• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fast Racing Neo - Gamescom footage with direct sound

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There were already some videos out there from the Gamescom demo, but they were either 30 fps or with annoying commentary. This one is nicely done in 60 fps and with direct sound feed, so I thought it is thread worthy. So here is the fast beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJOJ-o3IUr8

I love the use of the motion blur and the feeling of speed.

Edit: and footage of the Xenon Cup tracks (30 fps, but you can see the tracks design):
Some more here from NintenDaan (30 fps though).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Looks like added a good sense of speed from earlier builds. Looks excellent.

I wanted to comment about this, but I thought it's just my perception. I had the same impression, that compared to E3 there is a better feel of speed.

I am a the only inhabitant of a strange universe where this game looks bland as heck. No idea why everyone is so impressed by the visuals. It looks ok but GX is still on another league for me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I am a the only inhabitant of a strange universe where this game looks bland as heck. No idea why everyone is so impressed by the visuals. It looks ok but GX is still on another league for me.

It's called nostalgia and it's a hell of a drug. Sometimes it makes even 360p videos on YouTube look like 4k.

Dude has no clue how to change colors, ugh.

Turn orange when you're about to go through an orange boost pad! Turn blue when you're about to go through a blue boost pad!

Joriaan

Neo Member
The homages to GX are very clear, that's for sure. Hell, that last track looked like an HD-version of Aeropolis from GX. Considering buying a WiiU just for this, I miss a good futuristic racer like this in my library.

Intru

That colour switching mechanic is interesting, though I don't know how much depth to the game it can actually add, just an extra thing you need to pay attention to while driving.

I've been dying for a new game in the style of F-Zero or Wipeout, so hopefully this turns out well. It's looking really good so far.

And suddenly, I'm no longer worried that F-zero and Wipeout aren't coming back soon. Game looks amazing, and really fun. Why isn't NIntendo promoting the shit out of this? it should be front and center at E3, and be upgraded to a retail title. Can't wait.

Looks incredible.

Is there a mechanic for reducing the impact of those landings? Seems really harsh and jarring - probably how it should be, but would be nice to be able to reduce it a bit.

jariw

Is there a mechanic for reducing the impact of those landings? Seems really harsh and jarring - probably how it should be, but would be nice to be able to reduce it a bit.

During the E3 Treehouse Live, the Shinen developer said that each vehicle will behave very differently.

I played it at Gamescom. It looks better than many Wii U retail games, it indeed feels fast in the slowest class and it controls greatly. Can't wait!

This might be a weird complaint but the tracks just seem way too straight to me. Without having any real corners the racing becomes less challenging and boring.

This might be a weird complaint but the tracks just seem way too straight to me. Without having any real corners the racing becomes less challenging and boring.

Its a total valid complaint, and too many racers in recent years have received a pass with their crappy/ lazy/ noexistant track design.
Hopefully Fast Racing Neo will have some more complex tracks within its game, if not its an easy pass for me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Unfortunately there is just the first cup in this demo so we can't see how the design of the other tracks look like.

desu

How many tracks are there? I'm guessing 4 per class for a total of 16?

Yes 4 cups with 4 tracks each.

Looking by the comments made during Gamescom, it seems that this will launch most probably in December.

Yep thats their current target date.

I played this a few times at Gamescom and talked a while with one of the developers (who was a really down to earth guy and we had tons of fun talking about the old times when we still got lots of future racers). For me the game controls just perfectly (Wipeout is a little bit too floaty for me). The slowest class already has a nice speed that seems perfect beginners, the higher classes are supposed to be a lot faster.

Game also features a Hero Mode which basically means your energy is your life bar (pretty similar to F-Zero).

Art style could be improved I guess but it simply played and controlled well which is enough for me. Game really surprised me with its clean look and its one of the few titles that will make me get a WiiU. It's also my favourite future racer that has recently been done (not really a fan of Distance (which is not a bad game) or the current state of Formula Fusion).

Top Bottom