• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

My GPU is all over the place with this game. Any ideas why? I tried V-Sync on and off, windowed and fullscreen and it is still the same. The game is also stuttering like crazy.

specs:
2600k @ 4.2ghz
AMD 7950 3gb
8GB RAM

Even with everything on lowest and no dx11, it is still like that.

You've got almost the same set up as me, just swap the 2600 for a 2500k, I'll be testing mine tonight when the last gig downloads (had to verify some corrupt files :( ).
If you post your in game settings I can try those out and see how it goes (I'll also be running off an SSD for the slight load improvement)

spk

1920x1200, DX11, no msaa (game uses some kind of smaa), SSAO, Fov=85, Settings ultra but shadows on high. Using only 2x480GTX, perfect 60 fps every time in singleplayer (first 2 hours) and co-op.

SLI DX10 compat. bits changed to 0x0C1902F5 for fix dinamic decals sli bug.

First shot direct feed, others downsampled with IrfanView

Did you really need to post 30 images

Tattooth

You've got almost the same set up as me, just swap the 2600 for a 2500k, I'll be testing mine tonight when the last gig downloads (had to verify some corrupt files :( ).
If you post your in game settings I can try those out and see how it goes (I'll also be running off an SSD for the slight load improvement)

Actually mine is a 2500k as well. I tried pretty much all of the preset settings with no AA. I'm also running off an SSD.

Bliany

I'm really wondering if it would be worth buying this game to play on my 2010 Macbook Pro. I'm running boot camp Windows 7 with an Nvidia 330m, 4gb ram, and Intel i7 2.7 quad.

Any ideas on what kind of performance I would get would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ledsen

I have an
I5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz
16Gb DDR3 RAM (Cant remember the hz)

now this is the part I'm worried about
Nvidia GTS 250 1Gb

Will this card be able to handle Far Cry 3 ? I'm in the middle of upgrading but I wondered if you guys knew how much pressure this game puts on the GPU ?

it'll be a complete disaster. get it on console or wait until you're finished upgrading.

Did you really need to post 30 images

Why not? He quoted them, so that's fine in my book.

Glass Rebel

I was worried but the reports on the 670 performance seem to be mostly good. Since I probably won't be downsampling I expect 60fps on some high/ultra settings. Next year.

Momentary

Banned
Hmmm... looks like I better wait until 2014 for Maxwell to hit before building my dream rig for next gen gaming. Seeing the numbers for this game running in SLI definitely has me uneasy about putting $4k on a water cool build using the 600 or 700 series.

I won't be back from deployment until March. So I guess waiting a year for Maxwell wouldn't hurt. I can't even get the game unless I can get a hitch a ride on a convoy to the nearest Air Force or Army base and bum off their internet services. I could have my significant other send me a physical copy; though, I'm going to hate having to play games on my Asus g74 for the next year and some change. I doubt that even a GTX560m can run the Far Cry 3 on medium settings at 720p30fps.

SteveWD40

Anyone got any anecdotal evidence to how us laptop scrubs might be able to play this?

I am used to being able to run "multiplatforms" at above Xbox levels on my core i5 with Mobility HD 5650 (1gb), so Skyrim etc... all fine.

Would I be able to scale this game down and run it at 30fps (using a controller so that's fine)? 1366x768, medium details, dx9, most post processing off.

Ledsen

Anyone got any anecdotal evidence to how us laptop scrubs might be able to play this?

I am used to being able to run "multiplatforms" at above Xbox levels on my core i5 with Mobility HD 5650 (1gb), so Skyrim etc... all fine.

Would I be able to scale this game down and run it at 30fps (using a controller so that's fine)? 1366x768, medium details, dx9, most post processing off.

5650m? I have a laptop with that card, it's pretty much crap nowadays and Far Cry 3 is a lot more demanding than most games. On my desktop I get 60 fps in Skyrim with everything on max settings, in Far Cry 3 I get 40 fps with only High settings (there's also Very High and Ultra settings) and no AA in DX9 . You may be ok but you'll probably have to put some or all settings on low.

SteveWD40

5650m? I have a laptop with that card, it's pretty much crap nowadays and Far Cry 3 is a lot more demanding than most games. On my desktop I get 60 fps in Skyrim with everything on max settings, in Far Cry 3 I get 40 fps with only High settings (there's also Very High and Ultra settings) and no AA in DX9 . You may be ok but you'll probably have to put some or all settings on low.

Yeah I know it's not ideal, it's a temporary solution tbh. I might just hang on until I upgrade next year as it's sounding like the PC port is badly optimized (every PC game that runs on the weedy 360 should be able to run on anything dedicated, some run on HD4000's...).

? Are you suggesting this weather transition doesn't happen later in the game? Or gets better somehow? Or are you just simply saying don't let this stop you from playing the game? Confused.

I think he's implying - note I haven't played the game
that your suggestion of storm flying around isn't all that ridiculous and there may be a similar magical reason

Has anyone more experienced than I checked out the config file in
My documents'?

I'm wondering about a certain aspect: <quality ResolutionX="1280" ResolutionY="720"

This isn't screen res as that's elsewhere in the config. Could that be texture res, and if so can we increase it?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Has anyone more experienced than I checked out the config file in
My documents'?

I'm wondering about a certain aspect: <quality ResolutionX="1280" ResolutionY="720"

This isn't screen res as that's elsewhere in the config. Could that be texture res, and if so can we increase it?

Texture resolutions are usually X * X resolution.

Zep

Banned
This game has the worst weather transitions I've seen in a very long time :p

ibbrJ3m8UAssuN.gif

Well it sure as hell ain't RDR in the weather dept.

Anyone know what a 680m is equivalent to in terms of desktop cards? I'm hoping I can run this at 1080p without AA and keep a decent framerate.

curlycare

Anyone know what a 680m is equivalent to in terms of desktop cards? I'm hoping I can run this at 1080p without AA and keep a decent framerate.

At least tom's hardware list it in the same category with these:
Discrete: GTX 295, 480, 570, 660
Go (mobile): 680M

Don't really know if that's accurate.

Manac0r

Someone mentioned changing the SLi bits in Nvidia inspector, to what end?

I switched to Dx 9 and everything on ultra at 2560 x 1600 with no drops, constant 60fps. But my brain keeps thinking it needs Dx 11....

TRI 580 SLI all cards utilised.
I7980x OC 4.2
12 gig ram

Dx 11 mainly 60 fps but crazy spikes and drops for no rhyme or reason. (well down to the 40's but it's noticeable).

Is it the SSAO that's giving weird sort of shadows on everything? I don't like it.

Edit: I turned it off in the config, much better.

Also how do I inject SMAA, cause MSAA tanks my FPS?

Sethos

Banned
What is wrong with it?

Answered it a few pages pack.

It can cause stuttering, crashes or FPS dips when forced in some games however it's not certain. I was experiencing some weird dips and freezes when forcing Vsync. So I turned it all off and used the in-game one, that even allows 1/2 refresh as far as I can see.

Is it the SSAO that's giving weird sort of shadows on everything? I don't like it.

Yes. It's a pretty cheap and crude implementation that isn't very accurate.

SSAO is the cheapest and worst.

HBAO is more accurate, takes a bit more FPS but still has some shadow effect going on.

HDAO is the most accurate, can be fairly taxing but it's also extremely subtle to a point where it can barely be seen.

However this game has the worst AO IQ I've ever seen. SSAO is usually pretty good and then you can increase the accuracy from there, here SSAO just ruins the look.

Ledsen

I've found a few settings that are key to maintaining a high fps on a medium-range system. They are

- SSAO
SSAO -> HDAO takes 7-8 fps right off. SSAO looks like shit. Just disable it.

- Shadows
Lowering it to medium from high did wonders.

- Post-process FX
Same as shadows, medium works MUCH better than high.

- MSAA
Holy shit what a performance hog. Even 2xMSAA shaves ~10 fps off the top... wow.

- Surprisingly, putting "Alpha to Coverage" (foliage AA basically) from "off" to "enhanced" gives me only a 2-3 fps hit! It does A LOT for the image quality, since it greatly reduces shimmering in trees and foliage. So I recommend cranking that one up to maxium. I can't stress enough how much better it makes the game look, especially if you don't enable MSAA (which you probably shouldn't with a mid-range system).
EDIT! Since I wrote this, I've tried turning AtC off, and I have to admit I may have exaggerated the effect. I left it off, and instead turned on HDAO. HDAO has a huge impact on the depth of any scene, since it adds lots of subtle shadowing to the environments. The trade-off was worth it.

Setting everything else to high, with DX11, triple-buffered Vsync through D3DOverrider and 16x high-quality AF through nVidia Inspector, I'm able to maintain 50-60 fps just running around a bit in daylight with the following system:

2500k @ 4.5 GHz
GTX 560Ti @ stock with beta drivers
8 GB RAM

I'll be playing for real when I get home, and posting some more performance impressions then.

Jibbed

I've found a few settings that are key to maintaining a high fps. They are

- SSAO
Even raising to HDAO takes 7-8 fps right off.

- Shadows

- Post-process FX

- MSAA
Holy shit what a performance hog. Even 2xMSAA shaves ~10 fps off the top... wow.

- Surprisingly, putting "Alpha to Coverage" (foliage AA basically) from "off" to "enhanced" gives me only a 2-3 fps hit! It does A LOT for the image quality, since it greatly reduces shimmering in trees and foliage. So I recommend cranking that one up to maxium.

Setting everything else to high, with DX11, triple-buffered Vsync through D3DOverrider and 16x high-quality AF through nVidia Inspector, I'm able to maintain 50-60 fps just running around a bit in daylight with the following system:

2500k @ 4.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

I'll be playing for real when I get home, and posting some more performance impressions then.

I have pretty much exactly the same PC (2600k and 16GB RAM instead), thank you for the info man :)

Yes. It's a pretty cheap and crude implementation that isn't very accurate.

SSAO is the cheapest and worst.

HBAO is more accurate, takes a bit more FPS but still has some shadow effect going on.

HDAO is the most accurate, can be fairly taxing but it's also extremely subtle to a point where it can barely be seen.

However this game has the worst AO IQ I've ever seen. SSAO is usually pretty good and then you can increase the accuracy from there, here SSAO just ruins the look.

Thanks for the explanation, I decided to disable it entirely, I prefer the look plus I get more frames :)

Peterthumpa

I'm planning to play with everything maxed and with DX11, but with a lower resolution (1600x900). Is there a way to cap the FPS to 30?

Tried the MSI OSD method with adaptative v-sync from NVIDIA's drivers, but the strange 2 v-sync options from the game seems to be invalidating it somehow.

derExperte

Holy... Sethos you are right, whatever Post Processing on Ultra and Very High does, it isn't funny anymore o.o I dropped it to High and it's like a night and day difference, I can now have most other things cranked up and get near 60fps with a 6850 :D

Though I really wish somebody would tell us what effects we are now missing.

Woah, I have a 6850 (+2500K) too and like what I'm reading. Over 30fps would be enough for me, so how far have you played? Does it run good even when a lot is going on?

Biggzy

I've found a few settings that are key to maintaining a high fps on a medium-range system. They are

- SSAO
Even raising to HDAO takes 7-8 fps right off.

- Shadows

- Post-process FX

- MSAA

- Surprisingly, putting "Alpha to Coverage" (foliage AA basically) from "off" to "enhanced" gives me only a 2-3 fps hit! It does A LOT for the image quality, since it greatly reduces shimmering in trees and foliage. So I recommend cranking that one up to maxium. I can't stress enough how much better it makes the game look, especially if you don't enable MSAA (which you probably shouldn't with a mid-range system).

2500k @ 4.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

I have pretty much the same rig as yours - except I have a 6870 and a 2600k instead. I should get round about the same performance as you.

Much appreciated.

I love that PC devs put in graphics settings for console ports... but hate it when they don't actually explain what they do.

What does this postfx setting actually do on very high/ultra that it doesn't do on medium/high?

From what I am hearing it greatly effects fps, I have had it set to ultra and my gtx580 is going nuts... but don't want to lower it and miss out on some awesome effects. Problem is we just don't know what it really does!

Well I'm in the same situation so I'm currently trying to find any info on this :/ If I do I will post it here :)

Woah, I have a 6850 (+2500K) too and like what I'm reading. Over 30fps would be enough for me, so how far have you played? Does it run good even when a lot is going on?

I only tried it last night before I went to sleep so I haven't been able to test much but as soon as I'm home again I will play more and tell you.

I'm sorry, you do realize that GIF is in realtime right? As in clear sky, starts to rain, goes grey and POP a perfect storm sky in 8 seconds.

I've seen a few tropical storms form in my time and it ... it doesn't look like that.

LOL wow, that is pretty bad.

Ledsen

View Post
Holy... Sethos you are right, whatever Post Processing on Ultra and Very High does, it isn't funny anymore o.o I dropped it to High and it's like a night and day difference, I can now have most other things cranked up and get near 60fps with a 6850 :D

Though I really wish somebody would tell us what effects we are now missing.

Are you running DX9? Your 6850 is supposedly about equal to my 560Ti, and I'm running everything on High except Post Proc and Shadows on Medium in DX11 to get 60 fps.

Senaxx

Banned
I played the first hour from Far Cry 3 and it's just amazing. It performs great on my system with everything on ultra. But i'm a little confused with that SSAO / HBAO / or that other setting i can't remember.

i5 2500K @ 3.3 GHZ
MSI GTX 670 Power edition @ 110% clock (MSI Afterburner)
8 GB Ram
Windows 8

With everything on ultra the game runs around ~55 to ~60fps and I have made no adjustments in the Nvidia inspector or something (never used it, maybe i should?)
I saw a lot of stable 60 FPS scene's and I thought v-Sync was enabled so i rechecked again but it was definitely off. And i don't see it really getting above the 60 FPS (not even in small buildings)
Even the intro scene with "Dennis" when you are on his bed after you are found in the water runs at a solid 60fps...
Maybe it's getting forced from somewhere else?

Tankshell

This game has the worst weather transitions I've seen in a very long time :p

ibbrJ3m8UAssuN.gif

I still can't believe how bad this is. Is it the same on the console versions? ... or maybe just a PC only glitch? Surely the stormy clouds should slowly fade in at the very least!

It just seems like such a glaring obvious mistake... such attention to detail throughout the rest of the game/environments and then they go and do this? Strange.

Top Bottom