• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

scitek

Is it weird that I'm playing FC3 @ 1280x720 in order to achieve solid 60fps @ Ultra / DX11 / Vsync enabled, or should I be trying to figure out a better balance of settings at my monitors 1920x1080 native res.

Not sure but I'm really enjoying the smoothness of 60fps.

What are your specs?

Sethos

Banned
So basically, with DX11 for me:

Pros: Best AO, HDAO. Tiny, tiny bit better water reflection according to some. Better lighting ( Can't see the difference ).

Cons: MSAA kills performance, no SMAA.

DX9:

Pros: Can add 2xMSAA + SMAA and get the exact same GPU temp as with DX11, plus I get a identical look to DX11 in every other visual aspect almost. Better draw distance on objects.

Cons: Bit worse AO.

There's so little incentive to use DX11 with this crappy implementation, MSAA and SMAA actually makes DX9 desirable now.

So basically, with DX11 for me:

Pros: Best AO, HDAO. Tiny, tiny bit better water reflection according to some. Better lighting ( Can't see the difference ).

Cons: MSAA kills performance, no SMAA.

DX9:

Pros: Can add 2xMSAA + SMAA and get the exact same GPU temp as with DX11, plus I get a identical look to DX11 in every other visual aspect almost. Better draw distance on objects.

Cons: Bit worse AO.

There's so little incentive to use DX11 with this crappy implementation, MSAA and SMAA actually makes DX9 desirable now.

How do you get 2x MSAA on DX9?

Erebus

With a GTX 460 OC'ed, at 1080p the game hovers around 30fps most of the time for me. My settings are: DX11, HDAO, 2xMSAA, shadows at high, postFX at medium and everything else at max. Also, I'm using D3DOverrider to force triple buffering.

farcry31nnogr.jpg

farcry326e9oai.jpg

farcry310dirlv.jpg

Lettuce

So what are the ideal settings to have for this have SMAA turned off completely? and run in DX9??

Also is there a way to show the fps your getting in game?

Sethos

Banned
With DX9, print screen doesn't take 5 seconds and I can properly Alt + Tab the game without some half-arsed window mode that heats up the GPU. Can even run SweetFX and add a tiny bit of sharpening but that's a personal preference of course.

ONLY issue I have with DX9 right now is some light water shimmering in the distance when moving, however I'm not using water "Very High" instead of "High", as I thought that was the max. So might not be a DX9 issue, not sure.

This is the worst DX11 implementation I've seen in a game to date. I can't even recommend it.

Xander51

Interesting to see that this game has a similar vegetation issue to Far Cry 2, regarding DX 11 vs. DX 9. Maybe I'll just run this game in DX 9.

With DX9, print screen doesn't take 5 seconds and I can properly Alt + Tab the game without some half-arsed window mode that heats up the GPU. Can even run SweetFX and add a tiny bit of sharpening but that's a personal preference of course.

ONLY issue I have with DX9 right now is some light water shimmering in the distance when moving, however I'm not using water "Very High" instead of "High", as I thought that was the max. So might not be a DX9 issue, not sure.

This is the worst DX11 implementation I've seen in a game to date. I can't even recommend it.

So how would I run SweetFX? Meaning, where to put the files?

erbazzone

Neo Member
Played like 4 hours today... without any crashes. Do you have DX9 enabled? If yes try DX11. When you used DX11 then try DX9. And do you have 1.01?

I changed from D9 to DX11 today and voila... everything at medium/1024xblabla and 30 fps more (better then the normal 10 fps with everything on low and 800x600 i had befor)

Changed from DX11 to DX9 and two hours without crash, game runs better also...

scitek

Just into the "bin" folder where the .exe's reside.

Also, does anyone know how to disable SweetFX's Print Screen feature? Now it's dumping 16mb BMPs in the Bin folder whenever I use Print Screen.

In the "injector" file you can change the key for screenshots.

AEREC

Oh my, quick load as well. FC2 had them so I thought it would be strange for FC3 not to.

Kinda wish they were a feature that did not make it over from fc2. I'll be playing with a controller on PC anyways so they'll be easy for me to ignore.

Quick saving needs to be removed from gaming.

haikira

For 2x MSAA in DX9, what number should i put in MSAALevel=""?

Not sure if it should be "1" as in the first option, or "2" for 2x.

Ledsen

Pretty sure the AA setting in the xml doesn't do anything in DX9. I'm sure I've read that deferred rendering makes MSAA impossible in DX9.

Been messing around with dx9 and dx11 and 9 would be fine if it weren't for the AA issue. It finally made me relent and sacrifice the extra FPS. Still never drops below 30 on dx11 though and that's ok for me.

Honestly it's hard to tell the difference, except when it comes to those white and jagged lines. They seem less pronounced in dx11, though not totally absent. Can't crank msaa all the way up, though.

noomi

so from what I've gathered from browsing many other forums.... For a nice performance boost disable the in-game AA and then just force it through either nvidia CP or inspector.

Just trying to figure out now if I actually need to use an AA flag for this, or just force AA without a flag and be done with it.

Wish I was home now :/

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I have drops to 30 fps in some cutscenes and scenes with many people (i5-2500k, GTX670) but the game looks next-gen so I'm fine with it.

scitek

so from what I've gathered from browsing many other forums.... For a nice performance boost disable the in-game AA and then just force it through either nvidia CP or inspector.

Just trying to figure out now if I actually need to use an AA flag for this, or just force AA without a flag and be done with it.

Wish I was home now :/

Forcing AA doesn't work with me in DX9 mode. You'll need a flag, and no one seems to have one yet.

iNvid02

I have drops to 30 fps in some cutscenes and scenes with many people (i5-2500k, GTX670) but the game looks next-gen so I'm fine with it.

woah lol, if this is next gen i want to bail out now
KuGsj.gif

it looks nice, and roaming around through trees viewing the island at a smooth 60 feels incredible but next gen has to bring more to the table.

i've also seen some horribly lowres textures on the side of islands, horrilby low

So sobering how quickly PC gear becomes outdated. I would like to switch from console gaming, but the recurring cost of upgrades due to unoptimized gaming code is too much.

iNvid02

So sobering how quickly PC gear becomes outdated. I would like to switch from console gaming, but the recurring cost of upgrades due to unoptimized gaming code is too much.

in my experience a lot of aaa games are trash at launch, a lot. unless you have enough brute force power it's not gonna be a smooth experience.

however, if you wait 6-9 months 3-6 months after a couple of patches and driver updates, things are generally excellent for most setups. and you get the added bonus of price drops and sales.

there is the odd title that skips a beat - hitman absolution for instance was superb and ran flawlessly out of the box - noticing a trend here with square's games

still, its difficult going back after you been on pc - for me anyway

Eideka

Banned
still, its difficult going back after you been on pc - for me anyway

Besides, for a PC game not to be playable with superior visual fidelity than console, you have to have a shitty rig.

A colleague of mine is running the game with a 5870, a GC from 2009 and it runs really well at 1600*900 medium/high settings in DX9 according to him.

Set your config to Read-only and stay out of the video options once you're in-game. It resets SSAO to default if you do.

Downsampling does wonders.

screenshot0005lopo3.png

Is this shot in DX9? I didn't know you could get god rays using DX9. That was the only reason keeping me from switching from DX11.

Sethos

Banned
Is this shot in DX9? I didn't know you could get god rays using DX9. That was the only reason keeping me from switching from DX11.

You can. There is no visible difference between DX11 and DX9 really.

DX11:

- Access to MSAA, few people seem to use it due to its horrid performance
- TINY bit better water, difference is negligible
- Access to HDAO
- People claim there's a lighting difference, I've seen none

DX9:

- Better performance
- Can add AO through the config, some settings almost on par with HDAO
- Better draw distance on trees
- Can use SMAA / SweetFX
- Allows proper Alt + Tabbing. DX11 does some weird windowed mode that works the GPU

Outside of that, they're identical. This game has the worst DX11 implemention I've seen

Unless you are desperate for MSAA, I really can't recommend DX11.

Dennis

Banned
A few questions:

1. How to turn the HUD off?

2. How to take screenshots with HUD elements off?

3. Any tweaks to increase the quality of the graphics? Any guides?

JRW

I'm probably overlooking something but these medkits I see laying around.. every time I try to get one it wont let me (makes a beep sound), You can see in my pic I have 0 medical and anytime I press Q to heal he does the slow heal (bandage roll).

kogJB.jpg

I'm going to try DX9 today, I can't stand the lack of AA in DX11 (don't have the power to use MSAA at 2560x1440) and plan to use SMAA. Never used the injector before, does someone have a link? Any setting up required dependent on res etc?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
woah lol, if this is next gen i want to bail out now
KuGsj.gif

Maybe he meant next gen consoles.

Also I'm pre-loaded but still can't play; I must be doing something wrong (or not doing something wrong).

You can. There is no visible difference between DX11 and DX9 really.

DX11:

- Access to MSAA, few people seem to use it due to its horrid performance
- TINY bit better water, difference is negligible
- Access to HDAO
- People claim there's a lighting difference, I've seen none

DX9:

- Better performance
- Can add AO through the config, some settings almost on par with HDAO
- Better draw distance on trees
- Can use SMAA / SweetFX
- Allows proper Alt + Tabbing. DX11 does some weird windowed mode that works the GPU

Outside of that, they're identical. This game has the worst DX11 implemention I've seen

Unless you are desperate for MSAA, I really can't recommend DX11.

Thanks. Since I already don't use MSAA, I think I'm going to make a permanent switch to DX9.

Sethos

Banned
I even hear that forcing AO from Nvidia Inspector with FC2 compatibility bits provide a much better looking AO than even HDAO at a better performance rate, however the flag is ultra dodgy and it works sporadically. So if Nvidia adds a proper flag ...

Every setting in this game is some half-arsed, poor performing crap. They really got the intern to crowbar in this shit.

Top Bottom