• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FATAL FRAME: Maiden of Black Water will be releasing on Switch/PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S/PC Steam

fart town usa

Gold Member
Great news but I can't stop thinking it looks like a ps3 game graphically.
It does.

The trailer made it seem like the graphics had a new look or something on them. Similar to Zombi U on the Wii U vs. how it looks on the PS4.

It's not a bad game by any stretch though, if you like Horror games and don't mind playing something that feels like a PS2 title, you'll really enjoy it. That's not a knock either about feeling like a PS2 game. It's just pretty straight forward in its design; go there, fight ghosts, use items. Feels old but plays fine. Atmosphere and sound design are super effective. Game isn't too scary but definitely makes you feel apprehensive when exploring.

There's one ghost in particular, not really a spoiler cause it isn't a boss fight or anything. But the ghost is like 12+ feet tall. It's pretty disturbing when you see it coming at you and then you realize how big it is. That was super memorable. I was legit, "what the fuuuuuuuuuuuck!?!" lol.

So do Fatal Frame games actually have an audience, or are they niche games like Silent Hill catering to a core fanbase?

Last edited:

ssringo

So do Fatal Frame games actually have an audience, or are they niche games like Silent Hill catering to a core fanbase?
It was always niche but there is definitely an audience for the game. Though being only on Nintendo for many years hasn't helped.

There are a couple games on Steam called Dreadout that uses the idea of using a phone to fight ghosts. Solid games but Fatal Frame does this style best imo.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Wasn't this game critically panned?
Most of the lower scored reviews said it was either because of the controls or that once you use your camera, you need to use the gamepad as a screen which is normally on your lap so you have to constantly look at the tv then down at the gamepad.

If that was the reason then it shouldn’t be a problem anymore as the rerelease has to do everything on one screen.

I dunno I felt like it was a great use of the gamepad but I do understand where they’re coming from.

kunonabi

Most of the lower scored reviews said it was either because of the controls or that once you use your camera, you need to use the gamepad as a screen which is normally on your lap so you have to constantly look at the tv then down at the gamepad.

If that was the reason then it shouldn’t be a problem anymore as the rerelease has to do everything on one screen.

I dunno I felt like it was a great use of the gamepad but I do understand where they’re coming from.
The gamepad was poorly used but not really for the reasons the reviewers pointed out. I was pretty disappointed with how the controls turned out considering the potential so going back to standard FF controls wouldnt be the worst thing ever.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I wonder if a new title is on the cards or if the previous games will get a Remaster

Mabdia

So far, all we have is the one English-language trailer saying the title will be available digitally. The Japanese trailers, website, and press coverage make no mention of how the game will be offered.

The one bit of speculation I'll add is Play Asia was out there pretty quickly retweeting news about the game. They could be hinting at another situation like Ninja Gaiden Masters Collection, where Japan & Asia saw physical copies that include English support.

Thanks! That's enough for me. Mega it expensive to get but at least it is a physical copy.

Happy to see Zero multiplatform again! Even if it's my least fav title of the series I will support the new release.
Sad to see that it's digital only, though. I hope price will be honest

Last edited:

Eanox

Here’s hoping the PS2 games will be remastered.
This will also be a good fit for VR so I hope Sony will take a look into this.

Eanox

Here’s hoping the PS2 games will be remastered.
This will also be a good fit for VR so I hope Sony will take a look into this.

raduque

I played the original way back in the day on my xbox and I remember being terrified. I'm not sure if I even finished it. I loved the game though. I never played another one sadly, till the 3ds one came out and I just couldn't get into it.

WIll I be able to play this one without having played anything but 1?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't care too much about the graphics I mostly play SH games from the 5th and 6th gen but I would expect a modern title to have modern graphics.

It isn't modern. It's a game that is seven years old and was originally released for the Nintendo Wii U.

Also "modern graphics" means nothing when "modern" games can look like anything. Ori: Will of the Wisps is a modern game. So is Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. So is CrossCode. So is The World Ends With You: NEO.

Again, put your focus on things that actually matter and worry less about graphical fidelity. Art direction, music, sound design, controls, gameplay - those are and have always been more important.

Last edited:

cortadew

It isn't modern. It's a game that is seven years old and was originally released for the Nintendo Wii U.

Also "modern graphics" means nothing when "modern" games can look like anything. Ori: Will of the Wisps is a modern game. So is Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. So is CrossCode. So is The World Ends With You: NEO.

Again, put your focus on things that actually matter and worry less about graphical fidelity. Art direction, music, sound design, controls, gameplay - those are and have always been more important.
and who told you I don't put attention to those elements? so now I cannot give my opinion on why if a game looks not so good graphically.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
and who told you I don't put attention to those elements? so now I cannot give my opinion on why if a game looks not so good graphically.
giphy.gif

cortadew

I agree with you, I just didn't know it was an old game I thought it was a new entry.

I disagree with your total dismiss of graphical fidelity. it is true that the horror genre being more niche in general in comparisons to other genres doesn't need to be cutting edge in that department but when you have a certain vision as a developer sometimes you need the technology to portray that vision properly.

for example that's the reason Shinji Mikami and his team remade the original resident evil on the gamecube. because the 5th gen consoles could not handle some gameplay elements they wanted to incorpore.

But yes, art direction, music, sound design, controls, gameplay are more important.

lachesis

Getting the Steam version. I was on the borderline of getting it for my Wii U, but I think I will just go with Steam on sale. (...mods...)

Top Bottom