• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAU moving to fire professor who's harassing family of Sandy Hook victim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sun Sentinel: FAU takes steps to fire prof who said Sandy Hook was a hoax

Florida Atlantic University is trying to fire James Tracy, a controversial professor whose conspiracy theories about the Sandy Hook massacre and other tragedies brought the school unwanted publicity.

An FAU administrator gave Tracy a letter Wednesday saying he was being recommended for termination. He has 10 days to file an appeal, “after which final action may be taken,” a university statement said.

However, the issue heated up again last week, when Veronique and Lenny Pozner, whose son, Noah, died at Sandy Hook, wrote an editorial in the Sun Sentinel accusing Tracy of taunting them.

“Tracy is among those who have personally sought to cause our family pain and anguish by publicly demonizing our attempts to keep cherished photos of our slain son from falling into the hands of conspiracy theorists,” they wrote in the Dec. 10 opinion piece.

They said he even sent them a certified letter demanding proof that Noah once lived, that they were his parents and owned the rights to the photo.

ezekial45

Banned
They said he even sent them a certified letter demanding proof that Noah once lived, that they were his parents and owned the rights to the photo.

Sandy Hook Truthers are fucking vile. Jesus, this guy is an asshole.

I've got a friend who is super high on all this "crisis actor" stuff, along with the big shootings (including Sandy Hook) being "false flag" events, and I just can't wrap my head around it.

Luckily, he knows how much his ranting about this stuff annoys me, and he usually keeps it to himself.

Still, I can't imagine looking at the government and thinking that even if they would do this kind of thing, that they could pull it off without it being immediately obvious that it was fake, staged, or a cover-up of something else.

NH Apache

Banned
From the Prof:

“The local conspirators in Newtown, such as the alleged parents of the murdered children, including Lenny and Veronique Pozner, have made out very well financially, soliciting contributions from generous yet misinformed Americans, where the families have averaged more than $1 million apiece."

“The only proof Lenny has produced that Noah died in Sandy Hook is a death certificate he provided to one of the book’s contributors, which has been revealed as a fabrication,” according to the comments attributed to Tracy. “If Noah actually died, there would have been no reason to fake it.”

Vile.

And, guess what he teaches....Mass comm. If I was FAU, I'd be embarrassed that he was employed this long.

Also, Stormfront is all over those comments.

While its pretty disgusting this is happening, I am curious as to why anyone would believe this was all a hoax?

To hear it told from my friend, it's all about control and keeping people afraid. The "proof" always seems to involve supposedly conflicting information and sightings of "crisis actors" (people who the government hires to play victims) in other similar events.

ShyMel

He is absolute trash. How can you think asking parents for proof that their child is dead is acceptable? How far off your rocker do you have to be?

DrArchon

While its pretty disgusting this is happening, I am curious as to why anyone would believe this was all a hoax?

A common thing I hear online is that the Obama admin. is supposedly creating fake gun violence tragedies to help further their plans of taking away everyone's guns and turning the US into a full police state. Bunch of loonies. They fear their guns being taken from them so they create a story that fits their fears.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
G7q6E.gif

I know that there are Sandy Hook truthers, but why are there Sandy Hook truthers.

People are stupid/crazy. Their profession or level of education doesn't change that. Look at Ben Carson. A world renowned neurosurgeon....who legitimately believes that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain.

Fuchsdh

I was going to say that being a conspiracy wing nut in and of itself isn't a great grounds to kick out a professor, but if they've actually been harassing people than FAU has some grounds above and beyond "it looks bad" to terminate his employment.

I once had an adjunct prof make us watch a 9/11 truther film my final day of video production class. That was interesting.

EDIT: Also for those people interested in the start of the rabbit hole, the professor's first post tagged with Newtown was immediately suspicious and connected it to conspiracies around MLK, JFK and RFK. You don't get some nuts without a whole fruitcake behind it, seems like. http://memoryholeblog.com/2012/12/2...ve-sandy-hooks-disappearing-shooter-suspects/

A common thing I hear online is that the Obama admin. is supposedly creating fake gun violence tragedies to help further their plans of taking away everyone's guns and turning the US into a full police state. Bunch of loonies. They fear their guns being taken from them so they create a story that fits their fears.

And it's the dumbest conspiracy, since his plan didn't work. Even if Obama orchestrated it all, it didn't help him pass his gun control agenda. Why would he keep doing the same thing over and over if it doesn't work?

Fuchsdh

And it's the dumbest conspiracy, since his plan didn't work. Even if Obama orchestrated it all, it didn't help him pass his gun control agenda. Why would he keep doing the same thing over and over if it doesn't work?

This is always what gets me with conspiracy theories. They require a level of cleverness and competence that somehow never actually manages to result in the intended doomsday plan. Like the idea that the landlord on the WTC destroyed his own buildings to create a more cost-effective structure on the site. That worked out well...

This is always what gets me with conspiracy theories. They require a level of cleverness and competence that somehow never actually manages to result in the intended doomsday plan. Like the idea that the landlord on the WTC destroyed his own buildings to create a more cost-effective structure on the site. That worked out well...

The most interesting about most conspiracy theories to me is the idea that governments and massive organization create the most complicated devious plans and idea to subvert the entire population, but do it in such a way that only the most under-educated and disturbed people can figure it out.

Jag

If you have kids, you start to hear traces of crazy in some of their teachers. My younger son had to read and discuss Ben Carson's book in public school. My other son developed some interesting theories on JFK and the moon landings.

Oh. Yes, we live in Florida.

In a few weeks, I will send a certified letter to that guy, where I'll accuse him of trying to garner sympathy, and demand proofs of his termination.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
People are stupid/crazy.

It's not just that. There's a fundamental selfishness in the way that they look at the world. They are so self-centered that they re-contextualize everything in terms of how it could impact them personally, instead of feeling empathy and sympathy for others. The Sandy Hook thing makes guns look bad, therefore someone might want to regulate guns, therefore someone might want to take their guns. Since their world revolves around themselves, anything that could negatively impact them isn't just unfortunate, it's an attack. So Sandy Hook isn't a tragedy that happened to some kids, it's an attack on them.

Since they see the event (maybe not even consciously) as an attack on them, they begin to suspect that it was intended as an attack on them. It's a short way to go from "maybe it was intended as an attack on me and those like me", to "who has to gain from attacking me (aka who do I see as an enemy)", and from there to "my enemy orchestrated this attack on me", and from there to "it ONLY exists as an attack on me, and therefore any other aspects (its factual basis, its harm toward other people) are superfluous (and/or false)."

So the next time a Sandy Hook style tragedy rolls around, it's not just "that's sad or unfortunate, both for them and because it might have a negative impact on me personally." It's "well isn't it suspicious that these things keep happening", with an unspoken "to me" slipped in at the end there.

Risible

I've got a friend who is super high on all this "crisis actor" stuff, along with the big shootings (including Sandy Hook) being "false flag" events, and I just can't wrap my head around it.

Luckily, he knows how much his ranting about this stuff annoys me, and he usually keeps it to himself.

Still, I can't imagine looking at the government and thinking that even if they would do this kind of thing, that they could pull it off without it being immediately obvious that it was fake, staged, or a cover-up of something else.

You should slap the shit out of him and then de-friend that asshole.

You should slap the shit out of him and then de-friend that asshole.

Eh, if I unfriended people over their idiotic beliefs, rather than their actual behavior, I'd lose a lot of friends. For me, it's almost like a fascinating study, because I am honestly baffled by how he can believe all this stuff, or I would be, if he weren't also anti-fluoride, a believer in UFO coverups, etc.

I blame the volume of LSD he consumed in his early teen years.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Truthers will now cite this firing as proof of their dumb conspiracy.

It's not just that. There's a fundamental selfishness in the way that they look at the world. They are so self-centered that they re-contextualize everything in terms of how it could impact them personally, instead of feeling empathy and sympathy for others. The Sandy Hook thing makes guns look bad, therefore someone might want to regulate guns, therefore someone might want to take their guns. Since their world revolves around themselves, anything that could negatively impact them isn't just unfortunate, it's an attack. So Sandy Hook isn't a tragedy that happened to some kids, it's an attack on them.

Since they see the event (maybe not even consciously) as an attack on them, they begin to suspect that it was intended as an attack on them. It's a short way to go from "maybe it was intended as an attack on me and those like me", to "who has to gain from attacking me (aka who do I see as an enemy)", and from there to "my enemy orchestrated this attack on me", and from there to "it ONLY exists as an attack on me, and therefore any other aspects (its factual basis, its harm toward other people) are superfluous (and/or false)."

So the next time a Sandy Hook style tragedy rolls around, it's not just "that's sad or unfortunate, both for them and because it might have a negative impact on me personally." It's "well isn't it suspicious that these things keep happening", with an unspoken "to me" slipped in at the end there.

This is really good stuff.

That event had lots of very questionable things happen both before and after that to this day haven't been explained but I wouldn't go harassing people over it asking for trouble. His course revolved around conspiracy and we know many countries have lots of them, and if proof in either direction was actually available they could go both ways, but sadly he seems to believe in things being one sided only and if you start personally harassing people you can expect swift internet retribution.

Anyone that thinks things are impossible I'll just leave this here for you to consider

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods

Thankfully JFK wasn't a crooked asshole that's all I can say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom