• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 PC specs announced

Parl

I'm running on a 2.66 GHz P4, 1 GB RAM and a GeForce FX 5200 gfx card.

Well, at least I can run the installation.

TheExodu5

Banned
godhandiscen said:
At least you understand. Watch the Crysis Graphics Defense Force show up and try to convince you that Crysis is actually displaying effects that are worth the hardware it cripples. BTW, I love Crysis, I just think it doesn't perform like it should.

Why don't you try playing the game on Medium Shaders? Crysis is coded just fine.

Medium still looks as good as any other game, and runs at about 60fps on an 8800gt machine.

derder

TheExodu5 said:
Why don't you try playing the game on Medium Shaders? Crysis is coded just fine.

Medium still looks as good as any other game, and runs at about 60fps on an 8800gt machine.

bingo

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
TheExodu5 said:

Because I am a graphics whore. Anyway, the 4870x2 will give me the performance I want in Crysis, so there is no point in keep arguing.

TheExodu5

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Because I am a graphics whore. Anyway, the 4870x2 will give me the performance I want in Crysis, so there is no point in keep arguing.

Yeah that's the point though. You can't say it's coded badly when on High it looks beyond any game out there, and on Medium when matched graphically to other games like CoD4, it runs just as well.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that I think the game sucks. :p

godhandiscen

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah that's the point though. You can't say it's coded badly when on High it looks beyond any game out there, and on Medium when matched graphically to other games like CoD4, it runs just as well.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that I think the game sucks. :p
Open the console see all the shit that fails to load (I have 8GB so there is no excuse). Customize the variables, obtain a better performance with similar image quality. There are many things that are wrong with it. I don't want to keep arguing about this. I can play Crysis fine, I just think that if I didn't have the kind of hardware that I have, I wouldn't even be able to enjoy it, and that sucks because I know what is to have lame hardware (when I was a kid).

Kimi said:
For those planning to play on PC, here they are!

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:

CPU: Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, Pentium D 2.66 Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ or better

RAM: 1 GB

Video card: NVidia 6800 or ATI X1650 or better
Shader Model 3 required
256 Mb of graphic memory

Media reader: DVD-ROM

Hard drive space: ~12 Gig of HD space. (TBD)

RECOMMENDED:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Family, AMD 64 X2 5200+, AMD Phenom or better

RAM: 2 GB

Video card: NVidia 8600 GTS or better, ATI X1900 or better
512 Mb of graphic memory

Sound: 5.1 sound card recommended

SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS:

NVidia 6800, NVidia 7000 series, 8000 series, 9000 series, 200 series. 8800M and 8700M supported for laptops.
ATI X1650 – 1950 series, HD2000 series, HD3000 series, HD4000 series.

I guess this means my pc connected to my big hdtv will handle this nicely. Thanks to my QX9650@4.4ghz, EVGA9800GX2 1GB Vidcard and 2GB DDR3 ram, FarCry 2 will be rendered nicely on my HDTV.

Home Theater PC's are the shit!!! Best thing since sliced bread :D

Mash

VictimOfGrief said:
There won't be a demo---- as Ubi has already stated that a while ago.

No worries anyway, if I need to upgrade my processor I will do when I can afford it, still going to buy this at launch.

Cheeto

jaypah said:
unless we'll all be playing at your house i don't see why that matters.
When the minimum specs require hardware years older than the current generation consoles, I don't see how anyone can bitch.

Mr.Potato Head said:
I guess this means my pc connected to my big hdtv will handle this nicely. Thanks to my QX9650@4.4ghz, EVGA9800GX2 1GB Vidcard and 2GB DDR3 ram, FarCry 2 will be rendered nicely on my HDTV.

Home Theater PC's are the shit!!! Best thing since sliced bread :D

I'm pretty sure you can't consider that an HTPC just because it hooks up to your TV.

I have a similar setup with less power than yours and I hardly consider my computer an HTPC despite the fact that I have a tuner and it hooks up to my TV.

bee

godhandiscen said:
Open the console see all the shit that fails to load (I have 8GB so there is no excuse). Customize the variables, obtain a better performance with similar image quality. There are many things that are wrong with it. I don't want to keep arguing about this. I can play Crysis fine, I just think that if I didn't have the kind of hardware that I have, I wouldn't even be able to enjoy it, and that sucks because I know what is to have lame hardware (when I was a kid).

quit whining about it, try opening the console in other games and you'll see its the same story there with stuff failing to load especially in the source engine but even in ue3 engined games when you enable the console, fuck even quake 3 still fails to load lots of stuff

console variables have always made games run faster, back in quake 3 days there were so many fps tweaks it was unreal, /s_mixahead anyone?

none of it is new or exclusive to the cryengine 2 and im sure far cry 2 will suffer from the same things

Formless

Should a Pentium D 3.4 ghz fit into the recommended specs? I've got the rest of the recommended specs (Almost exactly except for I have more RAM)

jaypah

Cheeto said:
When the minimum specs require hardware years older than the current generation consoles, I don't see how anyone can bitch.

bitch? well, no. but be disappointed that they don't have a rig up to snuff? sure, why not?

"damn, i can't run this" and the response is basically, "lol stfu noob! i can run a real world simulator on my PC". yeah. classy.

that's like someone saying they can't read the text on Dead Rising and the response being, "lol, i've had an HDTV for 5 years NOOB!" which is fine and good, really. still doesn't change my particular problem any.

no biggie though. just an observation.

Cheeto

jaypah said:
bitch? well, no. but be disappointed that they don't have a rig up to snuff? sure, why not?

"damn, i can't run this" and the response is basically, "lol stfu noob! i can run a real world simulator on my PC". yeah. classy.

that's like someone saying they can't read the text on Dead Rising and the response being, "lol, i've had an HDTV for 5 years NOOB!" which is fine and good, really. still doesn't change my particular problem any.

no biggie though. just an observation.
The problem equates to someone asking, "Why can't I play Halo 3 on my Xbox 1!? Fuck this!" How would this forum react to a question like that?

jaypah

Cheeto said:
The problem equates to someone asking, "Why can't I play Halo 3 on my Xbox 1!? Fuck this!" How would this forum react to a question like that?

no, at the time that comment was made only one poster had said anything of the sort and it was, "fuck dat". with no other context. so this is like someone hearing of a game and then finding out it's not coming to their platform. but like i said, no biggie.

Minsc

Gold Member
Affinity said:

Maybe just wait for the benchmarks? They'll come out quickly, for this game anyway. Unfortunately that isn't true of most PC games though.

I agree with the thought though. If not a benchmark demo like DMC4 had, I'd appreciate actual benchmarking done by the devs.

SRG01

Doesn't recommended usually mean low settings at min resolution at about 20fps or so? That seems to be my experience.

Cheeto

SRG01 said:
Doesn't recommended usually mean low settings at min resolution at about 20fps or so? That seems to be my experience.
I've found recommended to be a low to medium experience, while minimum is the absolute bare bones hardware to get the game even boot.

godhandiscen

SRG01 said:
Yep. I've always found recommended to perform slightly worse than on consoles.

Broseybrose

madmook said:
Damn I have an X2 5000+ so close.... at least my 4850 won't be holding me back.
i have an X2 5000+ also w an 8800GTX. the X2 5000+ and the X2 5200+ both run at 2.6GHz, so we have the recommended. but ill still be OCing my cpu for good measure.

Vaporak

As expected, the specs are pretty much the same as all the other console ports. I'll throw in that min specs have pretty much always been accurate for me and my aging computer. You just have to realize that min spec doesn't mean low setting + high resolution, it means minimum settings and minimum resolution, just like the name says.

Top Bottom