• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite and Least Favorite Sonic Characters?

Alright, despite how loathsome the characters can get in the series, there is still a lot to like about the characters. I also think that a lot of the characters have potential, despite them being consistently screwed over with terrible writing and shit Voice acting. Who are your favorites, and your least favorite characters in the Sonic series?

For favorite, I gotta go with Sonic (duh), and Knuckles. Shadow I think has a compelling intention in the series, but unfortunately he's never had a good writer or voice actor to actually give him a chance. I think the same way about Rogue, oddly enough.

Also, Tikal is pretty boss....if she was better written.

Least is Big, the Jar Jar Binks of the Sonic series. Amy is pretty annoying too. But really, Sonic has the potential to be decent if given the right treatment, but we know that probably won't ever happen and we'll be stuck with shit like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006. Smh.

Favourite - Dr Robotnik, in his Sonic 1/2/3/CD/Knuckles incarnation. A great, mysterious, creative villain.

Worst - Shadow. The ebodiment of everything that went wrong with Sonic. The art of him holding Uzis on the front of one of the box arts pretty much covers it.

fhqwhgads

Favorite: Every version of Eggman (Especially Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog version) and most recently Sticks
Least: Boobs the Bat

Favorite: Cream
Least Favorite: Knuckles

A lot of people assume I like Shadow but not really.

My dream Sonic game has just Amy, Tails, Cream, and sure throw Shadow there too. Nobody else.

Fav: Blaze the Cat
Least: Charmy the Bee

Game-wise at least. I'm sure the comics makes characters like Charmy or Big amazing.

Favorite: E-102 Gamma
Built to serve Eggman, his circuitry has a change of heart after an interaction with one of the critters Eggman has affected in his search for the emerowds. One identity crisis later, his mission becomes clear; the only way to "free" his brothers is to kill them. Once his mission is complete, the final robot left to free is... himself. He self-destructs as the bird's mother and father are united again to join their child. It's the final image he sees before he ends his life. It's the secret best, most tragic plot in any Sonic game to date. Gamma is a straight up boss, who suffered the greatest sacrifice for the smallest creatures. Gamma, you get the top spot from me.

Most Intriguing: Shadow the Hedgehog
I'll give Sonic 06 this; Shadow's portion was the most well written, "layered" story of the game. His ambiguity as to where he stands with the world and how people view him gave him an almost undeserved depth to his struggles throughout the game. This was by far a more tolerable handling of his character than the gangbanger they tried to create post SA2. The potential's on the table, but the execution will likely never tap into the more elegant (however accidental) approach in 06. He's not my favorite, but I thought I'd make up this category to at least give him some credit.

Worst: That Parrot fuck from Riders.
Annoying to listen to, annoying to look at, with a terrible personality to boot. Hopefully his existence is buried with the Riders franchise.

Favorite: Tails and Shadow. Tails reflects on my own personality in the Adventure games, the depressive type that wants to be somebody bigger than he is - and I just love Shadow's story arc.

Least favorite? Probably Amy. Never liked her, except maybe CD where it's way more subtle.

Wait, actually I take that back. Chip from Sonic Unleashed. Or yeah, parrot fucker from Riders. All of them actually. Fuck them.

Favorite: Sonic

Least favorite:
giphy.gif

Seriously I love me some Sonic but this isn't a franchise built on strong characters

Favorite: Big The Cat

- Strong cat that Sanic on Freedom Force can trust

Least favorite: Tails The Miles Tails

He's okay, but no Big The Cat

Favorite: Sonic.

Least Favorite: Silver. There is no reason for this character to exist. Also the wisps. That gimmick should not have outlived Sonic Colors.

Favorite: Eggman, especially good old AOSTH Robotnik, my favorite villain of all time.

Least: Silver. Obnoxious, unnecessary, and owes his very existence to a horribly flawed game that retconned itself out of canon. Which begs the question: WHY IS HE STILL HERE IF THE TIMELINE HE WAS BORN IN NEVER HAPPENED ARGH

TheOGB

Banned
Eggman, Blaze, Gamma, and Emerl are the best

Sonic himself is good in the occasions where they strike the right balance between 'cheeky bastard,' 'loveable dork,' and 'obnoxious prick'

The Babylon Rogues (Riders birds) are annoying and Charmy the Bee just sucks

AoSTH Robotnik is hilarious! Genuinely really really funny. "I've just stolen candy from 4,682,512 babies!"

His mother was also hilarious enough to have inspired my user name. Her charging like a bull, buttocks first, towards her enemies was really funny.

SoulUnison

Banned
FAVORITE: Tails. He's like a cool little brother that builds awesome shit. As a kid I thought him owning and maintaining the Tornado was basically the coolest thing ever. Plus, he was, like, the ONLY Sonic Friend at the time. Knuckles was still that weird shady guy who jumped out at the end of levels and blew up bridges.

LEAST: Silver. Just... What the hell? He came back in time to stop Sonic from creating a beast from Islamic mythology? What a bizarre combination of ripping off Dragonball Z and not even remotely trying to read the room. He's just blatantly Trunks the Hedgehog with the most hilariously topically edgy backstory they could give him. AND his whole "from the future" gimmick has made every other appearance he's made incredibly awkward to write about, kind of like Blaze's "from another dimension," which, ironically, also intersects and contradicts with Silver's backstory.

Favorite: Maybe Tails overall, but I dig Blaze the Cat. I think she's a good parallel to Sonic.

Least Favorite: Zeena. Slightly more obscure pull, but she's a villain in Sonic Lost World. In a series with a bat with giant boobs, Zeena is actually the most offensive representation of women in the series by a longshot. She's really gross.

First off, let's pick out the only female in the group!

Zfhn50c.jpg

Now you could maybe confuse "the goth one" on the bottom left, but of course, she's the "sexy" one.

"The goth one?" That's right, Lost World's Deadly Six are mostly based on obvious archetypes. You have the evil leader, the old sage, the crazy one, the goth one (he's probably slightly different for Japan), the fat one, and the female. And I mean her personality is "the female" in a gross way I haven't seen in a while. Yes, she's evil, so she can be shallow and tricked by heroes, got that. But she's literally nothing but shopping, dating, painting her nails, losing weight, etc. The leader talks her into doing something in the most "girls are easily manipulated" way played completely straight. Rouge might be a boob bat, but she has a personality, she has a backstory. She's not a literal 90's Barbie stereotype in green. And if they had even deemed one other of the Deadly Six to be female, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad. But no, she's the token female, in practically every sense.

Bonus: In the 3DS version she has one of the most frustrating and annoying stages that can realistically land you a Time Over at 20 minutes, and people got annoyed with her snowball stages in the Wii U/PC version as well.

Tailzo

I have never before seen so many fav=Tails replies in a single thread before!

If you take a look at my username and avatar, it's pretty easy to know who is my number one character in the Sonic games. Tails aspire to be better every day, he lacks some experience, but tries to believe in himself so he can reach even higher. I also love his Sonic Adventure (1) theme song.

The worst?
I'm not sure, Thre are a lot of characters I don't really care for. Silver, the Riders characters, that sidekick in Sonic Rush Adventure 2...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Other than Sonic, I'd say E-102 was probably my favorite. I really liked his campaign in SA1 for both its gameplay and its storytelling. Playing from the perspective of a rogue badnik was pretty cool.

My least favorite, on the other hand, convinced me to drop the franchise entirely:

Ow_the_edge.jpg

AGoodODST

In the original 2D games the characters were fine because they didn't talk.

Then they started talking and now they are all awful.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Favourite: Tails (Mega Drive, before he began opening his mouth)
Least favourite: It's hard to decide between Charmy (What is a top secret disc?), Big (Where are you Froggy?) and Chaos (hours of my life wasted for an abomination just to play Green Hill 3D / Metal Sonic. Seriously, fuck Chaos. Or don't - I don't want them to breed).

My favorites are Sonic and Blaze. Especially Blaze, she's cool. I also like Eggman, Knuckles, Amy and Tails.

The rest are pretty blah.

I only really like the classic characters.

I guess my least favorite is Shadow. I actually loved him in SA2, but over the years he's outstayed his welcome, and jumped just about every shark.

Mista Koo

Favorite: Tails.

Least favorite: Rogue, and every other female really. I just think it's weird how they wear clothes, which is a shame since Blaze and Cream are cool in concept.

NotLiquid

Blaze does not get enough credit as a character in this series and she's sorely underutilized.

Her design is fantastic, her power set is awesome and her personality/development is sweet - something of a stoic ice queen (irony) with justified reasons for such, who learns to be true to her more compassionate side after finally making friends. It almost validated Cream for me. Among all the cries of shitty friends, Blaze really doesn't get enough of a chance to stand out.

RRockman

Banned
Blaze does not get enough credit as a character in this series and she's sorely underutilized.

Her design is fantastic, her power set is awesome and her personality/development is sweet - something of a stoic ice queen (irony) with justified reasons for such, who learns to be true to her more compassionate side after finally making friends. It almost validated Cream for me. Among all the cries of shitty friends, Blaze really doesn't get enough of a chance to stand out.

THANK YOU! My thoughts exactly. This why I was livid We never got a Sonic Rush 3. She probably isn't going to get attention like that EVER now.

Favorites: Knuckle and Cream. I'ved loved these two from the moment they both joined the franchise. Knuckles for just how more fucking awesome he is compared to Sonic and Cream...well she's a cute rabbit that can fly.

Least: Big the Cat, Shadow. Please remove them from the franchise, thank you.

Top Bottom