• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

Ants

Nitty gritty mechanical questions that might have an answer for this type of game:

Do the buffs from food enhance crafting? If I eat something that increases Focus and Dexterity, do I make better food?

In the same vein, does a class' specific clothes affect the abilities of that class?

Chaos17

1. Higher your stats will be, the easier you will be able to craft. So you will be able to get better quality items.
2. Yes, since it follows the same rule as I mentionned above.

When you suck in a stat and try to craft/mine/fish/cut you will REALLY feel it xD

I am having a problem with this game and I hope someone can help. I am a cook and I want to go to a different town, namely port Puerto, does anyone know how I do that?

Ants

I've been playing Fantasy Life a lot more recently; I just opened up Port Puerto but I've been more concerned with trying to explore and doing challenges/quests. It's so good. My main class is Mercenary but I got the licenses for all the resource gathering and item-making Lifes.

Is there an easy way to do the Elder log challenges, or is it really just hope and pray?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I've been playing Fantasy Life a lot more recently; I just opened up Port Puerto but I've been more concerned with trying to explore and doing challenges/quests. It's so good. My main class is Mercenary but I got the licenses for all the resource gathering and item-making Lifes.

Is there an easy way to do the Elder log challenges, or is it really just hope and pray?

Raise your luck and always use the charge move or special move to finish chopping the tree.

Chaos17

RIP my interest in Fantasy Life II.

tumblr_inline_n3qmp5OGja1raprkq.gif

Linius

I'm mostly just sad. And angry. And disappointed.

The prospect of having a sequel on the 3DS some time next year was just too good.

Elija2

I finally unlocked Origin Island. And geez, the amount of exposition when you unlock it is just insane. I swear it goes on for over an hour. Not even the witty writing could save it from being boring.

Velcro Fly

Looking forward to jumping back into this game this summer. Between work, Smash, and the onslaught of other 3DS games coming out, I got stopped around 40 hours into this. Definitely mean to finish it.

Shizuka

How active is the online for this game nowadays? I missed the opportunity of getting the game at launch since it came out at the same time as Bayonetta 2, but I want to right my wrong.

TheMoon

How active is the online for this game nowadays? I missed the opportunity of getting the game at launch since it came out at the same time as Bayonetta 2, but I want to right my wrong.

There is no way for this to be "active" really. Are you saying you want to play this with random people?

Shizuka

There is no way for this to be "active" really. Are you saying you want to play this with random people?

I'm not sure how online works, except that it's a thing. Why isn't there a way for online to be "active"? Why wouldn't I want to play this with random people?

Elija2

I'm not sure how online works, except that it's a thing. Why isn't there a way for online to be "active"? Why wouldn't I want to play this with random people?

You can't play with randoms, you have to add people to your 3DS' friends list before you can play with them.

TheMoon

Because this is an RPG/do whatever sim that you can play co-op with friends. It's not an MMO or a deathmatch game.

GeekyDad

LTTP, but really enjoying it so far. I forgot how incredibly charming Level-5 can be. The music and sound effects are especially excellent. Only complaint so far is there are too many chatty Kathies.

Adamator

I few months ago I beat the main game with a Paladin so I could just have most of the world open and could freely play my different Lives, but then I took a break from the game.

Now I need to unlock the DLC content and I need to power level to 50. What is a good (i.e. fast) way to do this?

Elija2

I few months ago I beat the main game with a Paladin so I could just have most of the world open and could freely play my different Lives, but then I took a break from the game.

Now I need to unlock the DLC content and I need to power level to 50. What is a good (i.e. fast) way to do this?

Grinding the Napdragon is a pretty quick way to level up. Beat him, sleep until the next day so he respawns, rinse and repeat.

Adamator

Grinding the Napdragon is a pretty quick way to level up. Beat him, sleep until the next day so he respawns, rinse and repeat.

Really? if I recall, I fought him once during the progression of the story and it seemed to take FOREVER. Killing him is good way to level?

Thank you though!

Elija2

Really? if I recall, I fought him once during the progression of the story and it seemed to take FOREVER. Killing him is good way to level?

Thank you though!

Well hopefully you've gotten stronger by then. Bring some good companions with you and he shouldn't be too hard to take down. As you level up he'll progressively get easier to beat so by the end you'll be taking him down in seconds.

Adamator

I was wondering about something this morning: Some guides say to do quests to level, but does that include the challenges from your life master? Do you actually get EXP for doing those, or just Stars to rank up?

Or when they say quests, do they mean just the random quests from people around the world?

Niraj

I was wondering about something this morning: Some guides say to do quests to level, but does that include the challenges from your life master? Do you actually get EXP for doing those, or just Stars to rank up?

Or when they say quests, do they mean just the random quests from people around the world?

You gain experience for pretty much everything you do. For example, when I leveled to 200, I did it by catching a fish.

Adamator

I watched my exp as I turned in some challenges from my Paladin master and my exp didn't move. However that being said, I got a lot of exp just completing the challenges themselves (via killing the mobs for the challenge, etc.) so I'm enjoying knocking them out. I just hit Hero rank and got some nice gear as a reward too!

I didn't expect to get back into this game right now but I'm really loving it again. I remember it being featured so much at last year's E3 Treehouse and how excited I was to play it. Well, I thought. I have it now, so why not play more of it?

Niraj

I watched my exp as I turned in some challenges from my Paladin master and my exp didn't move. However that being said, I got a lot of exp just completing the challenges themselves (via killing the mobs for the challenge, etc.) so I'm enjoying knocking them out. I just hit Hero rank and got some nice gear as a reward too!

I didn't expect to get back into this game right now but I'm really loving it again. I remember it being featured so much at last year's E3 Treehouse and how excited I was to play it. Well, I thought. I have it now, so why not play more of it?

Oh yes, sorry. Yeah turning them in won't gain you experience, but the act of completing the requirements certainly will. It's very nice when you're crafting or gathering materials too since you're accomplishing multiple things at once. The game is really good at that.

Thinking about picking this up or Animal Crossing - my one concern with Fantasy Life, which I am otherwise leaning towards, is I've read in reviews there is a TON of dialogue, more than most J-RPG/sim type games (and that's saying something).

As someone who zones out after the first couple of 'next' clicks and then angrily mashes the text boxes away - how long is it before all this goes away and they let you get on with the game, or does it ever go away even?

This is my one deciding factor in getting this game or not.

Chaos17

Thinking about picking this up or Animal Crossing - my one concern with Fantasy Life, which I am otherwise leaning towards, is I've read in reviews there is a TON of dialogue, more than most J-RPG/sim type games (and that's saying something).

As someone who zones out after the first couple of 'next' clicks and then angrily mashes the text boxes away - how long is it before all this goes away and they let you get on with the game, or does it ever go away even?

This is my one deciding factor in getting this game or not.

The reviews are just being over dramatic.
The average time of an arc story is 1 hour long (don't do all the the tutorials job at the begining at once unless you'r prepared).
It's a light hearted story so a some people here on GAF disliked it finding it unisteresting.

You're free to do whatever you want between each story arc. They're just there to introdue you a new era and lore.
My advice, when you feel that the story is boring you, just take a break and come back 10 mins later. That game can burn you with all the tasks you're able to do.

Animal crossing is game that you play just 5 or 10 mins a day because there isn't much to do, it's just for relaxing before going to bed (I've it).
Also you've to wait for the content to be unlocked little by little (it's locked behind real life calendar).
For my point of view, don't play Animal crossing if you're not ready be commited to it otherwise, it will take longer to unlock things.
Example : you've to talking during 10 (real life) days an NPC to unlock the custom pattern machine.
Don't try to cheat by advancing the clock on your 3DS, the game will find a way to punish you.

Be aware that Fantasy Life is an offline mmorpg, so the focus of the game is the gameplay, farming, crafting, taking down bosses.
Animal crossing is a 100% life simulation game with no other thing than being the janitor-mayor of your town.
If you want a mix of both there is Rune factory 4 : social + gameplay.

Thanks for the explanation. I've played a couple of the previous AC games and Rune Factory on the Wii and enjoyed the both but quickly became bored of them. I'll take into consideration what you said about the tutorial stuff in Fantasy Life, very helpful :)

Chaos17

Thanks for the explanation. I've played a couple of the previous AC games and Rune Factory on the Wii and enjoyed the both but quickly became bored of them. I'll take into consideration what you said about the tutorial stuff in Fantasy Life, very helpful :)

Yeah being commited to a calendar real or not can get pretty quick boring.
Fortunally, Fantasy Life is not restrcited like them. It will be up to you to make your own pacing.

My advices :

1) The core of the game is outside of the story, so don't hesitate to explore.

2) To not get burn > pick up the life style you like, you don't need to do all the jobs if you don't like but remember that's one of the main feature of the game > leveling up jobs.

3) Recommended pacing > do all your jobs quests until they ask you new material that you doesn't have access to then advance the story. So you will be less annoyed by it if you don't like the story.

4) Don't be suprised by the weak story bosses, that's normal, you will be probably over leveled and it's to allow none combat job to progress through the story too.

5) The begining of the game may feel long but really it's 45 mins - 1 hour long (the story), it's because of the tutorials jobs that it will take a bit longer (average tutorial time is between 30 to 45 mins). You can skip the tutorials after doing 1 jobs tutorials but I don't advice you because many Gaffers did and came here to ask "how do you fish again ? I don't know cause I skipped the tuto"

6) Difficulty will pick up toward the end of the game and through the expansion. I'm saying this in case you're an hardcore gamers who leveled up too much like we did, lol.

Final advice, take your time, do what you like and explore :)
The only thing that will temporary limit you is the story to unlock new areas.
Don't do all the story at once or be prepared to rant (told ya it's a light hearted story so nothing really awesome/dark/surprising will happen).

Adamator

Me again. I finished leveling to 50 by pretty much committing Napdragon genocide and got access to Origin Island. Can't express how much I am loving this game again, and I am just (for now!) sticking with my Paladin. I have about 4 lives I will eventually go back to and level up. I got a lot of games in my back log, but I just want to keep playing this for now!

I've never gotten to play multiplayer online. Does anyone here regularly go online to play? if so, I'd like to friend some of you so maybe we can play online sometime.

Is there a friend code exchange specifically for this game?

Chaos17

Me again. I finished leveling to 50 by pretty much committing Napdragon genocide and got access to Origin Island. Can't express how much I am loving this game again, and I am just (for now!) sticking with my Paladin. I have about 4 lives I will eventually go back to and level up. I got a lot of games in my back log, but I just want to keep playing this for now!

I've never gotten to play multiplayer online. Does anyone here regularly go online to play? if so, I'd like to friend some of you so maybe we can play online sometime.

Is there a friend code exchange specifically for this game?

Co-op is fun but it makes the game pretty easy specialy with 3 players.
2 it's ok (depending of the level though).

My chara is pretty high level (110+) so that won't be fun for you that I one shot everything at your level, lol

Still, if you like you can PM me if you want later play together when you will be higher level.

Velcro Fly

Finally playing the game again.

Found a pretty decent list of challenges for each life so I'm able to just pick one and go.

Almost level 39 right now. Fishing is still really fun! :D

Navi

About to start back playing. But Im going to restart. Interesting in visiting others and playing with them as well.

Velcro Fly

Mastered a few jobs. Close to being Master woodcutter. Think I'll do the combat jobs next.

Close to level 42. I know I still have a bit of the main story left. Just trying to level my jobs up right now. Miner/Blacksmith/Paladin for life though.

Velcro Fly

I cheated a little and put in a password for a costume i knew would give me a ton of magic attack. Helping out big time with raising my Magician life. It's actually fun. I thought it would suck. And killing wraiths is also fun. I make potions to prepare, go out and fight, and cash in the bounty. I got a rare rod from an Ice Spooky bounty too.

i think i might just focus on gathering lives, blacksmithing, and paladin and just go ahead and beat the game. I can respec after i beat the game right? I imagine that would definitely help me with cooking, alchemy, and tailoring.

haven't played in months and i'm already back to being addicted again. glad i have the rest of summer to play this haha.

Top Bottom