• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Ledsen

Alright! Sharing time, let's go!

50-60 fps settings

2500k @ 4.5 GHz
GTX 560Ti @ stock with beta drivers
8 GB RAM

Triple buffered Vsync through D3DOverrider
16xAF High Quality through nVidia Inspector

The following settings:

(Note: SSAO is disabled in C:\Users\Name\Documents\my games\Far Cry 3\GamerProfile.xml)

farcry3_d3d112012-11-zdo7t.png

farcry3_d3d112012-11-5dpyb.png

And here are some screenshots (they don't show the frame counter, but they're all 60 fps):

And here's my post from earlier about some important settings:

Ledsen said:
I've found a few settings that are key to maintaining a high fps on a medium-range system. They are

- SSAO
SSAO -> HDAO takes 7-8 fps right off. SSAO looks like shit. Just disable it.

- Shadows
Lowering it to medium from high did wonders.

- Post-process FX
Same as shadows, medium works MUCH better than high.

- MSAA
Holy shit what a performance hog. Even 2xMSAA shaves ~10 fps off the top... wow.

- Surprisingly, putting "Alpha to Coverage" (foliage AA basically) from "off" to "enhanced" gives me only a 2-3 fps hit! It does A LOT for the image quality, since it greatly reduces shimmering in trees and foliage. So I recommend cranking that one up to maxium. I can't stress enough how much better it makes the game look, especially if you don't enable MSAA (which you probably shouldn't with a mid-range system).
EDIT! Since I wrote this, I've tried turning AtC off, and I have to admit I may have exaggerated the effect. I left it off, and instead turned on HDAO. HDAO has a huge impact on the depth of any scene, since it adds lots of subtle shadowing to the environments. The trade-off was worth it.

Great stuff from your rig, Ledsen, and thanks for the info. Going to see what I can get with a 660ti/3570k. My only concern was 1080p and maintaining 60fps. Also, going to be OC'ing my 660ti on MSI Afterburner to 123% power limit @_@

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Thanks Ledsen! You sold me. I have a similar rig except I have an i5 750. I am thinking I should be pretty happy.

Does Far Cry 3 have Triple Buffering in its settings and if so, did you compare it's performance to D3DO?

Thanks Ledsen! You sold me. I have a similar rig except I have an i5 750. I am thinking I should be pretty happy.

Does Far Cry 3 have Triple Buffering in its settings and if so, did you compare it's performance to D3DO?

It doesn't have it in the settings; For me running D3DO with both Triple and Vsync forced has helped performance.

Maybe it's me but there's something weird about the Vsync in that game as well. I'm not as versed in how all the different things interact though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Good work Ledsen, incidentally that first pic you took I also managed to snap a shot from almost the exact same spot although with all settings max.

For the sake of comparison.

Corky

What's your rig and performance, Corky?

2600@4.7ghz, OC'ed 670.

Performance in that pic was 20 fps if I recall correctly. Ultra preset, 4x msaa, max alpha coverage, hdao@ 3200x1800 resoultion

After tweaking I'm at 60 fps, ultra preset, no msaa, max alpha coverage, no ao@ 2560x1440 resolution. Shame that the only worthwhile ao, which ironically happens to be the most subtle one compared to other games, also requires dx11 and a huge and unjustifiable performance hit. The game, in particular the foliage, feels a bit flat now that I'm running no ao but if that's the price then that's the price.

Ledsen

Good work Ledsen, incidentally that first pic you took I also managed to snap a shot from almost the exact same spot although with all settings max.

For the sake of comparison.

Honestly the only difference I can see is the AO in your pic.

Dynamic3

Alright! Sharing time, let's go!

50-60 fps settings

2500k @ 4.5 GHz
GTX 560Ti @ stock with beta drivers
8 GB RAM

Triple buffered Vsync through D3DOverrider
16xAF High Quality through nVidia Inspector

The following settings:

(Note: SSAO is disabled in C:UsersNameDocumentsmy gamesFar Cry 3GamerProfile.xml)

And here are some screenshots (they don't show the frame counter, but they're all 60 fps):

And here's my post from earlier about some important settings:

What's the benefit of using D3D vsync as opposed to the in-game option?

Corky

Honestly the only difference I can see is the AO in your pic.

The differences are there, outside of less aliasing due to AA and downsampling, things like object lod drawdistance, shadow resolution, etc, although in the endI think they're rather small and insignificant ingame and nowhere near worth their performancehit.

Desaan

FC3 overall looks pretty ass, some terrible LOD especially on medium distance grass/foiliage. Even if you have a system capable running it maxed out the differences are minor, some settings have mind boggling performance hits for almost no visual gain. Good job it's fun to play otherwise I'd be tagging this one as 'lolconsoleport'.

Sethos

Banned
It's sad when you measure changes in settings by your temps, rather than FPS :p

Set 'Alpha to Coverage' on enhanced and AO to HDAO instead of HBAO, which meant a 3* increase in temps from 60* to 63* and now I have *gasp* good looking AO instead of that ghostly shit.

FXAA removes jaggies but it also makes everything really blurry. If you compare screenshots it's very obvious. SMAA works similarly, but looks much better and doesn't blur nearly as much. I don't know if the SMAA injector works here though.

But in some games it's more noticeable than others. Very noticeable on Skyrim, but virtually no difference on Borderlands 2. In the case of Far Cry 3, I'm hardly finding the IQ blurry. I'm being honest. Obviously other methods will provide even better IQ. But due to the art style, I think FXAA works very well here. I've never tried SMAA before, only got my 600 series card yesterday, how's the performance hit (edit: in general, not in particular with this game)?

FC3 overall looks pretty ass, some terrible LOD especially on medium distance grass/foiliage. Even if you have a system capable running it maxed out the differences are minor, some settings have mind boggling performance hits for almost no visual gain. Good job it's fun to play otherwise I'd be tagging this one as 'lolconsoleport'.

We haven't been looking at the same game apparently.

Sethos

Banned
We haven't been looking at the same game apparently.

Apparently not, as he's right. The game isn't that visually appealing, massively inconsistent, lots of obvious port drawbacks and console limitations.

If the game wasn't actually as good as it is, I'd laugh at it from here to judgement day.

Portugeezer

Anyone have any good SweetFX settings? The game has a very green tint to it, but I prefer a warmer tint but can't quite manage to make it look right.

Apparently not, as he's right. The game isn't that visually appealing, massively inconsistent, lots of obvious port drawbacks and console limitations.

If the game wasn't actually as good as it is, I'd laugh at it from here to judgement day.

Yeah, you're right. The game looks like shit.

2x 690 (GPU Usage around 50%)

i7 3820 @ 4.7

2560X1600

FOV 110

All settings maxed except no MSAA

Performance is mostly 60fps, occasionally 45, rarely 30fps.

edit: I agree that the game isn't a looker, could've mistaken some scenes with blops 2.

i5 2320 3.00GHz
560Ti factory OC
8GB RAM

Decided I would play the intro sequence in DX11 with HBAO (or whatever the one above SSAO is) and it actually ran surprisingly well.

1080p with all settings on high except for post fx and shadows which were on medium, as well as alpha coverage on enhanced and driver FXAA. It never dropped below 40fps the whole time, usually was hovering around 50. I then did the first couple of tutorial missions and it still never dropped below 40.

I've since gone down to DX9 for the slight performance boost. Now looking at a solid 60 almost constantly.

Game's fun too.

Edit: There isn't a tweak to skip the intro logos floating around is there? I'm guessing not since it actually seems to do a fair bit of loading right off the bat when you launch it.

NBtoaster

I've settled on DX9, HDAO, 1080p, everything set to the highest except postfx which is on medium. Solid 60, running borderless window and with 60fps cap through nvidia inspector.

PostFX is either really demanding or unoptimised, they need to fix that or seperate into more options. I'd like to turn off the motion blur but improve the AO quality.

Sethos

Banned
DX11, HDAO, 1600p, Everything max except PostFX and Shadows to High, Alpha to Coverage on Enhanced and I'm getting a rock solid 60 with my GPU not making any noise at 65* average. Definitely my sweet spot and I'm happy that I could do HDAO because HBAO / SSAO looks like pure dog shit, worst AO implementation I've seen in any game to date.

Now, if my game would stop crashing during load after having been killed - Thanfully I don't die much at all but those rare occasion, a crash is pretty annoying. Also need a proper AA solution.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
While this may be a "lolconsoleport", it certainly looks a hell of a lot better than its console brethren on a decent rig. That certainly helps.

Zophop

Modified the SLI bits (thanks!) and dropped the post processing down to medium and now I'm getting a solid 90+ at all times at 2560x1440. Took it a step further and enabled 2x MSAA and the game was still maintaining a constant 60+. Even with 4x MSAA enabled the games yet to drop below 50 FPS.

8x isn't quite doable, not unless you can handle playing at 30 fps but boy does it it look pretty.

Drazgul

Anyone have issues with blood spatter sometimes being massively oversaturated? This happens only at night, and not all the time, but when it does you can see the blood really far away since it's anywhere from bright orange to white in color.

Using the 310.64 beta drivers in DX11 mode, GTX 570/Win7.

Ledsen

OC:d my Gpu slightly, lowered foliage aa to standard and managed to enable HDAO while still maintaining 50-60 fps :D Looks so much better than SSAO...

Zeliard

I can't tell if this game has a big problem with GPU overclocks or if it's just generally unstable, but I get lots of crashes. I've had stretches where I can play for a couple hours straight and then others where it crashes after 3 minutes. Installed the patch and everything, so I dunno.

And yeah, the AO effects are terribly-implemented in this game outside of HDAO. Either use HDAO or disable it completely.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So is anyone getting the annoying problem of micro stuttering?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b171isQbROo

I saw a 2 page thread in the official UBI forums of people having the same issue with tons of different hardware. (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/730854-Micro-stuttering)

Yes. 660ti here, no matter what I've tried (all vsync settings, all buffer settings, using DXTory to limit framebuffer to 30 and 60), nothing gets rid of it.

It's not as bad as Skyrim or the Fallouts for me (which DXTory frame limiting fixes), so I've just gotten used to it.

I'd love to see it fixed though.

Milamber

Did anyone use the Nvidia 310.64 BETA drivers released yesterday on Far Cry 3?

I'm planning to get the game this sunday, but I'm not very hopeful I'll be able to play it on high. Here's my specs...

Intel C2D E6750 2.66GHz
6 GB DDR2 RAM
MSI GTX 460 Hawk

Sethos

Banned
For the people with microstutter, have you tried setting your GPU 'Power Mangement Mode' in Nvidia Inspector to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' ? It's a shot in the dark but that is known to cause issues if the card is being taxed but at the same time trying to speedstep itself, so to speak which leads to stuttering.

Ledsen

Okay, so I disabled Alpha to Cover completely in favor of HDAO to maintain 50-60 fps target. Have to say it was really worth it. HDAO adds much-needed depth, and both SSAO and HBAO look horrendous.

Okay, so I disabled Alpha to Cover completely in favor of HDAO to maintain 50-60 fps target. Have to say it was really worth it. HDAO adds much-needed depth, and both SSAO and HBAO look horrendous.

Forgive me for being a bit of a philistine here, but what exactly do any of these AO settings mean or do?

scitek

You can apparently toggle the different kinds of AO in DX9, too. 1, 2, and 3 in the config. I honestly have no idea which is which, but 2 kills my framerate, and 1 and 3 give me 60fps.

Top Bottom