• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC reviews delayed until release

Alasfree

I'll check but there are presets for Low, Medium, High, Ultra and Nvidia which puts everything to ultra including their propriety tech. It's a nice feature and isn't as overused as I thought it would be. My only gripe with the game, visually, is the iffy ambient occlusion (choice of SSAO, SSBC or HBAO+); NPC's have a strange opaque glow about them in darker areas, this happened in FC3 as well. Unless it's my GPU? Hmmmm
SSBC? Never heard of it, how does it look compared to HBAO? Can you take a few screens?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
SSBC? Never heard of it, how does it look compared to HBAO? Can you take a few screens?

I don't think he'll be doing too much in this thread now :p

Certainly seems to be much more polished from the footage out there on youtube in comparison to say Unity.

Xyber

Well, these early impressions from the pirated version that are missing the day 1 patch sure gives me more hope in this game than I had a few days ago.

I have my finger on the buy button, it is tempting.

lvluffinz

Neo Member
HBAO+ really makes the game pop.

It definitely does. The other settings were on mostly High/Very High. HBAO+ to SSBC gains about 5-8fps on his rig.

ALSO, he was running it on his Y510P if anyone is interested. GT 750M SLI and he just used the Far Cry 3 profile in nvidiainspector and it runs perfect.

Posted? This will supposedly be in the day 1 patch

################################################## ##############################
Ubisoft Entertainment
Far Cry® 4 v1.2.0
################################################## ##############################

Added ability to change FOV scaling.
Added nVidia GeForce Experience support.
Fixed various controls issues
Fixed various Graphic issues
Fixed various IGE issues
Fixed various Multi-GPU issues
Fixed various Multi-Monitor issues
Fixed various UI issues
Playing a map from Map Browser two times now don’t trigger an Error.
Skills, Crafting and Progress Menu now cannot be accessed while playing a created map.

Ubisoft Entertainment
Far Cry® 4 v1.1.0

Fixed crash in IGE.
Fixed an issue with incorrect characters in map naming.
Fixed screen tearing when performing a handgun takedown.
Fixed various controls issues
Fixed various Graphic issues
Fixed various IGE issues
Fixed various localization issues
Fixed various Multi-GPU issues
Fixed various Multi-Monitor issues
Fixed various multiplayer issues
Fixed various sound issues
Fixed various UI issues
Fixed various Uplay Actions issues
Fixed various Uplay Rewards issues
Saved maps from IGE and Downloaded now can be opened in the Editor from in-game.
Skills, Crafting and Progress Menu now cannot be accessed in Arena.
The game now boot if the game folder name contains Cyrillic characters.
The game now boot on Korean localization.

So whats the general consensus of the performance without the day 1 patch been so far? I need to know, so I can preorder and preload this puppy on PC or PS4.

Cheers!

Friend eh,

HBAO+ is the goat setting.

I disagree, you can clearly see in the SSBC screenshots the extra color detail around lights. HBAO+ looks dull/darker in comparison. SSBC isn't just adding shadows, but lighting too.

Well, in motion it could be a different story (SSBC could be shimmering and shit, I know HBAO+ doesn't) but just from those stills I prefer SSBC.

lvluffinz

Neo Member
I disagree, you can clearly see in the SSBC screenshots the extra color detail around lights. HBAO+ looks dull/darker in comparison. SSBC isn't just adding shadows, but lighting too.

Well, in motion it could be a different story (SSBC could be shimmering and shit, I know HBAO+ doesn't) but just from those stills I prefer SSBC.

My friend now tells me those screenshots aren't doing the game justice. Apparently there seems to be a shadow issue with HBAO+ which results in drastically darker shadows to the point of not being able to distinguish a single detail. An area would just be black as ever. You can see that evident in some of the stills where even by the candles its dark as ever.

He fixed it by turning the Lighting to low, and everything looks much better. Others have found fixes by sticking to SSAO or turning shadows to Medium.

I assume the Day 1 patch should rectify that.

Seanspeed

Banned
You'd be an even bigger fool if you bought a PC game before it was properly tested and benchmarked.
I trust some games with this, but definitely not Ubisoft titles.

Really though, people need to really calm down about jumping to worst-case scenario assumptions before the facts are in. Be cautious, be concerned, whatever, just dont go bashing and treating things like they are definitely bad when we dont even know anything yet. It does not produce interesting discussion, it just produces mass panic that no amount of reason can penetrate. I was even being pointed as 'part of the problem' earlier in the thread, with people saying I was doing all sorts of things I wasn't. Basically, people dont listen because they are in panic/outrage/negativity mode and dont know how to shut it off.

And some people still haven't stopped:

LET.

PUBLISHERS.

GET.

AWAY.

WITH.

MAKING.

SHIT.

GAMES.
Far Cry 4 is a 'shit' game? I'm not going to boycott Ubisoft because Unity didn't turn out well. lol

Seanspeed

Banned
It's a shit game if it runs like garbage on PC.
IF

So far, it sounds like runs just fine. Will you admit that its fine to buy Far Cry 4 if it runs fine? Or do you demand that I still boycott Ubisoft for an unrelated game's performance?

Top Bottom