• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 "targeting" 1080p on Xbox One and PS4

Nzyme32

1080p on PC huh? Sounds like that would be hard to implement ubi. You been having a natter with Squenix recently?

XB1 can do games in 1080p. Just not as good as PS4. So assuming both consoles strengths are being used, it's about what sacrifices have to be made to the XB1 version of the game. That's why resolution alone doesn't tell the whole story.

Who cares which version is better. These consoles should be doing 1080p/30 locked fps at the bare minimum. Developers need to be made aware that anything less on either consoles, is a disappointment.

But because xbox only gamers don't care, they think all gamers don't care.

theWB27

are there any hopes to achieve 60 fps on consoles ?

As it has been for quite some time on consoles....it's upto the dev. Since they want games to be pretty as possible...30fps is the choice they make most of the time.

Who cares which version is better. These consoles should be doing 1080p/30 locked fps at the bare minimum. Developers need to be made aware that anything less on either consoles, is a disappointment.

But because xboX only gamers don't care, they think all gamers don't care.

That's a mighty fine claim.

Zeth

That "including PC" line is both hilarious and really, really sad. I wonder who wrote that.
You can tell by the way these things are said/worded that the people supplying the answers are utterly clueless with regard to technical aspects of a game. One can only hope someone who knows what they're talking about is the source of said info.

SeanTSC

But because xboX only gamers don't care, they think all gamers don't care.

I agree with that for the PS4, but that's not possible on the XB1 for every engine due to the ESRAM and Deferred Renderers. Though if everyone went with Forward Plus going forward it'd be possible, but I don't know if that'd be the best solution for every game.

You can tell by the way these things are said/worded that the people supplying the answers are utterly clueless with regard to technical aspects of a game. One can only hope someone who knows what they're talking about is the source of said info.

The funny thing is most of these PR people they hire don't even play video games.

sam777

If both consoles are 1080 for this game then maybe the difference between this and AC Unity is the number of characters on screen in Unity causing the game to be 900p. Just a thought, I have no expertise with this stuff.

Mr Moose

So wait... Up to 1080p on PC? Oh, Ubisoft...

It's already confirmed to be 1080/30 on PS4. That question dodge was pretty funny.

Is there parity across all the systems then...?
"Yeah... oh look, an Elephant!"

If both consoles are 1080 for this game then maybe the difference between this and AC Unity is the number of characters on screen in Unity causing the game to be 900p. Just a thought, I have no expertise with this stuff.

I thought that was about framerate, and it should've been 1080p?

Conduit

Banned
UPDATE: Ubisoft has released the following statement on Twitter:

We have not locked the resolution as yet but, as Alex Hutchinson notes, we are aiming for 1080p on all platforms, including PC (depending on the computer you have).

What a bad PR.

UPDATE: Ubisoft has released the following statement on Twitter:

We have not locked the resolution as yet but, as Alex Hutchinson notes, we are aiming for 1080p on all platforms, including PC (depending on the computer you have).

What a bad PR.

Thats hilarious.

I can't get my head around that quote. Firstly confirms it to be 1080, but then backs out and says though it is too technical.

Too technical? It is one number. Or are they going to pull some Halo stunt and given the lack of 'p' in this quote, it'll be something stupid like 1217 by 1080 on Xbox One and 1080p on PS4 and he couldn't remember the horizontal number.

As it has been for quite some time on consoles....it's upto the dev. Since they want games to be pretty as possible...30fps is the choice they make most of the time.

That's a mighty fine claim.

Well when you downplay the difference between 900p and 1080p, what message are you sending the developers?

DeweyChat

Banned
So much bullshit, the game is out in a month the resolution is fixed for a while, why Ubi wants to keep it secret??

A day before the release we'll have a DF analysis with true numbers, they better play transparency instead of hiding this

paparazzo

Uh, how can it be "targeting" 1080p if it's supposed to be going gold in the next week or so to make it's Nov. 18 release?

Montresor

Would much rather see 900p with better frame rate and effects.

Ideally I want to see 1080p PS4 and 900p XB1 with all else being equal (frame rate, effects). That's not always possible but I think that's way better than resolution parity (with both consoles getting 1080p) and then XB1 gamers getting frame rate drops and screen tearing.

Raptor

They better use that power for performance, I want locked 30fps no tearing and no microstuttering.

Do that and you got my money.

Piggus

Guess they're not CPU bound?

Ugh, can people stop believing Ubi's horse shit about ACU running at 900p on PS4 because of the CPU?

ACU is running at 900p on PS4 because Ubisoft are morons, not because of a CPU bottleneck. The CPU has almost nothing to do with resolution.

Kezen

Banned
PC version only goes up to 1080p to avoid debates.

Even then there would be a debate because the PC packs significant improvements over the console versions :
GameWorks-Far-Cry-4-(1)_575px.jpg

Thankfully the PC is above those parity issues, no matter what hardware you have it will always include all those options.

BibiMaghoo

Even then there would be a debate because the PC packs significant improvements over the console versions :

Thankfully the PC is above those parity issues, no matter what hardware you have it will always include all those options.

Even for AMD cards?

;)

thefit

Semen....hehehehe

Eusis

Uh, how can it be "targeting" 1080p if it's supposed to be going gold in the next week or so to make it's Nov. 18 release?
Magical launch day patch with the one two combo of Microsoft helping push them up there and pulling the stick out of their ass in regards to PS4 and parity (well, I guess raising it to 1080p on XB1 means parity will roughly be there anyway.)

FeiRR

Banned
[...]

Yeah, right.

valkyre

Is this legit or is it BS?

Supposedly PS4 version will indeed be running in 1080p

the main focus point is Far Cry 4, which according to Hutchinson, will be running on 1080p and 30FPS on PS4. The reason why the game is not running on 60FPS is design-related, as Far Cry 4′s creative director explained to fans. “We’d have to simplify the art, have less people or events on screen or make other sacrifices,” he said. Following up on that, in detail specs for PC and Xbox One will be soon available. “We will announce all PC and console specs in crazy detail very soon: no point restricting it to twitter. XBone looks great.” Hutchinson also shared his personal opinion regarding the game’s graphical aspect on PS4 compared to Xbox One: “I would say identical but then some asshat would say a tree had one more leaf on xbone. So let’s say I don’t see a difference.”

http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/10/...on-and-fps-shares-other-game-related-details/

valkyre

1080p has already been confirmed a while ago. No idea about Xbox One.
Supposedly, 30fps capped on both.

A nice, thought it was "targeting" state a while ago. Nevertheless thanks was looking for confirmation that this thing will run in 1080p on PS4.

IMO all of these games should be 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbone, and then like-for-like otherwise in assets, textures, and framerate. That makes sense with the power gap between the two, and to steal from Bioware, maximizes the current potential of each.

If they decided to go 30fps to retain some of the more complex graphical effects, then I'm okay with that. He came out and said it, so thats fine.

I think people have come to grips with 1080p vs 900p at this point, so devs shouldn't be afraid of it.

Gestault

Late-comer nitpick, but it's weird how the title has "targeting" in quotes, even though (a) it would be unnecessary at this point, because it's an intent, not a claim, and (b) the actual quote was "aiming" for 1080p.

Is this legit or is it BS?

Supposedly PS4 version will indeed be running in 1080p

http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/10/...on-and-fps-shares-other-game-related-details/

I don't get how people can even claim they look identical given hardware disparities...slight might be accurate given GPU differences as exhibited on PC. But anything otherwise is stupidity. On the other hand, taking a neutral position may in their interests verses the consumer, but it isn't truthful unless they are going for parity...

Top Bottom