• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal uses the same map (heavily updated) as Far Cry 4.

Mattenth

I'm really curious... did Ubisoft actually think they could get away with this? Heh.

I don't really care, but I do find it funny.

Far Cry 4:

HvaxoQK.jpg

tiD747x.jpg

Basically the same area on FCP, forgot to take screenshot of the map.

rSO8gu2.jpg

Yep they sure look the same lol.

Zeta Oni

I'm really curious... did Ubisoft actually think they could get away with this? Heh.

I don't really care, but I do find it funny.

In this day in age, there's no way they didn't.

I would imagine that they just figure Primal is a strong enough game on its own for something like this to be a huge issue.

Something I'd have to agree with.

Yep they sure look the same lol.

Exactly what I thought. If needed, I'll load up primal and take a screenshot from the exact location, but I think that proves the point just fine.

antitrop

Really?

That's kind of amazing if true.

Far Cry 4 shipped November 2014, Primal was February 2016. Both games are primarily developed by Ubisoft Montreal (with help from other studios, like all Ubisoft games), so yeah, like 1 1/2 years.

Fezan

If re using assets and map allow developers to give us unique time periods and setting then I am all for it. Far cry primal was a risky move and may be they needed ti cut dine corners ti get it made

Ghazi

My guess is that Primal was originally going to be a Blood Dragon kind of thing.
If re using assets and map allow developers to give us unique time periods and setting then I am all for it. Far cry primal was a risky move and may be they needed ti cut dine corners ti get it made
Lol. Far Cry Primal was not a risky move.

PnCIa

Funny. Ubisoft is already getting shit for making the same game over and over again, this is just more of the same.

Since the landscape of FC4 is devoid of any character whatsoever...its so interchangeable anyways, so why not reuse it.

sjay1994

Funny. Ubisoft is already getting shit for making the same game over and over again, this is just more of the same.

Since the landscape of FC4 is devoid of any character whatsoever...its so interchangeable anyways, so why not reuse it.

Bullshit.

dreamfall

I'm not mad about it. I can't wait to pick up the game later, and it looks like a completely different experience in a lot of good ways.

Can you kill someone in Primal and then boot up FC4 and dig up their bones!?

That's it. I want a set of two open world games that interact like this in terms of past and present or present and future! Ones where you can jump back and forth to influence outcomes or unlock secret areas and challenges but on an unheard of scale.

Don't stop some terrorists plot to blow up some national landmark and in the future game 500 years in the future that area of the game is just a huge crater and smoothly overgrown by flora etc.

Some cool shit could be done!

I played both 3 and 4 ( and all Far Cry games honestly) and I didn't even notice this. Primal is great and I was really ready to write it off completely when they revealed it. The only reason I bought it was all the impressions in the OT and I am damn glad I listened. It's a great game.

Zeta Oni

Didn't Saint's Row 4 reuse the same map from SR3? If so then that is shit.

The thing is, saints row 3 and 4 look the exact same, except with a giant ship skybox and the towers scattered about.

Farcry primal does not look like 4 in any way, something that's been repeated quite a few times by now.

antitrop

removing guns from a shooter...
removing vehicles from a open world...

how's that not risky ?

Ya, I think it's pretty risky. Going from a FPS to a melee-focused game is as big and unusual a change as if they made a third-person shooter Assassin's Creed spinoff. It's dramatic. Primal isn't even really in the same genre as any of the previous games.

sjay1994

Didn't Saint's Row 4 reuse the same map from SR3? If so then that is shit.

Saints Row 4 used the same map. Primal as people who have actually played it have pointed out just has the same shape as the FC4 map. Everything populating it is different.

But thats not going to stop the typical spew of shitposts from people with Ubias.

Branson

I'm ok with this. Theres enough evidence that the actual map has some effort into making it look different on ground but there is something neat about seeing the same map but in Primal times.

So it sounds like everyone is okay with paying full price for a re-skinned and tweaked version of an existing game. Cool.

I hate it when people who have obviously not played the game speak with such certainty. Let me use your avatar for example, Bloodborne is just a re-skin of the Souls games, were you okay paying full price?

Let me clarify I don't actually think that about Bloodborne just using your logic.

So it sounds like everyone is okay with paying full price for a re-skinned and tweaked version of an existing game. Cool.

It's a AAA studio with hundreds of employees and bloated budgets so they're allowed to charge full price without commotion. Be a small indie development team? No such luck.

It saved them money during development and Ubi likes to do annual releases so I'd say it was smart. Obviously others here dont see it that way

If people wanna come in here, drop trow, leave a steamy turd all in the effort to be a shit gobblin in the thread of a game they havent played, so be it. Primal has obviously some blue prints from FC the series and 4 but play it and tell me that the games are carbon copies with a straight face.

Crackdown 2 and saints 4 did the same thing except they disclosed it beforehand. The fact that ubi didn't makes it seem like they were trying to get away with something. Pretty funny though.

Rizific

Primal as people who have actually played it have pointed out just has the same shape as the FC4 map. Everything populating it is different.
this is immediately what popped in my head after reading the thread title. are people stupid enough to actually think that they just took the fc4 map, replaced the guns with bows, replaced the people with wooly mammoths, then released it as a new game? i dont have the game yet nor have i played fc4, so it doesnt matter at all to me. but my goodness some people.

Far Cry Primal is the best game in the series, and the only one I actually enjoyed playing after the shitty gunplay and the nonsense on FC3 and 4. It's also the only one where all the skinning and collecting actually makes sense instead of becoming a bunch of junk stuck on your inventory to sell for a merchant every 5 minutes. I'm very happy and surprised with the game.

Oh, its also about 5x longer than Blood Dragon for those complaining about the price. I found it to be fair enough.

Top Bottom