• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

derFeef

Yeah thanks for the link, bit it only appears to add the res to display 1, my gaming monitor (16:10 Dell) is display 2. Is there any way to get the downsampleGUI prog to add the res to display2?

The screen ID thing is a bit weird - I have done it that way: Set your primary display as the one you want to use the custom resolution and disable the other one. Then run the tool.

edit: Dumbass me had not installed 12.11 beta with the FC3 improvements. Game runs muuuch smoother now.

Damian.

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is anyone facing the issue where their in-game Video settings are not being saved. I achieved the sweet spot in Dx9 after a bit of tinkering around, but every time I quit and start, my settings just don't get saved and it reverts back to Optimal settings.

Also is there any way to boost in-game sound, dialogues especially? They're so fucking soft, half the time, I can't understand what anyone is saying. And there's no subtitles option as well.

My sound isn't soft, but all the voices in the game sound like 48Kbps mono MP3 files. 24/96 this game is not. :(

reektann

I wrote this quick guide for a friend, it will take 5min to set up and then it's as easy as selecting the resolution in games.

Nvidia guide for downscaling.

1: Right-click on desktop and go to Nvidia Control panel.

2: Under the 'adjust desktop size and position tab', select GPU for the 'perform scaling' option. Also tick the 'override scaling etc' box. Apply. 

3: Now go to the 'change resolution tab and select customise. Tick the 'enable resolutions not supported by this display' box and then click 'create custom resolution'

4: Now up the top you will have both a horizontal and vertical pixels box which you can increase/decrease. Because you have a 16:9 display you will want a resolution that scales properly. So select 2560 for horizontal and 1440 for vertical. Click test.

5: Everything will be scaled so all the images etc will look smaller and sharper, but once this is saved you will go back to your 1920x1080 resolution. You aren't using this higher res for day to day use, it's only for games really, so use your normal res. 

6: Now when you load up a game (Space Marine for example), the 2560x1440 option will be selectable under resolution settings.

What a great little guide! Thanks.

edit: Dumbass me had not installed 12.11 beta with the FC3 improvements. Game runs muuuch smoother now.

Will these help with a 6xxx card aswell or is the performance gain limited to the 7xxx series? The release notes say nothing about that. Also can someone tell me if you actually still need to reboot your PC for new graphics drivers to apply properly? I know that ever since Vista this shouldn't be needed with the new driver model introduced then but back when Modern Warfare 2 was released it was very choppy on my old 4850 and a newer catalyst fixed this though the effect wasn't there until a reboot.

derFeef

Will these help with a 6xxx card aswell or is the performance gain limited to the 7xxx series? The release notes say nothing about that. Also can someone tell me if you actually still need to reboot your PC for new graphics drivers to apply properly? I know that ever since Vista this shouldn't be needed with the new driver model introduced then but back when Modern Warfare 2 was released it was very choppy on my old 4850 and a newer catalyst fixed this though the effect wasn't there until a reboot.

I have a 6970 and it solved my stuttering issues. An no, no reboot :)

I think my video settings won't save.

I have everything set to Ultra in DX11 mode and I still get 70FPS on a 570! I know for a fact, that's impossible. It should be dying anywhere near that.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I think my video settings won't save.

I have everything set to Ultra in DX11 mode and I still get 70FPS on a 570! I know for a fact, that's impossible. It should be dying anywhere near that.

A lot of the settings won't save, like turning on subtitles or turning off aim assist on a pad.

What can I expect with these specs?

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 OCd to 3.2GHz
8GB DDR2 RAM
XFX Radeon 7850 2GB Black Edition (OC to 975MHz)
Win 7 x64 Pro SP1

The GFX is good, but CPU+mem are fairly old (even though I maxed them out as far as I could with OC).

Should I even bother? :/

It should run fine on high settings @ 720p.

Holy crap I just tried downsampling from 1440p... it's GLOURIOUS!!! The sharpness... sadly it drops my fps to ~40 so I can't play it like that... but it looks awesome!
Yea I just got a new monitor and am finally able to down sample. So amazing. I love it.

I'm still getting some stuttering. I wondering if I should try bloom/hdr in sweetfx and turn down post fx to medium. I like a lot of the post fx in the game.

Lettuce

The screen ID thing is a bit weird - I have done it that way: Set your primary display as the one you want to use the custom resolution and disable the other one. Then run the tool.

Yeah that sorted it. I notice now when i select a res of say 2560x1600 (native res is 1920x1200) the game runs in a fullscreen windows (i can see the minimize/maximize icons) any ideas on this?

Martian

I asked this in the Stupid Gaming Question thread, but figured here would be appropriate too.

These are my specs:

Intel Core i5-460M
4 GB DDR3
Win 7
Nvidia GeForce GT 540M

I have like zero knowledge on CPU etc.

But apperently my Video Card is mid-quality.

Will I be able to run this game?

Zafir

I wrote this quick guide for a friend, it will take 5min to set up and then it's as easy as selecting the resolution in games.

2: Under the 'adjust desktop size and position tab', select GPU for the 'perform scaling' option. Also tick the 'override scaling etc' box. Apply. 

3: Now go to the 'change resolution tab and select customise. Tick the 'enable resolutions not supported by this display' box and then click 'create custom resolution'

4: Now up the top you will have both a horizontal and vertical pixels box which you can increase/decrease. Because you have a 16:9 display you will want a resolution that scales properly. So select 2560 for horizontal and 1440 for vertical. Click test.

5: Everything will be scaled so all the images etc will look smaller and sharper, but once this is saved you will go back to your 1920x1080 resolution. You aren't using this higher res for day to day use, it's only for games really, so use your normal res. 

6: Now when you load up a game (Space Marine for example), the 2560x1440 option will be selectable under resolution settings.
Only seems to work if you're lucky enough for your default timings to work with it straight off the bat.

Just followed the long guide though and got downscaling from 2560x1440 working. Looks really great, and gives me the same FPS as if I enabled MSAA in dx11 mode.

iNvid02

at higher res like 2880x1620 you'll prob have to change the refresh rate to lower levels, my monitor can do a little higher than this res but only at 30hz

so if your desired res doesnt test out ok first time change the refresh rate and retry

I tried simple 1920x1200 on my 1680x1050 monitor and that very simple guide worked. IQ was immediately noticeable on NFS Hot Pursuit, known by it's awful aliasing ruining IQ and the great assets. A 660ti only supports 2048x1536 I think, so...... I guess that's as high as I can go correct?

Edit: Through VGA yup... Only that one. By digital it's 2560x1600. So I guess with my DVI-I with a DVI to VGA adapter will only allow me a small downsample up until 1920x1200 :(

Zafir

I tried simple 1920x1200 on my 1680x1050 monitor and that very simple guide worked. IQ was immediately noticeable on NFS Hot Pursuit, known by it's awful aliasing ruining IQ and the great assets. A 660ti only supports 2048x1536 I think, so...... I guess that's as high as I can go correct?
No?

I was downsampling from 2560x1440 on my 660ti.

Edit: Ah, just saw your update, guess this is un-needed. :p

scitek

So wait, are most saying depth downsampling should or should not be enabled? When I set it to 0, my SSAO looks like it always has:

screenshot0000jyd0d.png

If I set it to 1, I honestly think I might prefer it because it kind of softens/smears the effect, and makes it look less like an outline:

I get 60fps with both for the most part, but there were a couple of areas on the map when driving around that dropped to ~45 with it set to 0. Lots of trees in shadows, etc.

I'm getting pretty fed up with the stuttering I've been having in this game. Even if it's a rock solid 60fps it will just randomly stutter and lose a few frames. I've tried everything, 30fps, 45fps, 60fps, no vsync, triple buffered vsync, half refresh rate vsync, adaptive vsync, both the in-game options... Nothing really helps.

JRW

I'm getting pretty fed up with the stuttering I've been having in this game. Even if it's a rock solid 60fps it will just randomly stutter and lose a few frames. I've tried everything, 30fps, 45fps, 60fps, no vsync, triple buffered vsync, half refresh rate vsync, adaptive vsync, both the in-game options... Nothing really helps.

For me increasing the GPU Max buffered frames to 3 in FC3 options greatly decreased this symptom.

Corky

For me increasing the GPU Max buffered frames to 3 in FC3 options greatly decreased this symptom.

Max buffered frames only helped me slightly, what did the trick and removed all the stuttering for me was adding MaxFPS="60" in the .xml try that and see if it doesn't remove all the stuttering ( other than the once in a full moon texture,world streaming/loading hitch ).

scitek

Tried setting a framerate limiter with Afterburner?

A bit for SGSSAA's been found in DX9 0x004010C5. I get 30fps and lower with 4xSGSSAA. You can force MSAA and TrSSAA, too, but MSAA leaves a white outline around characters' hair.

I've settled on SMAA+4xTrSSAA to keep 60fps:

Max buffered frames only helped me slightly, what did the trick and removed all the stuttering for me was adding MaxFPS="60" in the .xml try that and see if it doesn't remove all the stuttering ( other than the once in a full moon texture,world streaming/loading hitch ).

Do I just put that anywhere in the RenderProfile section?

JRW

Im already running vsync tho, or does this help when vsync is enabled as well?

So wait, are most saying depth downsampling should or should not be enabled? When I set it to 0, my SSAO looks like it always has:

If I set it to 1, I honestly think I might prefer it because it kind of softens/smears the effect, and makes it look less like an outline:

I get 60fps with both for the most part, but there were a couple of areas on the map when driving around that dropped to ~45 with it set to 0. Lots of trees in shadows, etc.
How do you soften the AO like this?

Corky

Im already running vsync tho, or does this help when vsync is enabled as well?

It helps even if you have vsync on. For me the stuttering persisted regardless of ingame settings or nvidia inspector setting until I added that in the settings.xml or whatever the filename was.

OK, adding the MaxFPS line has certainly helped. It's not perfectly stutter free but it's a lot better than it was.

Thanks for the tip, Corky.

Tried setting a framerate limiter with Afterburner?

This is what I did with Hitman and other games and it always did the trick, but for some reason Far Cry is an anomaly.

Corky

OK, adding the MaxFPS line has certainly helped. It's not perfectly stutter free but it's a lot better than it was.

Thanks for the tip, Corky.

This is what I did with Hitman and other games and it always did the trick, but for some reason Far Cry is an anomaly.

No probs, combine that shit with 3 frame pre buffering and almost all the stutter should go away.

iNvid02

How do we know it's legit?

the gif^^ i've been a member for a while now, they sometimes lower lifetime to 39.95 and that's when i jumped in

day one trainers for pretty much every game for the price of 1 game, thought it was worth it

its the last option

sshot1x1jmq.png

JRW

It helps even if you have vsync on. For me the stuttering persisted regardless of ingame settings or nvidia inspector setting until I added that in the settings.xml or whatever the filename was.

Seemed to help but if you make any changes to the graphic settings in game the Maxfps entry disappears from the .xml? I wonder if it needs to be added in a specific area of the .xml for it to stick.

scitek

The no HUD option is literally the only thing I'd use that trainer (or any other trainer) for. I guess I'll just keep the HUD forever.

Corky

Seemed to help but if you make any changes to the graphic settings in game the Maxfps entry disappears from the .xml? I wonder if it needs to be added in a specific area of the .xml for it to stick.

Yeah it does disappear, what you gotta do is to make the file read-only after you're done with all the visual tweaking.

Sethos

Banned
I need a second pair of eyes. The game has been pretty jaggy and aliased overall without the MSAA but I found a little fix ... maybe, that seem to have made my image extremely smooth and I'm only running SMAA.

There's still aliased edges but it seems 10x better than the default image. Can anyone tell me if I'm seeing things but isn't this image fairly 'clean' for an SMAA only image, or is it just me?

http://i.minus.com/ibnp4vskQwls4g.png

Corky

I need a second pair of eyes. The game has been pretty jaggy and aliased overall without the MSAA but I found a little fix ... maybe, that seem to have made my image extremely smooth and I'm only running SMAA.

There's still aliased edges but it seems 10x better than the default image. Can anyone tell me if I'm seeing things but isn't this image fairly 'clean' for an SMAA only image, or is it just me?

http://i.minus.com/ibnp4vskQwls4g.png

That definitely looks good for being native and smaa only. SweetFx ?

Sethos

Banned
That definitely looks good for being native and smaa only. SweetFx ?

Been using SweetFX to SMAA and Sharpen it a lil' however the image was always super aliased to me but I went scouring the internet and found an apparent fix for the heavy aliasing, just need to do some more testing before I go "OMG TRY DIS FIX GAIS!" because it may very well be some placebo crap. Just wanted some more eyes.

Ledsen

Been using SweetFX to SMAA and Sharpen it a lil' however the image was always super aliased to me but I went scouring the internet and found an apparent fix for the heavy aliasing, just need to do some more testing before I go "OMG TRY DIS FIX GAIS!" because it may very well be some placebo crap. Just wanted some more eyes.

what fix?

Alright just a heads-up, everybody with a AMD card should install the new 12.11 Beta 8 drivers. They helped me quite a bit with my 6850 :D I'm almost at 50fps at all times, just a few more tweaks and I might even get 60! :p

Top Bottom