• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 Review Thread

DTKT

UI is the only element that has almost never really changed over the past 10 years. It's always obnoxious and terrible.

We need UI designers. :\

If it's having all those framerate and tearing issues on 360 and PS3, I wouldnt want to see it on Wii U.
okayguy.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tropical Island game.

EatChildren wants ice level and fire level.

Desert level. Grassy plains level. Star Road.

See am the opposite. It puts out the idea of isolation and just not having a clue what is going on. Am not really a fan off the paths being too obvious.

Lush tropical jungle paradises aren't the only places like that though, which is my problem, as it's always the first choice. I'd love to see other wildernesses tackled in games like these.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm kind of worried. The Steam store doesn't list controller support for this. I know someone's going to say 'oh kb+m', but the 360 pad works better with the setup I plan to play this in.

JebusF

Neo Member
Did any of the reviews mention about the stealth still broken? If I can creep up on people using a silenced pistol without being noticed, then consider my hype increased.

Yep, you can stab them and if you've unlocked the right skill, drag them off immediately and silently.

Or, you can stab them, pull their grenade and push them into a crowd.

I'm kind of worried. The Steam store doesn't list controller support for this. I know someone's going to say 'oh kb+m', but the 360 pad works better with the setup I plan to play this in.

I'm sure I saw it in the options during a gameplay video. I'd be shocked if native Xbox 360 controller support was missing.

ironcreed

Banned
May sound tired to some, but I could totally see a zombie add-on for this game. Would be amazing with the island, drugs, animals, fire, etc.

The reviews are a good sign.

But after the PC Gamer 91% review of FC2 I'll still be waiting on actual impressions- it all feels too good to be true!

Syriel

WorthPlaying Review - 9.0/10

WorthPlaying said:
Packed with content, visually stunning and simply fun to play, it's difficult to find fault with Far Cry 3. Once you step into Jason's shoes, the urge to explore takes over, and you'll find yourself wasting hours wandering the island and trying to complete "just one more objective." Don't say we didn't warn you.

There better is a way to turn that shit off.

777777777alqf5.png

I mean, what the fuck?

That screen is the result of using a power up that you've crafted from the plants on the island.

Yes, PC version supports 360 controller.

shinnn

Far Cry 2 is one of the biggest frustration of the generation for me. But FC3 looks really awesome.

No more weapon degradation? thank god.

Loxley

I'm watching the 45 minutes of PS3 footage posted earlier in the thread and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it's performance. Yeah, it's got tearing, pop-in, and framerate dips, but at this point that's par for the course for a new open-world game running on six year-old hardware. Dragon's Dogma and AC3 both had those as well, and at this point I think expecting a flawless 30fps experience from a sandbox game is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Good reviews. The game looks fantastic.

"Like hell I'm sitting through the worst video streaming software on the internet to take notes of what they say."

KuGsj.gif
Got me.

Loved FarCry 2 and got lost in that world for far too long.

These are dangerously good reviews. Will definitely pick up in the near future.

Eideka

Banned
PC gamers be warned : this game will be quite brutal on your machine

I posted this in another thread but I believe people who plan on purchasing the game on PC might find it useful :

qitd8.png

sammy

I'm really excited about this. FC2 was a blast to just wander about and it sounds like this one's got a really neat environment.

sp3000

I posted this in another thread but I believe people who plan on purchasing the game on PC might find it useful :

qitd8.png

There was nothing in the game that looked graphically intensive. Is it even using any DX11 effects like tessellation

Seems like just an unoptimized game

NBtoaster

qitd8.png

A shame it doesn't seem to support MSAA.

Poor 570 :( I'll turn off SSAO anyway because it's way too thick.

ironcreed

Banned
Obscene amount of things to do in a world that is alive and there doing it's own things even without you. Looks like stuff hidden everywhere as well.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm okay with a story of rich white 20-something Americans being systematically tortured and murdered. Thanks!

My bet is on you finding and eventually saving at least a few (maybe even most) of your friends by the time the game ends but these dudebros don't really recognize the person you have become as your friend anymore.

From shots and partying and laughing about how silly this little pirate island is - kidnapped - 5 weeks later your old buddy kicks the door in with his eyes full of crazy, covers your mouth and spit talks into your face to stay quite. Cuts the ropes and leads you to the door whereupon you find 50+ dead/decapitated/stabbed/burned and fed to bears islanders just laying around. And he somehow managed to get a new sleeve since you landed.

"Uh thanks for saving me man ... for sure... can we like... take seperate boats home??"
"Home??!!.... i AM home."

RyudBoy

That's the worst screen tearing I've ever seen. Didn't even finish watching the video.

Edit: Oh god, just started watching the 45 min video of the PS3 version and that looks to be just as bad. You know it's bad when you can see tearing while just walking forward. I will say though that the scale of the island looks amazing. Hope the frame rate stays solid throughout.

So 31 fps for me? Fuck this, consoles stay the same, PC specs get steeper and steeper for the same games. Hopefully I can find a nice balance without turning too much shit off and throw in some injector AA.

Eideka

Banned
Damn, my GTX 570 ain't ready for this.

FC3 being part of AMD's gaming program I doubt Nvidia have had access to the game and we can be certain that they are already working on WHQL drivers.

It runs very well for AMD users out of the box as many "Gaming Evolved" titles.

Salsa

qitd8.png

guess i'll play it on the TV (1360x768) to get constant 60fps from my 680

is the blue bar average or max?

ironcreed

Banned
Also, I had no idea you could base jump, glide with a wing suit and pull a parachute just whenever. At least that is what it looked like in that PS3 footage. Little hint of Just Cause 2 there... but with more to do.

Even though I thought this looked great, it's getting much better reviews than I expected.

qitd8.png

What the fuck? If the game looks good on consoles, I should be able to run it well on my 570.

qitd8.png

still debating over a 7970 or a 7950. I might change to a 7970 once the black friday deals show up on NCIX.

Top Bottom