• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame 4 revealed

PantherLotus said:
really? I coulda sworn I read a whole thread about it. I guess that kinda shoots my theory down, huh? oh well.

It was 2ch screwing with Gaf.
Though, the move does make a good deal of sense.

Grecco

[Wii Hardcore Weaknesses
1. RPGs
2. Fighting (ok, 3rd party fighters)
3. Realistic Racing

Theres a chance for Golden Sun Wii, and Monolith to work on the Wii past Disaster Day of crisis so RPG help is coming

Fighters. Theres Tekken, VF, DOA, Soul Calibur and now SF4 all will not be on Wii and quite honestly thats fine.

Realistic Racing doesnt really matter that much past Gran Turismo and Forza anyways.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PantherLotus said:
really? I coulda sworn I read a whole thread about it. I guess that kinda shoots my theory down, huh? oh well.

It was confirmed to be a fake rumor.

That said, it seems logical and other rumor mongering sites like surfer girl are saying the same thing. So I think there is a good chance.

sphinx

the piano man
schuelma said:
Just to be clear, there has been absolutely no confirmation of Suikoden for the Wii.

but you agree that nintendo securing that kind of software is a wise move from their part, right?

It pains me deep in my heart that Baten Kaitos failed to fill the void for a much needed RPG series on nintendo consoles saleswise, but ( Mushroom = woah,epic) Kindgom hearts is an absolute no brainer.

Nintendo needs some indiana jones/Tomb raider/uncharted exclusive adventure game as well, I wondeer if Disaster: DoC will fill that spot. Perosnally, Startropics brought to 3D with the mastery of Mario/Zelda/Metroid would be like a dream come true and better than those 3 games I mentioned combined.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Grecco said:
[Wii Hardcore Weaknesses
1. RPGs
2. Fighting (ok, 3rd party fighters)
3. Realistic Racing /QUOTE]

Theres a chance for Golden Sun Wii, and Monolith to work on the Wii past Disaster Day of crisis so RPG help is coming

Fighters. Theres Tekken, VF, DOA, Soul Calibur and now SF4 all will not be on Wii and quite honestly thats fine.

Realistic Racing doesnt really matter that much past Gran Turismo and Forza anyways.

RPGs could change (as you noted), and I believe you're right about those fighters but I don't believe that nobody should even TRY to put out a realistic racer on the Wii. I mean, Gran Turismo was so fuckin awesome on the PS2 and the Wii is at least as powerful as that!

And Sphinx: "Kid Icarus" is the two words you're looking for.

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:
And Sphinx: "Kid Icarus" is the two words you're looking for.

I am not sure, Kid Icarus would have to fly, right? Even thinking about the physics of such a game gives me a headache, I begin thinking of Lair for PS3 and ugghh... enough said.

I think wii needs a jungle, tropical game with soil, hawaian-like huts, oceans, submarines, intricate caves, big open worlds to explore...

*sigh ......

one can only dream.

Eteric Rice

sphinx said:
I am not sure, Kid Icarus would have to fly, right? Even thinking about the physics of such a game gives me a headache, I begin thinking of Lair for PS3 and ugghh... enough said.

I think wii needs a jungle, tropical game with soil, hawaian-like huts, oceans, submarines, intricate caves, big open worlds to explore...

*sigh ......

one can only dream.

Donkey... Kong?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sphinx said:
but you agree that nintendo securing that kind of software is a wise move from their part, right?

Absolutely. Nintendo needs to be very proactive here, and it looks like they are.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Back to the Survivor Horror Genre. I would LOVE for an Eternal Darkness sequel! Also, Luigi's Mansion 2 (longer n harder) would be fuckin awesome as well. RE4, REUC, and now Fatal Frame 4 should all make for an excellent start, but I'd REALLY love to get SK back on the Wii. They really know how to exploit some hardware.

Also, according to IGN, Nintendo IS lending some developers to this project. That is really freakin interesting.

Grecco

PantherLotus said:
RPGs could change (as you noted), and I believe you're right about those fighters but I don't believe that nobody should even TRY to put out a realistic racer on the Wii. I mean, Gran Turismo was so fuckin awesome on the PS2 and the Wii is at least as powerful as that!

Well Waggle exite type controlers wouldnt work. And theres not that many companies who are good at it that would work on Wii. Codemasters Wii support has been underwhelming.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
grecco: gtfo if you can't bring a little more imagination than that.

eteric rice: no doubt! sometimes its hard to see through all the bullshit, but I think you're right. but lower your expectations: this isn't even due until the end of 2008 in Japan, making this a mid-2009 game for the US, I think.

Grecco

PantherLotus said:
grecco: gtfo if you can't bring a little more imagination than that.

Hey its not up to me. Case in point, Mario Kart Wii, would have been awesome with Nunchuck/Wiimote control instead of Excite Control. Using the pointer to aim koopa shells. Stuff like that. But Nintendo is alledgeldy using straight up waggle. I suspect anybody doing a racer on Wii will folow suit.

sphinx

the piano man
Eteric Rice said:
Donkey... Kong?

yeah donkey kong country would be great as well. I sense, however, that nintendo doesn't want another DKC game if it isn't done by rare ( the one from 10 years ago, not the current one ).

PantherLotus said:
Back to the Survivor Horror Genre. I would LOVE for an Eternal Darkness sequel! Also, Luigi's Mansion 2 (longer n harder) would be fuckin awesome as well. RE4, REUC, and now Fatal Frame 4 should all make for an excellent start, but I'd REALLY love to get SK back on the Wii. They really know how to exploit some hardware.

Also, according to IGN, Nintendo IS lending some developers to this project. That is really freakin interesting.

I'd say Wii will has enough of surival horror with RE4/UC and FF4. If we consider that another RE spin-off will most likely happen, I think it's enough. Of course more is better, but nintendo securing even more survival horror games from 3rd parties wouldn't make much sense.

They need the RPGs, definitely and the realistic sports and races even more. PES 2008 on Wii is actually bigger than this ( FF4 ), I mean, konami hasn't shown this kind of support for a nintendo home console in more than 10 years!! An all-exclusive Wii PES 2008 remake would have been unthinkable just a year ago.

I really think nintendo is on the right track.

Now, I know many of you will lol but if Square Enix could somehow regain the magic of the earlier Mana series, I'd recommend nitendo to snap that series. Having popular series on a console even if they turned into crap over time, does bring credibilty to it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Grecco said:
Hey its not up to me. Case in point, Mario Kart Wii, would have been awesome with Nunchuck/Wiimote control instead of Excite Control. Using the pointer to aim koopa shells. Stuff like that. But Nintendo is alledgeldy using straight up waggle. I suspect anybody doing a racer on Wii will folow suit.

after reading this, i think my first and second-to-last comment directed at you in this thread was perfect.

Teknoman

Grecco said:

Done right, waggle-steering can be fun and alot more precise than analog. Seriously, I doubt the controls would be AS sensitive as excitetrucks though. It'll work out fine.

As far as fighting goes, other than smash bros, Power Stone 3 would work nicely with the Wii if done right.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Eteric Rice said:
I just realized that the Wii has a nice little pocket of horror games growing.

Other than this and Resident Evil, what else is coming up?

Yama

Seiken said:
Cry moar, wow. I don't think it's CG, probably pre-rendered backgrounds.
The game uses a first person perspective when looking through the camera obscura, so I doubt it.

so wait, people are assuming that these are actual in game shots, and that the game is going to be old-school RE style 2d backgrounds? I thought it was kinda obvious that these were all shots from a cg trailer. Or am I missing something here?

jarrod

Banned
Dragmire said:
Remember when Nintendo was going around acquiring second parties (SK, Left Field, Retro) and third party exclusives for late N64 and GameCube (Geist, Battalion Wars, ToS, Baten Kaitos, the Capcom 5 3, etc.), as well as putting NST to work? It seemed like they stopped doing that in the late GameCube era and for Wii. But this, Monster Hunter 3, and Monolithsoft make me hopeful.
Nintendo also obviously had a heavy hand in getting DQ Swords and Mario&Sonic off the ground... but yeah, more of this stuff please.

Looking back at (100%) 3rd party console stuff that NCL's swept in to help co-fund and distribute (which started on N64 funny enough)...

F-1 World Grand Prix (N64) 1998 Video System/Paradigm Entertainemnt
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (N64) 1999 Quest
Fushugi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2: Oni Shuufui! Siren Shiro (N64) 2000 Chunsoft
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GC) 2003 Square Enix
Baten Kaitos Origins (GC) 2006 Namco/Monolith Soft/tri-Crescendo
Fatal Frame IV (Wii) 2008 Tecmo/Grasshopper Manufacture

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
PantherLotus said:
2 games (3 games if you count UC) isn't a "little pocket?"

That's a little disappointing. I don't keep up with all the announcements and I thought he was referring to something I didn't know.

ziran

Wow, that is an interesting arrangement of credits! :lol

Enjoyed the first game, this has the potential to be great.

wii_HD

Neo Member
Dont know if its been mentioned but the homebrew English language patch as now been released.

Awaiting my copy of the game in the mail.

Top Bottom