• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water |OT| Pokémon Snap U: After Dark

adroit

Right, and the camera hud shows up on screen when you pull it up so you don't have to look down at the gamepad.
That right there is why I switched. I've got nothing against motion control. Love it in Splatoon. But staring at that little GamePad screen instead of my HDTV? Yeah, no thanks!

I tried to move like crazy in first chapter but didn't notice a thing lol after that I stopped caring.
I can 100% confirm there's jiggle. At least in the trial version of the NA release there is. I cannot confirm its a toned down jiggle compared to Japan but it there.

Effect

Can't play this at night anymore. I guess I'm just no good with horror games that aren't Resident Evil because this game's tension is getting to me. Same thing happen with ZombiU where I had to play it during the day because it was getting to me.

Finally here.

img_1975oho8m.jpg

img_1986d7qtc.jpg

img_2037bsq99.jpg

img_1996murbz.jpg

img_1998uorrq.jpg

img_19990tpen.jpg

img_2002zppk0.jpg

img_2005i9roa.jpg

img_2003qgpcy.jpg

img_201446qlr.jpg

img_2016mgpzh.jpg

img_2018u3ow1.jpg

img_20174cqcp.jpg

img_2019m1rdc.jpg

Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be able to do this:

img_2042wko5k.jpg

h0tp0ck3t

Is there anyway to stop the cutscenes from playing on the gamepad? Brand new wii u owner here so sorry if this is a dumb question lol

myco666

Finally here.

Looking good. Have to wait for mine to arrive till Monday since retailer didn't get stock today. Luckily there is the trial version on eShop so I can play it still. Does anyone know if the trial version save work with disc? I assume it would work but you never know.

dolabla

I can't play it since my console is a US version (damn you Nintendo with your region locking), but I ordered the limited edition anyways just to have.

Amazon Spain and Amazon Germany had them in stock, so I said why the hell not just as collectors item. I got it $67 with shipping on Amazon Spain since it was cheaper than Amazon Germany (about $74 with shipping on there).

Heck, I wasn't even gonna get the game digitally because I'm still pretty PO'd about the whole not getting a physical release here in the US ordeal, but now I've given in because I really want to play it. I just gotta delete some stuff from my hard drive :(

IzzyF3

I've been playing it the way it was meant to be played: alone at night, lights out and with an office swivel chair. It's really fantastic and incredibly scary just the way I remember the series. I'm loving the Wii U game pad integration, the game wouldn't be the same experience on any other console.

So, I played the first part of the trial, basically up till where you were attacked by the ghost, and here's my thoughts so far:

Art is well done. It is creepy, and the game looks gorgeous.

So far... not too scary. Didn't really *grab* me with anything. Does this get fixed as I progress past the prologue?

Controls seemed a little... Wonky? Seemed really hard to just turn and point her in a direction. Running and everything was fine though.

They give you like 1/10th of a second to actually react to these ghosts... And I'm supposed to capture them for bonuses? I feel like I'm going to be pretty underpowered by the end of the game if I go on.... T-T

Going to play more tonight, now that it's closer to Halloween.

adroit

Controls seemed a little... Wonky? Seemed really hard to just turn and point her in a direction. Running and everything was fine though.

Here are the "shortcuts" I'm aware of:

To turn and face the opposite direction in search mode (i.e., not looking through camera), move the L stick straight down (not a circular motion) until the character turns around, then press the ZL button to move the camera behind the character. This "works" but is still very clunky, IMHO.

In camera mode, holding L (not ZL) while using the R stick will rotate you very quickly. So an alternative to the above is to switch to camera mode, hold L, and use the R stick to swing around.

I haven't tried this yet but pressing the ZR button in search mode when ghosts are around is supposed to turn you to face the ghost nearest you. If this actually works well, it might be the best option in combat. Try it and see. Might be great. Might be terrible. Dunno yet.

Mithos

Damn, was expecting to pay premium for the Limited Edition as normal/usual (~$85) but the invoice from my pre-order just showed up and its ~$60. *thumbs up*

I hope it gets here tomorrow, so that I do not have to wait until Monday.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hope it goes up at midnight cause it's been so hard staring at my unopened LE and having the will of leaving it like that until I'm positive I like the game enough ugh! >_<

Semajer

Started it today and did about four chapters. I do have a few questions. Is there a proper ghost list like in previous games that lists all the vanishing ghosts? Are there any hidden stationary ghosts? Can I seriously not use motion controls while having the camera HUD on my TV screen?

chrono01

Finally here.

*insert of a bunch of jealousy-inducing images*
I think I hate you. No, I don't hate you, but I do hate NOA right about now, that package is amazing. I don't own Fatal Frame and I won't, not unless a physical copy is released here in NA.

Yes, I'm fully convinced I'll never own it. ;_;

What is a good external hard drive for the WiiU? I dont have any more space on my HDD

I know some people like myself upgrade the stock PS3/PS4 hardrive since those are too small with all the downloadable games, installs and patches.

They then put the old internal in an enclosure (I bought mine for $7 off Amazon it came with the Y cable) and plug it into the Wii.

The Wii U is very low power so you need a Y cable to connect the hard drive. Basically it has two USB connections to draw more power.

Non of the portable hard drives I've bought (Including a Western Digital Mypassport a few months back) came with Y-Cables just a single USB connection.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I bought the full game today, was gonna play it a lil bit ago from where i left off but im a pussy ass bitch so i will probably play tomorrow maybe before work, and saturday because halloween and cause its daytime, making it safer than it would be.

Mithos

In a baffling last second move, EB Games has revealed Australia will be getting a cheaper, standalone release of Project Zero tomorrow. It was previously only available with the limited edition. https://www.ebgames.com.au/wiiu-206747-Project-Zero---Maiden-of-the-Black-Water-Wii-U

Maybe Europe will also follow with a normal release?

I dear I hope not... Because that could mean that the copy I'm getting in the standalone and not the Limited Edition.

My invoice are on ~$60, previous limited editions on Wii U have been ~$85, ah mere hours until the mail shows up.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Well, I'm sorry to say the "demo" didn't grab me. I find it decent but nothing I really want to play, especially with my huge backlog spanning half a dozen systems. Still happy I supported the series and niche games, will be selling my unopened LE and make some latecomer happy :)

Does the Japanese version have the reversible cover because I freakin love it.

No reversible on the Japanese version, unfortunately.

I think I hate you. No, I don't hate you, but I do hate NOA right about now, that package is amazing. I don't own Fatal Frame and I won't, not unless a physical copy is released here in NA.

Yes, I'm fully convinced I'll never own it. ;_;

I'm quite certain that if the situation was reversed and it was only the US that got this edition, I'd be seething with jealousy myself. I never imagined we would see a translated digital release, let alone a physical one in any form. It was never going to be a game that sold in huge numbers, something that Nintendo would have been well aware of - but someone at Nintendo Europe clearly saw value in releasing it outside Japan, and in a physical set that caters nicely to fans of the series. To that person/persons I'm truly grateful, but a little sad that there wasn't someone similar at NoA to give it the green light as well.

chrono01

I'm quite certain that if the situation was reversed and it was only the US that got this edition, I'd be seething with jealousy myself. I never imagined we would see a translated digital release, let alone a physical one in any form. It was never going to be a game that sold in huge numbers, something that Nintendo would have been well aware of - but someone at Nintendo Europe clearly saw value in releasing it outside Japan, and in a physical set that caters nicely to fans of the series. To that person/persons I'm truly grateful, but a little sad that there wasn't someone similar at NoA to give it the green light as well.
Indeed, it's a sad situation for us. :(

However, I am glad to see that EU fans were at least lucky enough to get a physical [and Limited Edition, at that!] copy. Congrats on the purchase, BTW. I forgot to say that during my last post.

TheMoon

At least it's released on disc somewhere so you can always import and put that on your shelf while playing the digital version.

-shadow-

With that picture I'm seriously considering buying two copies. One to play and one to keep sealed and show my support for the series. But I don't want to be the kind of person that makes it impossible for someone else not being able to get a physical copy. I'll wait and see, maybe in a month I'll still be able to do it :)

My copy just arrived from GAME here in the UK.

I thought it was a Nintendo store exclusive but GAME got some. Seems like the exact same edition.

Bl@de

Don't tempt me! All these pictures are making me want it.

The great thing about the physical edition: No installation, no 16GB extra space needed. Digital version would be terrible for me because I only have 32GB and a couple of things installed (and XenobladeX is coming with a mandatory install). And the physical disc can be sold later (+when I look at past Limited Editions of Nintendo games for prices above the MSRP)

TL;DR Do it!

Top Bottom