• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal uses the same map (heavily updated) as Far Cry 4.

And how much does this DLC cost again ??
*sarcastic*

Will buy (maybe) when it's 50% off

Edit: Was looking at the reviews on Steam, mostly bad... like repetitive fetch quests ughhh who thought it was a good idea.

Odd. I just looked at the games steam page and there are 1296 positive reviews to 676 negative reviews.
Maybe we're not using the same steam.
Or maybe you just see what you want to see.

I would like to see the argument that this isn't lazy.

The map may be the same but the world itself is very different. I would have had no idea that the map was re-used if this thread didn't exist.
I couldn't give a shit less about how much a work a dev put into their game as long a good game is the end result.
Because I care about the one thing that really matters in videogames. You know, gameplay.

bobawesome

Strange...but it doesn't seem like a big deal if it's just now being reported.
Can you kill someone in Primal and then boot up FC4 and dig up their bones!?

No, but you can kill someone in Primal and then boot up FC4 so you can play a fun game.
Kidding. Sorta.

Blood Dragon copied a lot from FC3 as well. It's not exactly a big deal since Primal is a spinoff rather than a sequel. (Though, I understand the price argument.)

legacyzero

Banned
If people wanna come in here, drop trow, leave a steamy turd all in the effort to be a shit gobblin in the thread of a game they havent played, so be it. Primal has obviously some blue prints from FC the series and 4 but play it and tell me that the games are carbon copies with a straight face.

I'm more shitting on Ubisoft's history with stuff like this. It's the very REASON I havn't played it.

Oh, and I'll first say that I didn't play Far Cry 4 because of Ubi's shitty community treatment (dont try and deny that. I've got all night to give you examples.). But I'm pretty sure Far Cry 4 was a basic copy/paste of far cry 3. UI elements, some of the gun models, mechanics, etc. The difference was the location.

With Primal, It's not a good excuse to say "It doesn't LOOK familiar!". Thankfully for you who are defending their lazy money grab, they put in some effort to differentiate. That's versus taking the actual time and effort to craft a new world for the game.

It's just scuzzy.

Ubisoft doing minimal work to release a product for full price?

Im shocked.

Videogame fans enjoying a good game without giving a shit how it was made.
Im shocked.
Also people finding an excuse to shit on ubisoft without giving them credit for the good work they have done. Like creating an entirely new language for the game and making the world feel entirely different despite having the same general layout, and making drastic changes to the gameplay.
Im shocked.

antitrop

haha wow how did nobody pick up on this sooner?

I noticed it while I was playing the game, I just didn't make a big deal about it, because it's not a big deal.

If you've played Far Cry 4, it should be obvious. It should also be obvious how much work they did to differentiate the two game worlds.

dLMN8R

I'm more shitting on Ubisoft's history with stuff like this. It's the very REASON I havn't played it.

Oh, and I'll first say that I didn't play Far Cry 4 because of Ubi's shitty community treatment (dont try and deny that. I've got all night to give you examples.). But I'm pretty sure Far Cry 4 was a basic copy/paste of far cry 3. UI elements, some of the gun models, mechanics, etc. The difference was the location.

With Primal, It's not a good excuse to say "It doesn't LOOK familiar!". Thankfully for you who are defending their lazy money grab, they put in some effort to differentiate. That's versus taking the actual time and effort to craft a new world for the game.

It's just scuzzy.

I mean, you can make shit up all you want about games you haven't played but hold strong opinions of nonetheless. But I personally strongly disliked Far Cry 3, and absolutely loved Far Cry 4, explicitly because of how different it was in countless ways.

And Far Cry Primal is by far the most unique entry in the series ever. It's not just the most different and innovative Far Cry game out there, it's one of the most unique FPSs I've ever played altogether.

It's just scuzzy.

Im not a bad guy for supporting a game I like, but your sure make me feel that way. :(

legacyzero

Banned
I mean, you can make shit up all you want about games you haven't played but hold strong opinions of nonetheless. But I personally strongly disliked Far Cry 3, and absolutely loved Far Cry 4, explicitly because of how different it was in countless ways.

And Far Cry Primal is by far the most unique entry in the series ever. It's not just the most different and innovative Far Cry game out there, it's one of the most unique FPSs I've ever played altogether.

I'll be clear. I'm not here to pick on your enjoyment of the game. I'm here calling out Ubisoft for ANOTHER repeated short cut to churn out another Far Cry game to grab money. Meanwhile, NO Multiplayer mode. NO Map Editor.

Regards to Far Cry 3 vs 4. Not making shit up. Look at comparisons. Models, animations, etc.

Call me a salty Far Cry fan. I'll own that.

Im not a bad guy for supporting a game I like, but your sure make me feel that way. :(

You can enjoy the game regardless of anybody's opinion. I posted a fair observation, and it's certainly not the first time they've done this. You follow me on Twitter. I'm sure this isn't the first time you've seen me go in on Ubisoft AND Far Cry. And I dont usually go into far cry threads, because I dont want to be accused of shitting on somebody's experience (which I seem to be accused of right now.)

I love that you enjoy the game. That's awesome.

But I'm gonna call it like it is. Regardless. That's how discussion works.

dEvAnGeL

Primal easily the best FC game to date, this is not a cash grab, the game surprised me, made me eat my words because i talk a lot of shit about! im loving it so far and im 25 hours in, is it perfect? of course not but is damn fine videogame

This is why you should be "smart" like ubisoft and wait 2 months until their games are less than half price.

Smart is buying games I know I have a good chance of enjoying, regardless of how they were made. Bought Farcry:primal at full price and loved every minute of it. Worth every penny.

Far Cry 4:

http://i.imgur.com/HvaxoQK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tiD747x.jpg

Basically the same area on FCP, forgot to take screenshot of the map.

http://i.imgur.com/rSO8gu2.jpg

Yep they sure look the same lol.

Thank you. Lazy = re-using a great percentage of the assets, not just the overall map space. This makes sense and allows for a quicker release. If it bothers people that the game is releasing at full price then just wait a few months until it goes on sale, as non-Nintendo games usually do. I'm not one to buy every Ubisoft game that comes out so I don't have "FarCry fatigue" and I'm actually looking forward to this one (skipped 3 & 4, loved Blood Dragon).

BigDug13

It costs a lot of manhours, time, money to create an open world. They built a game worthy of $60 while saving a buck reusing a world but making it feel different enough that it took days for people to figure it out.

Who really cares? They still had hundreds of people devote tons of manhours to create this game. Why is this such a bad thing for $60, but 10 people using a math formula to create a universe for $60 is ok? This game took a ton of work and a ton of money. Ubisoft has been losing their ass on the past couple AC games, so why not recoup some losses somewhere?

It's not like any of it feels familiar enough to be a deal breaker or somehow feel like you're not playing a good game. Reused topography. Not nearly as egregious as Saints Row IV straight up using the exact same city as SRIII.

I'm more than willing to shit on Ubisoft, as they continue to give reasons to shit on them. Topographical game world reuse in a completely different time period while making it feel different enough to be only somewhat noticeable seems low on the "reasons to hate Ubisoft" totem pole.

Head.spawn

It's just scuzzy.

Are you still all butthurt about the map creator stuff or something like that? I vaguely remember you being very angry about something like that.

FC4 was decent, FC3 was better for sure but I've heard a lot of good reception from this game. I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt, because you are clearly on a crusade.

Vent on I guess.

dLMN8R

I'll be clear. I'm not here to pick on your enjoyment of the game. I'm here calling out Ubisoft for ANOTHER repeated short cut to churn out another Far Cry game to grab money. Meanwhile, NO Multiplayer mode. NO Map Editor.

Regards to Far Cry 3 vs 4. Not making shit up. Look at comparisons. Models, animations, etc.

Call me a salty Far Cry fan. I'll own that.

I've played dozens of hours of every single Far Cry game. I don't need to "look at comparisons". I've played them.

You haven't.

I honestly could not give a fuck less if the animations or models are similar. They play incredibly differently.

Legacy zero is burned that 4 didn't have a map editor. I don't know if he admitted that itt.

It's not that he doesn't have a right to be burned, his burn is present, I just wanted to make sure we know what we're up against here.

I'm of the thought process that if they can give me an experience that feels extremely different but costing them less ammount of money to do so, good on them. Primal is a unique take on the genre and while they might have cut corners and kept to the core mechanics of Far Cry 3 and 4, they had the balls to make a game like this, and we all know just how many 10,000 bc games exist.

legacyzero

Banned
Are you still all butthurt about the map creator stuff or something like that? I vaguely remember you being very angry about something like that.

FC4 was decent, FC3 was better for sure but I've heard a lot of good reception from this game. I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt, because you are clearly on a crusade.

You're referring to my final straw and boycott of Far Cry 4. Again, I own that. Love that juvenile "butthurt" term though. I feel I have good reason. Give it a read?

In regards to your "crusade" remarks, I'll invite you to search any recent Far Cry thread, including the Far Cry 4 OT and Primal OT. You'll not see one post from me in those. I think there was one off thread where the OP asked about Far Cry 4 and I gave a fair opinion in that one, but again- I dont go in on Far Cry threads. I respect people's opinion of them and their enjoyment.

But of course I'm going to jump in a thread that highlights just one of the problems with this franchise as of late, and Ubisoft in general.

I've played dozens of hours of every single Far Cry game. I don't need to "look at comparisons". I've played them.

You haven't.

I honestly could not give a fuck less if the animations or models are similar. They play incredibly differently.

Doesn't make it less true. But again- cool that you enjoy it.

Legacy zero is burned that 4 didn't have a map editor. I don't know if he admitted that itt.

It's not that he doesn't have a right to be burned, his burn is present, I just wanted to make sure we know what we're up against here.

Correct. I posted a link in this post with a full explanation. perhaps some could read it and understand why I'm so heated, and havn't bought the recent games.

I'm of the thought process that if they can give me an experience that feels extremely different but costing them less ammount of money to do so, good on them. Primal is a unique take on the genre and while they might have cut corners and kept to the core mechanics of Far Cry 3 and 4, they had the balls to make a game like this, and we all know just how many 10,000 bc games exist.

Game looks awesome. I wont deny it. I think Far Cry 4 is still in my Steam wishlist if I remember correctly LOL. I'm still thirsty for that game. But I just couldn't reward Ubisoft for their bad practices.

Hell, If I didn't enjoy The Division Betas as much as I did, I wouldn't have preordered that game either. First Ubi game I've bought since FC3.

Cool now we can expect a Blood Dragon 2 where they re-tune the map again for futuristic nonsense and we have all kinds of time travel shenanigans in between prehistoric and modern times, then all the timelines will merge into one reality and we'll be riding cybernetic war mammoths to fight against....whatever an alien invasion or some shit.

The main protagonist will grumble about it the whole time and maybe complain his back hurts.

Soundtrack will be a collab with PowerGlove and Dance With the Dead. The soundtrack will be rad as hell.

It will be a good game but there will be a lot of whinging about the reuse of the map and will only be bought on sale for 10 bux.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Played both games extensively, haven't run across an area in Primal that I recognize from FC4.

Which tells me this was potentially a smart time/cost-savings on their part.

It is borderline hilarious that almost all the negativity in the Primal threads is from people who haven't played it while all the positivity is from people who have put hours into the game. Bought it based upon favorable word of mouth here on GAF, no regrets.

shandy706

2016-03-0222.47.4073s10.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What if more devs start doing this, would you be ok with that?

God damned Nintendo passing off bushes as clouds as bushes as clouds.

Lazy mofo's.

Smart because nobody noticed until it was specifically pointed out, much like this game.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Again, that is because it's just the height map. The world is incredibly different and unique looking.
Most people here don't even know what a height map is. Anyone calling it "lazy" most definitely has never worked on a game in their lives, let alone a triple A project. Jason Schreier asked the perfect question in the comments of his Kotaku article:
Here’s the question, though, and I only ask this because it makes for a good discussion point (I don’t feel strongly one way or another): would you have even noticed if not for this article?
The vast majority of people, (including myself since I likely notice asset reuse way more than the average gamer), would tell you know.

What if more devs start doing this, would you be ok with that?
Lol, developers reuse assets all the time including tons of code, a statement like "uses the same map" is being very disingenuous.

Gator86

Primal easily the best FC game to date, this is not a cash grab, the game surprised me, made me eat my words because i talk a lot of shit about! im loving it so far and im 25 hours in, is it perfect? of course not but is damn fine videogame

Man, some of the response to this game seems so much more positive than warranted, in my opinion. For me, it's definitely the worst game since FC2. I totally disagree with anyone who has issues with the "copy-paste" world design, as it was both gorgeous and fresh during my play through. Aside from that, the game is a tremendous step back in almost every single other way.

My feedback from the OT
It's great so many people are enjoying this. That said, my experience wasn't quite as positive. I finished the game on hard in about 16 hours with 85% of the trophies.

Pros:
  • Gorgeous game with a huge, reasonably varied world. The way Ubi can just crank these out is genuinely impressive.
  • Great graphics with solid performance
  • Pretty amazing atmosphere. Creeping around the brush with all of the ambient noise was consistently enjoyable.

Cons:
  • Did not enjoy the swap from guns to prehistoric weapons. It felt overly restrained given how much diversity there was in the last few FC games.
  • Sketchy QA. Had a half-dozen hard crashes back to the XMB. I also had to restart one of the drug trip missions. The scripting broke down entirely and no enemies would spawn to help me get the powered-up arrows.
  • Complete lack of any creativity or effort for skills. It's the FC4 skill tree almost verbatim. Honestly, it feels like they didn't even try here.
  • Story and characters are bottom-tier garbage. The main plot is the driest one I can recall and the characters are just generic archetypes with a dozen lines of dialogue. I can't imagine caring about a game's plot/characters less.
  • Missions and content felt completely phoned in. I'm not sure I could describe a single mission from memory. Just super forgettable stuff for me.
  • Hated the owl drone. Nothing wrong with it at all. It just didn't click for me.
  • Pet implementation is cringe-worthy. Your commands consist of "go here" and "kill that." Half the time, the pathing on pets was so janky it would take them a good dozen seconds or so to get to enemies a few feet away.
  • The boss fights are awful. It's like someone played a lot of vanilla Destiny strikes and thought "Wow, these are great. I love how the bosses have a laughably easy pattern with a shit ton of health while unlimited regular enemies pour into the arena every 30 seconds."

For me, it's absolutely the worst FC game since 2, although not a bad game by any means. The floor on the game could only be so low building off of FC4's frame. I have no clue how Ubi produces these gorgeous open worlds so consistently, but the rest felt like a mid-cycle game aimed at pulling in some cash before FC5 without having to put in too much effort. I like that they took a creative angle on it, but the execution was pretty meh overall.

And all that isn't even really getting specific on the quest design, AI, or any of a dozen other issues. The game doesn't come off as a lazy cash-grab, but it definitely isn't anything beyond a mid-cycle release to buy time/funds for FC5.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Game looks like fun, but this is a $29.99 or lower purchase...at least for me.

It is a shame that so many people are taking cheap shots at it.

Man, some of the response to this game seems so much more positive than warranted, in my opinion. For me, it's definitely the worst game since FC2. I totally disagree with anyone who has issues with the "copy-paste" world design, as it was both gorgeous and fresh during my play through. Aside from that, the game is a tremendous step back in almost every single other way.
My feedback from the OT
And all that isn't even really getting specific on the quest design, AI, or any of a dozen other issues. The game doesn't come off as a lazy cash-grab, but it definitely isn't anything beyond a mid-cycle release to buy time/funds for FC5.

In the future, I and other gafers will be sure to run our opinions on all games by you to make sure they are valid.
On second thought, no we won't. We'll continue to form our own opinions, thanks.

Gator86

In the future, I and other gafers will be sure to run our opinions on all games by you to make sure they are valid.
On second thought, no we won't. We'll continue to form our own opinions, thanks.

You're correct. The way I stated my views followed by "in my opinion" made it very clear that everyone who likes the game is an idiot. My apologies for breaking the back and forth cycle of "Of course Ubisoft made a lazy-ass copy-paste game" and "people criticizing this game haven't played it!"

Crossing Eden

Of all the legitimate complaints about FC: Primal, this is not one.
It's even worse when you consider some of the other games the main people "outraged" about this, (i.e. the majority of whom haven't actually played it), are excited for or were excited for in the past. I guarantee DSIII likely reuses more code and assets from it's past iterations in comparison to this game(note:it still has some animations from DS1, which look a lot worse in comparison to the new animations), but somehow asset reuse is only an "issue" when Ubisoft does it. It's quite embarrassing and straight up irrational in the grand scheme of things.

I'm comfortable not giving this lazy ass company any money. Might get The Division used but that's it.
The company funded a much bigger game with the Division, one of the largest scale games of this year, yet somehow are lazy, ok. Curious about what sequel you're currently excited for if you don't mind me asking. Or if you've ever played a sequel in your life.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Lol, developers reuse assets all the time including tons of code, a statement like "uses the same map" is being very disingenuous.

Can you show me another game that just copy & paste the whole map layout from the previous game?

Aces&Eights

I'm comfortable not giving this lazy ass company any money. Might get The Division used but that's it.

You sure are showing them! Now their stock is going to drop and their execs will be calling your constantly to apologize for their sins and beg for your forgiveness.

You're correct. The way I stated my views followed by "in my opinion" made it very clear that everyone who likes the game is an idiot. My apologies for breaking the back and forth cycle of "Of course Ubisoft made a lazy-ass copy-paste game" and "people criticizing this game haven't played it!"

Gator86 said:
Man, some of the response to this game seems so much more positive than warranted, in my opinion.

"In my opinion, people like this game way more than I think they should".

Thats how your statement reads, like your judging others opinions of the game.

Crossing Eden

I'm not talking about assets, can you show me another game that just copy & paste the whole map layout from the previous game?
Saints Row IV,(which had WAY less work put into making it look different than this game). Snake, they didn't "copy and paste the whole map layout," they used it as a base for the map of the game, which saves on development costs that went towards the ton of other new assets they created for the game, such as the foliage, trees, fog, rendering tech, etc. This is cost effective and considering that the vast majority, (let's be completely honest, we're talking 99% of people who played the game considering most didn't notice and still don't notice unless we're specifically talking about the picture used for the map), didn't notice that the devs used the same height map as a base then there's honestly no issue here considering how much effort went into making the game have a completely different atmosphere and look to it than FC4. Anyone else who has worked on games would tell you the same thing.

Can you show me another game that just copy & paste the whole map layout from the previous game?

Who cares if the map screens are the same when the stuff in it are unique? Seriously you people who haven't played it and judge it so harshly have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

IBut I personally strongly disliked Far Cry 3, and absolutely loved Far Cry 4, explicitly because of how different it was in countless ways.

Shit, I wish I had your memory. It would make every clone and copy and paste type game brand new.

FFS, Far Cry 4 was almost literally a fucking reskin. Just with worse acting, worse writing, worse characters.

Top Bottom