• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite and Least Favorite Sonic Characters?

Baleoce

Favourite: Dr Robotnik from 'The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" cartoon. Long John Baldry was a legend. Scratch and Grounder were amazing in the cartoon as well.

Least favourite: Too many to count.

Favourite: Metal Sonic in its many guises, but primarily as the final boss of S3&K.

Least favourite: Big, a meandering waste of space that I have never enjoyed needing to deal with in any way, shape or form.

woopWOOP

I unironically like Big the Cat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He's a big dopey fluffy fatty cat without a care in a world of serious spaghetti limb characters
His English Barney the dinosaur voice is pretty awful but whatever, he's still adorable
(too bad his fishing game in SA1 kinda sucked total ass)

Cream's mom looks fucking weird so I guess she's my least favourite

Jazzem

Favourite: Sonic/Tails/Knuckles/Robotnik/Metal Sonic. Also don't mind Blaze, think she's by far the best female character.

Least Favourite: Silver or Shadow, ugh...along with non-Robotnik humans generally, the kid in the X anime was especially insufferable

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
There is only sonic tails and knuckles vs dr ROBOTNIK.

everything after that is clownshit and should be burried alive

Favorite character: Sonic. His design, moves set and personality are iconic. Genesis era's Knuckles is cool too.

In the other hand, I hate Rougue the bat. Her design is offensive.

And please, Sonic Team needs to stop to overdevelop it character. I want them as simple as posible. The same goes for the plot.

I prefer Sonic Unleashed and Color's plot over adventure series any day.

If they want to tell a convoluted story, use Phantasy Star o Burning Rangers series instead.

Keasar

Favourite: Sonic. The original one that had his mouth shut.

Least:
giphy.gif

else.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I like Knuckles, unlike Sonic he don't chuckle

I also like Shadow, but only in SA2.

I'm a fan of the whole "good guy on the wrong side for reasons" trope. I loved the Knuckles story segments in SA1/SA2, and I was kind of upset he became a bit character after that. His whole guardian schtick is one of my favorite things about classic Sonic. He was a total badass in Sonic 3 as well.

MrBadger

Well the best is obviously Classic Sonic. Fantastic, expressive design that took away Nintendo's dominance on the console market. But other than that, my favourite design is Chaos

There are way too many I don't like. Silver is a shit character, with a lazy design that's basically just Sonic with different hair. You could say the same for Shadow, but he's meant to be an evil Sonic (despite Metal Sonic already existing). It's really no wonder there are so many recolours and fan characters when you have official characters like him. Also I've always found the SatAM crew to be creepy and weird.

My favourite is Vanilla the Rabbit. She's attractive and is the size of an average human mother.

I wish I didn't understand this reference.

There is only sonic tails and knuckles vs dr ROBOTNIK.

everything after that is clownshit and should be burried alive

latest

tbh I think Eggman's the better name. In my mind, Robotnik is this guy

Image2.jpg

Veedot

Fave: Tails, growing up my older brother was in love with anything Sonic and when we were kids i would always be player 2 Tails. But my bro loved Sonic so much that he felt only he could play Sonic. Even if I played Sonic 2 by myself he would make me switch to Tails.
So because of that Tails grew on me and he's was probably my first favorite video game character. Tails also kind of sparked my interest for underdog characters because when I got older everyones favorites were Sonic, Knuckles, or Shadow. I had to deal with people talking like "you like Tails? why? he's a bitch ass pussy" then they would compare him to their badass savior Shadow and speaking of him...

Least Favorite: Shadow post SA2, I was fine with him in SA2 but after I couldn't stand him or his fans that thought he was so badass.

Absolute worst is Chip but I just pretend he doesn't exist.

Honorable mention: Shade from sonic chronicles, I thought she was a pretty cool character. Its a shame the babylon rogues appear in more games than her
latest

Village

My favorite:Shadow, I like his design, i like what he's about. I like that he to put it succinctly can be about different things.

Least favroite:.... Do comics count?

Because if so Sally Acorn, And rotor, just... Just crist those two are bad

If they don't charmy, probably. It sucks, but he has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and he's so bad that his creator low key denied he created him on a stream with ruby eclipse like.... months ago.

Village

Honorable mention: Shade from sonic chronicles, I thought she was a pretty cool character. Its a shame the babylon rogues appear in more games than her
latest

Sega doesn't seem like/or really care about sonic chronicles, which I understand because its not a good video game. However this is usual for spin offs they don't make themeslves like them not caring about anything besides emeri from sonic battle, which is actually a good video game. So that sucks.

Also ken penders and his lawsuit, whilist already not giving a shit , might have insentivised them to give less of a shit.

She ain't coming back, knuckles is the only echidina ever, ever. And that's what they want. And that kind of sucks, but again sega not giving a shit about most of the things in spin offs they don't make isn't really new. And sega having arbitrary rules about lore making lore worse isn't really knew, like how only MALE hedgehogs can go super for some dumb ass reason.

Vector is both the best and worst Sonic character.

How are you going to say vector and he's on the team with charmy.

Village

Blaze does not get enough credit as a character in this series and she's sorely underutilized.

Her design is fantastic, her power set is awesome and her personality/development is sweet - something of a stoic ice queen (irony) with justified reasons for such, who learns to be true to her more compassionate side after finally making friends. It almost validated Cream for me. Among all the cries of shitty friends, Blaze really doesn't get enough of a chance to stand out.

Yep.
I agree. I would argue rouge doesn't really get that either.

They are two characters that could have had cool stories, but after their initial appearance got got trapped to being sidekick/girlfriend characters to two male characters... because I guess they wanted to push them I guess.

Sega people even admitted that they forgot what her backstory was and just put her in sonic 06. And instead of fixing it they just continue to reference her as being in sonic 06, and just not use her at all. It sucks its really clear that sega treats male and characters differently. And it kind of really sucks.

I'm not saying that her whole issue is just that, maybe her design isn't really as good as some other characters, or maybe she was just introduced in a game not that many people played. But I do feel like a lot of it has to do with sega having this weird " Well she's a girl character so who cares I guess " attitude with her. And most if not all female characters , until sticks from sonic boom.

Unknown?

Yeah. I love his classic design. You have to put in some real effort to fuck him up as badly as they did with Adventure and after.

He's not the best though. This is the best:
49e.gif
Hahaha wtf! His Adventure style was Mike's better than fat original Sonic. Modern(like 06 and on) not at all though.

mrmickfran

Favorite: Tails, Knuckles, Blaze

Least Favorite: Silver (before Generations, he's fucking awesome in Generations), Elise,

Rogue does need a redesign. More emphasizd on her personality and cunning ways. Sonic is for all ages and it just feels weird that her design is sexualized.

Also, Metal Sonic is pretty cool, forgot about him.

Favorite: Eggman / Robotnik in every appearance except SatAM

Least Favorite: Robotnik in SatAM, he's been portrayed with a better balance between comedic and menacing in Adventure 2 and Colors

shaowebb

Favorite= Sally Acorn
Least Favorite= Amy Rose

I'm a Sat-am fan from my childhood. Sally was awesome. She called out Sonic for his shit all the time, was smart, a leader and a perfect foil for Sonic in general. Amy is nigh yandere levels of creepy fangirl and is just there to yell how amazing Sonic is at the audience. Wish the sat-am crew had made it into games instead. They were actually developed characters unto themselves.
:(

TrueBlue

I assume those putting Modern Sonic as least favourite is mostly from a design standpoint - or from a "this is when the series started to suck" view?

Because even at his worst, as a character, he's never been as bad as characters like Charmy, Silver, Chip or Elise.

Favourite: Sonic, Eggman, Shadow (I'll always be fond of him, as awful as he can be), Knuckles and Blaze.

Favourites:
Blaze the Cat (shame that her last playable role was in 06)
Robotnik (AoStH era)
Chaos 0
E-102 Gamma

Least favourites
Big, Cream, Silver, Charmy (nobody would be sad if they never returned)
Everything from Lost World.

Piers

Favourite: Tikal.
She has the most interesting arc out of all the characters, given that she once 'failed' to stop a calamity from happening and had to resort to sealing herself and Chaos inside the Master Emerald forever. It provides interesting lore to Knuckle's tribe and the very fact the Master Emerald we saw from S3&K was actually housing a massive threat is striking. (Which suggests why the seven Emeralds got the 'Chaos' prefix)

And she provides one of the best contexts I've seen in a game narrative; Tikal is the ball of light that provides hints and tutorials to characters, as well as showing them the past. Eggman is at total risk of screwing the whole world over again and Tikal does everything she possibly can to avert it.
And partly fails once more.

Which is also why the Super Sonic fight is also my favourite. This isn't simply saving the day in desperate times, it's repaying Tikal back for all her efforts to help the cast of characters. Tails' "neutralising Chaos's brain!!" excuse is total cringe, though.

PulseMC

Neo Member
Favorite: Shadow the Edgehog

Least favorite: Knuckles "literally the worst stages of any game ever" the Echidna

Top Bottom