• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fast Racing Neo - Gamescom footage with direct sound

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I will buy it alongside many other interesting eshop games in the second half of the year on wiiu But I hope they will activate the new Nnind program because my eshop purchases are suffering from the DDP closure

Filter

Seems nice and fast.

The screen judder when the craft lands from a jump is really jarring and doesn't help the sense of speed at all. Wipeout has that nice scraping of metal with sparks if you land at high speed, this has a slow down and bash like you've dropped an iron on the floor.

The sound of the vehicle also adds nothing exciting to the race. Not like some futuristic floating supercar, more like a monotonous droning that really starts to become annoying. Like someone is vacuuming the carpet in the next room.

The tracks themselves don't seem too exciting either, like the backgrounds don't have crazy futuristic cities, architecture or crazy shot going on (at least in these tracks, which should be a good indicator). They just have some big turbines and floating engines or some snowy trees. I shouldn't be too harsh but compare it to insane f-zero gx levels like fire field or something like that.
http://youtu.be/TRA3PMOyKbU

Music seems pretty rad tho with some guitar shredding even. Overall it looks like it will be fun, it's just got some big boots to fill I suppose.

Seems nice and fast.

The screen judder when the craft lands from a jump is really jarring and doesn't help the sense of speed at all. Wipeout has that nice scraping of metal with sparks if you land at high speed, this has a slow down and bash like you've dropped an iron on the floor.

The sound of the vehicle also adds nothing exciting to the race. Not like some futuristic floating supercar, more like a monotonous droning that really starts to become annoying. Like someone is vacuuming the carpet in the next room.

The tracks themselves don't seem too exciting either, like the backgrounds don't have crazy futuristic cities, architecture or crazy shot going on (at least in these tracks, which should be a good indicator). They just have some big turbines and floating engines or some snowy trees. I shouldn't be too harsh but compare it to insane f-zero gx levels like fire field or something like that.
http://youtu.be/TRA3PMOyKbU

Music seems pretty rad tho with some guitar shredding even. Overall it looks like it will be fun, it's just got some big boots to fill I suppose.

Yeah, it's also a small team of developers who have improved greatly from the previous racing game they made.

They aren't trying to make wipeout or F-Zero, they're doing their own thing.

Filter

Yeah, it's also a small team of developers who have improved greatly from the previous racing game they made.

They aren't trying to make wipeout or F-Zero, they're doing their own thing.

Well let's be honest, they are preeeetty much making f-zero.
I'm not knocking it, it looks great for what it is. I'm just pointing out a couple of obvious things that I think detract from the experience. Thudding landing where the vehicle doesn't actually bounce as it hits the road, it's the camera that bounces wildly, about a dozen times per lap, and the sound of the vehicle which sounds not that great.

I'm looking forward to it and I'll probably buy it. There's a decent amount of time before it releases, and this is an alpha. Maybe they will be tweaking things and adding flourishes to stages later on.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I actually kind of like the camera bouncing on landing. Maybe the vehicle should also bounce, for consistency.

TunaLover

As a Nintendo fan I wished it to be more WipeOut and less F Zero, WipeOut is all about aesthetics, I'm not feeling it in Fast. It still a beauty game and a big step over the first one though.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Visually the game looks like Wipeout, the ship design and environment design. It looks like gameplay wise they are trying to mirror F-Zero.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I wished it to be more WipeOut and less F Zero, WipeOut is all about aesthetics, I'm not feeling it in Fast. It still a beauty game and a big step over the first one though.

Yeah, the graphics are here definitely but the track design and gameplay just aint. Ton of seeming rubberbanding to the racers, a kinda persnickety looking boost mechanic with switching and.... eh. Throw in the weird "AND THEN YOU EXPLODE" hiccups and its a rough package.

You could tell in the last track with all the dumb deaths the player was entering full "Yeah okay, fuck this game" mode.

low-G

They have literally ripped F Zero GX & WipEout wholesale. But that's fine because those IPs have been abandoned and they're doing God's work.

I like what gameplay level design I've seen, with shifting tracks and creative design. I also like the down to earth visual style ("realistic" sci fi racing). Anyways I don't want to see too many tracks before I can play this myself.

Visually the game looks like Wipeout, the ship design and environment design. It looks like gameplay wise they are trying to mirror F-Zero.

I think even the gameplay looks closer to Wipeout actually. The ships feel very heavy whereas in F-Zero they always felt floatier. Speed is definitely F-Zero though.

Looks great. Can't wait to put my hands on it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
OK so I'm THAT guy, but is this the same team that made Wipeout for Playstation?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The ships seems to have no weight to them when the collide with each other. It's a bit off putting.

The music in this game is incredible, that second cup Sunahara track will be awesome to hear when it's not offscreen footage!

This music

This might be a weird complaint but the tracks just seem way too straight to me. Without having any real corners the racing becomes less challenging and boring.

Considering this is the slowest speed, I think that those straight tracks with easy turns will quickly become a huge headache on the hardest difficulty.

RAIDEN1

This is about as good as it is going to get for the Wii U to get an F-Zero, there is probably more likely hood of it coming out on the NX if anywhere...

llehuty

What these guys are capable of doing with their small team is insane. Nintendo should try to secure them ala Retro Studios.

KTS2448

Posting in support of this game. Will buy and tell friends about it. These guys making this game have done a huge service to all of us Wii-u owners.

The only thing I could want is a season or all-cup mode similar to that one in Mario Kart Double Dash or a custom match/create a cup setting that allows you to use all tracks (similar to MK8)

tbd

So many qts around 3:00.

I am a the only inhabitant of a strange universe where this game looks bland as heck. No idea why everyone is so impressed by the visuals. It looks ok but GX is still on another league for me.

Just playing this on Dolphin. C'mon...

gfzp01-1h2sc0.png

Looks cool
If this is the slow league then the sense of speed is good too.

I love me some futuristic racing games so I'm excited to see that a few are being made again (wipeout, this, rollcage)

bumpkin

Yep, I'll be buying this.

Still really want a new F-Zero, but Nintendo.
Yeah, watching footage of this game just makes me want a new F-Zero. Still, pretty impressive. Shin-en knows their stuff when it comes to leveraging processing power.

greg400

Banned
Nintendo really should've teamed up with Shin'en and provided them the ability to use the F-Zero franchise like they allowed Amusement Vision/Sega do with GX. Could've been a win-win for everyone.

Effect

Been waiting for this game for so long. With Zelda not coming this year this has taken the spot as my second most hyped and look forward to game. Xenoblade of course moving to number one.

This game looks great and loving the music. There is no F-Zero but I'll happily take this. Though from accounts it seems it's closer to Wipeout then F-Zero which isn't a problem as that's a game that's been missed as well.

Top Bottom