• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

whalesaver

Neo Member
I have a laptop with a 420m card (stop laughing at the back).

This card normally enables me to play console ports on low settings, any hope on this

*prepares for disappointment*

Xyber

Skyfireblaze's config did wonders for me while climbing antennas. Before I only got about 40 fps while climbing up, now it never dropped below 60 and stayed at 70 or higher for the most part. <3

Woo! And I'll take some jaggies if that means I don't have to deal with horrible fps.
il0u5Xg9ffFn9.png

Sethos

Banned
I have had it set to medium and now it's set to false. Same thing happens. Although on false I seem to have more motion blur for some reason.

Because "False" as some suggested, appears to be an unrecognised preset and the game defaults back to something else which has motion blur, FXAA etc.

noomi

0x004012C1 allows SGSSAA in DX9. Also, TrSSAA, but that ruins cinematic DOF, so it should be turned off.

Going to try this after work, 4xmultisampling and 4x sgssaa in directx9 would make me a happy boy. Curious to see what kind of FPS this will yield for me.

Lettuce

Something is seriously messed with this game, just reinstalled it and playing the opening cut scene and MSI afterburner is reporting im getting 8fps!!!!!

Bliany

That's very hard to say honestly. This is the first time I'm even hearing of this card...

Full name is Nvidia GT330M. It's a laptop video card. I'm running a 2010 Macbook Pro with Windows 7 via bootcamp so I'm not going to be surprised if this is the end of me being able to play new games on it. It's about time I built a desktop.

JRW

Full name is Nvidia GT330M. It's a laptop video card. I'm running a 2010 Macbook Pro with Windows 7 via bootcamp so I'm not going to be surprised if this is the end of me being able to play new games on it. It's about time I built a desktop.

Hate to say judging from where the 330M resides on this list it's not looking good http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+330M

It's also listed under the "Class 3" Low/Midrange cards on this list http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

FarCry has a lot of options to tweak so maybe you'd get away with Low / Medium settings but i'm not certain.

scitek

Are you trying to decide between this game on PC or console? Because the one thing I always used to come back to when making that decision is that, in the future, the gameplay experience will improve in the PC as you get new hardware. It's always stuck at whatever state it's released in on consoles.

If you're wondering if you should buy now or wait for your new desktop, I'd just suggest waiting on a sale in case it doesn't run. :p

Skyfireblaze's config did wonders for me while climbing antennas. Before I only got about 40 fps while climbing up, now it never dropped below 60 and stayed at 70 or higher for the most part. <3

Woo! And I'll take some jaggies if that means I don't have to deal with horrible fps.

where can i find his config? link?

Thank you. Here's my results:
DX11:

DX9:

So no ~20 fps improvement for me :(

Edit:
After running around in the jungle my DX9 fps seems more stable now than with my old settings. It's staying at about 65fps all the time now and I got dips down to 50 before in this same area.

Hmm that makes the whole thing even more odd xD Have you tried to compare your FPS while looking straight into the sky?

It can't be that my 6850 is some kind of magic-card :p

I tried Skyfireblaze's config too. And what the hell, it greatly improves framerates in towers. Now I want to know why:p

Well I can't really explain it either, all I really did was to remove FXAA and reducing the SSAO draw distance while keeping the SSAO level on 4 in DX11 o.o But I'm glad my config helps some people out, have fun playing! :D

where can i find his config? link?

Here is the post where I shared my config :) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45020008&postcount=1214

Jtrizzy

Sorry to ask this for the millionth time, but is there a link on how to do the whole VPN thing. I thought this would unlock at midnight but it's not till tomorrow morning.

Xander51

What's up with this not unlocking for 23 hours? They did the same for AC3.

10AM Pacific is a frequently used unlock time in the US for Steam, even though many games now do midnight releases.

I'm looking forward to seeing how well my machine can handle this.

kamspy

GTX 680 stock OC
AMD 1100t 6 core @ 3.5Ghz
8 GB RAM

Getting mostly 60fps @ 1080p with:

DX11

AA off
V sync 1 frame
2 frames buffered (idc about input lag in game like this)
PostFX medium
Shadows 1 tick down from max

Everything not noted here is maxed out (HDAO etc).

Only drops are in dense population.

Runs MUCH better than expected.

BiggaWhat

Neo Member
Not sure if this has been said already but I noticed a strange difference between DX9 and DX11. In DX9 my frames are generally better when I'm just walking around the jungle or in a town or something, but tank when I overlook a big area, like from the top of a cliff or something. When I switch to DX11 my frames are slightly lower when walking around the jungle and whatnot, but stay much higher when overlooking a big open space.

kamspy

Have you guys struggling on DX11 tried turning PostFX down to Medium?

Did the trick 100% for me and the game looks as good as any I've seen.

Sethos

Banned
Rarely ever mess with Nvidia Inspector, aren't these the correct settings? ( For SGSAA )

They don't appear to work.

ibhghJIMdZfTD8.png

NBtoaster

Whoa, pretty good, do you mind to post your complete config? Resolution, game settings and Inspector settings?

I haven't used the in game setting, just the XML file. I've disabled depth of field, SSAO and motion blur for now, and it's DX9. Relevant part of GamerProfile.xml:

Code:
	<RenderProfile MSAALevel="0" AlphaToCoverage="0" SSAOLevel="1" SDSM="0" ResolutionX="1920" ResolutionY="1080" Quality="custom" QualityEditor="editor_ps3" Fullscreen="0" Borderless="1" UseD3D11="0" D3D11MultithreadedRendering="0" WidescreenLetterbox="0" UseWidescreenFOV="1" FOVScaleFactor="1.26" EnableSubResolution="0" SubResolutionX="1920" SubResolutionY="1080" VSync="1" RefreshRate="0" DisableMip0Loading="0" GPUMaxBufferedFrames="0" ShowFPS="0" MaxFPS="60" Brightness="1" Contrast="1" GammaRamp="1" AllowAsynchShaderLoading="1">
		<CustomQuality>
			<quality ResolutionX="1920" ResolutionY="1080" EnvironmentQuality="high" AntiPortalQuality="default" PortalQuality="medium" PostFxQuality="ultrahigh" TextureQuality="high" TextureResolutionQuality="high" WaterQuality="veryhigh" DepthPassQuality="high" VegetationQuality="veryhigh" TerrainQuality="high" GeometryQuality="ultrahigh" AmbientQuality="high" DeferredAmbientQuality="high" ShadowQuality="veryhigh" EditorQuality="" Hdr="1" HdrFP32="0" ReflectionHdr="1" EnableVertexBinding="1" id="custom" />
		</CustomQuality>
		<Post>
			<quality GameDepthOfField="0" CinematicDepthOfField="0" FXAALevel="0" SSAO="0" MotionBlur="0" id="ultrahigh" />
		</Post>
       </RenderProfile>

Inspector:

http://i6.minus.com/j4IjNcUzrIUiL.PNG

Ledsen

got the same issue with InjectSMAA, which I've used in plenty of other games without issues

weird

and yeah had to first start the game in DX11, then set it to DX9, restart the game, exit again, then copy your DX9 config ... but all that was without injectors :p

I'm going to try some different combinations/things I guess, but I can't find anyone on google with a suggestion on what might be the issue here :(

edit:got the game from GMG so just basic Uplay, no other software even in the task manager right now ;)

You need to put the .dll and .ini files in the /bin directory, and the other two files in the /Far Cry 3 directory. That solved the crashing for me.

Can you please confirm that SSAO you added in the list is actually working ?

Well going by that screenshot I think it works http://i.imgur.com/vg54C.jpg

Not sure if this has been said already but I noticed a strange difference between DX9 and DX11. In DX9 my frames are generally better when I'm just walking around the jungle or in a town or something, but tank when I overlook a big area, like from the top of a cliff or something. When I switch to DX11 my frames are slightly lower when walking around the jungle and whatnot, but stay much higher when overlooking a big open space.

I have pretty much exact the same thing happening to me if you look back at the last two pages :/

Yeah, I got pretty much the same with both settings for that too. This engine is weird.

It sure is, I can't make any sense of it :/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
People who post about using SGSAA without posting their compatibility bits are worst people of all. All these reports of the existing posted bits causing everything to dissappear is worrying, so if you have it working normally post your damn bits.

Sethos

Banned
The SLI bits are the ones you told me about and they certainly work.

I have not been able to get SGSSAA to work in DX11.

Oh yeah, know about the SLI but I was thinking in terms of the SGSAA. People are saying it works with those bits under DX9. Doesn't work at all for me.

Dennis

Banned
People who post about using SGSAA without posting their compatibility bits are worst people of all.

Have they actually managed to enable SGSSAA though?

When I hear people say they are playing at 1080p and up with ungodly levels of SGSSAA and MSAA and still get 60 fps I am......doubtful...

Belief is a powerful drug and makes the brain see smooth lines where there are jagged edges.

NBtoaster

I couldn't SGSSAA working unless I put the bit [0x004012C1] into both the anitaliasing compatability and anitaliasing combatability (DX1x) fields.

Sethos

Banned
Have they actually managed to enable SGSSAA though?

When I hear people say they are playing at 1080p and up with ungodly levels of SGSSAA and MSAA and still get 60 fps I am......doubtful...

Belief is a powerful drug and makes the brain see smooth lines where there is jagged edges.

That's very true. Looking at screenshots the supposed SGSAA they're are jaggied as shit.

I couldn't SGSSAA working unless I put the bit [0x004012C1] into both the anitaliasing compatability and anitaliasing combatability (DX1x) fields.

Sure it works in your screenshots man? I see jaggies all over the place.

But I did try with both fields, changes nothing.

NBtoaster

That's very true. Looking at screenshots the supposed SGSAA they're are jaggied as shit.

Sure it works in your screenshots man? I see jaggies all over the place.

But I did try with both fields, changes nothing.

It's working, 2x just isn't very good.

Here's 4x sparse grid (and I have FXAA disabled too):

ibmc81XX0JCKBQ.png

n0n44m

I've been trying SGSAA for the past hour;

got the same settings as Sethos

it works when I look at the (massively increasing) VRAM usage

on screen the difference isn't huge though, especially with 2x. I'm already downsampling from 2880*1620 to 1080p ... 4x is ~45 fps with that kind of downsampling

worse is the issue I have with it; after a couple of minutes I get some weird graphical bugs :

-water disappears (fish floating above the ocean floor lol)
-no fire or explosions visible
-ironsighting = entire screen foggy/DoF'ed

gonna try some native 1080p SGSAA now, see if that works without those issues ... else I'll probably go back to DX11 / 2x MSAA / 120 Hz

You need to put the .dll and .ini files in the /bin directory, and the other two files in the /Far Cry 3 directory. That solved the crashing for me.

I'll try that later, but like I posted setting Uplay to offline mode works as well

well it's more of a workaround but still :)

noomi

mine works too via inspector, running game in dx9, added bit to only the regular compatibility field and not the dx11 one....

too much blur and my FPS drops down to like 25. Not worth it... Maybe a negative LOD value would offset the blur, but still the performance cost is too much for me, I get better performance out of the in-game MSAA...

ibwD1rNA9wDuq2.png

Sethos

Banned
At least yours is somewhat working n0n44m :p

My GPU temps don't rise, image is still a bog standard non-AA image and that's it.

n0n44m

At least yours is somewhat working n0n44m :p

My GPU temps don't rise, image is still a bog standard non-AA image and that's it.

hehe even 8x SGSSAA works at 1080p :p FRAPS says ~60 fps but it feels terrible so it's probably microstuttering like hell (98% GPU usage on both cards, ~1800 MB VRAM usage)

it does look quite good in daylight in the jungle.

Night time in the base where I spawn I still see lots of "jaggies" though on the street lights and buildings :(

but maybe those are artifacts of some kind? just like blood pools viewed from a distance have a white outline ...

legacyzero

Banned
So while experimenting with the game file, I set the FXquality=false.

It boosted my FPS up to like 65. What did that do exactly? What does that take out besides DOF?

VashTS

I think the steam version isn't unlocking until 12pm est tomorrow. Also you should get an email when it's available for download.

I think I'm set with my configuration. I copied and paste Skyfire's config into mines and then I tried switching to DX9 and really can't tell the difference.

So far on my stock GT 550 TI, 8GB DDR3 Ram and Amd Fx4100 OC'd to 4.0GHZ my game runs like water @ 45-60 fps on 1280x720P(playing on 720P LCD HDTV).

All my settings are on high and POST FX is on Ultra and it looks fantastic with the blur(I like motion blur.)
I got SweetFX running with it too but I can't tell if it's actually "on" or not.

I had this nasty microstuttering issue and I found a fix.

I'll edit my post with my exact settings.

Just to be certain, you are running the dx9 executable for this correct? it won't work with dx11.

The AA is really a pain in the ass in FC3 :/

That's correct, tried both bits. But I haven't tried it with the bits in both AA category (as suggested) so maybe that's the fix?

I'm debating signing back in to Steam so i can download FC2 - problem is FC3 would be locked again and I'd have to go through the trouble if I wanted to play it at all before tomorrow.

Top Bottom