• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water |OT| Pokémon Snap U: After Dark

myco666

Oh boy am I glad I pre-ordered this. One of my local stores sells it at 150€ and the one where I ordered has raised the price to 100€. Ridiculous prices.

-shadow-

Gotta love capitalism! I'm happy that the store I usually buy at doesn't pull those kinds of actions.

Well it's not optional for me if it makes loading times shorter^^ But I think you can skip it and stream from disc. Don't know if it's a good idea though.
Alright, I'll first try the disc itself than. If they're anywhere near the originals I'm more than fine with that. If it's Lego City Undercover I know what to do!

Jacqli

I am not a fan (yet) of Project Zero, but I could not resist the temptation because this limited edition is just a steal: it is so beautiful and simple. I think Nintendo nailed it.

Well I guess this happened (excuse the potato pic):

gaf16cr40.jpg

Second copy is part collector mentality, part 'buy another copy to send a message to Nintendo that people will buy this', even if it is just a dip in the ocean.

Akibared

The great thing about the physical edition: No installation, no 16GB extra space needed. Digital version would be terrible for me because I only have 32GB and a couple of things installed (and XenobladeX is coming with a mandatory install). And the physical disc can be sold later (+when I look at past Limited Editions of Nintendo games for prices above the MSRP)

TL;DR Do it!

I'm from the US so I had to go with digital. :( It would just look really nice with my game collection.

kunonabi

No reversible on the Japanese version, unfortunately.

I'm quite certain that if the situation was reversed and it was only the US that got this edition, I'd be seething with jealousy myself. I never imagined we would see a translated digital release, let alone a physical one in any form. It was never going to be a game that sold in huge numbers, something that Nintendo would have been well aware of - but someone at Nintendo Europe clearly saw value in releasing it outside Japan, and in a physical set that caters nicely to fans of the series. To that person/persons I'm truly grateful, but a little sad that there wasn't someone similar at NoA to give it the green light as well.

Boo at no reversible. NOE really did a nice job with the LE though. It's too bad they couldn't get permission to use the black cases and darker banners though. That reversible cover would look even better that way.

Nezzhil

JsmhQ5G.jpg

After finishing Zero 4 (my first contact with this saga), I can't wait to play it!
But I still need to play Zero 2

Anyone have any combat tips? It seems like each ghost takes a really long time to kill and it's hard to keep track of it because it moves around so much. Also what do the lenses do? I remember reading about them yesterday but it was like 3 am and I was tired and groggy so I don't remember the specifics haha.

Bl@de

I have a question for people who already played the game. Should I explore the whole areas in a chapter before following a spirit or will I revisit the areas (Chapter 3 right now). I'm asking because the forest area is huge and I don't really know if I should just run around everywhere. The problems of classic survival horror ... Missed that so much :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Anyone have any combat tips? It seems like each ghost takes a really long time to kill and it's hard to keep track of it because it moves around so much. Also what do the lenses do? I remember reading about them yesterday but it was like 3 am and I was tired and groggy so I don't remember the specifics haha.

I haven't played FF5 yet, but if it's anything like the rest of the series, the best way to do combat is to not just snap pictures, but wait for the moment when the ghost is about to attack you. Try to keep your camera focused on it to build-up 'charge' (which will deliver more damage the more charged you are), and when the ghost is about to attack you, snap a picture. They take more damage if you hit them when they're poising an attack, but the most damage if you do a 'Fatal Frame', which is something like a second or two opportunity right before they attack you that delivers massive damage (and often delivers a good amount of points).

Lenses often give you bonus abilities, such as a light on the camera blinking when an enemy is in their Fatal Frame moment. Also remember to upgrade your camera, you can upgrade a variety of features about it including power (damage), charge speed (make you charge your camera faster), max charge (increase how much charge you can store), Shutter reload (how long it takes your camera to reload before you can take another pic), and more.

Dusk Golem

I have a question for people who already played the game. Should I explore the whole areas in a chapter before following a spirit or will I revisit the areas (Chapter 3 right now). I'm asking because the forest area is huge and I don't really know if I should just run around everywhere. The problems of classic survival horror ... Missed that so much :)

Again, haven't played Fatal Frame 5, but this is up to you. If it's anything like literally every other entry in the series, if you just want to beat the game, then follow the ghosts. BUT, every Fatal Frame game ever usually has hidden ghosts, side-quests, and hidden scenes for those who explore. If you want to experience everything the game has to offer, then exploring may be worth it, but don't do it if you think it'll dampen your enjoyment of the game. But if you're curious if it's completely useless or not, if the rest of the series has anything to say, it isn't. At times there may be nothing outside of the main path, but usually FF games stuff hidden things in specific chapters in specific locations way off the beaten path.

Fatal Frame 1, 2, 3, and 4 all have these moments where places far away from where your supposed to be going have some hidden ghosts and/or side-quests, and often small little areas have hidden easter eggs/scares. Sometimes hidden notes and camera opportunity ghosts. Usually there's at least one or two battable ghosts that are completely optional. If you want to get a close to (or perfect) Ghost Collection, then you sort of need too, but also it might be easier to save that for another playthrough since a guide will probably be written eventually.

Since it's structured like missions, you can always choose a chapter you complete again from the menu in the future and retry to get those hidden items/ghosts. I wouldn't worry too much about that right now and just enjoy the game you see fit.

Tidd

I will get my retail copy tomorrow. :)
But I have a question regarding the demo version.
Can I download the demo version, play the free chapters, switch to the retail version and continue to play with the same save file? I would assume it should work but who knows how Nintendo handles different versions of the same game. <.<

Dusk Golem

I will get my retail copy tomorrow. :)
But I have a question regarding the demo version.
Can I download the demo version, play the free chapters, switch to the retail version and continue to play with the same save file? I would assume it should work but who knows how Nintendo handles different versions of the same game. <.<

Yes, you can.

h0tp0ck3t

Try to keep your camera focused on it to build-up 'charge' (which will deliver more damage the more charged you are),

The cool thing is that you don't have to charge anymore. If you don't score a fatal frame it'll cause fragments to split off the ghost. you then use the gamepad to try and frame 5 of them plus the ghost and if you get the shot it'll stun the ghost and knock it back,

Bl@de

Thx @Sumio & Dusk for the info. Will explore so I don't miss too much (already missed a couple of ghosts, some of them are really tricky)

First Impressions after 2h30min gameplay (in ch.3 right now):
- Good graphics and great artwork (some framerate dips to 25 though)
- Fantastic atmosphere (classic japanese horror)
- Classic Survival-Horror gameplay (explore, read documents, survive battles)
- Very slow pacing (I like it, fits the depressing theme of suicide)
- Controls are fine (I prefer analog stick, don't like spinning around on my couch)
- No bugs, no glitches, perfect launch
- Short load times
- Gamepad shows a map with your position and the direction you're facing (great for exploring)

= if you like classic survival-horror you will enjoy the game (I really do so far). If you want fast paced action-horror ... Get Evil Within or something else.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JsmhQ5G.jpg

After finishing Zero 4 (my first contact with this saga), I can't wait to play it!
But I still need to play Zero 2
Don't forget the third game. I dunno why, but it always seem to be glossed over. It was actually my favorite in the series. :-/

llehuty

I'm about to jump into the game. Which is the better dubbing? English or Japanese. I'm really on the fence (and is shitty that there aren't spanish texts).

Hope the game sales well enough to send a message to Nintendo.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
- Controls are fine (I prefer analog stick, don't like spinning around on my couch)

it's not actually one or the other and the game doesn't expect you to spin around. you're supposed to use the stick for general directional control and motion controls are mostly just for fine tuning and rotation to hit as many targets as possible.

Got the digital version, and so far I love it, even though I just started it, controls are already miles better than on wii.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bpakk.jpg

Graphically the game is very pleasant.

Bl@de

it's not actually one or the other and the game doesn't expect you to spin around. you're supposed to use the stick for general directional control and motion controls are mostly just for fine tuning and rotation to hit as many targets as possible.

I know, but in the heat of a battle I forget it and try to spin around with the gamepad because it's intuitive. The combination of normal and motion controls is confusing (for me) when everything has to be quick^^

PS. How can I upload screenshots from my WiiU screenshot album. Made a couple of screenshots earlier but I can only upload to the WiiU community -.-

@Ilehuty: Japanese is the way to go for me. The game is so japanese (theme, artwork, ...) that english voices would feel out of place. Haven't even tried it yet.

flozuki

If anyone wants the retail copy (Europe, but I can also send to other countries): Our local Media Markt has still copies for 60 Euros. I reserve them online, we can find out your shipping costs and we are good to go.

Nezzhil

Don't forget the third game. I dunno why, but it always seem to be glossed over. It was actually my favorite in the series. :-/
Thanks for the tip. My PS2 is broken, but I will grab the game when I get a working one.
I'm gladly surprised with this saga, because I usually doesn't like the genre. I found the 4 really fun (and thrilling some times) so I bought the 2 (Wii) without thinking to much

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Since I've decided to sell my unopened copy after trying the demo, I guess I will resort to finally unwrap and start playing PZ2 on Wii... probably should've done that before lol :)

TheMoon

PS. How can I upload screenshots from my WiiU screenshot album. Made a couple of screenshots earlier but I can only upload to the WiiU community -.-

You can't upload them.

You have to go to an imagehoster in the Wii U browser if you want to upload screenshots to the web. But you can't save those, you have to upload them as you play. But they'll be 720p at least, not the 480p you get on Miiverse.

It's my favourite too. It's definitely the creepiest for me. So underrated. I honestly think that vanilla 2 is really overrated and is the weakest one in the series.

Top Bottom