• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Sethos

Banned
the gif^^ i've been a member for a while now, they sometimes lower lifetime to 39.95 and that's when i jumped in

day one trainers for pretty much every game for the price of 1 game, thought it was worth it

its the last option

sshot1x1jmq.png

So can't you upload the trainer for us? :D

Elsolar

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/731880-Guide-How-To-Disable-Depth-Of-Field

Despite already adding all that

"<quality GameDepthOfField="0"
DepthDownsample="1"
CinematicDepthOfField="0"
FXAALevel="0"
CloudShadows="1"
MotionBlur="0"
id="medium" />"

to my GamerProfile my trees were always super aliased. So I set that to false, kept the above and now everything seems fairly smooth for an SMAA-antialiased image only.

That's because DepthDownsampling increases aliasing, not decreases it. If you want smooth IQ you need to disable it, however much it sucks to lose the performance boost.

Sethos

Banned
That's because DepthDownsampling increases aliasing, not decreases it. If you want smooth IQ you need to disable it, however much it sucks to lose the performance boost.

I still have DepthDownsampling enabled yet I get the smooth image without the heavy GPU taxation. So it has nothing to do with that.

PostFX Medium: GPU at 55-58*
PostFX High ( i.e DepthDownsampling to 0 ): 72* peak
PostFX to "False" and DepthDownsampling to "1" and STILL have the non-aliased image: GPU at 48* peak.

Sethos

Banned
unfortunately no, they stamp your username on what you download, its easy to find out who shared it, and then account banned

all i can offer you is gifs

Stamp your username? What, who's going to be posting pictures of the damn trainer :p

Share the wealth.

Elsolar

I still have DepthDownsampling enabled yet I get the smooth image without the heavy GPU taxation. So it has nothing to do with that.

PostFX Medium: GPU at 55-58*
PostFX to "False" and DepthDownsampling to "1" and STILL have the non-aliased image: GPU at 48* peak.

Really? Because I think it most certainly does.

FXAALevel=2, DepthDownsampling=1:

FXAALevel=2, DepthDownsampling=0, otherwise same settings:

Ahh this is frustrating, I can't get locked 60fps everywhere without sacrificing too much quality :/ Near a shoreline and in the jungle I get about 48-60fps though as soon as I move near a building and people etc or look from the outside into the jungle I only get 40-50...

I guess the Geometry setting is at fault here?

Sethos

Banned
Really? Because I think it most certainly does.

FXAALevel=2, DepthDownsampling=1:

FXAALevel=2, DepthDownsampling=0, otherwise same settings:

God, yes I know what the setting does but I'm talking about WHAT I JUST POSTED, which is something outside of DepthDownsampling.

it also does this before launch - not just for show either

trainers are serious business sorry guys

you can actually get a 30 day trial for $17 here

sshot1zyz7o.png

I wouldn't even pay $1 for it :p

tahsutify

Here is my system:

ati radeon hd 5830 GPU

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

4GB Corsair 9 Memory at 667 MHz

What do you think? Will it be able to play it with decent settings? I know it is not a high end system but I played Battlefield 3 with ultra settings.

Elsolar

God, yes I know what the setting does but I'm talking about WHAT I JUST POSTED, which is something outside of DepthDownsampling.

All I'm saying is you can't complain about how jaggy your trees are, but at the same time you're downsampling your image.

Sethos

Banned
All I'm saying is you can't complain about how jaggy your trees are, but at the same time you're downsampling your image.

What the fuck are you on about?

I said my trees were jaggy.

I apply a fix found on another forum which seems to take care of it, that ISN'T DepthDownsampling to 0.

I post a 2560x1600 image which is my native res to prove it.

Where are we going wrong here?

Elsolar

What the fuck are you on about?

I said my trees were jaggy.

I apply a fix found on another forum which seems to take care of it, that ISN'T DepthDownsampling to 0.

I post a 2560x1600 image which is my native res to prove it.

Where are we going wrong here?

Disabling Post-FX implies that you also disabled DepthDownsampling, since it is itself a Post-FX. THAT'S why your trees were jaggy in the first place, and why they're smooth now. You disabled the very thing that you keep saying you have turned on.

iNvid02

you can download trainers for older games - ones without exclusive in orange writing are free to download - far cry 2 for example:

if you like to replay stuff down the line and enjoy messing around then something like this is a good deal. but for removing the hud off one game, forget about it.

Sethos

Banned
Disabling Post-FX implies that you also disabled DepthDownsampling, since it is itself a Post-FX. THAT'S why your trees were jaggy in the first place, and why they're smooth now. You disabled the very thing that you keep saying you have turned on.

The reason why I posted this;

Medium: GPU at 55-58*

So how does that make sense, disabling DepthDownsampling by itself causes MASSIVE GPU taxation yet doing PostFX to false makes the GPU barely do any work yet give me the clean(er) image.

AND I STILL have DepthDownsampling to 1 in the config!

Omiee

so without having to read all the pages.

are there any tricks to get better performance?

im running a i5 2500k and two 7950's.

Elsolar

The reason why I posted this;

So how does that make sense, disabling DepthDownsampling by itself causes MASSIVE GPU taxation yet doing PostFX to false makes the GPU barely do any work yet give me the clean(er) image.

Well by disabling Post-FX completely you also disabled SSAO and cloud shadows, which obviously tax the GPU (especially the latter).

That's awesome. I'm starting to get the uneven performance some people were complaining about. Today I'm having pretty decent performance while yesterday things chugged along. Anyways, a few questions for you guys. Does anyone else get stuttering or something indoors? Whenever I go into one of those missions with the caves it seems like there's some sort of skipping or something. Does the audio sound kinda compressed to anyone else? I asked in the OT and didn't get any feedback. Last, is there a way to lower or turn off the motion blur? It's a bit too much for my eyes.

What resolution do I need to add to the Nvidia control panel for 16:10 monitor? I want to down sample but I don't know the resolution I need to put in. Monitor is 1680X1050.

Sethos

Banned
Well by disabling Post-FX completely you also disabled SSAO and cloud shadows, which obviously tax the GPU (especially the latter).

No, they aren't. They are still in my game. Like I posted earlier, I've set them manually to on.

What resolution do I need to add to the Nvidia control panel for 16:10 monitor? I want to down sample but I don't know the resolution I need to put in. Monitor is 1680X1050.

There's
1920x1200
2560x1600
3840x2400

All 16:10 resolutions.

Nekrono

DepthDownsample="1"
FXAALevel="0"
CloudShadows="1"
MotionBlur="0"
id="medium" />"

to my GamerProfile my trees were always super aliased. So I set that to false, kept the above and now everything seems fairly smooth for an SMAA-antialiased image only.
Let me get this straight, you applied the fix on the link plus those other commands and are getting less aliasing, lower GPU usage and still keeping SSAO, etc?

Sethos

Banned
Let me get this straight, you applied the fix on the link plus those other commands and are getting less aliasing, lower GPU usage and still keeping SSAO, etc?

Yes, that's why I'm slightly puzzled. Sure I'm missing something. AO and Cloud Shadows alone is barely noticeable on my GPU's temps. DepthDownsample is a MASSIVE hog, however now I have AO and a 'clean' image and my GPU works less.

Also the reason why I was a bit reluctant to post it because I know there's something I'm not seeing.

EDIT: Just tried using PrintScreen ( as opposed to FRAPS, which I believe captures post process AA which Print Screen doesn't? ) on a clean image and it comes out really jaggy, so maybe SMAA is just working better with PostFX to false, which disables something yet everything else can be manually added? However the guy on the Ubi forums mentions no SMAA and his trees etc. also go super clean, yet get an FPS boost which isn't consistent with DepthDownsampling being disabled.

Lettuce

Do you have 2 frames vsycned?

No i turned vsync off completely to see if it would help, but it didnt. I even turned the settings down to low and i was still only achieving approx 48fps (i have a 6970 2GB GPU and i7 @4GHz). Sleeping Dogs on Extreme setting with SMAA turned off runs at around 74fps for example!!

Saty

off-topic: are you using custom cooling solutions or what? All these talks about high your GPU temp gets; being 60-70 degrees celsius while mine easily crosses 80 and 90 on your average game.

Using pretty much a stock 560ti.

However the guy on the Ubi forums mentions no SMAA and his trees etc. also go super clean, yet get an FPS boost which isn't consistent with DepthDownsampling being disabled.

Weirdly enough PostFX="false" seems to be higher than PostFX="low"... Check it. These are with stock settings (no <Post> stuff in the config) with just the PostFX setting changed.

PostFX="low"
ijSBZXiqJydqO.png

PostFX="false"
iCTYlwJTPpJQ5.png

PostFX false turns on FXAA for some reason! Put it on low if you want it gone for reals.

Edit: Yowza, setting PostFX to low gives me 5 more fps than using custom Post quality settings. Now that's a hot tip!

off-topic: are you using custom cooling solutions or what? All these talks about high your GPU temp gets; being 60-70 degrees celsius while mine easily crosses 80 and 90 on your average game.

How are your cables sitting in your case? I don't have a modular power supply, so there are loose cables everywhere in my case. I recently cleaned them up the best I could and my temps while gaming have dropped by about three degrees.

Has anyone managed to get 60 fps on a 7870? Best I'm managing is like 45 average. Going from medium to low doesn't seem to make any difference so I think I'm missing a trick somewhere?

e. Graphics settings are stressful and complicated and time consuming ._.

Nekrono

Yes, that's why I'm slightly puzzled. Sure I'm missing something. AO and Cloud Shadows alone is barely noticeable on my GPU's temps. DepthDownsample is a MASSIVE hog, however now I have AO and a 'clean' image and my GPU works less.

Also the reason why I was a bit reluctant to post it because I know there's something I'm not seeing.

EDIT: Just tried using PrintScreen ( as opposed to FRAPS, which I believe captures post process AA which Print Screen doesn't? ) on a clean image and it comes out really jaggy, so maybe SMAA is just working better with PostFX to false, which disables something yet everything else can be manually added? However the guy on the Ubi forums mentions no SMAA and his trees etc. also go super clean, yet get an FPS boost which isn't consistent with DepthDownsampling being disabled.
I don't even know what's going on with this game anymore, all the tweaking is somewhat confusing and it reflects in-game in a weird way whether its strange performance gain/loss or strange visual changes. Also seems really hard to point out a "best" settings config.

I'll try what you said and maybe I'll see a more noticeable difference because I'm not using SMAA since it has exactly the same effect and IQ than the in-game FXAA which makes all of this even more confusing.

I for one use Afterburner's custom fan profile since the default fan control on the drivers are shit, for most cards it is this way.

I'm sure a lot of people also have cards with custom cooling like MSI's Twin Frozer, etc, which are much better at reducing heat and controlling fan speed than its stock counterparts.

Sethos

Banned

Using third party cards which comes with non-reference cooling solutions. Plus, Kepler cards start to throttle down at 70* so I tend to keep it below that.

Weirdly enough PostFX="false" seems to be higher than PostFX="low"... Check it. These are with stock settings (no <Post> stuff in the config) with just the PostFX setting changed.

PostFX false turns on FXAA for some reason! Put it on low if you want it gone for reals

Appreciate the comparison man. So the cause of the anti-aliasing with false is FXAA coming on, which is weird as people said you needed to disable that ( Which I did in a separate setting ) to get SMAA working / Game not crashing? And the SweetFX sharpening I did kinda toned down any smudging FXAA added.

Still baffles me the massive drop in GPU temp as the overall image is very much the same except less aliasing. Probably another setting I'm not realizing is gone, turned down or something.

Still baffles me the massive drop in GPU temp as the overall image is very much the same except less aliasing. Probably another setting I'm not realizing is gone, turned down or something.
Well if you don't miss it then it's not a problem. Although some one more eagle eyed might spot it eventually.

Sethos

Banned
Well if you don't miss it then it's not a problem. Although some one more eagle eyed might spot it eventually.

Oh I know but I'm a PC tweaker by heart, all this crap lodged into overall settings and I don't know what it entails annoys the shit out of me :p I need to know what's going on, what is enabled and disabled!

Especially when something like this happens, it cooks my tiny brain.

Ledsen

DepthDownsample="1"
FXAALevel="0"
CloudShadows="1"
MotionBlur="0"
id="medium" />"

Why would the DoF impact the AA of close objects? Makes no sense, but okay. I've got it disabled already so I'm good to go.

edit: wait, postfx=false, haven't done that, only gamedepthoffield=0... I'll try it. Should it go in the <post> tag with those other settings?

Also why is he saying that's how you disable DoF? gamedepthoffield=0 disables DoF, not this.

CTE

You need better airflow through the case. I have a 560ti and it never goes above the 70's. Rest of the system sits around 29-35 depending on load. Sometimes my cpu goes into the low 40's at worst. I use stock cooling, too.

I do keep it in a cool room, though. You keep your rig in a hot room? That has a big effect IMO.

Elsolar

Tried messing around with PostFXQuality="fasle", it looks to me like it's just a preset that has DepthDownscaling and FXAA. So yeah, y'all are noticing less jaggies because the game stealth-activated FXAA on you.

scitek

Exactly how much is being downsampled with DepthDownsampling on? And from what res to what res? I can keep 60fps pretty regularly with it off, and the image does seem better (I should do some comparisons later to see), but my game eventually locked up, presumably due to my card going into overdrive.

Tried messing around with PostFXQuality="fasle", it looks to me like it's just a preset that has DepthDownscaling and FXAA. So yeah, y'all are noticing less jaggies because the game stealth-activated FXAA on you.

Most likely "false" is just an unrecognized preset so the game defaults to some other setting.

Top Bottom