• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
DX11 should perform a lot better in pretty much all cases, especially open world game.

Oh I'm sure, though the consensus seem to be that in this particular case there is a noticeable performance hit going dx11.

Usually SSAO is applied no matter what is on screen.

Well then lets try how it goes with all kinds of SSAO disabled then, will report back in a minute :)

Update:

It's not the SSAO which causes this...

New Settings:

7hR9o.jpg

Results:

GFsA9.jpg

I don't know what to make of this.

Like mentioned before, I can attest to getting vastly improved performance by setting AA in inspector instead of in game. With AA set to 4x MSAA @ 2540x1440 I can set Post FX to Ultra and get 60 fps. Not sure if it makes a diff but I've also disabled FXAA in inspector.

Btw. the reflections of the water in the highest setting produces anomalies at times, like reflecting your jetski the size of a mountain :) Or in DX9 with the SGSSAA bit, the water completely disappears!

Off to try 8xQ!

8xQ works great, slight hitching here and there and drops in geometry heavy areas, but 60 fps mostly.

I don't understand, in fact 8xQ performs just as well as 4x multisampling... with slightly better image quality. This game is weird.

Is there a way to turn off blurring without affecting anything else?

Yes there is :)

Go to: My Documents\My Games\Far Cry 3 and then open the file GamerProfile.xml with any text-editor. Now add the following after </CustomQuality>

<Post>
<quality GameDepthOfField="0" CinematicDepthOfField="0" MotionBlur="0" FXAALevel="0" id="medium" />
</Post>

Substitute id="medium" /> with whatever you have the Post Processing setting set to and then make the file write-protected. For a example of how the file can look, look at my screenshot above.

Xyber

Go to: My Documents\My Games\Far Cry 3 and then open the file GamerProfile.xml with any text-editor. Now add the following after </CustomQuality>

Substitute id="medium" /> with whatever you have the Post Processing setting set to and then make the file write-protected. For a example of how the file can look, look at my screenshot above.

Could you paste your config, I'd like to try it out but I'm too lazy to edit it manually right now.
I have a 6950 2GB and I'm using the latest 12.11 beta. So I should be getting about the same performance as you.

Zabojnik

Brilliant, will try it now. I actually only want to disable 'motion blur', I'm okay with depth of field and FXAA (which I have set to '2' in the game, if that's the same thing). Would something like this work?

<Post>
<quality GameDepthOfField="1" CinematicDepthOfField="1" MotionBlur="0" FXAALevel="2" id="ultra" />
</Post>

Could you paste your config, I'd like to try it out but I'm too lazy to edit it manually right now.
I have a 6950 2GB and I'm using the latest 12.11 beta. So I should be getting about the same performance as you.

Yeah sure here you go!

Code:
	<RenderProfile MSAALevel="0" AlphaToCoverage="2" SSAOLevel="4" SDSM="0" ResolutionX="1920" ResolutionY="1080" Quality="custom" QualityEditor="editor_ps3" Fullscreen="0" Borderless="1" UseD3D11="1" D3D11MultithreadedRendering="0" WidescreenLetterbox="0" UseWidescreenFOV="1" FOVScaleFactor="1.365" EnableSubResolution="0" SubResolutionX="960" SubResolutionY="540" VSync="0" RefreshRate="0" DisableMip0Loading="0" GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1" ShowFPS="0" Brightness="1" Contrast="1" GammaRamp="1" AllowAsynchShaderLoading="1">
		<CustomQuality>
			<quality ResolutionX="1280" ResolutionY="720" EnvironmentQuality="high" AntiPortalQuality="default" PortalQuality="medium" PostFxQuality="medium" TextureQuality="high" TextureResolutionQuality="high" WaterQuality="veryhigh" DepthPassQuality="high" VegetationQuality="veryhigh" TerrainQuality="high" GeometryQuality="high" AmbientQuality="high" DeferredAmbientQuality="high" ShadowQuality="high" EditorQuality="" Hdr="1" HdrFP32="0" ReflectionHdr="1" EnableVertexBinding="1" id="custom" />
		</CustomQuality>
			<Post>
			<quality GameDepthOfField="1" DepthDownsample="1" CinematicDepthOfField="1" MotionBlur="1" SSAO="1" FXAALevel="0" CloudShadows="1" SSAOMaxDistance="100" id="medium" />
		</Post>
	</RenderProfile>
[/quote]

Brilliant, will try it now. I actually only want to disable 'motion blur', I'm okay with depth of field and FXAA (which I have set to '2' in the game, if that's the same thing). Would something like this work?

Yeah that should work :) But you can also just omit everything but Motion Blur then like this:

<Post>
<quality MotionBlur="0" id="ultra" />
</Post>

I generally get okay framerates with my AMD955BE and HD5850 but I get extremely low framerate when climbing a tower and watching the ocean/hills in the distance. Anyone have any idea to improve performance? Are there some draw distance or lod settings I can edit to fix this?

scitek

Thanks, with that bit I'm getting smooth frame rates (60fps) with 4x MSAA and 4x SGSSAA at 2560x1440 as long as PostFX is set to medium. Anything higher and it's really jerky. DX9 definitely gives me better frame rates but the lighting seems to be more noticably flat compared to DX11. I could just be imagining things though.
Thennn I'm gonn say its probably not working. I barely get 30fps at 1080p with 4xSGSSAA with a GTX 670.

n0n44m

was trying Sethos' settings ... (in hope I could get 120 Hz + some SGSSAA)

just the config gave me 120+ fps :p

but adding SweetFX = game instantly closes after launching

no additional software whatsoever loaded, basically bare Windows 7 right now... no browser open no GPU overclocking software nothing .... just Uplay & MSE in the background

disabling Uplay overlay doesn't help either

you guys use the latest version from guru3D right?

I'm gonna try InjectSMAA now

Sethos

Banned
was trying Sethos' settings ... (in hope I could get 120 Hz + some SGSSAA)

just the config gave me 120+ fps :p

but adding SweetFX = game instantly closes after launching

no additional software whatsoever loaded, basically bare Windows 7 right now... no browser open no GPU overclocking software nothing .... just Uplay & MSE in the background

disabling Uplay overlay doesn't help either

you guys use the latest version from guru3D right?

I'm gonna try InjectSMAA now

The injectors seem to work for some, not for others. I just plonked it all in the 'Bin' folder, tweaked the SweetFX_settings.txt by only adding Lumasharpen and SMAA. Even have FRAPS, Bandicam, Precision X and all that running the background no problem.

Only thing I can say is, make sure you've set it to DX9 and saved those settings. Install SweetFX, start up the game in hope that it works and then do all the GamerProfile afterwards. Could be some residual DX11 setting or something ... Honestly it's puzzling.

n0n44m

The injectors seem to work for some, not for others. I just plonked it all in the 'Bin' folder, tweaked the SweetFX_settings.txt by only adding Lumasharpen and SMAA. Even have FRAPS, Bandicam, Precision X and all that running the background no problem.

Only thing I can say is, make sure you've set it to DX9 and saved those settings. Install SweetFX, start up the game in hope that it works and then do all the GamerProfile afterwards. Could be some residual DX11 setting or something ... Honestly it's puzzling.

got the same issue with InjectSMAA, which I've used in plenty of other games without issues

weird

and yeah had to first start the game in DX11, then set it to DX9, restart the game, exit again, then copy your DX9 config ... but all that was without injectors :p

I'm going to try some different combinations/things I guess, but I can't find anyone on google with a suggestion on what might be the issue here :(

edit:got the game from GMG so just basic Uplay, no other software even in the task manager right now ;)

n0n44m

OK fixed the injector issue I think ...

setting Uplay to OFFLINE MODE made the game launch with InjectSMAA, and pressing pause (enable/disable) does seem to make a slight change to some of the edges

are you SweetFX people also using offline mode?

gonna try SweetFX now (...)

Sethos

Banned
OK fixed the injector issue I think ...

setting Uplay to OFFLINE MODE made the game launch with InjectSMAA, and pressing pause (enable/disable) does seem to make a slight change to some of the edges

are you SweetFX people also using offline mode?

gonna try SweetFX now (...)

I've used both, played the game yesterday and today with it in online mode. Maybe the Steam version of Uplay which is slightly different, doesn't do a file consistency check or handles the injector .dll differently.

Nekrono

I finally settled on a nice configuration with a nice balance between performance and IQ while still keeping my GPU usage/fan from going crazy.

Feels good, now I can enjoy the game even more!

ipBewvbu7r34X.jpg

ibsTecUY2i54ap.jpg

Nekrono

I generally get okay framerates with my AMD955BE and HD5850 but I get extremely low framerate when climbing a tower and watching the ocean/hills in the distance. Anyone have any idea to improve performance? Are there some draw distance or lod settings I can edit to fix this?

Try turning PostFX to medium, happens to me as well with it on anything higher than medium on a 7970.

JRW

You should clock that i7 up to 3.8Ghz. Well, as long as you aren't running on stock cooler. Though if you are on stock cooler, that's a good overclock.

Yea the current OC is with stock intel cooler, stock voltages and HT disabled (runs a little to warm with HT enabled), also for whatever reason any game benchmarks Ive run without HT are 2-3 fps faster vs enabling it.

I've never felt the need to OC any further but now I'm curious if it might be worth it for FC3 lol.

I just need a little more power from somewhere to achieve a solid 60fps, it's close now but not sure if its more of a GPU or CPU issue, played for a couple hours last-night and lowest I saw was 49fps.

Ill need to buy a better CPU cooler first, right now it's reaching 78C under load but the OC has been rock stable since 2010.

derFeef

Your settings work like a charm for me, Sethos, but only in DX11. 2560x1140 - looks fantastic. Too bad SweetFX won't run at all for me with FC3.

please report back with results! and perhaps a screen or two! If you could grab a screen with everything set to low and AA forced with inspector I would really appreciate it!

Unfortunately it didn't even work for me. So I'll have to wait and see what comes down the line regarding inspector.

JRW

I finally settled on a nice configuration with a nice balance between performance and IQ while still keeping my GPU usage/fan from going crazy.

Feels good, now I can enjoy the game even more!

ipBewvbu7r34X.jpg

ibsTecUY2i54ap.jpg

Same here I spent a few days tweaking settings and finally found a configuration that works well.

My GTX 480 reaches 92C with FC3 which is just under the batshit insane Fan RPM trigger, I think 95C is when it starts sounding like a hair dryer is on inside the case lol.

Luckily it hasn't reached that high ever since I replaced the stock gpu thermal grease with Arctic silver 5.

noomi

Unfortunately it didn't even work for me. So I'll have to wait and see what comes down the line regarding inspector.

Just to be certain, you are running the dx9 executable for this correct? it won't work with dx11.

The AA is really a pain in the ass in FC3 :/

Sethos

Banned
Wanted to do a quick and dirty comparison between DirectX 9 with the SMAA / Sharpen of SweetFX / Game's FXAA and DirectX 11 vanilla with HDAO but still FXAA. Just had to see the difference for myself but might as well share with the Gaffies.

1) DirectX 9 / DirectX 11

2) DirectX 9 / DirectX 11

3) DirectX 9 / DirectX 11

Honestly, I can't see much that speaks for DirectX 11 with the added blur due to lack of sharpen, lighting is either the same or in my opinion, worse in some cases ( See left red roof in first picture ). Only plus is HDAO looks more natural.

Top Bottom