• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST RMX / Shovel Knight for Switch launch, no VC at release

To be fair, it's not just the lack of VC, it's also stuff like the lack of an internet browser and media features like Netflix that's making the console's launch feel hollow/rushed to a lot of people.

It seems like people willing to push the 'rushed' narrative will push that narrative regardless.

There's no way the browser/Netflix thing is due to lack of time; I sincerely doubt Nintendo would have launched with them even if they launched in November.

Shovel knight is just the base game right? I'm assuming Spector of Torment is not till later.

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove will have all of the campaigns that have been released along with Specter of Torment and the future King Knight campaign. You can choose to buy Specter of Torment separately when Switch launches.

TheFuzz

This may be the second time (Resogun being the first) that digital indies are being a huge help to a console launch.

Zelda/FAST/Shovel Knight for me at launch is big and helps bridge the gap to Snake Pass, Snipperclips and MK8.

gloone

Yeah playing Chrono Trigger or Mother 3 will be horrible on Switch because there is no dead. Not to mention that everyone interested in VC games that really need a dpad will likely own a Pro Controller down the line.

Then it's no longer usable as a portable device. I want to be able to play some VC games in bed, the way I use most my other portable devices.

Pif

Banned
Fast rmx is so mine.

It's gonna be that and Zelda. Maybe arms if it is good. Then the wait for xmas comes.

It seems like people willing to push the 'rushed' narrative will push that narrative regardless.

There's no way the browser/Netflix thing is due to lack of time; I sincerely doubt Nintendo would have launched with them even if they launched in November.

Dude there is no narrative, it's reality. There's no way to believe this system isn't being rushed out the door unfinished. There's no evidence against that at all.

Yes, you can buy Specter of Torment standalone or buy Treasure Trove, which will have Shovel of Hope (Shovel Knight campaign), Plague of Shadows (Plague Knight campaign), Specter of Torment (Specter Knight campaign) and the future King Knight campaign.

Awesome! Thanks for clarifying ^.^ That's what I figured but it's always good to confirm. Day 1 for me.

Lucifon

Well this isn't a surprise, I'd already accepted VC wasn't happening at launch. Fast RMX and Shovel Knight day 1 is awesome though, insta-buying both on day one for sure!

But I guess that means no Snipperclips for launch then? :(

Browser is legitimately a fuckin ludicrous thing not to have at launch.

Streaming apps would be nice, but it's not crazy to see them miss launch to me.

VC is nice but I REALLY cannot see how it missing launch is outrage-worthy. Wow I can't play Super Mario Bros. 2 on my Switch at launch how outrageous. Except it's available on 100000000 other devices and it's not strange at all to see them not prioritize it at launch.

So yeah, a lot of the "soft launch" shit is nonsense. But the thing should probably have a browser.

Camjo-Z

I'd hope they're improving the service further before they relaunch it tbh.

If it launches with every game previously available on Wii U and 3DS and free transfers for previous owners I'll give them a pass, but I fully expect to see yet another shameless drip feed of games with the initial lineup consisting of hotly demanded titles like Urban Champion and Golf, all while being charged a fee to play games I already own.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230858950&postcount=1287
Yeah, was thinking that may actually be the strategy here.

Chance are, pre-orders have been strong enough between system and Zelda sales to make it an easy choice, but bear in mind the core audience (us) will likely be keeping an eye on that d-pad ‘issue' (sans Pro Controller) when it comes to VC games.

If Nintendo picks out a dry month where game launches are slow, the company can make a big deal of VC games hitting Switch to bolster the month, AND potentially a ‘VC Joycon' with d-pad at the same time. That way the VC Joycon gets fanfare with games to take advantage of it at the same time, giving it a ‘launch boost' for sales.

Excellent point by cbrotherson in the Embargo thread that seems to suggest Nintendo will want VC to act as a game release. Joy Con lack a proper D-pad, but more importantly they can't replicate key aspects of the Wii and Gamecube controllers. I'm willing to bet on retail releases akin to Wii Party where you get a new controller along with a code to download X amount of classic games.

Shiggy

Yeah playing Chrono Trigger or Mother 3 will be horrible on Switch because there is no dead. Not to mention that everyone interested in VC games that really need a dpad will likely own a Pro Controller down the line.

Why would they? Lots of people play in handheld mode only, especially as those old games don't look particularly good on those big TVs..

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
A retro tablet without a d-pad? What's the point?
Nintendo Wii U analog sticks were precise enough to play 2D games. I hope it will be the case again on Switch.

Down the line HD Rumble could also give an haptic feedback telling when we reach up, left down and right. That'd be awesome.

Excellent point by cbrotherson in the Embargo thread that seems to suggest Nintendo will want VC to act as a game release. Joy Con lack a proper D-pad, but more importantly they can't replicate key aspects of the Wii and Gamecube controllers. I'm willing to bet on retail releases akin to Wii Party where you get a new controller along with a code to download X amount of classic games.

What if instead of treating the whole service as a game release, they treat every individual VC game as a big release? They can release one N64 game during each slow month and really plug those holes. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Griss

The annoying thing is that the time I'm most likely to use the VC is during the droughts in the first couple months of the system's life. That's when I want it, really.

Feels like there's no reason some classic NES and SNES games couldn't have been ready at least. Announcement of NES and SNES games is no big deal, so they can hardly be holding it back. Nintendo seems to think that these games serve a purpose in lieu of actual new game releases. I never see it like that, I can't imagine others do.

I'd rather them get it right than have it on day 1, though. NES emulation on the Wii U was an actual disgrace, and I feel like I got robbed with the money I paid for some of those games versus the quality of the experience.

I honestly wish I enjoyed Fast Racing Neo more, but I just couldn't get into it, good for all of you though, enjoy!

Btw, what does the RMX stand for?

Cleve

Glad to see RMX will make launch, I've already bought 3 copies of shovel knight, and was pretty bummed about the amiibo required co op when it came out, so I think I'm good n that front. Maybe I'll dip in again if it gets a physical release.

Browser is legitimately a fuckin ludicrous thing not to have at launch.

Streaming apps would be nice, but it's not crazy to see them miss launch to me.

VC is nice but I REALLY cannot see how it missing launch is outrage-worthy. Wow I can't play Super Mario Bros. 2 on my Switch at launch how outrageous. Except it's available on 100000000 other devices and it's not strange at all to see them not prioritize it at launch.

So yeah, a lot of the "soft launch" shit is nonsense. But the thing should probably have a browser.
Virtual Console is N64, DS and Wii games too, nowadays. That's a huge catalogue of modern classics that would've been great at launch.

'Soft launch' is a pretty reasonable way to look at it. 'Rushed' is the nonsense one.

Dude there is no narrative, it's reality. There's no way to believe this system isn't being rushed out the door unfinished. There's no evidence against that at all.
From what we've heard, the hardware is well thought-out and far from rushed. The system launches with a hugely anticipated title.

Evidence is subjective both for and against this narrative. The 'objective reality' thing is just opinion.

yoonshik

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230858950&postcount=1287

I would prefer a physical cartridge, but the idea itself is interesting.

I've said it before, but no VC at launch should've been expected. The Wii is the only platform that ever had it at launch, it's become a feature that typically doesn't come until a few months after launch.

FinalAres

Really disappointed with the lack of Virtual Console, as it suggests that Nintendo may possibly be just as slow with their releases with the new console if they can't even get something ready for launch.

And I know "haha typical Nintendo, why are we surprised?", but still. I am surprised. If a company isn't able to move forwards then it is effectively moving backwards.

I'll reserve judgement, but if we get to later in the year, and we've been seeing the same typical trickle of VC games...I'll probably just pick up a Switch second hand.

komorebi

What if instead of treating the whole service as a game release, they treat every individual VC game as a big release? They can release one N64 game during each slow month and really plug those holes. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Horrible idea. Did you not own a Wii U? This is basically exactly what they did and it was pathetic not to mention frustrating when they would release inferior to both the original system and any random emulator.

Acid08

Banned
This thing is launching with next to no games and services. Nintendo really needed it out ASAP to the detriment of the overall product.

STGHMAAV

Banned
Don't know if someone asked YachtClubGames but I just asked them on twitter about a physical release on Switch and they say not yet, a possiblity down the road. https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/834761108078555137

poplN7t.png

Virtual Console is N64, DS and Wii games too, nowadays. That's a huge catalogue of modern classics that would've been great at launch.

'Soft launch' is a pretty reasonable way to look at it. 'Rushed' is the nonsense one.

From what we've heard, the hardware is well thought-out and far from rushed. The system launches with a hugely anticipated title.

Evidence is subjective both for and against this narrative. The 'objective reality' thing is just opinion.

Well considering how Nintendo's handling of VC is the butt of a million jokes, I don't see why anyone would expect anything other than NES, SNES, and maybe N64 to be ready even if Switch was launching with VC. This is the service most people usually seem content to deride as either unnecessary or unusable.

They have NEVER competently managed this service, so I'm happy to wait and see if they plan on changing that instead of seeing the same 10-15 (S)NES and N64 games they always parade around during the beginning of a VC launch.

I'm fine with waiting a bit for the chance to buy Super Mario 64 for $10 again.

TheFuzz

Really disappointed with the lack of Virtual Console, as it suggests that Nintendo may possibly be just as slow with their releases with the new console if they can't even get something ready for launch.

And I know "haha typical Nintendo, why are we surprised?", but still. I am surprised. If a company isn't able to move forwards then it is effectively moving backwards.

I'll reserve judgement, but if we get to later in the year, and we've been seeing the same typical trickle of VC games...I'll probably just pick up a Switch second hand.

So do you think Sony moved backwards when the PS4 launched without the ability to play PS1 classics?

Top Bottom