the Life isn't bad, it's just everything else I have to do to make it not frustrating for myself.

GeekyDad

... I feel like challenges and what I need to fulfill them should have been readily available right in the crafting window and not something I check before I craft. The actual making things and leveling the Life isn't bad, it's just everything else I have to do to make it not frustrating for myself.

I agree 100 percent, and I also think they should have had a bestiary that showed what the monsters drop, since their drops play such an integral role in crafting, etc. And honestly, the lack of those things is why I just resigned myself to take a more laid-back approach to the game, otherwise it would be too frustrating.

Niraj

I love crafting. The problem is I just bought my house/fast travel in Al Majiik, and that drained my funds completely. I'm always afraid to sell stuff, because what if I need it for a quest/craft? Then I'm screwed. I wish I could just craft all day and not worry about it.

Except for Alchemy. Alchemy can get fucked. Alchemy is good in other games, just not this one.

There's nothing aside from the character portraits that you can't obtain again though. Definitely not an issue with crafting materials. Some might require access to specific areas or bliss bonuses or maybe an enemy drop without those, but I really wouldn't worry about it.

pariah164

There's nothing aside from the character portraits that you can't obtain again though. Definitely not an issue with crafting materials. Some might require access to specific areas or bliss bonuses or maybe an enemy drop without those, but I really wouldn't worry about it.
Well, those and password items, I assume.

Zing

Banned
It's official: alchemist life is complete horseshit.

As a Tailor, if I want to make stuff, I head to a shop or two, and crank out almost anything I want. As an Alchemist, I have to travel to three different cities, several different stores, take notes as to where I can buy certain things, and even basic ingredients are a pain to find. Despite getting recipes requiring Mysterious Objects early on, they were not found anywhere until I reached Al Maajik and unlocked it with the shopping+ bliss reward. Even just trying to make HP/SP potions has me running around trying to find the relevant springwater. Anything adept or higher seems to require ingredients that are only dropped by mobs.

This is worse than cooking. At least cooking was simply tedious with all the recipes, but you could still easily make anything you wanted by fishing and shopping.

If you want to blacksmith, you mine. If you want carpentry, you woodcut. Tailor, you buy. Cooking, you fish and shop at your kitchen. Alchemist? You have go explore every inch of the world and hope you get lucky? Fun.

Velcro Fly

Alchemist I just saved until the end of the game. I was good enough to make hi-sp potions and life cures in bunches. After that I said fuck it since I never used bombs and they other stuff I was making wasn't that great. I got lucky I guess and didn't have to really grind very many monster drops to level it up.

Think after I get stuff done on this game I'm going to move on to Rune Factory 4. I played RF3 but it just was kinda meh for me. I liked a lot of the characters in the game but just never played it too much. Hearing people say it compares similarly to this has my interest though.

VandalD

Alchemist I just saved until the end of the game. I was good enough to make hi-sp potions and life cures in bunches. After that I said fuck it since I never used bombs and they other stuff I was making wasn't that great. I got lucky I guess and didn't have to really grind very many monster drops to level it up.

Think after I get stuff done on this game I'm going to move on to Rune Factory 4. I played RF3 but it just was kinda meh for me. I liked a lot of the characters in the game but just never played it too much. Hearing people say it compares similarly to this has my interest though.
I'm inclined to say RF4 is the better game between it and FL, but I haven't beaten RF4 yet, and I've had it a lot longer. Meanwhile, I've nearly done everything you can do in FL. I guess I prefer FL's slower, more focused combat to what can turn into just a spamfest in RF4. I can't speak to RF3, but if you like FL, I can't see why you wouldn't like RF4, unless you really don't like the art style or the combat turns you off.

Top Bottom