• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FATAL FRAME: Maiden of Black Water will be releasing on Switch/PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S/PC Steam

LRKD

What was there to fix?
Nintendo Treehouse had to protect the children who might play this M rated horror game, so they censored optional lingerie costumes, and replaced them with a Zero Suit Samus, and a Zelda costume. Incredibly ridiculous and stupid, only thing stupider was the Nintendo fanboys at the time spinning this as a good thing.

Ulysses 31

Nintendo Treehouse had to protect the children who might play this M rated horror game, so they censored optional lingerie costumes, and replaced them with a Zero Suit Samus, and a Zelda costume. Incredibly ridiculous and stupid, only thing stupider was the Nintendo fanboys at the time spinning this as a good thing.
Oh, thought there was game breaking bug or something. :pie_wfwt:

As lame as removing those costumes was, the ZSS costume in some ways is more revealing.

Pejo

As lame as removing those costumes was, the ZSS costume in some ways is more revealing.
I'm fully expecting the PC version to have the original costumes + the swimsuits + the Nintendo costumes + more due to mods.

kunonabi

The real issue is that a cutscene important to one of the character's pasts was mangled from the costume removal and other alterations.

b6a6es

Banned
Yeah, their website has this:

Interesting that Nintendo decided to port to other platforms.
Tbh its Kinda surreal to see Nintendo’s trademark logo on a non-Nintendo platform (i don’t know about multiplat W101, but Nintendo’s trademark was nowhere to be seen, neither in trailers nor in credits)

As long as the content remained consistent in all regions, I was conceptually more open to this remaster, but realizing it's digital-only (at lest in the West), this will likely be a pass, outside maybe some eventual steep-sale discount.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Excited for the PS5 version. Fatal Frame is back on PS after 16 years and with trophies!

MagnesG

Banned
Tbh its Kinda surreal to see Nintendo’s trademark logo on a non-Nintendo platform (i don’t know about multiplat W101, but Nintendo’s trademark was nowhere to be seen, neither in trailers nor in credits)
Maybe there wouldn't be one for other platforms' ports.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I find this interesting coz more people viewed the PS trailer than the Nintendo trailer.

wqmayHD.jpg
:

LRKD

I find this interesting coz more people viewed the PS trailer than the Nintendo trailer.
That's crazy, I think it some ways it makes sense, the series started on PlayStation, and much of Nintendos fanbase doesn't seem to care in the slightest for Fatal Frame. I feel it's completely Nintendos fault though.

They ruined a lot of fan interest with censorship/changes to FF5 and being digital only. They never even bothered localizing FF4, and hardly acknowledge the series at all. They haven't nurtured the series in the slightest. It's a niche series, and Nintendo just doesn't really care about it, with how it doesn't fit in the rest of their first and second party games. It'd be better off if Koei Tecmo just gets full rights to Fatal Frame again, and doesn't have to worry about Nintendo's lack of interest killing the series.

NeptuneCL

That's crazy, I think it some ways it makes sense, the series started on PlayStation, and much of Nintendos fanbase doesn't seem to care in the slightest for Fatal Frame. I feel it's completely Nintendos fault though.

They ruined a lot of fan interest with censorship/changes to FF5 and being digital only. They never even bothered localizing FF4, and hardly acknowledge the series at all. They haven't nurtured the series in the slightest. It's a niche series, and Nintendo just doesn't really care about it, with how it doesn't fit in the rest of their first and second party games. It'd be better off if Koei Tecmo just gets full rights to Fatal Frame again, and doesn't have to worry about Nintendo's lack of interest killing the series.
I think you're right.

Maybe Nintendo gave this chance for people to show them why this franchise is very popular. Ninty didn´t try to localize all the Fatal Frame games to the western and they are really good! Specially the 4, for the Wii

Porcile

Well, the series will be dead again most likely because 5 was extremely mediocre. Would much rather of seen 2 remake and 4, but probably that will probably never happen now.

EDMIX

Yeah, their website has this:

Interesting that Nintendo decided to port to other platforms.

To my understanding, the do not own the majoirty of that IP, something about a partial share or something, so they might have no saw in something like this. So I don't know all the details regarding that deal, but I do know for sure they don't 100% own the IP.

How is possible!???

Nintendo have the rights of Fatal Frame I. P.

From what I recall, that is not the case. The co-own it, they do not own it outright or anything like that.

EDMIX

wqmayHD.jpg
:

Maybe, maybe not.

Consider the majority of people who like this genre own Playstations.

Resident Evils, Silent Hill, Evil Within, any of the big AAA horror titles exist on that platform, so its very likely they have a healty install base of people who like that genre ready to roll and get hype for the next horror title after they are done feasting on Resident Evil 8.

So I'm not too shocked that Playstation would have more views or likely will get the majority sales. Its the place where many, many horror titles exist on.

(Damn also forgot about The Last Of Us series, yea PS like horror shit lol)

killatopak

Well, the series will be dead again most likely because 5 was extremely mediocre. Would much rather of seen 2 remake and 4, but probably that will probably never happen now.
5 is great. I dunno what you're talking about.

The biggest issue is that it released on the Wii U. I had high hopes for it during thr direct cause it will finally get some recognition on the Switch but it releasing on all platforms is even better.

Porcile

5 is great. I dunno what you're talking about.

The biggest issue is that it released on the Wii U. I had high hopes for it during thr direct cause it will finally get some recognition on the Switch but it releasing on all platforms is even better.

I just found the whole thing totally repetitive and samey, especially the environments and combat.

KiteGr

My problem with the series ever since the jump to Nintendo are that they abandoned the static cameras and made all protagonists top-models/idols. This is a Horror game. Sexualizing's these characters cheapens the experience and make the game look like a cheap teen direct-to-dvd movie.

Needless to say, I'm going to buy this one!

b6a6es

Banned
Also worth mentioning, back then there was a japanese games boycott going on, so a lot of companies stopped bringing japanese games to the west.
A lot of Nintendo Wii and DS games never left Japan.
So though Nintendo may have some blame, it's worth mentioning the context that the game was released in.
As far as i can remember it had to do with china (late 2000’s) so I dunno if there was one with west as well…

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

When I watched Nintendo direct, it was the only switch game for me this year.

but since it’s on Xbox /PS too, I’ll take it on Xbox.

so glad it’s happening.
Did anyone play the original on wii U?
Is it good?

fart town usa

Gold Member
When I watched Nintendo direct, it was the only switch game for me this year.

but since it’s on Xbox /PS too, I’ll take it on Xbox.

so glad it’s happening.
Did anyone play the original on wii U?
Is it good?
It's a good game, Nothing mind blowing, feels like you're playing a PS2 title with budget HD graphics.

Great sound design though and atmospheric. Not super scary but definitely tense at points. My only gripe is the ridiculous outfits the women wear in it. It's stuff that people actually wear but it just comes off as dumb when you have a short skirt, transparent blouse, heels wearing character running through the woods fighting ghosts, lol.

lyan

My problem with the series ever since the jump to Nintendo are that they abandoned the static cameras and made all protagonists top-models/idols. This is a Horror game. Sexualizing's these characters cheapens the experience and make the game look like a cheap teen direct-to-dvd movie.

Needless to say, I'm going to buy this one!
I have always find the protagonists of the series to be top-model/idol like, just weren't as clear because ps2 graphics lol.

Sakura

This was actually a pretty good game. No intention of re-buying it though.

wqmayHD.jpg
:
Aren't those different trailers though, or am I missing something? One is 0:59 and the other is 1:54. If I was looking for a trailer I'd probably watch the longer one too.

Holammer

How is possible!???

Maybe it's a similar arrangement like Sony did with many of its former exclusives developed by Quantic Dream & Annapurna Interactive, so they could get PC ports.
Koei Tecmo is a valued partner for Nintendo, blocking them from making some extra money would be a dick move, even for Nintendo.

Hell, maybe they're testing the water like Sony did. If we suddenly get Bayonetta 2 ports, we know.

near

Gold Member
How is possible!???

If I recall correctly the Fatal Frame IP belongs to Koei Tecmo, but Nintendo co-owns the copyright because they developed this game. I think the same can be said with every co-developed game with Nintendo, they'll always own a share of it's copyright.

Do we know if there will be a physical release?
So far, all we have is the one English-language trailer saying the title will be available digitally. The Japanese trailers, website, and press coverage make no mention of how the game will be offered.

The one bit of speculation I'll add is Play Asia was out there pretty quickly retweeting news about the game. They could be hinting at another situation like Ninja Gaiden Masters Collection, where Japan & Asia saw physical copies that include English support.

Last edited:
Top Bottom